(02-14-2005) Rumor: Bono in the Sick Bay? -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Indeed Teta, great translation of Mullen-speak.

Actually, it doesn't take any translation for those of us who actually heard what he f*****g said!

:mad: :wink:

IloveU2 said:

Was he personally at the Grammy's? I dont remember him. Sorry besides u2 and some other artist, the grammy's was boring

He was personally at the Grammys doing the show annoucements (he wasn't ever on-screen, it was voice only), and what he reported about Bono was the result of what he found out when he was backstage. Take it for what it's worth.

verte76 said:
Great post teta040. Yes, this has to have been the Month From Hell for them. What makes me really pissed off is that these so-called fans are saying these nasty things to the press right now, as they did in the Chicago Tribune article, as if the guys either need or deserve any more negativity. While I'm all for freedom of speech and freedom of the press, I also think it's time to give these guys a breather in this hell, show a little sympathy and respect, and let them struggle through this s:censored:t period in their lives. I am appalled and outraged that so called fans would be doing this. Here it is Lent, I'm supposed to be forgiving people and instead I feel like socking these :censored:holes in the nose. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Verte...I love you. Just wanted to say that.

Once again, another excellent post from you.

Angela

I assume J.Larry, that that was a compliment?:wink: I assume you're addressing CERTAIN PEOPLE who still don't get it. I heard him loud and clear.

Heck, I'm only a fellow Scorpio, there are aspects of my personality that are very like Larry's at times. I reveal my romantic side when I write.

And I was just thinking...if this was indeed how Bono injured his back, then he can play Frisbee with my disc anytime:wink:

In fact, if certain newspapers and such don't lay off of the guys, I will go to their offices and picket! My sign will say "Don't Be Cruel" because that's exactly what this s:censored:t is, cruelty. Let's picket these :censored:holes and tell them what we think of them!

Last edited:
IloveU2 said:

So this site just puts stories up wether they are true or not? How fair is that? CAuse you have fans here who believe everything. And when something is not true its a let down.

I'm no official Interference spokesman, but I think the idea is that this site puts up information about what's happening in the "u2 universe". In this case, one thing that's happening in the u2 universe is that there is a rumor going around that u2 might cancel their tour due to Bono's back. The good folks at the Interference news desk were kind enough to report that such a rumor is going around, and they made it clear that it's a rumor. I think we can all appreciate that.

Spiral_Staircase said:

I'm no official Interference spokesman, but I think the idea is that this site puts up information about what's happening in the "u2 universe". In this case, one thing that's happening in the u2 universe is that there is a rumor going around that u2 might cancel their tour due to Bono's back. The good folks at the Interference news desk were kind enough to report that such a rumor is going around, and they made it clear that it's a rumor. I think we can all appreciate that.

Thank you.

If you all want to bash us for reporting something (clearly marked as rumor) something a dj who was at the Grammys stated, you're bitching at the wrong people. Go bitch at KROQ for discussing it. For all the hard work we put into bringing you all the news and best articles we can write every day, we sure take alot of knocks from those who want to split hairs.

I'm truly sorry that us posting a sourced story from a radio station irritates some of you so much that you need to insult us. We did nothing wrong here. We didn't make up a rumor, we posted something that was heard on a major radio station in Los Angeles by someone who was an announcer at the Grammys.

Don't shoot the messenger, people. Go bitch at KROQ instead, because you're hurting feelings of people like myself who work our asses off day and night for you.

I also just want to say that I find it irresponsible of the djs in question to misquote Larry Mullen and cause a panic amongst U2 fans. We at InterfNews, that is, me and Devlin, whom some of you choose to rail against, reported it to you, straight from the djs mouth. We didn't make up the rumor, we just let you know that the djs were choosing to report themselves.

I'm no more a fan of panic then any of you are. Hell, I don't even have tickets to this damn tour and don't know if I will.

Teta, that was a compliment. I should've put in one of these: :applaud:

HelloAngel, I think most here were just expressing their frustration at those :censored: KROQ guys for misinterpreting what Larry made perfectly clear.

Last edited:
I know that Interference, is most of the time, ahead of the fray on news articles, but I just have to say in the last few days I have seen no less than 30 or so articles from all over the globe.

I subscribe to alot of online newspapers and sites. (Just because I want too.)
There is no mention of any back problems that Bono is currently going through, and most of the mentions are of Larry's apology, the (Bono) & Nobel Peace Prize nominations but the most I have received are of the falling numbers for the viewing of the grammys.

