(03-01-2007) U2's Bono in Oakland Friday - Oroville Mercury-Register*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2's Bono in Oakland Friday

Rock star joins Rep. Barbara Lee to meet with community leaders about HIV/AIDS problem in the black community

By Josh Richman

International activist rock star Bono is in Oakland Friday to meet with African-American leaders about their community's rampant HIV/AIDS problem, a visit the city's congresswoman hopes will spotlight the disease's toll. But if you're hoping to get a glimpse of him -- well, good luck.

The U2 frontman -- recognized among Time magazine's 2005 Persons of the Year for his work on issues of debt relief and HIV/AIDS, especially in Africa -- will meet behind an East Oakland church's closed doors at 9 a.m. with local service providers and their clients and at 10 a.m. with faith community leaders before holding a brief news conference.

"This visit provides an opportunity for an international AIDS activist to learn about what the epidemic looks like here in the United States and what we are doing to fight it," Lee said Thursday. "The fact that Bono is also a celebrity has the added benefit of shining a light on the terrible toll that AIDS is taking on African Americans in this country, which is something that, to be frank with you, the media has not paid enough attention to, and the public needs to learn more about."

Lee said she got to know Bono through our work in Washington on global AIDS issues, particularly in Africa. "We became friends and I invited him to come out to Oakland to get a first-hand sense of what the epidemic looks like in the African-American community."

Celebrity activists' visits to third-world countries have become almost cliche in recent decades, but -- other than in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina -- such visits to U.S. cities aren't quite so common.

"Look, African Americans make up 12 percent of the population nationally, but 50 percent of new HIV/AIDS cases," Lee said. "In Alameda County, African Americans make up 13 percent of the population and 43 percent of the AIDS cases. The point is that we have a real crisis, here and across the nation, and I don't think that you can be too dramatic in trying to call attention to that.

"You also need to understand that Bono and I both believe that this is a global pandemic, and that if we are going to be effective in ending it, our work in Oakland is going to need to be informed by our work in Africa, and vice versa," she added.

http://www.orovillemr.com/news/bayarea/ci_5335046

No problem. He's getting an award tomorrow night at the NAACP awards show, so he'll have to be down in S.Calif. at some point in the day. :hyper:

I am so close to oakland!!!! It's a closed session though. :sad: So close yet so far meeting Bono. I am literally 10 min by Bart(train) from oakland.

Justin24 said:
I am so close to oakland!!!! It's a closed session though. :sad: So close yet so far meeting Bono. I am literally 10 min by Bart(train) from oakland.

I'm actually working in Oakland today. Bono never called me and told me he was going to be in town. Must be something wrong with my phone. :wink:

Too bad football season's over. Would have loved to see him at a Raider's game.

I just got back from Oakland- and will post pics later...Bono came out after and signed for the fans and took pics.. he went to the airport and is already in LA as this is being typed... I was able to get U2 by U2 signed and an older photo of him and I.. he was very nice as usual it was a blast!

bret6262 said:
I just got back from Oakland- and will post pics later...Bono came out after and signed for the fans and took pics.. he went to the airport and is already in LA as this is being typed... I was able to get U2 by U2 signed and an older photo of him and I.. he was very nice as usual it was a blast!

No Fair.:sad:

bret6262 said:

Cool!
That's great.
I'd love to see some more pics.

Wish I could have gone.
Too much other stuff going on though.

bret6262 said:

Yay Brett..I thought of you and wondered if you were going to be there!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom