(03-02-2005) Sit back and relax? Bono's wife can't - ThisisLondon*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://images.thisislondon.co.uk/v2/london_cuts/_front/alihewsonR020305_100x110.jpg[/SIMG]
Sit back and relax? Bono's wife can't

By Liz Jones, Evening Standard

Having lunch with Ali Hewson, the wife of Bono, lead singer of U2, at the Clarence Hotel in Dublin, partly owned by her husband. Their oldest daughter, Jordan, turns up dressed in the typical teenage wardrobe of skinny jeans, bomber jacket and trainers. At 15, she is already a beauty, with huge, blue eyes. "Her dad's," beams Ali. "I remember when I saw Bono on stage for the first time and all I could see were his eyes, it was as if they were lit up. They were electrifying. Amazing."

I ask Jordan whether having Bono (Ali calls him "B") as her father can sometimes be a little embarrassing. Does he wear those wraparound dark glasses to breakfast? She laughs. "No," Jordan says, "he's kind of boring, but sometimes when he drives us to school he wears just his dressing gown, and has the music turned up really loud." Does he give her a hard time when it comes to boyfriends? "Well, I don't have a boyfriend yet," she says, squirming, "so he thinks I'm a real loo-ser."

Ali and Bono, who live in the Dublin suburb of Killiney, have four children. As well as Jordan, there is Eve, 13, Elijah, five, and John Abraham, three. "We also have two dogs and a rock band," says Ali, who was terrified she was going to be late for our shoot as the nanny had called in sick. She ended up doing the "very complicated" school run in her husband's Maserati, and then haring into Dublin in the snow.

Bono is in Mexico, rehearsing for U2's American tour. The whole family, plus tutors, will be joining him next month, but he phones "all the time" according to Ali. He wrote The Sweetest Thing when he missed her birthday.

"Dad is always going away," says Jordan, "but he always comes back."

"Elijah will never say goodbye to anyone," says Ali, "he just goes downstairs until they've gone, it's so sad and so sweet." "I think he's just plain rude," says Jordan.

Ali, who at 42 has pale skin, rosy cheeks and inky hair, prefers to be low-key, which is why the couple still lives in the city they grew up in and why they try very hard to make sure their children grow up appreciating how lucky they are. "We have taken them to the townships in South Africa," says Ali. "And although they have much more than Bono and I did growing up - Bono's dad was in the postal service, my mum and dad had an electrical business - we don't spoil them.

"When I first went to Ethiopia with Bono 20 years ago for Band Aid, we slept in a tent for five weeks, we saw children dying around us, and when we came back to Dublin we were in shock that there was all this food in the supermarket, that we had so much stuff. It was obscene."

Ali, who has just launched an ethical clothing range, has never been a typical rock star wife. She is the antithesis of bling; the only jewellery she wears apart from her wedding band is a simple pearl necklace, given to her by Bono but hidden under her black polo neck. While Bono's career was taking off in 1987 with the release of The Joshua Tree album, making them the biggest band in the world, with album sales over 100 million, Ali was studying for a degree in political science at University College. "I gave birth to Jordan two weeks before my finals," she says.

She became involved in fundraising for the children of Chernobyl in 1993, making an Oscar-winning documentary; she is godmother to a child she met while in the Ukraine. Ali once left Bono with the kids so that she could drive an ambulance to Belarus. In 2002, she began a campaign to close Sellafield, the nuclear reactor across the Irish Sea in Cumbria.

Ali has been shot at in Sarajevo and El Salvador. But it wasn't Band Aid 20 years ago that first politicised her. "Even at school, Bono and I would talk about what was wrong with the world," she says. "We grew up hearing about famine. It's part of being Irish."

She first met Bono at the age of 12. They went to the same school, Mount Temple Secondary Modern, and Bono, or plain Paul Hewson, was in the year above.

"He worked very hard at being the heart-throb," she says. "He came up to me within the first day and asked, did I know where his class should be going? It was just an excuse to talk to me, and I thought, 'What an eejit.'

"I remember that on the fourth day at school I saw him walking across the courtyard and it was, bing. That is the guy for me.

"But we waited until we were 15 before we actually started going out. We broke up after six weeks because I had promised my best friend I'd just get him out of my system. That completely bemused him."

He was to be "pretty much" her only proper boyfriend. They married in 1982 in Dublin, in a wedding dress made by her mum; her parents are about to move nearby so that they can be more involved with the children.

They still have the same group of childhood friends - band member The Edge is a mile away; drummer Larry Mullen's girlfriend is Ali's best friend from school - and they all go on holiday together.

"I'm starting to like the music now," she says, "but at first I hated it. I grew up listening to my dad's records, Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole."

The band, later called U2, was formed in 1976 after Mullen pinned up an ad on the school notice board to see if anybody was interested. Ali went to the first gig and thought they were "pretty good".

