(01-25-2005) U2 Ticket Presale Inflames Fans -- groovevolt.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Ticket Presale Inflames Fans

Tickets for the North American and European legs of U2’s forthcoming Vertigo tour were pre-sold to members of the band’s fan club Tuesday morning (January 25); however, instead of looking forward to the kickoff of the tour in San Diego, California, thousands of fans are up in arms over the way in which the presale was conducted after being shut out and they have jammed U2 message boards to express their displeasure.

U2 fans who paid the band’s fan club for a membership late last year were told that the membership would allow them to gain priority access to tickets, including the coveted low-priced General Admission tickets that proved so popular on the band’s Elevation tour.

The band’s organization emailed patrons a personalized password late last week along with links to a page from which fans could choose a specific show. Unfortunately, when fans attempted to link to the page this morning, many were unable to get through.

Though this is far from typical (a fact to which those who have dealt with Ticketmaster in the past can attest), the problems did not end when fans arrived successfully at a purchasing page. Those lucky enough to arrive at a purchasing page discovered quickly that the allotment of coveted GA seats was sold out (in less than one minute for most shows.)

This left those interested in General Admission seats with the option of purchasing more expensive tickets (which ranged from $98 to $165) or waiting for the public on-sale. Those who chose to search for more expensive tickets ran into some problems that have plagued Ticketmaster ever since they began selling tickets online: Passwords that did not work, pages that froze, interminable waits, and transactions that were mysteriously canceled even after the sale appeared to go through.

Even those who purchased tickets successfully reported that there were significant problems with the ticketing system. A number of buyers reported that the Ticketmaster seating charts they consulted during the purchase were changed later in the day and fans who thought they had prime seats next to the stage (at a cost of more than $175 each including service charges) found themselves in the back corner of the arena. Others pointed out that the seats that were offered were often the worst in the house.

U2 fan Emily Worth summarized the feelings of many of supporters of the band. “U2 backed out on a promise to their most loyal fans,” she said. “We joined the U2.com fan club under the premise that we would have priority ticket buying. Well, I'm a member of the fan club, but [three] hours after the pre-sale began, I am still ticketless. U2 have clearly not allotted for enough tickets to accommodate the fan club members. This treatment is unethical and has hurt the people that have funded the band's career for the past 25 years.”

This ticketing snafu especially distressed those members of the fan club who were previously members of Propaganda, the band’s fan club, which handled ticket distribution for years before closing after the conclusion of the last tour. In the past, ticket sales were handled in much the same way that bands like Pearl Jam handle fan-club ticket sales: Prior to public ticket sales, fan club members received a letter listing the forthcoming tour dates. Fans would then check off the show (or shows) they wanted to see and sent in money for the tickets.

For this tour, U2.com took over the fan club and associated presale chores and attempted to use Ticketmaster and Fanfire to coordinate the sale. Longtime fans were especially distressed. On the message boards at interference.com, U2 fan adenoid_hynkel wrote, “The band took a reliable fan-friendly service like Propaganda and replaced it with a poorly-managed company.”

And it wasn’t just North American fans that were served poorly today. European fans encountered similar problems went tickets went on sale this morning. At the band’s official Web site, u2.com, the following message was posted.

“European members have been buying tickets since 10am GMT this morning and some fans have let us know that they have experienced some frustrating technical problems.

“Ticketmaster have expressed their apologies to fans who were frustrated in the booking process – and are contacting all U2.Com European Members who failed to book their tickets to explain how they can still do this well within the presale window.

“‘With tickets available at all venues, we are confident that all those affected by the problem today will have been able to purchase tickets.’ reads the Ticketmaster statement. ‘Once again Ticketmaster would like to apologise to those affected by the problem today. Ticketmaster is committed to offering the best possible service and we can assure customers that once we became aware of the problem, we took every possible step to ensure a quick and efficient solution.”

Fans of the band have reacted loudly and swiftly, bombarding the offices of U2’s Principal Management with phone calls and faxes. They have also posted thousands of messages at the interference message boards, with frustration being the predominant emotion. “Is this any way for a band that thanked their fans "for giving us a great life" in their 2001 tour to treat their fan-club members who paid $40?” fan Patrick Farrell asked. “I clicked for 80 minutes, about 800 clicks… and did get [two] terrible seats for $300 only to have the final click at the Ticketmaster.com site on 'Click here to purchase tickets' bring me to a page that said ‘Internal service failure. Please try again.’” A frustrated Farrell added, “I love U2 more than anything except God, Family, Friends, and Country. It disgusts me that the band's image is being raked over the coals with their greatest fans due to the sins of Ticketmaster, U2.com, and the promoters who obviously funneled tickets to brokers because actual photos of tickets were on eBay before the presale.”

