(03-06-2005) Snow: Bono May Make Short List for World Bank -- AP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Snow: Bono May Make Short List for World Bank

WASHINGTON (AP) — Treasury Secretary John Snow on Sunday would not rule out the idea of Irish singer Bono, an activist on debt relief and AIDS, making the short list of potential candidates to lead the World Bank even though an American is expected to get the job.

"He's somebody I admire. He does a lot of good in this world of economic development," Snow said.

"Most people know him as a rock star. He's in a way a rock star of the development world, too. He understands the give-and-take of development. He's a very pragmatic, effective and idealistic person," Snow said.

Snow is part of the Bush administration team working on finding a successor to James Wolfensohn, who is stepping down as head of the development bank on June 1.

Asked whether the Irish singer would make the short list of candidates that Snow is preparing for President Bush, the secretary said: "I am not going to review here all the candidates that are on the list. But I will attest to my admiration for Bono."

Bono toured Africa with Snow's predecessor, Paul O'Neill, who focused a lot of attention during his time at the Treasury on poverty and diseases such as AIDS in Africa.

Bono has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for international social justice efforts that include trying to persuade rich nations to relieve the debt of poor nations.

Another candidate who has surfaced is Carly Fiorina, the recently ousted chief executive of Hewlett-Packard Co.

"She's also a friend and somebody I think well of," Snow told ABC's This Week. But, he added, "I think we're going to have to wait to reveal that next president of the World Bank for a little while."

The administration began the search for Wolfensohn's successor in early January and said it would talk to other countries that belong to the 184-nation World Bank. The administration wants to name a replacement before Wolfensohn's term ends.

The United States is the World Bank's largest member nation. The bank traditionally has had an American president.

"I fully expect that to be the case, yes, and so do the G-7 (Group of Seven) finance ministers and all of the participants in the process," Snow said. "I've had any number of calls from finance ministers from around the world saying they want it to be an American."

The bank's sister institution, the International Monetary Fund, traditionally has been headed by a European.

Other names floated for the World Bank job include: John Taylor, the Treasury Department's undersecretary for international affairs; Peter McPherson, the former head of Michigan State University who served as Bush's point man on rebuilding Iraq's financial system; Randall Tobias, Bush's global AIDS coordinator; and Christine Todd Whitman, the former head of the Environmental Protection Agency.

If John Snow has THAT much admiration for Bono, why doesn't he push harder for the Bush Administration to support and fulfill ONE of Bono's dearest wishes - and one that he has expressed over and over again to the Bush Administration - 100% COMPLETE DEBT CANCELLATION FOR THE WORLD'S POOREST COUNTRIES?

All the nice words in the world doesn't impress Bono because he knows that those words don't feed hungry bellies, provide clean water to poor communities, educate poor children or provide health care and ARV's to poor people.

Bono isn't fooled by a handshake and a smile - neither am I.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:yes:

Are you :censored: SERIOUS?!?!?!

Does Bush think that Bono is so niave that Bono would take the position even IF he wanted to (which obviously he doesn't!!!!) < Bush wants someone who is malleable, someone who would be easy to bend with threats, flattery, or otherwise, (even bribes..heck, he's bribed most of the newsmedia into becoming little more than passive yes-men), but my GOD, someone with EXPERIENCE!!!!! Sweet Jesus!!

I can't believe Snow would make a serious public comment about this!! It has to be merely for the sake of public relations. Soke bizarre way to get Europe's approval in a time when he is desperately trying to win over Europena hearts and minds to get more money for his domestic schemes and Iraq. It HAS to be.

This might just be the most bizarre thing about U2 that has ever happened, in a long list of bizarre things. It;s very perversely cool though. Bono might do better as a peace envoy.

Jeez, Bono will be asked to sing at the Pope's funeral next (lets not hope this happnes anytime soon though.)

Last edited:
Jamila said:
If John Snow has THAT much admiration for Bono, why doesn't he push harder for the Bush Administration to support and fulfill ONE of Bono's dearest wishes - and one that he has expressed over and over again to the Bush Administration - 100% COMPLETE DEBT CANCELLATION FOR THE WORLD'S POOREST COUNTRIES?

How do you know he isn't pushing harder to his/this administration?

Seems he doesn't have a problem putting his opinion out there in the press.
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000006&sid=agXdkaUV9kfc&refer=home

anyway, good for him. :up:

Too bad it's not just up to him and Bono. But every little bit helps, don't you think?

Jamila,
Yo are so right, these people are playing politics.......maybe they want Bono in the job to gain credibility and make him kiss their asses, or even shut his mouth

Bono would never accept that job

It doesn't sound like they want Bono in the job--and really, they'll need to hire someone with an academic background in international economics and policy development. As much as I love Bono and his commitment to changing the world, I don't think he'd even be a plausible candidate for this kind of work...and as others have said, he wouldn't even want the job!

No, Bono doesn't want this job. He already has a damn good one. Some idiot on one of my lefty lists took a cheap shot at him over this, I'm thinking of quitting in protest.

Last edited:
What incredible to me is that the Dallas local news has been covering this story, focusing on Bono since this morning.

It was on both local news channels I watched this morning, and now it's on the 10 o'clock news.

Back
Top Bottom