(02-16-2005) Bono Included on Nobel Prize List? -- RTE* - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > 'Zine (archived) > U2 News
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2005, 03:33 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:56 AM
Actually, another guy I wouldn't mind seeing get it this year would be Vaclav Havel; he's been nominated about a gazillion times and is again this year. For Bono it's not "if" it's "when".

verte76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:34 PM   #22
Refugee

Actually, Verte, if Havel hasn't gotten it, then it doesn't look good for Bono. Getting jailed for years for your beliefs, and physically suffering a great deal in the process (I've read his "Letters to Olga") seems to be a prime requisite for many of the winners. You have to suffer persecution of some sort. This is true both of this years' and last years' winner. (Quick: Yanks: name this years' winner! Hopefully you remember who she was, if not her name! Because she was on the news for maybe 24 hours after the announcement, and her name has vanished from the nation's media ever since. Dubya reportedly was VERY unahppy with the choice. Hm..maybe he was worried that honoring an African environmentalist who was jailed for planting trees would bring attention to his policies?)

If you haven't spent a large chunk of your life being persecuted by a repressive government, winners generally fall into two other categories: heads of state or leaders of warring groups who sign a long hoped-for peace treaty, or someone who has started an organization that has been around for at least a decade and has produced tangible results. (Which is why it beats me why Bono wasn't the 3rd person to win in '98, after the other 2 guys won?) DATA would have to become as large and respected as Doctors Without Borders for this to happen.

Teta040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:54 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I agree, if Havel hasn't gotten it, after all of the st he went through, it doesn't look that great for Bono.

verte76 is offline   Reply With Quote