(03-03-2006) Bono salutes Argentina's 'Mothers' - Yahoo*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono salutes Argentina's 'Mothers'

Singer Bono and the band U2 saluted the ageing Argentinian Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo at their final concert in Buenos Aires, honouring the human rights group.

Five of the famously handkerchiefed Mothers, whose sons and daughters went missing during a state crackdown on dissent during the 1976-83 junta era, were on hand for the last of two concerts U2 gave before more than 60,000 fans at a soccer stadium.

Bono sang Miss Sarajevo and walked out across a platform near where the Mothers were standing. He singled them out and urged the audience to work across the political spectrum for world peace.

"Let's work together, left and right, rich and poor, young and old," Bono said before performing his hit One.

The Mothers have been marching weekly for a quarter of a century, pressing for information about those killed or still missing from the seven-year "Dirty War" crackdown.

An official accounting lists at least 13,000 victims while human rights groups say the toll is at least twice that.

http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyn...-salutes-argentina-s-mothers.html&e=l_news_dm

If Bono knew that several of the "madres", including their leader, Hebe de Bonafini, are politically interested ladies that use their loss as a way to obtain things in exchange, he may change his mind...

U2@NYC said:
If Bono knew that several of the "madres", including their leader, Hebe de Bonafini, are politically interested ladies that use their loss as a way to obtain things in exchange, he may change his mind...

yes, or he maybe knows the implications, and chooses to support them anyway :shrug:

cg said:

yes, or he maybe knows the implications, and chooses to support them anyway :shrug:

Well, if he does, I do not agree with him.

The true idelology of the Madres has been completely lost. These current ones only care about politics...

didn't know about it... and I think it's really sad!
Unfortunately your statement do not tell much... do you have any other information?

lady luck said:
didn't know about it... and I think it's really sad!
Unfortunately your statement do not tell much... do you have any other information?

Simply two statements from Hebe de Bonafini, head of the Madres, should give you an idea of her line of thought:

On September 11th: "I am so glad about the strike on the towers. It is about time that Americans feel at home what they have been causing all over the world".

On the death of John Paul II: "I am so happy that he is gone. I am sure that this Pope, instead of going to heaven, will be much better in hell".

Two pathetic comments which reflect the true idiosincrasy of this group... :down:

U2@NYC said:

Simply two statements from Hebe de Bonafini, head of the Madres, should give you an idea of her line of thought:

On September 11th: "I am so glad about the strike on the towers. It is about time that Americans feel at home what they have been causing all over the world".

On the death of John Paul II: "I am so happy that he is gone. I am sure that this Pope, instead of going to heaven, will be much better in hell".

Two pathetic comments which reflect the true idiosincrasy of this group... :down:

yup, I agree... that's why I'm kinda happy I went to the first gig when th Madres didn't go onstage... I can't stand hypocrisy, and I think that using the death of relatives, is actually pathetic... I don't think Bono knows this BTW, U2 was the first band to preform on the US after 9/11. He should surely do his homework :wink:

maybe you are right and bono does not know about the statements this woman has made, but i think, regardless, he often chooses to see things from his own prism and sort of delete the bad out of people and just focus on the good. in this case i would think he sees the struggle of the mothers as a good and just thing to support.

was this woman at the concert?

btw - thanks for the background u2@nyc.

Back
Top Bottom