(02-08-2005) Aid Proposals Reopen Debate on 'Stingy' US -- Financial Times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Aid Proposals Reopen Debate on "Stingy" US

By Guy Dinmore in Washington

The Bush administration's 2006 foreign aid budget came under fire yesterday from aid organisations that argued the proposed 14 per cent increase masked a decline in money for working projects in the poorest countries.

Presentation of the budget immediately re-opened the debate, in the wake of the Asian tsunami disaster, over whether the US was stingy, compared with other rich nations.

Officials said the increase, in the context of a tight budget overall, reflected President George W. Bush's priority of helping countries out of the poverty trap that the US sees as a breeding ground for extremists and terrorists.

International assistance programmes are budgeted to total $18.5bn (£9.8bn, €14.3bn) in fiscal 2006 - up from projected spending of $16.2bn this year.

Not all of this counts as development spending. The largest single item is $4.59bn allocated for "foreign military financing", much of which goes to developed countries. But there is also the separate "global HIV/ Aids initiative", which has $3bn budgeted, compared with $2.6bn this year.

The administration's favoured vehicle for aid money is the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), a controversial body that Mr Bush established to channel funding to developing countries that pass tests of good governance over a wide range of criteria, including their level of democracy.

Funding for the MCC is requested at $3bn in 2006. Congress appropriated $1.5bn for the MCC in 2005 - some $1bn short of the administration's request.

Jamie Drummond, executive director of Debt Aids Trade Africa (Data), which was co-founded by Bono, the singer in the rock group U2, said Mr Bush had broken all the promises he made in establishing the MCC. Its budget was less than the $5bn originally promised for 2006; none of the money had yet been disbursed; and it appeared from the numbers that it had taken funds from other aid programmes, Mr Drummond said.

"They need to light a fire under the MCC," he said, stressing that Data supported the concept behind the MCC, which is chaired by Condoleezza Rice, secretary of state.

Steve Radelet of the independent Center for Global Development agreed that the MCC had not lived up to its billing, and blamed the administration for "sitting on its hands". He also doubted Congress would approve the full $3bn requested.

However, US aid funding could rise in 2006 to about 0.18 per cent of national income, from about 0.15 per cent in 2003, Mr Radelet said.

--Financial Times

Wow, a political thread disguised as a U2 one. Shock! :|

mysticchild, I have a pasture full of shit if you need a refill.

Last edited:
I'm still wonderign what this has to do with U2.

The US gives more aid than any other nation on earth.

Get over it.

Our philanthropists are going to be a leading factor in a cure for AIDS too.

All this is is petty sniping from increasingly mediocre European countries heading for the dustbin of irrelevancy.

jedi Larry said:
I'm still wonderign what this has to do with U2.

The US gives more aid than any other nation on earth.

Get over it.

Our philanthropists are going to be a leading factor in a cure for AIDS too.

All this is is petty sniping from increasingly mediocre European countries heading for the dustbin of irrelevancy.

This was posted because it mentions DATA, Bono's organization.

Europe ain't so "irrelevant", J.Larry, if it's increasingly getting the best and brightest students from all over the world, that 3 yrs ago America used to get (foreign enrollment is down by almost one-third)--esp in the science and technology fields--b/c they have decided that they don't want to spend valuable years of their lives waiting to see if they are designated as potential terrorists by DHS, who give out Visas, or treated like terrorists if they still decide to come here, by racist Yanks who don' know better.

And oh yes, let's not forget that the dollar is not going to go back to what it was, anytime soon. Notice too, that when Ukraine was going thru its democary upheaval a few months ago, Yevtushenko said, "Ukraine is a EUROPEAN country." American vaues weren't mentioned. Kinda strange dontcha think?

Let's not forget how economically dependent we are on other countries. We're not the island we used to be, and this has been in the making long before Bush. I wonder just where the 2 trillion he's going to need to reform Social S is coming from? Try Europe? Why do you think he's flogging Condi allover the place, in her "nicey-nice" disguise? (But it's the same, if Bush doesn't get what he wants, you watch how fast the real Condi will come out. Which she will. The public may be temporarily fooled, but the heads of state are already cautious. They didn't applaud her.And a leopard never changes his spots. )

And when both Desmond Tutu and Lech Walesa (remember them?) write colums in major newspaper about America no longer being the moral becaon of the world, tht should say something.

J.Larry, I love yr posts otherwise, but I gotta disagree here with ya, man.

I know, this belongs in FYM but I just HAD to say it....

~ T out~

Last edited:
Fair enough. You make a persuasive argument. I just disagree with the idea that the U.S. is "stingy".

BTW, the dollar is at a three month high against the Euro.......:madspit:

That's only while we are still under the nice illusion that the elections are going to make Iraq a peaceful and prosperous country....6 monthd from now, let;s see where we are, when the elctricity and the water still aren't back on, and the insurgents are still as besy as ever. The thing about terrorists is that they are like the AIDS virus...kill one strain and another one mutates and pops up. I pity the poor Iraqis when they finally wake up and reconcile themselves to the fact that we are NEVER going to leave. That's the great lie we tell them, and which we dumb folks believe.

This is getting into FYM territory even more, so I'll stop.....but J.Larry, thanks for being polite and not flaming me. I can think of many who would do worse.

If only they were as polite as you to political opposites in Congress....on both sides..this country wouldn't be such a mess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom