(01-25-2006) Bono signs big names to fight Aids - Financial Times*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono signs big names to fight Aids

American Express, Converse, Gap and Giorgio Armani are joining with Bono, the rock star, to sell products under a new brand, called “Red”, which will dedicate some of its revenues to fight Aids in Africa.

The effort will include the creation of an AmexCo Red credit card that will be marketed first in the UK, targeting an estimated 1.5m British “conscience consumers” who are seen as more likely to buy products associated with a social benefit. AmexCo believes this figure will rise to 4m within three years.

Other Red products available this spring will include Converse sports shoes made with African mud-cloth; a new line of Gap vintage-style T-shirts, in red and other colours and wraparound Emporio Armani sunglasses embossed with a Red logo.

“Red is a 21st century idea,” said Bono, the owner of the brand. “I think doing the Red thing, doing good, will turn out to be good business for them.”

The venture, scheduled to be announced on Thursday at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, is the latest in a series of marketing experiments being conducted by big companies worried that television advertising is losing its punch. Many of these efforts, such as Procter & Gamble’s Pampers.com informational website, are based on the idea of using good works or services as a way to gain consumer attention – a notion some are calling “corporate social opportunity”.

John Hayes, chief marketing officer of AmexCo, said Bono “came to us” with the idea for a card that would benefit Africa about 18 months ago. AmexCo decided the rock star’s idea would help it “create pull”, attracting educated, affluent consumers without spending much on direct mail or television advertising.

He said AmexCo and the other partners hoped the Red products could be marketed mainly through public relations and word-of-mouth advertising campaigns, generating advertising savings that would help cover the cost of their contributions for African aid. “We are not going to fill your mailbox with Red mailings,” Mr Hayes said.

The money from Red will go to the Global Fund, a public-private partnership that has committed $4.5bn (€3.7bn) for Aids, tuberculosis and malaria programmes since it was created in 2002. The focus of the Red donations will be on Aids programmes for women and children. AmexCo has agreed to contribute 1 per cent of Red card transactions, plus 1.25 per cent of any spending above £5,000 (€7,200) a year. The card will be available in March.

Bobby Shriver, chief executive of Product Red, said he and Bono insisted their partners see it as a money-making opportunity. “We said you had to make money, because if you don’t make money, you won’t want to invest,” he said. Mr Shriver said the partners had all signed up for at least five years.

© Copyright The Financial Times Ltd 2006
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/6dae105c-8de0-11da-8fda-0000779e2340.html

Thanks Chrissi!

U2.com has a video clip of the Red launch here and more information about the initiative here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent ideas. I love it that Bono knows you can most effectively change the system from within. That is part of the reason he has been so effective in his humanitarian work.

Share the Bonolove!

ten_out_of_ten_emoticon.gif

Our man is brilliant!

Now, here's hoping they make something that's cheap enough for me to buy.....:wink:

That's fucking awesome....glad I waited to put my U2 iPod away

How did you find that Miringeltje?

Xavier

Last edited:
EdgeVox said:
How did you find that Miringeltje?

Google :wink:

Bono + Red campaign.

Actually, already found it a couple of months back (late October/early November).
But wasn't sure what to do with it.
Did send an email to interference.
Guess they didn't know what to do with it either.

I'm not sure how accurate or reliable the info is.
Feels good to finally be able to share it though.

Utoo said:
Our man is brilliant!

Now, here's hoping they make something that's cheap enough for me to buy.....:wink:

That will certainly help for those of us who live on a "real income".
I remember the red campaign being hinted about when Bono autographed a lunchbox for The Lunchbox Fund and Food Bank for NYC. His was red, and he signed something about it on the lunchbox.
It's almost unbelievable that he can keep spreading himself so thin, and have his hand into so many projects. It's mind boggling. But it makes me love him and respect him even more so.
I do worry that he is getting so exposed since last year, more than he ever has, that his participating in a new campaign again, is going to backfire.

As much as I LOVE what he is doing, does anyone else agree that he should tone it down a bit for a while, so people don't grow tired of his causes? The last thing I want to see happen is for people to start thinking "gees, the aids/africa thing again? Isn't he already pushing the One Campaign, DATA, Edun, Keep a Child Alive with Alicia Keys, Live8 concert, G8 Summit involvement, etc........" He could still do alot of things behind the scenes, without having to be in the news again.

I certainly hope and wish that this project will be very successfull.
This is just one person's opinion here. I'm in agreement with all the wonderful compliments everyone has given here so far. I just wondered if anyone might think what I was thinking.

thankyou said:

As much as I LOVE what he is doing, does anyone else agree that he should tone it down a bit for a while, so people don't grow tired of his causes? The last thing I want to see happen is for people to start thinking "gees, the aids/africa thing again? Isn't he already pushing the One Campaign, DATA, Edun, Keep a Child Alive with Alicia Keys, Live8 concert, G8 Summit involvement, etc........" He could still do alot of things behind the scenes, without having to be in the news again.

No ! I don't agree he should tone it down. Because when I gave out the ONE bracelets, everyone knew Bono, but didn't know what the campaign was all about and I knew this when I chose who to give it too.. I gave a brief explanation and they were all into it.
I've ordered more because I gave all of them away and I also have people asking for the web site to order for people who have ask them how to get involved. This is not a time to tone down.

My love is brilliant, to quote a popular song.. This is Bono and what he is doing behind the scenes is also brilliant.. He knows just how to do it and it's very effective..
It just takes time...
Please don't grow tired of good causes, time is of the essence..:heart:

I agree Bono should keep up the good work he is doing. God will bless him with the strength to continue.:heart:

sue4u2 said:

Please don't grow tired of good causes, time is of the essence..:heart:

I'll certainly never grow tired of Bono's causes. My response was related to other people out there growing tired of hearing about them.
My personal opinion is that he's sincere and actually really cares about the issues, and that is why he is so effective.

The reason Bono keeps doing stuff in the spotlight is because the AIDS situation over in Africa is so massive, it's going to take the rest of the world to respond. Bono's using the spotlight to get the necessary amount of people taking action on this.

Plus, we all know Bono isn't a behind-the-scenes kind of guy. :wink:

I want to express my dissatifaction with the "marketing experts'" comments on MSNBC's Closing Bell yesterday. Although I understand everyone doesn't have to agree with Bono's ideas, this person basically said it all has good intentions, but is really a useless venture. What really pissed me off was the commentator's introduction of the next person, saying he was also a man "trying to develop his image", suggesting that Bono was trying to develop an image with this work. I know I should ignore it, and I don't see any other comments about the interview, hopefully other people were smart enough not to let it bother them, the way I did! :huh:

Companies have been making and selling pink items (everything from batteries to jewelry) for the past year or so to benefit breast cancer research so it's nice to see that idea branching out to other causes. I hope that the Red product line does trickle down so more into every-day items so that people can make a difference every time they shop, even it's not intentional.

dsmith2904 said:
Companies have been making and selling pink items (everything from batteries to jewelry) for the past year or so to benefit breast cancer research so it's nice to see that idea branching out to other causes. I hope that the Red product line does trickle down so more into every-day items so that people can make a difference every time they shop, even it's not intentional.

Great points here. This can be successful, and I believe it will be. Especially with tens of thousands of interferencers with purchasing power. (Some of us less than others.) :wink:

Judah said:
How about "Better Red than Dead" as a marketing line?

A quite appropriate use of that phrase, Judah.

Unfortunately for those who are dying. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom