(02-03-2005) An open letter from Larry Mullen - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ya, i think this was perfect. If they had something posted on u2.com like "we're so sorry, we love our fans" in some sort of letter you know their damn lawyers typed up, that would be so fake. But this is real, especially the ending. I think Larry was the best member to do it as well.

People we questioning the bands integrity. There are even threads on it in this forum. I think his response was justified. In the "real world" if you question a man's integrity, be prepared to get a bloody nose.

aidansfaither said:
So wait a minute Larry, does this now mean that ex prop members who bought crappy seats because that's all there was, will still get another chance on the the third leg? Didn't U2.com tell us a few days ago that we only got priority for only one show?

As someone who bought a crappy seat, I sure hope they let *all* the fans who bought memberships get a chance for tix in the second US leg. Fairest maybe would be ex-prop members who didn't get any tix first, then ex-prop members who did, then all the rest of the U2.com subscribers who didn't get anything first leg (in order of joining if need be), then those who bought something first leg. With such parameters, it sounds like it would have to be done the old-fashioned propaganda way, doesn't it? After all, as has been pointed out, the whole fan-club thing is essentially paying for the chance to pay for something, so if it doesn't violate any other real and legitimate obligations the tour may have regarding ticket distribution in the fall venues, it seems fair to me to let *everyone* who paid for membership get a chance to buy!

cheers all!

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I understand Larry's frustration, and I disagree with people on this site calling for boycotts and printing up T-shirts. The anger won't last and then they'll be stuck with a $15 t-shirt printed with a cause they don't even support in the long run.

However, Larry could have been more polite...then again he is a pretty direct guy.

I must admit I wanted to express that sentiment since last Tuesday to some fans here, and on other websites. So, fair play to Larry!

I completely agree. While the fiasco was going on Tuesday, it really bothered me that people were so quick to suddenly boycott U2, get rid of all their U2 stuff and blame everything *directly* on Bono, Adam, Edge and Larry - as if the whole thing was only their doing and they really did want to screw their own fanbase. :(

So, it's awesome that there's now an official statement from the band. That was what I had been waiting to see. Thank you, Larry!

God I really hope this is true Larry you are awesome..I know I paid the 40.00 like many and whined about being tickeless, and felt cheated by the official site...If there is a resolution to this problem than I'll be waiting, I have never personally lost faith in the band member, so it is a relief to hear somthing postive from the CONCIOUS of the band!!..:D ...LUVE YA LARRY!

Good damage control can always help save a company, but you don't wait two weeks to be pro-active.

Alot of people payed $40 and that's alot for us poor prople..lol and were dismayed that we couldn't get a ticket, while hundreds of tickets got into the hands of scalpers and touts.

The people at Ticketmaster still can't explain this but I'm not buying it. Somewhere something stinks.

I don't necessarily blame the band for this, but if you are selling over 100, 000 fan memberships but are only alloting 3000 tickets per show, that is only 60000 divided by 2 = 30, 000 tickets for fans.

U2.com managment should have realized they were in trouble, but it seems that the band is less involved in this process than ever before.

They are so big they can't do everything, nor should they.

I'm sure it would be difficult for any president to stand up and say that the people in the company screwed up, but when you service the public and charge for it, I think some responsibility is in order.

As far as new U2 fans are concerned Larry, If I get screwed out of a ticket by a Propaganda member, no sweat.

But by a scalper or tout, come on. Fuck you, to the scalpers and touts, not larry..lol

Last edited:
What's most interesting in the letter is the part where he says, "Some of it was out of our control, some of it wasn't."

To me, I interpert that as saying yes, ticketmaster screwed you and yes we didn't allow enough seats for members.

I like honesty, it's a good policy.

I like the letter, just think we should have seen it a week ago.

Hola Larry!
If you can read this: "You are completely right"
Agree 100% with all you've said
Half of the people here have been talking bullshit, i can't really believe the things i've read

Also would like an open letter towards so-called U2 fans who are using this site to say stupid, ironic, black humor or i dont fucking know how to say it......things about the band constantly, not just about the ticket problems

Its fucking enough!!
Fire them from here, kick their asses out!

