(01-27-2005) Breaking News! New Shows, North America. - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Breaking News! New Shows, North America.

U2 are hoping to return to North America for more shows this Autumn - and rollover dates for the first North American leg are also on the cards.

While the Autumn leg is not confirmed yet, the already announced opening North American leg is likely to include rollover dates - that is additional shows in currently advertised venues. We will be mailing U2.Com subscribers who have not yet been able to buy tickets in the North American presale with early information on how to buy tickets at these additional first leg shows.

There has been a phenomenal demand for the 'Vertigo 2005 Tour' presale on both sides of the Atlantic.

In North America - where venues are indoor and have a smaller capacity - most fans have succeeded in getting their tickets but some venues , notably the New York Madison Square Garden show, have reached their presale capacity.

Fans may choose a different US venue but Paul McGuuinness, U2's manager, has told U2.Com, 'We are sorry that presale tickets for the Madison Square Garden show have sold out but it is the band's intention to play more shows at Madison Square Garden in the Autumn.'

Thanks for your patience - and our apologies again.

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1305

HelloAngel said:

In North America - where venues are indoor and have a smaller capacity - most fans have succeeded in getting their tickets but some venues , notably the New York Madison Square Garden show, have reached their presale capacity.

Wow... I guess they havent been paying much attention. Shouldnt it read 'most fans have not succeeded'?

" Most of fans" ???????????????????

Who??????????????
Is he talking about U2 Concerts?

"Thanks for your patience - and our apologies again."

WOW ! So sweet!!!!! :mad:

-"U2 are hoping to return to North America in the fall"

..I don't like the word "hoping" in that phrase.

When the Tour was announce,it was sure that they would be back in north america in the fall..now they are hoping?

And with everything The Edge is going thru, it kind of makes you wonder if/when there will be a 3rd leg of the tour. We cannont bank on anything at this point!

U2's online ticket launch for fan club bollixed up
Many members who paid $40 for right to buy advance tickets frozen out

By Greg Kot
Tribune music critic
Published January 27, 2005, 8:21 AM CST

Update: A message posted to U2's Web site today raises the prospect of additional dates -- and tickets -- for the band's North American tour: U2 are hoping to return to North America for more shows this Autumn. ... While the Autumn leg is not confirmed yet, the already announced opening North American leg is likely to include rollover dates - that is additional shows in currently advertised venues. We will be mailing U2.Com subscribers who have not yet been able to buy tickets in the North American presale with early information on how to buy tickets at these additional first leg shows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On U2's last North American tour in 2001, singer Bono told the millions of fans who have made the Irish quartet one of the richest bands in rock history: "I want to thank you for giving us a wonderful life."

But this week, the most ardent of those fans may not be feeling much appreciated. An advance ticket sale to the band's fan club for U2's forthcoming North American and European tours has turned into a public-relations nightmare.

So many complaints poured into U2's management offices in Ireland and New York and to Ticketmaster during the presale Tuesday that the ticketing agency was moved to issue an apology Tuesday night. It blamed the fan-club fiasco on "an incredibly high level of demand" that resulted in "slower than normal service."

After paying $40 in membership fees to gain access to tickets this week before they're made available to the general public, fan-club members reported encountering crashed Web sites, faulty passwords and a dearth of choice seats.

Many fans were left without tickets for the 13-city North American tour, which includes concerts May 7 and May 9 at the United Center. Others reported finding that the $49.50 tickets for standing room nearest the stage were already sold out when they logged in, and that they had to settle for more expensive $95 or $165 seats farther from the stage. To add insult to injury, ticket scalpers had already swooped in and were offering choice tickets for more than $1,000 on eBay.

"We feel betrayed by this," said Collin Souter, a film critic from Prospect Heights who has attended 18 U2 shows since 1987. Souter paid to join the fan club but found he could get nothing better than third-balcony seats at the United Center after logging in only seconds after the presale began Tuesday morning. "It's a really sad week for U2 fans."

In its official response, posted on its U2.com Web site, the band acknowledged that "some fans have let us know that they have experienced some frustrating technical problems," and said Ticketmaster was "contacting all U2.com European members who failed to book their tickets to explain how they can still do this well within the presale window." No mention was made of the ticketing problems in North America, even as fans filled message boards with invective.

