(02-19-2006) The 'Jo-No' Effect in Celebrity Lobbying -- US News and World Report*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
The "Jo-No" Effect in Celebrity Lobbying

By Paul Bedard

Forget "Brangelina" and "Bennifer." When it comes to lobbying pet issues, there's only one celebrity duo that rules in Washington: "Jo-No." " Angelina [Jolie] and Bono have great influence,"says a senior State Department insider. "I guess you call it the 'Jo-No' effect." While they follow in the footsteps of other celebs to push AIDS research (Jolie) and Third World debt relief (Bono), it's how the actress and singer have approached Washington in the past few months that is winning kudos from both political camps. Instead of blasting the establishment like Barbra Streisand, sending antiwar E-mails like Martin Sheen, or just mouthing off like Ted Nugent, they're working inside the system to get what they want in attention and money.

GOP image man Terry Holt recalls helping Bono on his first trip to D.C. in 1999. Holt's top tips: Avert partisanship and learn the issues. "He is smart enough to understand that he has to stay disciplined and not get drawn into other people's battles," says Holt. "You need to know when to keep your mouth shut." A West Wing bigwig praises the duo for avoiding cliched name-calling. "It is the new civility, and it works." A key Democrat agrees, suggesting that Hollywood follow the Jo-No model. "They do their homework," says the Dem. "It's not just some passing fancy for a spoiled celebrity ... they don't just show up at an event and smile for the cameras."

--US News and World Report

Thanks sue4u2!

FINALLY! Finally someone in the media has acknowledged what I've written on this site for a while now - action, especially the right action, is far more important than words alone.

While I find myself agreeing with people like Streisand and even Sean Penn (who is almost too liberal for even me!), I have often felt that these types of celebrities failed in getting their message across. They fought the system, criticized their country and leaders and really didn't learn the issues. As any employee at any company learns from Day 1, the only way to truly get something done is to work within the existing system - not fight it. Fighting it makes one the outsider, the "rabble-rouser" who unwittingly insults those who worked hard to get the system in place in order to have some order instead of chaos.

In the 80's, it was great fun hearing Bono rant about various political issues, whether they be in in Ireland, South Africa or the U.S., in concert. It was good listening to these various anti-war or even somewhat anti-establishment songs.

Trouble is, nothing was really getting done. Bono was now part of a group of anti-anything celebrities who protested in song or in concert and came across as "cool". Bono might have truly been sincere, but ya know, even a part of me wonders how much of that was an act. How much of that ranting and raving was done for show? Given the cynicism on these blue boards today regarding everything Bono does, I wonder if how those speeches would be so readily accepted now if we were able to go back in time and hear them again, fresh, for the first time. Would this blue board be so praise-worthy of the JT era Bono again? Be careful how you answer - I was around at that time, and there was actually quite a bit of complaints about Bono then.

But I digress... as I wrote, Bono was just another anti-something celebrity. In the 80's, though, there was some aspect of it that drew us in. Almost all of the popular artists in the 80's didn't have "speeches" or rants in their songs or work. Sure, there was R.E.M., but who else? Culture Club? Def Leppard? Poison? The Thompson Twins? Debbie Gibson? GnR? Michael Jackson? At least Jackson had some songs about unwanted teenage pregnancy. But really, no artist openly shared his/her/their political gripes like U2. It was a throwback to a lost time. Still, while Bono's rants were "unique" for the era, really, what was getting done? All we heard was a lot of complaining - not much action.

Today's Bono still has his speeches. But instead of openly complaining about war, he puts on an act of a blind-folded prisoner of war. And instead of ranting about a government or the media, he talks about coexisting. He uses the media. He uses his fame. He gets his message across, but in a positive manner. He's not just the coworker who bitches about how much he hates his job, his bosses, and even his coworkers. He's the guy working within the system to help make progress.

Bono is not just talking about a charity or visiting sites - he's doing something. He's gotten his "hands dirty", and really become involved. He's gone to countries to see exactly what's needed. He's formed a charity to meet those needs. He's met with countless government leaders to help fund those needs. And slowly but surely, things are being done.

Years ago, I recall reading Brad Pitt state that U2 was one of his favorite artists. Not sure if this is still true, but if so, it's easy to see why Pitt is now really involved as well. He's got U2's influence and he's now with Jolie. It would be hard for him NOT to get involved. But it's not just his name, Pitt too is really getting involved. He's not just throwing his name around - he's doing something and learning the issues. And Pitt's name gets others really involved like Clooney. Slowly these celebrities are learning that having a full page ad in a paper is nice, but fleeting. It does nothing but help the paper pay bills. If anything, it might alienate fans from that celebrity. But really learning a subject and then, far more importantly, sincerely DOING something is what matters.

Today's Bono impresses me so much more than the one in the 80's. He might not be as cool and his political rants on stage might not be as interesting to hear as they were in 1987, but now he's getting things done. Which is really more important? Coolness or success?

So good job Jolie and Bono - you are an inspiration to me and many others. Keep up the great work!

I have no problem with the article, I am really starting to despise all the "Bradgelina" and "JoNo" acronyms - I think that they really marginalize the seriousness of the work these people do.