Numerous calls for comment to Ticketmaster and Fanfire were not returned. Callers to Principal Management were directed to contact their PR firm, Code Blue Media. At press time, messages to Code Blue were unanswered.

--groovevolt.com

"It disgusts me that the band's image is being raked over the coals with their greatest fans due to the sins of Ticketmaster, U2.com, and the promoters who obviously funneled tickets to brokers because actual photos of tickets were on eBay before the presale.” "

What Patrick Farrell said above is so true. Most of the General Admission tickets were in the hands of brokers long before the Pre-Sale even began!

Is it really too much to open up an entire arena minus vip and contest reps for a presale "dedicated" to u2 fans? This is why you would add an extra date to a venue. Let the fans in. These are are people you want, is it not?

STING2 said:
"It disgusts me that the band's image is being raked over the coals with their greatest fans due to the sins of Ticketmaster, U2.com, and the promoters who obviously funneled tickets to brokers because actual photos of tickets were on eBay before the presale.” "

What Patrick Farrell said above is so true. Most of the General Admission tickets were in the hands of brokers long before the Pre-Sale even began!

The band should have better control over their image.

Maybe all this hoopla will eventually get under the bands skin...we can only hope. Keep bugging the offices of the bands management until they cannot ignore this bullshit. I'm sure the band doesn't want this kind of shit going on.

Harry Vest said:
Maybe all this hoopla will eventually get under the bands skin...we can only hope. Keep bugging the offices of the bands management until they cannot ignore this bullshit. I'm sure the band doesn't want this kind of shit going on.

Right. They're sitting back in their mansions boo-hooing the fact that they're gonna make millions. I fell into the 'fan' trap from U2.com too. I don't understand how two minutes into pre-sale, the $50 tickets were gone, but hey...those handy $165 ones were all over the place! So, I pay $40 to join their 'fan'club and spend $350 for two tickets. Should have just held out, dammit. I'll kick myself after I kick the idiots running this thing.

I knew that this would happen. A similar situation happened on Bowienet for some shows. This is why I didn't buy membership 'cause I learnt my lesson the first time. I feel sorry for those who did pay for their membership and had to go through this BS. I could not afford $40 at the moment for a password but I will be honest in saying that I'm glad that they didn't release all the GA floors to the members 'cause now I have an equal fair chance with the rest of the public. I may not be an exclusive member to U2.com who can afford or happen to have a spare $40 but I'm still a bug U2 fan non the less and so will be the people who are purchasing tickets. What I'm really upset about is that GA's are already on e-bay from un-honest fans, this I knew was going to happen.

What is Principle Management's Contact Info.???

dsmith2904 said:
U2 Ticket Presale Inflames Fans

Tickets for the North American and European legs of U2’s forthcoming Vertigo tour were pre-sold to members of the band’s fan club Tuesday morning (January 25); however, instead of looking forward to the kickoff of the tour in San Diego, California, thousands of fans are up in arms over the way in which the presale was conducted after being shut out and they have jammed U2 message boards to express their displeasure.

U2 fans who paid the band’s fan club for a membership late last year were told that the membership would allow them to gain priority access to tickets, including the coveted low-priced General Admission tickets that proved so popular on the band’s Elevation tour.

The band’s organization emailed patrons a personalized password late last week along with links to a page from which fans could choose a specific show. Unfortunately, when fans attempted to link to the page this morning, many were unable to get through.

Though this is far from typical (a fact to which those who have dealt with Ticketmaster in the past can attest), the problems did not end when fans arrived successfully at a purchasing page. Those lucky enough to arrive at a purchasing page discovered quickly that the allotment of coveted GA seats was sold out (in less than one minute for most shows.)

This left those interested in General Admission seats with the option of purchasing more expensive tickets (which ranged from $98 to $165) or waiting for the public on-sale. Those who chose to search for more expensive tickets ran into some problems that have plagued Ticketmaster ever since they began selling tickets online: Passwords that did not work, pages that froze, interminable waits, and transactions that were mysteriously canceled even after the sale appeared to go through.

