(02-08-2006) U2 at the Grammys Tonight, Nomination Recap - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 at the Grammys Tonight, Nomination Recap

Ed. Note -- Below are U2's nominations for the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles tonight. What do you think our boys will win?

HTDAAB yielded a nod in the Album of the Year category opposite Kanye West, Mariah Carey, Paul McCartney and others. HTDAAB was also nominated for Best Rock Album opposite Coldplay, The Stones and others.

"Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" landed a nod in the Song of the Year category opposite Mariah Carey, John Legend and others. "Sometimes" was also nominated in the Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal category opposite tour mates The Killers, Franz Ferdinand and others.

"City Of Blinding Lights" picked up a nod in the Best Rock Song category opposite Bruce Springsteen, Weezer, Foo Fighters and others.

Steve Lillywhite picked up a nod in the Production, Non-Classical category for HTDAAB.

probably all of them.....and seing all the nominations HTDAAB has, and won last year for Vertigo, logic says it should collect the album of the year grammy

I had my doubts when nominations were announced, but I'm thinking they could pull off a great night. Nube Gris is right, they have Vertigo already established as Grammy worthy, then they have noms all the way down to Lillywhite.

I think with a top tour, their HOF induction and the constant spotlight on Bono's humanitarian work will help. Then there's the fact that voters should split between Kanye and Carey, and Springsteen and McCartney somewhat. U2 stands out as the only band. It probably didn't hurt either that Kanye opened for U2, Springsteen inducted them and they played with McCarteny at Live 8. :wink:

Plus, let's not forget that they lost to "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" for Album of the Year last time. :mad:

While I think U2 deserves more awards as I really adore HTDAAB, I'm not sure they'll get it. In fact, West and Mariah will probably win the big categories. I can even see U2 losing in the rock category. In other words, I can see this being a year where U2 doesn't win anything. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not optimisitic.

coemgen said:

Plus, let's not forget that they lost to "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" for Album of the Year last time. :mad:

And that is why I hate the Grammys. That and Ray Charles beating out American Idiot last year, oh and Steely Dan winning a couple years back.

The Grammy's are just so out of touch. Of course, U2 is now 2 for 2 :rockon: So I guess they can't be all bad.

trojanchick99 said:

And that is why I hate the Grammys. That and Ray Charles beating out American Idiot last year, oh and Steely Dan winning a couple years back.

The Grammy's are just so out of touch. Of course, U2 is now 2 for 2 :rockon: So I guess they can't be all bad.

2 for 2 for what?

STING2 said:

2 for 2 for what?

There are a bunch of awards before the telecast. U2 has won 2 so far.

Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocal
WINNER:
U2 - "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own"

Coldplay - "Speed of Sound"
Foo Fighters - "Best of You"
Franz Ferdinand - "Do You Want To"
The Killers - "All These Things That I've Done"

Best Rock Song
WINNER:
U2 - "City of Blinding Lights"

Weezer - "Beverly Hills"
Bruce Springsteen - "Devils & Dust"
Coldplay - "Speed of Sound

doctorwho said:
While I think U2 deserves more awards as I really adore HTDAAB, I'm not sure they'll get it. In fact, West and Mariah will probably win the big categories. I can even see U2 losing in the rock category. In other words, I can see this being a year where U2 doesn't win anything. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not optimisitic.

Well, U2 has just won 2 awards for COBL and Sometimes! So far they are 5 for 5 in wins for HTDAAB. 3 more awards to go for the sweep!:rockon:

Steve Lillywhite has won producer fo the year for his work with U2 and Jason Mraz. This could point for more good things for U2.

GRRR, I hate living on the west coast at times like these. :mad: :mad: :mad:

All I can do is hit surf internet waiting for winners to be announced.

ETA: Just in case you haven't heard, HTDAAB has won Best Rock Album!

Last edited:
from @U2:

For those on the West Coast, U2's performance of "Vertigo" and "One" with Mary J. Blige comes about 30-35 minutes into the show. The Best Rock Album award is about one hour into the show, and Song of the Year is about 2.5 hours into the show.

DaveC said:
Kanye should win Album of the Year. Late Registration is FAR superior to HTDAAB.

FAR superior.

Saying it is doesn't make it so. HTDAAB is a better, deeper album than LR. FAR better and deeper. So there :p

4 out 4 so far. :)

trojanchick99 said:

Best Rock Song
WINNER:
U2 - "City of Blinding Lights"

Weezer - "Beverly Hills"
Bruce Springsteen - "Devils & Dust"
Coldplay - "Speed of Sound

THESE are the other contenders for best rock song? Rock and roll really is dead.

Oh man, I'm sure I'll be pissed in three hours when I finally get to see it. Glad they won though, just saw it on the Grammy website!

goldensoul said:
Cant bealive they cut off larry when about to speak for the album of the year.

Is that what people were booing and shouting about? They didn't show Larry coming up to the mike, but I was expecting it. Especially after getting over the shock of actually hearing Adam say something!! I thought that was rocking awesome of him!!. Then they cut to the next guy, and he himself seem to act very surprised that the band was cut off in the middle of their accepting the award. they hardly got any time to say much! :madspit:

doctorwho said:

Good call.:D

goldensoul said:
Cant bealive they cut off larry when about to speak for the album of the year.

Very stupid. :mad: The winner of the biggest trophy of the night, and they cut off the second half of the group during the thank you's... really low-class! :madspit:

But... YEAH!!! They won all five categories they were nominated for, including the big one!!! :applaud: Too bad the idiot Grammy people ended it on such a sour note! :sad:

anybody know where i can watch u2s performances online from the grammys???? thanks, karl

Back
Top Bottom