(02-16-2005) U2 Working On How To Dismantle A Ticket-Scalping Bomb - MTV* - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > 'Zine (archived) > U2 News
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2005, 04:22 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by caragriff

i think we should be grateful we are getting any shows at all.

MsMofoGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:31 AM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by caragriff

I'm feeling that way now too; I found the grammys bit really affecting. This has got to be a really really tough time and I just hope they're truly okay for touring...I don't even feel like thinking about what would be "the right" way to handle fall legs, arena tickets, venues, blah blah.
I've never been to a U2 concert, but I've gotten the hints from you all how intense it is. And read/heard the comments from the boys how important playing live is to them. I just hope things go well so that leaving home and family feels right.

Things are just clearly shitty in the concert-ticketing world and they are a huge act with massive appeal so unless there is a very very high level of organization and attention paid to the whole process, the evils of it all will surface bigtime. Larry's comments were just an incredible statement to me, in the context of this industry-wide problem, and very open and personal about the specifics of their situation.

cheers all...

ShellBeThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by caragriff

I do too. They don't *have* to do this tour. In fact, I think it's incredible that they are willing to put up with this much hassle and stress to make people happy. Quite frankly if it were me I just might stay home. And like Larry said, it's not possible for them to please everyone. I think they've handled this situation with alot of class, so I really don't have time to read any complaints over the matter now. I find these complaints both childish and *incredibly* cruel. They make my blood boil.
verte76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:02 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Plain and simple, U2 rocks!
nbcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
[B]

I do too. They don't *have* to do this tour. In fact, I think it's incredible that they are willing to put up with this much hassle and stress to make people happy.
I agree. The fact they that have decided to do it is just amazing.
I don't know any other band that would do it under the same circumstances.
LostAtMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #26
Refugee

Oh God...I am NOT complaining!!!!!!!!!!! I was one of the few people on here trying to garner sympathy for the band, BEFORE the general sales.

So this "people being told that there won't be any onsale, even though the shows aren't announced yet" crap IS happening in Europe too?!?!? Oh, you poor, poor people. We have seen this stuff in the past for other acts, it;s kind of de rigateur, for any event where Ticketmaster is the only one handling the sales. It has become such a scandal that local gov't officials have done investigations into it, after huge public pressure (again, read the now-famous report that has been going around the Net since the sales-www.oag.state.ny.us/press/reports/scalping/exec_summary.html

The big difference between now and the Elvation tour is: in the past, U2 fans have largely escaped this because they deliberatley avoided using TM at all costs. They always chose smaller companies to sell their fan club tix, and left TM for the general sales. TM hainvg many smaller comeditors in the ticket market, they could not have total control and rob people blind, only on a limited basis, but if you read my link (PLEASE do) you'll see how bad it was even then. In the spring of 2002, global behemoth Clear Chennel bought Ticketmaster, which itself had just swallowed old promoter Micheal Cohl's Canadian SFX. TM acuied owenership of all the major venues in NorthAmerica (and now I am guessinf the major venues of Europe too?) and they immediately bought out and destroyed ALL the samller ticket companies. There may be some still out there, but they can't anywhere within shouitng distance of an arena in a major market. So basically, Clear Channel and its lapdog Ticketmaster are the ONLY company in the game.

The changes have been so swift and so sickening that many still don't get it. TM now controls EVERYTHING so there is nothing to stop them from taking however many tickets for their friends as they want. I had no idea they were selling tix in Europe is well and I want to know: JUST HOW THE DID THEY GET THEIR SLIMY CLAWS INTO YOUR CONTINENT??? If you guys are now saying, "JUst another example of American imperialism", I;d have to agree with you on this!!!
Teta040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:00 AM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Larry has always been the leader of the band. He stays in the background, but it seems like a lot of the really hard decisions end up being made by him, and the rest of the band look to him to keep them honest. He's quiet, but very opinionated, has very strong convictions, and speaks when he needs to.

He's the father of the band, literally and figuratively.
"My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music" -- Bono
The continuous search for purpose...
Mark Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:44 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LostAtMoon

I agree. The fact they that have decided to do it is just amazing.
I don't know any other band that would do it under the same circumstances.
Yeah, and I say this as someone who is very unlikely to be able to go to any shows even if they do play Atlanta, which, in fact, they usually do. I can't spend a whole bunch of $$ on this if I want to go to Turkey, which I really do. This is my chance, I'd be a fg idiot to blow it.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:48 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I wish the government would sue Clear Channel for breaking the anti-trust laws. Of course there's no chance of that happening now. They've got their hands in the pocket of every politician in Washington.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I wish the government would sue Clear Channel for breaking the anti-trust laws. Of course there's no chance of that happening now. They've got their hands in the pocket of every politician in Washington.
Sucks, doesn't it? My dad's made a rant or two about Clear Channel before...they really are a bunch of dipwads.

Angela
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:06 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

There's something Orwellian about this whole situation. Clear Channel's monopoly of the concert/ticket business in the U.S. and now elsewhere gives me some notion of what it must be like to live in a police state.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:17 PM   #32
Banned

Gotta love larry
Mullen4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:28 PM   #33
Forum Moderator

U2.com has updated the information on the Tour Info section and it looks pretty clear that the new system will only be for people who didn't get tickets in this 1st let:

"Presales for U2.Com Subscribers for the Vertigo//2005 Tour are now - with the exception of Portugal - just about over..

Thanks to everyone who took part.

Most Subscribers have been successful in securing tickets for the North American and European dates announced so far.

But we had some problems, particularly on the North American leg, and some Subscribers have not been able to get tickets for the dates announced so far.

As Larry explained in an open letter to fans, the band are now making plans for a return to North America in the fall.

With this in mind, we are working out a new presale ticketing system aimed at prioritising long-time Propaganda members who joined U2.Com and have yet to get tickets and at other U2.Com Subscribers who have yet to get tickets - based on when they joined."
Old 02-20-2005, 05:54 PM   #34
musicidalist

Local Time: 12:14 AM
Well it says prioritizing... doesnt say aimed solely at...

With U2.com though, the best approach is always wait and see...

Thanks for bringing that info over
Miroslava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:54 AM   #35
Refugee

So does this mean if you didn't do the presale at all, you have an unused code sitting in your inbox, you can still get tix? What about the people who tried and couldn't?

I fall into the first category, though.

Teta040 is offline   Reply With Quote