Even those who purchased tickets successfully reported that there were significant problems with the ticketing system. A number of buyers reported that the Ticketmaster seating charts they consulted during the purchase were changed later in the day and fans who thought they had prime seats next to the stage (at a cost of more than $175 each including service charges) found themselves in the back corner of the arena. Others pointed out that the seats that were offered were often the worst in the house.

U2 fan Emily Worth summarized the feelings of many of supporters of the band. “U2 backed out on a promise to their most loyal fans,” she said. “We joined the U2.com fan club under the premise that we would have priority ticket buying. Well, I'm a member of the fan club, but [three] hours after the pre-sale began, I am still ticketless. U2 have clearly not allotted for enough tickets to accommodate the fan club members. This treatment is unethical and has hurt the people that have funded the band's career for the past 25 years.”

This ticketing snafu especially distressed those members of the fan club who were previously members of Propaganda, the band’s fan club, which handled ticket distribution for years before closing after the conclusion of the last tour. In the past, ticket sales were handled in much the same way that bands like Pearl Jam handle fan-club ticket sales: Prior to public ticket sales, fan club members received a letter listing the forthcoming tour dates. Fans would then check off the show (or shows) they wanted to see and sent in money for the tickets.

For this tour, U2.com took over the fan club and associated presale chores and attempted to use Ticketmaster and Fanfire to coordinate the sale. Longtime fans were especially distressed. On the message boards at interference.com, U2 fan adenoid_hynkel wrote, “The band took a reliable fan-friendly service like Propaganda and replaced it with a poorly-managed company.”

And it wasn’t just North American fans that were served poorly today. European fans encountered similar problems went tickets went on sale this morning. At the band’s official Web site, u2.com, the following message was posted.

“European members have been buying tickets since 10am GMT this morning and some fans have let us know that they have experienced some frustrating technical problems.

“Ticketmaster have expressed their apologies to fans who were frustrated in the booking process – and are contacting all U2.Com European Members who failed to book their tickets to explain how they can still do this well within the presale window.

“‘With tickets available at all venues, we are confident that all those affected by the problem today will have been able to purchase tickets.’ reads the Ticketmaster statement. ‘Once again Ticketmaster would like to apologise to those affected by the problem today. Ticketmaster is committed to offering the best possible service and we can assure customers that once we became aware of the problem, we took every possible step to ensure a quick and efficient solution.”

Fans of the band have reacted loudly and swiftly, bombarding the offices of U2’s Principal Management with phone calls and faxes. They have also posted thousands of messages at the interference message boards, with frustration being the predominant emotion. “Is this any way for a band that thanked their fans "for giving us a great life" in their 2001 tour to treat their fan-club members who paid $40?” fan Patrick Farrell asked. “I clicked for 80 minutes, about 800 clicks… and did get [two] terrible seats for $300 only to have the final click at the Ticketmaster.com site on 'Click here to purchase tickets' bring me to a page that said ‘Internal service failure. Please try again.’” A frustrated Farrell added, “I love U2 more than anything except God, Family, Friends, and Country. It disgusts me that the band's image is being raked over the coals with their greatest fans due to the sins of Ticketmaster, U2.com, and the promoters who obviously funneled tickets to brokers because actual photos of tickets were on eBay before the presale.”

Numerous calls for comment to Ticketmaster and Fanfire were not returned. Callers to Principal Management were directed to contact their PR firm, Code Blue Media. At press time, messages to Code Blue were unanswered.

--groovevolt.com

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST MAIL, EMAIL AND/OR PHONE CONTACT INFO. FOR PRINCIPLE MANAGEMENT? IF ENOUGH PEOPLE COMPLAIN, MAYBE THEIR WILL BE FUTURE CHANGES!!!

ALTHOUGH I WAS FORTUNATE TO PURCHASE 2 (POOR) SEATS FOR THE MSG SHOW TODAY, THIS ENTIRE PROCESS IS REPULSIVE!!!

I CONTACTED & SPOKE WITH A FANFIRE.COM SERVICE REP. AND A SUPERVISOR. EACH OF THESE PEOPLE SIMPLY EXPLAINED TO ME THAT FANFIRE FOLLOWS PRINCIPLE'S & U2'S INSTRUCTIONS. THEY ALSO EXPLAINED TO ME THAT TICKETMASTER HANDLES ALL TICKET-ALLOTMENTS AND THAT ALL PAID U2.COM SUBSCRIBERS SHALL ONLY RECEIVE 1 PRE-SALE CODE FOR THE ENTIRE TOUR!!!