I ask her if, when the band took off in the early Eighties, she became worried that she would lose him to a supermodel. "Of course," she says. "We sat down and we talked about it. I told him, 'This is how it is going to be.'

"Our marriage has worked because we like each other, because we talk to each other, and we are passionate about what we do. We allow each other to pursue our goals.

"I wouldn't want to be married to someone who wasn't happy with what they were doing in life, and B wouldn't either. I have learned a lot about what it means to be married, how great it can be if you persevere. We're very close. He says I'm very good with the dog whistle."

To read the entire article, please visit ThisisLondon.co.uk.

Thanks Kristy!

Wow. Sometimes it's easy to forget Bono's a husband and father too. I don't know how he does so well as a family man when he's out saving the world so much. They seem like a neat family. God bless them.

This has got to be the most revealing/personal interview of Ali I've ever seen. Very interesting. Even Bono doesn't usually tell all that much about his family and relationship with his wife!

The whole Hewson clan seems so endearing - Bono and Ali seem to have a great ethic on raising the kids. I don't think they'll be ending up like the Hiltons :up:

beau2ifulday said:
The whole Hewson clan seems so endearing - Bono and Ali seem to have a great ethic on raising the kids. I don't think they'll be ending up like the Hiltons :up:

And thank god for that. I totally agree...they definitely seem like excellent parents...their kids are gonna grow up to be wonderful people, no doubt about that (hehe, I loved the little stories about the kids...too cute :D).

"I gave birth to Jordan two weeks before my finals,"

I want to know how on earth she managed to do that and still concentrate on her finals. Wow.

I also loved hearing about how Ali and Bono met and how she grew to like him...that was really cute, too. I really love hearing about how they keep their relationship going...it's just so nice to see that they're still together 20+ years later, that's a real rarity for celebrity-related marriages nowadays, so to see this one still going strong is just very cool. :up: to both Ali and Bono for making it work.

Thanks so much for sharing this article-what a great read. What a great group of people they are.

Angela

:cute: at "Her dad's eyes." comment from Ali.

No," Jordan says, "he's kind of boring, but sometimes when he drives us to school he wears just his dressing gown, and has the music turned up really loud." Does he give her a hard time when it comes to boyfriends? "Well, I don't have a boyfriend yet," she says, squirming, "so he thinks I'm a real loo-ser."
:lol:

"He worked very hard at being the heart-throb," she says. "He came up to me within the first day and asked, did I know where his class should be going? It was just an excuse to talk to me, and I thought, 'What an eejit.' :laugh:

Larry Mullen's girlfriend is Ali's best friend from school :up: I didn't know that.

I've always adored Ali and now I adore her even more.

Some of my favorite quotes:
"He worked very hard at being the heart-throb," she says. "He came up to me within the first day and asked, did I know where his class should be going? It was just an excuse to talk to me, and I thought, 'What an eejit.' "But we waited until we were 15 before we actually started going out. We broke up after six weeks because I had promised my best friend I'd just get him out of my system. That completely bemused him."

:cute:

From Jordan:
"When I was four I'd already met everybody, it's so not a big deal," says Jordan. "But I haven't met Justin Timberlake yet."

:laugh:

What a cutie!

"I ask her if, when the band took off in the early Eighties, she became worried that she would lose him to a supermodel. "Of course," she says. "We sat down and we talked about it. I told him, 'This is how it is going to be.' "

She makes that sound so calm and reasonable, but I bet it was pretty intense at the time! I don't think there's any way it could not have been. Ali says in the Vogue interview, "We gave up shouting years ago", but the 80's were a time when Bono himself described their relationship as "stormy". It's wonderful they survived all of that and have a lovely family and a great marriage.:up:

Bono is very wise kind of guy, as well as being a nut. Hes probably 20 years ahead of most people when it comes to wisdom

"He worked very hard at being the heart-throb," she says. "He came up to me within the first day and asked, did I know where his class should be going? It was just an excuse to talk to me, and I thought, 'What an eejit.'

"I remember that on the fourth day at school I saw him walking across the courtyard and it was, bing. That is the guy for me.
:cute:

What a wonderfull story. Bono is a lucky man to have a wife like Ali. :love:

I think she keeps him with both feet on the ground and that's a good thing.

biff said:
"I ask her if, when the band took off in the early Eighties, she became worried that she would lose him to a supermodel. "Of course," she says. "We sat down and we talked about it. I told him, 'This is how it is going to be.' "

She makes that sound so calm and reasonable, but I bet it was pretty intense at the time! I don't think there's any way it could not have been. Ali says in the Vogue interview, "We gave up shouting years ago", but the 80's were a time when Bono himself described their relationship as "stormy". It's wonderful they survived all of that and have a lovely family and a great marriage.:up:

I think it helps that he seems to have morals.

Back
Top Bottom