These famous individuals are trying to motivate all of us to GET INVOLVED in the movement to end extreme poverty in our world.:wink:

Jamila said:
I have no problem with the article, I am really starting to despise all the "Bradgelina" and "JoNo" acronyms - I think that they really marginalize the seriousness of the work these people do.

I hear you! The first time with Beniffer it was a funny novelty, but it has gotten waaaay old!

Loved the article. One of my fave things about Bono is that he looks for the good in everyone, not for something to criticize. It's easy to find fault in others, it isn't always easy to look past your differences and find some common ground. It takes a big person to be above the finger-pointing and look past the disagreements for the sake of helping another.

I shuttered at the phrase when I saw the Jo-No attatchment, as I'm sure Jolie and Bono have done if they have had any time to read some of the articles written about their work..which I doubt.

The goal remains the same and I admire Jolie an Pitt for their part and of course Bono goes without saying.

I don't want their work reduced to a catch phrase either.. But I also know this type of attention grabbing headline works in today's world - unfortunately. :|

doctorwho said:
Today's Bono impresses me so much more than the one in the 80's.

I feel the same way and basically agree with everything you're saying.
I’m also not very fond of the acronyms (which seem to be so in vogue).

doctorwho said:
FINALLY! Finally someone in the media has acknowledged what I've written on this site for a while now - action, especially the right action, is far more important than words alone.

While I find myself agreeing with people like Streisand and even Sean Penn (who is almost too liberal for even me!), I have often felt that these types of celebrities failed in getting their message across. They fought the system, criticized their country and leaders and really didn't learn the issues. As any employee at any company learns from Day 1, the only way to truly get something done is to work within the existing system - not fight it. Fighting it makes one the outsider, the "rabble-rouser" who unwittingly insults those who worked hard to get the system in place in order to have some order instead of chaos.

In the 80's, it was great fun hearing Bono rant about various political issues, whether they be in in Ireland, South Africa or the U.S., in concert. It was good listening to these various anti-war or even somewhat anti-establishment songs.

Trouble is, nothing was really getting done. Bono was now part of a group of anti-anything celebrities who protested in song or in concert and came across as "cool". Bono might have truly been sincere, but ya know, even a part of me wonders how much of that was an act. How much of that ranting and raving was done for show? Given the cynicism on these blue boards today regarding everything Bono does, I wonder if how those speeches would be so readily accepted now if we were able to go back in time and hear them again, fresh, for the first time. Would this blue board be so praise-worthy of the JT era Bono again? Be careful how you answer - I was around at that time, and there was actually quite a bit of complaints about Bono then.

But I digress... as I wrote, Bono was just another anti-something celebrity. In the 80's, though, there was some aspect of it that drew us in. Almost all of the popular artists in the 80's didn't have "speeches" or rants in their songs or work. Sure, there was R.E.M., but who else? Culture Club? Def Leppard? Poison? The Thompson Twins? Debbie Gibson? GnR? Michael Jackson? At least Jackson had some songs about unwanted teenage pregnancy. But really, no artist openly shared his/her/their political gripes like U2. It was a throwback to a lost time. Still, while Bono's rants were "unique" for the era, really, what was getting done? All we heard was a lot of complaining - not much action.

Today's Bono still has his speeches. But instead of openly complaining about war, he puts on an act of a blind-folded prisoner of war. And instead of ranting about a government or the media, he talks about coexisting. He uses the media. He uses his fame. He gets his message across, but in a positive manner. He's not just the coworker who bitches about how much he hates his job, his bosses, and even his coworkers. He's the guy working within the system to help make progress.

Bono is not just talking about a charity or visiting sites - he's doing something. He's gotten his "hands dirty", and really become involved. He's gone to countries to see exactly what's needed. He's formed a charity to meet those needs. He's met with countless government leaders to help fund those needs. And slowly but surely, things are being done.

Years ago, I recall reading Brad Pitt state that U2 was one of his favorite artists. Not sure if this is still true, but if so, it's easy to see why Pitt is now really involved as well. He's got U2's influence and he's now with Jolie. It would be hard for him NOT to get involved. But it's not just his name, Pitt too is really getting involved. He's not just throwing his name around - he's doing something and learning the issues. And Pitt's name gets others really involved like Clooney. Slowly these celebrities are learning that having a full page ad in a paper is nice, but fleeting. It does nothing but help the paper pay bills. If anything, it might alienate fans from that celebrity. But really learning a subject and then, far more importantly, sincerely DOING something is what matters.

Today's Bono impresses me so much more than the one in the 80's. He might not be as cool and his political rants on stage might not be as interesting to hear as they were in 1987, but now he's getting things done. Which is really more important? Coolness or success?

So good job Jolie and Bono - you are an inspiration to me and many others. Keep up the great work!

well said.

exactly why when bono or even george clooney speaks about something, i'll actually pay attention... and when tim robbins, susan sarandon and especially that humorless douchebag sean penn say anything, i change the channel.

heck, even henry rollins respects bono's work in africa. now that's saying something :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom