(02-16-2007) N.D. Lawmakers Reject Bill to Honor Bono - WaPo*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
N.D. Lawmakers Reject Bill to Honor Bono

BISMARCK, N.D. -- Bono has plenty of fans. But don't count North Dakota lawmakers among them.

Lawmakers in the House defeated a resolution 58-35 Thursday to honor the U2 frontman for his advocacy of debt relief for Third World countries, saying the Irish rocker had no connection to the state.

Fargo state Rep. Scot Kelsh, who sponsored the measure, said he got the idea for the resolution from a magazine published by the National Conference of State Legislatures, which mentioned that no state at the time had approved a resolution to honor the singer.

"This is something that does matter to us as citizens of North Dakota, the United States, and the world at large," Kelsh said.

Rep. Gil Herbel, a Republican, said he initially thought the resolution referred to Sonny Bono, the former singer, Republican congressman and husband of Cher.

"When I saw the resolution, I was looking for Cher's name in there," Herbel said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/16/AR2007021600167.html

Considering that Sonny Bono sadly passed away (due to an accident) in the 90's and that his big claim to fame was 40 years ago, one would think that reference to Bono would be obvious. Yet, after all these years, jokes between Bono and Sonny Bono remain. Sigh...

I don't really care if North Dakota honors Bono or not. It's not exactly some powerhouse state in the union. ;)

It would seem odd for North Dakota to give him something out of the blue. Bono hasn't even been there, has he?

I know people who still don't know who Bono is. But I would think that people involved in politics would have heard at least something about him by now. :shrug:

This was funny:
Keith Olbermann's Show # 2 - on his Odd Ball segment:
Noting that Rep. Gil Herbel, R-Grafton, had admitted during the floor debate that he did not know who Bono was and thought it might refer to the late Sonny Bono, Olbermann jabbed: “The Internet will be getting out to North Dakota any day now.”

Why would any state legislature be wasting time on nonsense like this? I mean, honestly, North Dakota must be utopia on Earth if they have nothing better to do than to propose bills like this one.

anitram said:
Why would any state legislature be wasting time on nonsense like this? I mean, honestly, North Dakota must be utopia on Earth if they have nothing better to do than to propose bills like this one.

Unfortunately, I don't think a place like ND does have anything better to do.

Back
Top Bottom