Mucha Suerte Larry!
Los esperamos en Sudamerica!!!

Salud

i thought he was talkin about a "musical journey" at the end when he said he had two words...

Very nice letter and I hope that makes the Propoganda members feel good again because it should.

dsmith2904 said:
I think what some people, including Larry, may not realize is the reason why such a big deal was made out of the presale fiasco is because this was just one more thing to happen to fan club members. First, Propaganda ceased publication but members were not notified, nor given the chance to get a refund for unfulfilled subscriptions. When the Propaganda book came out, subscribers were not notified and also were not given the chance to order the book early or get a discount on the book, which would have been the sporting thing to do. Then when U2 finally officially announced that Propaganda was over and would be moving online, many former subscribers did not get their discount codes. Some, after many calls and e-mails, did get their codes (myself included) and joined U2.com for $20 but others didn't and joined for the full price, never getting a straight answer if they'd be refunded their $20 or not. And there's also been the messes with Zootopia launching, being scrapped, being redesigned and on and on.

I just think this presale was a bit like, "Oh Lord, now what?" for Propaganda subscribers and general U2 fans who've already been feeling a little put out, at least that's how I've felt with all this. I do sincerely appreciate that this presale issue has finally been addressed by a member of the band but I think there needs to be some understanding that the presale wasn't the only thing that was screwed up, as well.

Couldn't agree more. I absolutely adore Larry for sending out this email, but there were still problems that were never addressed.

Thank you Larry.:larry: :love: I feel better but like joyfulgirl, I am an unaknowledged propaganda member. I hope the ticket sales are more fair and happen more smoothly than this time around. I have one ticket for San Diego but that was hell getting it.:mad:

to those who have questioned me a bit...they had you pay 40 bucks to get presale tickets...not to get some stupid little card and access to the secret club song or some BS like that, it was to get tickets pure and simple. AS I SAID, those of us that did THE MATH, and said, they can't gurantee tickets to everyone, so what's the point of signing up, i'll just save my 40 bucks, and take my chances with the "ticketbastard"...so now all the folks like me that used our brains before this mess hit the fan, we are getting screwed for not being duped just like all you that signed up for it and got screwed by getting no tickets or rickets in terrible locales were.

cmullenjr said:
i'll just save my 40 bucks, and take my chances with the "ticketbastard"...so now all the folks like me that used our brains before this mess hit the fan, we are getting screwed for not being duped just like all you that signed up for it and got screwed by getting no tickets or rickets in terrible locales were.

So, let me get this straight. Now that the fan club have conceded to an enormous glitch in the ticketing process, and, according to the statement from Larry, are attempting to make a concerted effort to rectify it, YOU are getting screwed for NOT signing up? The logic of your argument escapes me. If you don't sign up, you don't get the benefits, end of story. Not signing up was YOUR choice - live with it.

cmullenjr said:
to those who have questioned me a bit...they had you pay 40 bucks to get presale tickets...not to get some stupid little card and access to the secret club song or some BS like that, it was to get tickets pure and simple. AS I SAID, those of us that did THE MATH, and said, they can't gurantee tickets to everyone, so what's the point of signing up, i'll just save my 40 bucks, and take my chances with the "ticketbastard"...so now all the folks like me that used our brains before this mess hit the fan, we are getting screwed for not being duped just like all you that signed up for it and got screwed by getting no tickets or rickets in terrible locales were.

You still don't get it do you? Your problem was that you had no faith in the band from the start. If you would have had faith that they would not intentionally try to screw you over there was no need to DO THE MATH.

:up: to the letter, U2 wasn't obligated to to this.

:up: :up: to the ending. Considering the amount of venom posted against U2 from day 1 of the pre-sale (yes, the band, not U2.com, not the management) he has every right to be mad at those fans.

