(03-03-2007) Photos of Bono, and video of his speech, at NAACP Awards - Yahoo!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Photos of Bono, and video of his speech, at NAACP Awards

Go here to check out fantastic shots of our main man Bono as he was on hand to receive the Chairman's Award at the 38th NAACP Image Awards last night in Los Angeles. Also follow the same link or go to YouTube to watch video of his impassioned speech.

Congrats B!

Last edited:
This is such a great speech! I know he repeated bits from the national prayer breakfast but - thats not a bad thing

Bono normally adds parts of previous speeches into his current ones - what's unfortunate is that the situation for Africa hasn't changed enough for him to be able to eliminate certain parts of his speeches. :|

And, as a person who has seen Bono speak at seven different occasions, I can tell you that he ALWAYS lights an audience on fire when he speaks - especially when in front of predominantly African-American audiences.

The Disciple - I like your sig. :wink:

KUDOS TO BONO! :bow: :bonodrum:

Jamila said:
Bono normally adds parts of previous speeches into his current ones - what's unfortunate is that the situation for Africa hasn't changed enough for him to be able to eliminate certain parts of his speeches. :|

That's right. :(

This is a speak from 2004, for example.
http://u2tour.de/news/article1451.html

The part that it's cheaper to help Africans now instead of fighting them in the future was also part of his acceptance speech for the TED price one year later. But he gives really great speeches.

The article below describes the impact of his speech. The author writes in the introduction that the list of speakers was impressive, with the likes of Gerhard Schröder, James Wolfensohn, Richard Holbrook and Jürgen Schrempp (ex-chairman of DaimlerChrysler). But Bono excelled everyone.

"From the high-class guests from all over the world this speech got most concentration and ovations."

Jamila said:

True, But one thing that is good is that at least he stays on message. In ths soundbite culture sometimes a little repetition is needed to make sure a message reaches a public audience.

There is a great bit he did at Penn on "blindspots" I really wish he'd bring that back.

He's a great man!
We're lucky enough to share this time and space with him.

Has anybody got the transcript of the speech?

Last edited:
Here's the last part. Not sure about that pulper word though :huh:

This is true religion, true religion will not let us fall asleep in the comfort of our freedom. Love thy neighbor is not a piece of advice, it's a command and that means a lot, that means that in the global village we're gonna have to start loving a whole lot more people. His truth is marching on. Two million Americans have signed up to the ONE campaign to make poverty history, tonight the NAACP has signed up to work with us and so can you. His truth is marching on. Because WHERE YOU LIVE SHOULD NOT DECIDE, WHETHER YOU LIVE OR WHETHER YOU DIE. And to those in the church who still sit in judgment on the AIDS emergency, let me climb in to the pulper for just one moment, for whatever thoughts we have about God, who he is, or even if God exists, most will agree that God has a special place for the poor, the poor are where God lives, God is in the slums, in the cardboard boxes where the poor play house, God is where the opportunity is lost, where lives are shattered, God is with the mother who's infected her child with a virus that will take both their lives, God is under the rubble and the cries we hear during war time, God my friends is with the poor, and God is with us if we are with them. This is not a burden, this is an adventure, don't let anyone tell you it cannot be done, we could be the generation that ends extreme poverty.
Thank you.

The word is probably "pulpit".

I've been trying to find a complete transcript of the speech too -- and so far, I haven't been successful.

Only people that follow his every appearance like we do would notice he reuses some bits...but ya know what, the points he uses all the times are strong and piognant. And I have never heard him use those phrases before like he did that night! He was captivating!

:yes: :up: :applaud: Wow! Bono has become a Very Good speaker and modivator!! Whew....Awesome!:bow: Yes, u r right Arun I agree with you! Kudos! Yes, I do think Bono said 'Pulpit'!

Back
Top Bottom