"I thought the point of dishing out my $40 membership fee was to gain access to the coveted [general admission] floor seats," wrote one disgruntled fan, zooropabails, at atu2.com. "The GA seats for both shows in Chicago sold out in literally 10 seconds. Is this possible? U2.com has successfully screwed all of us."

Such presales through band Web sites have become increasingly fashionable, including those run by arena-filling acts such as Pearl Jam, R.E.M. and the String Cheese Incident. On its 2002 tour, the Rolling Stones charged fans $60 to gain access to tickets before the general public.

In an earlier message on the U2 Web site publicizing the fan-club subscriptions, fans were informed that the $40 fee "assured access to the online ticket presale."

"They made it sound like a great deal, but they sold far too many memberships to fulfill their promise," said Sharon Carleton, an insurance executive in Omaha, who tried to buy tickets for the Chicago shows but found she could get only seats behind the stage for $160 each. She decided not to buy those seats and says she'll likely sit out the forthcoming tour.

In return for her fan-club membership money, she received "a fabulous little metal key chain that says `with thanks.' I found that a little ironic getting it this week. It'll remind me to pay more attention to this kind of thing in the future."

so their not playing any more dates on the first leg? I thought everyone was saying they were going add more dates to Boston, NY, etc.

RademR said:
so their not playing any more dates on the first leg? I thought everyone was saying they were going add more dates to Boston, NY, etc.

From what I understand they are - I thought that the message posted on their site said that many days will be filled out by added concerts at already listed venues.

I am not too concered with NOT having the 3rd leg. I think it is happening......

RademR said:

They are, and from the "impression" they're giving with their announcement this morning, they'll do another presale for those dates for the people who didn't get tickets.

It still doesn't solve the problem of those who got price gouged on the most expensive and worst tickets in the house. They'll probably freeze us out because we already got our maximum number of tickets even though they were not premium seats.

Even if they add an additional show to each venue an American U2.com members chances of getting a GA ticket are WAAAAYYYY less than one in ten. That's not a premium membership--it's the lottery. And it sucks.

Re: Re: (01-27-2005) Breaking News! New Shows, North America. - U2.com*

Elvis said:

Wow... I guess they havent been paying much attention. Shouldnt it read 'most fans have not succeeded'?

Yea...that was the first thing I said when I read the article.

They are clueless. Or they just don't care. I wonder which it is...

I can tell I'm going to get REALLY sick of this "I didn't get tickets" bashing. Sigh. I was hoping this tour would be fun in the fan community. I'm starting to think it's going to consist mostly of sour grapes.

I know a LOT of people who got tickets in the pre-sale. I don't think that the "most fans" comment is off.

gargoylelove said:
I can tell I'm going to get REALLY sick of this "I didn't get tickets" bashing. Sigh. I was hoping this tour would be fun in the fan community. I'm starting to think it's going to consist mostly of sour grapes.

I know a LOT of people who got tickets in the pre-sale. I don't think that the "most fans" comment is off.

Oddly, many people seem to share the view that fans got screwed... and most, if not all, of the large u2 fan sites are supportive of those fan's voices on this position -- and that doesnt happen very often.

ElectricalVoice said:
And some sites more extreme than others.

Indeed. From fans that fell in love with a white flag waving band... to fans wanting to file class action lawsuits against that same band. It's amazing what can change in 20 years.

I got tickets in the presale. They were shitty tickets near the back of the San Diego Sports Arena. We paid a membership fee and those are the "best available seats"? I'll have better luck during the public onsale this weekend without the "benefit" of that blasted U2.com membership.

Sometimes the old-fashioned "walk up and buy them at the box office" is still the best way. :wink:

jedi Larry said:
Sometimes the old-fashioned "walk up and buy them at the box office" is still the best way. :wink:

if i could do that for the public sale, I would camp out...seriously. After going through u2.com, I'll do that. But I can't, already called my local ticketmaster outlet, only tickets that are sold are regional.

If you're in D.C., then I'd plan on some shows in your region come fall.

Baltimore or D.C. are possibilities.

ya, their def. coming to DC in the fall, but I can't wait that long, and its been a goal to watch the boys in Madison Square. So I'll log on tommorow morning and pray. I got tickets to Philly and Chicago, Boston and NY would complete it for me. :wink:

Jeez, I'd say you've done well so far.

They may add another MSG date if it sells out fast(which I think it will).

Back
Top Bottom