(03-08-2005) Venues Battle for U2 Concerts -- WCCO*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Venues Battle for U2 Concerts

Minneapolis (WCCO) On Monday, the Target Center announced one of the hottest bands in the world is coming to downtown Minneapolis this fall.

U2 is coming to the Target Center Sept. 23 as part of their “Vertigo” tour. The Target Center is not the only local venue that wanted the concert, though.

The Xcel Energy Center also put in a bid for the U2 show, which is sure to be a sell-out.

But, in the concert venue, the Target Center came out on top.

The Xcel Center wanted U2 and the general manger of the Xcel told WCCO-TV their venue made U2 “a favorable offer,” but, “the Band’s management made a final decision.”

That decision disappointed some U2 fans.

“I saw U2 play a year or two ago at the Target Center and it sounded ok, but it could have been better,” said Ryan Kirdida, a U2 fan. “I’d rather see them at the Xcel.”

The Target Center said it has recently made some changes that have helped to improve audio quality. One change was the seating arrangement. The arena has decreased the number of openings, saying fewer openings mean better sound quality.

On the ceiling, there are also new round acoustical fixtures to absorb excess sound.

The Target Center said it can draw top artists because they like the nearby upscale restaurants and amenities, like the Meridian hotel, where a suite can cost $5,000 a night. For the fans, there is plenty of nearby parking.

“We have gotten into that competitive situation where we have to sell the building, we have to sell the staff, we have to sell the city,” said Sandy Sweetser, with Target Center Marketing. “All those things combined made U2 and their management decide this is where we want to be.”

For most of the big name acts coming to town, there is usually a pretty fierce bidding war between the Xcel and Target Centers.

Ticket prices and when the tickets go on sale have not yet been announced. It was announced tickets will start at $49.50 for standing room general admission near the stage.

The band has days off before and after the concert, so it is possible additional concert dates in the Twin Cities could be added, if the first show sells out.

ImOuttaControl said:
The Excel center is 100X the venue that the Target Center is. It's a shame they went with the shit building that has a reputation of ruining sound.

Agreed!

Come on Larry. You fixed the presale and made it a smashing success. Now change the Twin Cities venue and show everyone who really runs this band!

The Xcel Center is a great venue, and I was really hoping U2 would play there. I've never been to the Target Center - this is the first I've heard about the sound issues there. I certainly hope they get it fixed!

I would tend to think that familiarity would be the main reason - U2 have been playing Minneapolis since First Ave. was still Uncle Sam's. They only exception would be the multiple nights they did at the St. Paul Civic Center during the Joshua Tree tour.

Even though they are world-traveling-super-mega-rockstars, they - and their management - are bound to remember Minneapolis. They started at Uncle Sam's, played the old Minneapolis Auditorium, have played the Target Center during Zoo TV (first leg), and Elevation, and went up the street to the Metrodome for Pop.

If their only memories of St.Paul were that of the dilapitated old Civic Center - it's no wonder that they have no problems staying with what they know. I know that Xcel is hands-down the better arena, but Minneapolis is waaaaaaay more happenin' of a place. No disrespect to St.Paul, they may have come a long way from the after-dark ghost town that it was for the eighties and nineties, but it still has a long way to go.

I mean, it's got to be cool to actually be playing in an arena across the street from the first club that you ever played at - keepin' it real.

probably who's connected with which corporations, that's unfortunately how these things usually work.

Back
Top Bottom