Just tonight I have seen:

AFP ! News Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:01 PM PST
Powell, Yushchenko and Bono among 166 Nobel Peace Prize candidates

At least 166 names figure on this year's list of Nobel Peace Prize candidates, the Nobel Institute said, with observers expecting to find former US secretary of state Colin Powell and Ukraine's President Viktor Yushchenko in the running.
PM to help bring U2 to Ottawa
Jam! Showbiz Wed, 16 Feb 2005 6:31 AM PST
OTTAWA -- Radio station BOB-FM's campaign to bring U2 to town saw them recruit a top gun for the cause yesterday.

Powell, Bono 'up for Nobel Prize'
NEWS.com.au
Grammy viewers' exodus perplexes
Omaha World-Herald Wed, 16 Feb 2005 8:49 AM PST
NEW YORK (AP) - From J. Lo to James Brown, Usher to U2, the Grammys had it all this year - except a lot of viewers..
I could post more, but really, it's not necessary. Some, if not most of the major complaints/concerns on U2 fan sites are not as prevelant as some would like to make them out to be.

This is not in any way to dispute anyone's thoughts, beliefs or ideas that U2 is being... whatever...
Some of this shit is just not true.. Even alot of it I read..

Just look at the numbers and the ticket sell outs.

I find myself defending U2 more on the fan sites than I actually see in the mass media.

Maybe that is why Bono was at a loss for words. He just knew anything he said would be referred to as "Bono speak."

Also Keep in mind alot of radio/ tv, media outlets go to these sites for information, true or not. Sensationalism is alive and well. Especially when it comes to Bono & U2.

Just my thoughts anyway. Don't really care what others think. Gave that up a long time ago.
and I respect myself enough to know I will go to bat for anyone else I respect.
I still respect Bono & U2. They are just themselves. Much like I am.
:wink:

jedi Larry said:
HelloAngel, I think most here were just expressing their frustration at those :censored: KROQ guys for misinterpreting what Larry made perfectly clear.

Absolutely. No knock on Interference at all. Those :censored: guys did indeed misinterpret something Larry made crystal clear.

HelloAngel said:

Thank you.

If you all want to bash us for reporting something (clearly marked as rumor) something a dj who was at the Grammys stated, you're bitching at the wrong people. Go bitch at KROQ for discussing it. For all the hard work we put into bringing you all the news and best articles we can write every day, we sure take alot of knocks from those who want to split hairs.

I'm truly sorry that us posting a sourced story from a radio station irritates some of you so much that you need to insult us. We did nothing wrong here. We didn't make up a rumor, we posted something that was heard on a major radio station in Los Angeles by someone who was an announcer at the Grammys.

Don't shoot the messenger, people. Go bitch at KROQ instead, because you're hurting feelings of people like myself who work our asses off day and night for you.

Anyone who bitches at interference is :censored:ing :censored:ed!

I read the article when you posted it and immediately said "that's a crock of :censored:" and moved on.

Now I see on @U2 today:

"@U2 has received confirmation from two sources that the recent rumors of an impending cancellation of the Vertigo Tour are wrong. The rumors began this week on Los Angeles radio station KROQ-FM, which reported that a back problem affecting Bono would force cancellation of the tour.

One source tells @U2 the rumor is "odd", and says "There is no truth in these rumours - the band are currently in rehearsals to open in San Diego as planned." A second source who prefers not to be quoted directly has confirmed the rumors are false."

and I see that it was indeed bull:censored:.

I'm still glad that interference posted it, that way I know what @U2 was talking about!

The :censored: gif is being used a lot here lately! Shame on you guys!:wink:

Do we impose our own "Janet Jackson rule"? LOL.

Once the tour starts, we'll have something to follow and yak about, even those of us who didn't get lucky.

Sheesh...but Lardence was right though...when he said "long-suffering fans"...other fans just don't know what we go through...but at least we know that the band is going through MUCH more.

HelloAngel said:
I'm glad @U2 checked into it, frankly - because it was really lame for the dj's to make people panic.

Yes, but if you listen regularly to the Kevin and Bean show, you know that those two are full of it. They talk out their asses all the time.

I knew that one of them was the grammy announcer, but I still didn't give him the credit when I heard him talking about Bono's back on the radio. I wasn't worried because I hear him talking about "inside information" all the time. He's the Kathy lee Gifford of radio name dropping.

That said, I don't blame you for reporting what you did. You are just reporting what people are telling you they've heard.

The difference is, from locals who know what hot dogs the KROQ DJ's think they are, we know we can't believe much of what they have to say.

Bono always goes on about KROQ and how they played the first u2 record. We'll, that was a KROQ that no longer exists. They suck now, and they hardly ever play U2.
:)

Back
Top Bottom