(02-28-2007) Bono seeks Obama's help - Chicago Tribune*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono seeks Obama's help

By Mike Dorning

WASHINGTON -- Presidential candidate Barack Obama discussed global issues with U2 singer Bono on Tuesday.

The two met for about a half-hour in the Illinois senator's personal office in the Hart Senate building to talk about the ONE Campaign, a non-profit organization that the Irish rock star helped form to combat AIDS and world poverty, according to Ben LaBolt, a spokesman for Obama.

"Bono was making rounds on the Hill to build support for the ONE campaign. He particularly wanted to meet with Sen. Obama since he's a member of the Foreign Relations Committee and has been active on international poverty and global health issues," LaBolt said.

LaBolt said the two did not discuss particular programs or legislation but "had a general discussion about how foreign assistance to the right programs [anti-poverty, global health] can boost our security and the standing of the U.S. around the world."

----------

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...,1,7168647.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

Did the writer ever think that Obama was looking for Bono's support and where are the photo ops?

(I'd love to see these two together.) :yes:

You mean like this:

prayerbreakfast_03-1.jpg

prayerbreakfast_05-1.jpg

prayerbreakfast_02.jpg

prayerbreakfast-2.jpg

:hmm: I wonder if this is inching toward the same "unofficial" backing that the band gave Bill Clinton during ZooTV.... Obama is probably the most charismatic guy in the field, just as Clinton was. I could see 00s Bono getting along with him the same way as 90s Bono got along with Clinton....:hmm:

Excuse me for not giving details!

The above pictures are from last years National Prayer Breakfast.
And B's hair is just fine, I could tell you their are no plugs!
Continues to play neutral, he will head wherever he can get what he wants for Africa but, I doubt highly that he will back anyone. Not his M.O. I think he swooped in on Obama to make headway for the One campaign. He's getting a head start on him incase does become president.

JCOSTER said:
I doubt highly that he will back anyone. Not his M.O. I think he swooped in on Obama to make headway for the One campaign. He's getting a head start on him incase does become president.

So, that means he thinks he has a real shot....which is essentially showing some faith in the guy and his presidential potential....which is kind of like "unofficially" backing him. I highly doubt Bono will visit waste-of-time Dennis Kucinich. I believe Barack's been on the Foreign Relations Committee since 2005....that's a year and a half to visit the guy to talk about ONE, as opposed to now, in the lead-up to the primaries.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I just don't think it's as 100% ONE-related as some may think.

Awesome! I love to hear about them meeting, two of my most favorite men in the world!
I bet they are friends, even though Bono has to remain neutral for his political posteuring for Africa, but it makes sense to me that they become allies for the common good regardless if Barak makes it all the way to White House or not :)
I know this has nothing to do with deciding a candidates worthiness but it makes me smile to see him with Bono, one of the most admired men in the world. Remember a couple a weeks ago when Barak used City of Blinding Lights for his intro music as he annouced his bid for the Presidency in Illinois? That is my cue that Barak is a U2 fan.....makes me like him even more. :)
Go ahead throw the tomatoes at me.... I don't care!
" I'm getting ready to leave the ground.... ewwwwww EEEWWWewwwwwEEEWWW, OH YOU LOOK SO BEAUTIFUL ....tonight!!"
:rockon: :bonodrum:

Bono deserves a lot of credit on this - he's dead-nuts-on target on how these issues intertwine. So many people try to categorize him as "just another rock star liberal," but the truth is more complex and important...Bono is going to save as many lives as Eisenhower before he's finished. He'll do more than Lennon - because he's an incredible bridge builder.

^ nicely said.

I 'm sure they have spoken before like at the prayer breakfast and you never know he may hit up Hillary (which he should bring a wooden stake with him.) and maybe even Guilliani (now there's a site. )

His agenda is straight forward and I could see him saying, "Listen "O" I'll let you use the COBL if you promise to give a % to Africa :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: " He's a shrewd guy when it comes to his causes. :yes:

^ He did meet Guilliani. I think Bono will make his rounds to all the candidates eventually. Although he'll need more than a wooden stake... never mind.

Don't forget that John Kerry used "Beautiful Day" in his campaingn. Politicians trying to absorb some U2ocity is nothing new.

Last edited:
From today's issue of The Australian:

"The news arm of US TV network ABC bemoaned that likening charismatic politicians to rock stars has become the most annoying cliche of American journalism, then reported that "it is a real rock star, Bono, who has dominated presidential politics for the last 48 hours".

The U2 singer and freelance political activist has had private meetings with five of the big six US presidential contenders this week (John McCain, Hillary Clinton, Mitt Romney, Barack Obama and John Edwards) according to ABC and is about to meet the sixth (Rudolph Giuliani).

Why? Because they like playing U2 on their iPods? No, it's because leveraged off his own celebrity, Bono's ONE Campaign against global poverty and AIDS has harnessed formidable popular support among many, especially young people. A Bono-ONE endorsement is the kind of thing presidential hopefuls want to help burn off their rivals in the run-up to the primaries."

Anu said:
Great pics. Yes, I would be less of a cynical $%^ about B's politics if he would just grow his hair back.

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere else where those of us who miss the hair go to whine?
Oh yes, there are some people around here who would be more than happy about your company. :wink:
I am glad for you guys that you live in a world where somebody's hair and looks is all you have to worry about.

^Coming from a person from a city that doesn't have anything better to do than playing Ba-Ba-Banküberfall when a bank robbery is going next door ;)

Back
Top Bottom