I love it! Go Larry! I, myself did not sign up for the fan club but I am so glad that he responded in the way that he did!!! AWESOME AWESOME ending to the letter!

Re: Re: (02-03-2005) An open letter from Larry Mullen - U2.com*

Macphisto2005 said:

As much as I'd like to believe this, I'm a little bit skeptical, and that should be expected since we've already been misled once.

The 'thing' in this letter that makes me suspicious is that the word "apolgise" has been improperly spelled on every U2.com news bulletin that has come out since the presale, so I'm wondering if (a) Larry was dictating to the PR folks at U2.com (b) U2.com's PR folks issued a statement and used his name.

For the record: the correct spelling is "apologize".

I really hope things work out. As for the last line of the letter.....my response is this: If we didn't care we wouldn't have made a big deal about it. When we don't do this is when the members of U2 have to worry, because it means that we don't care anymore. We truly believe that they are worth the effort and if we didn't, we wouldn't have spoken up like we did.

I know some have already addressed this, but to further clarify, Larry's spelling, is the way Irish people spell it, which is the same in the U.K. and perhaps Australia (once British colony).

Now see, that's how I knew it was not a fake, because Larry is born and bred Irish, if it was spelled "apologize" I would've been a bit skeptical. He also used queue, instead of line, another tip-off.

Apologize:apologise::honor:honour

HelloAngel said:
An open letter from Larry Mullen

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour, I've only got two words for you...

LMAO.....Go Larry. Glad to hear what they think.

Re: Re: Re: (02-03-2005) An open letter from Larry Mullen - U2.com*

thrillme said:
I know some have already addressed this, but to further clarify, Larry's spelling, is the way Irish people spell it, which is the same in the U.K. and perhaps Australia (once British colony).

Now see, that's how I knew it was not a fake, because Larry is born and bred Irish, if it was spelled "apologize" I would've been a bit skeptical. He also used queue, instead of line, another tip-off.

Apologize:apologise::honor:honour

BTW, I found it very funny that the original poster had the word 'apologise' wrong in his comment. :lol: You would have thought that he would put a bit more effort in his scepticism. :p

Re: Re: Re: Re: (02-03-2005) An open letter from Larry Mullen - U2.com*

Popmartijn said:

BTW, I found it very funny that the original poster had the word 'apologise' wrong in his comment. :lol: You would have thought that he would put a bit more effort in his scepticism. :p

Marty, I'm afraid that with all of the Americans in here you are required to say "skepticism" not "scepticism." :D

Well, I AM a die-hard U2 fan and yes I would have joined whether or not there was a tour about to start or a new album. I did the same thing when I joined Propaganda after the ZooTV tours had ended. The prospect of getting priority tickets for future tours was just a part of the incentive for my membership.

As for what Larry said in the letter...

As former Prop member I am absolutley thrilled:hyper:
and I hope this means I'll get a shot at better seats in the fall.
I think it's great that he apologised (I like his spelling of it better)for whatever part their organization had in the ticketing snafu and I take him (and the band, since I assume he's speaking on all of their behalf) at his word about trying to make things right for future tickets sales.

As for the last line in the letter...

There's an old saying that goes "If you throw a rock in a crowd of dogs, only the one that gets hit is gonna bark." OK, some of you who don't like swearing may be offended (let's face it we all know what those two words are), but I think the others who are complaining are probably the ones to whom he directed the comment. Anyway, for better or worse that's Larry and if you're a long-time fan you know that. As for how long it took them to respond, maybe it could have been quicker, but you also don't want to mess the situation up further by acting without a well thought out plan and sometimes that takes time. I think people today can sometimes be too reactionary and impatient, as evidenced by some of the posts in the last week or so. Believe me I was feeling the heat too, but some of what was said was downright mean and nasty.

I'd just like to say to Larry, well done:applaud:
Thanks for personally responding to us fans and I can't wait until I see you guys in Chicago where I'll be swinging to the music, swinging to the music ohhhh ohhhh :dance:

:rockon: :larry: :hug: :flirt:

Back
Top Bottom