PAUL MCGIUNESS ONLY TELLING HALF THE STORY WHEN HE MENTIONS THAT ALL THE 'BEST SEATS' ARE THE LEAST EXPENSIVE. HE FAILS TO MENTION THAT TICKET PRICES FOR U2 SHOW'S CONTINUE TO INCREASE & THAT THE GA TICKETS ARE VERY LIMITED!!!

I'D LIKE TO KNOW HOW THE SCALPERS ALWAYS OBTAIN THE BEST SEATS BEFORE THE SHOW AND THEN PROCEED TO CHARGE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS FOR THESE TIX.

U2.COM ALSO FALSLEY ADVERTISED THAT PAID-SUBSCRIBERS WOULD HAVE THE CHANCE TO PURCHASE THE BEST SEATS; THIS IS NOT TRUE AS I ONLY HAD A CHANCE TO PURCHASE 2 CRAP SEATS! I UNDERSTAND THAT U2 ARE IMMENSELY POPULAR, SHOULD PROBABLY CHARGE THEIR MARKET-VALUE & ARE LIMITED W/TICKET SALES DUE TO LARGE DEMAND.

HOWEVER, IT IS QUITE CLEAR THAN EVER THAT U2 & THEIR MANAGEMENT IS MORE CONCERNED WITH CHARGING THEIR MOST LOYAL FANS EXORBITANT TICKET PRICES, EARNING THE MOST MONEY POSSIBLE & FALSELY ADVERTISING TO IT'S CORE FANS

ALTHOUGH THEIR MUSIC IS POPULAR, POWERFUL & SUSTAINING, GAINING RICHES & THE ALL-MIGHTY BUCK IS CLEARLY PARAMOUNT FOR THESE CORPORATE PIGS!

Last edited:
Bonoho said:

The band should have better control over their image.

Amen to that!

The smartest thing U2 could do right now is issue a statement of some sort. Remaining quiet is just giving the fans more time for their anger to build.

shifting stage

Well my wife and I have fallen victim to the "musical chairs" and are now sitting about three miles from the stage, for the pleasure of which we paid close to $400.

It's one thing having to shell out for seats close to the stage, it's another to have those seats magically move TO THE OPPOSITE END OF THE FUCKING ARENA.

It seems this thing couldn't have gone worse. Well, maybe if Kings of Leon were the support act. Oh, wait...

I did get tickets to NJ for the second night but I was one of those who let tickets go because according to Ticketmaster:madspit: the seats I let go were across from the stage. I finally got the tickets I wanted right next to the stage and one hour later a change is made and now I am across the stage. If I kept the original tickets I would have had great seats.

I am actually lucky because even though two tickets cost me $353 plus the $40 membership to U2.com:mad: I have the tickets.

But my friend who was doing the MSG in NY didn't and even though we were going together for both of these shows what went on this morning in this "so-called presale" was disgraceful. She tried for over an hour to get the best available in the 300's. Why did we need a presale to get seats for the 300 level? I could get those easily in the general public sale. So much for wanted to give priority to the U2 fans. BULLSHIT, the only ones who did well were the FUCKIN SCALPERS:madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

I am only just begining in my rant b/c this is the first time I was able to get on today and write. :rant:

I'm sorry but I've been a fan since 1983 and this is just unjust to all of the fans out there old or young. I think that U2, principal management, U2.com and Ticketmaster need to do something more than a little apology to the fans out there.

The whole thing is a mess. I remember for the last tour, my friends and I tried every way we could to get tickets. We had some trying on the internet, another on the phone with ticketmaster and others waiting in line at ticketmasters. We were finally able to get really bad seats -- and this was right after they went on sale. The whole ticket scalper/broker industry is out of hand. There is no way a show with 25,000 seats can be sold out in 5-10 minutes if the regular fans are buying them. As far as Ticketmaster.com goes, Im through with them. I had a horrible time just trying to tickets for the Nutcracker at Christmas time. Has anyone experienced the Ticketmaster "lottery" line? That's another scam.

like I said on Zootopia, we can't sit here and bitch about the band. Tickmaster is the evil bastards here, along with those fuckhead scalpers, who really need their heads kicked in. Unfortunately with a band as big as U2 people go nuts and do bad shit... im sure something will happen to either remburse those who got shafted or fix the situation

Well put!! This is the same scenario for every fan I've spoken to...at least on the west coast. I hope Principal Managment, etc. actually does something with this information!

You know what i am not mad a t ticket master. I am PISSED at U2 . i have been a fan since 1984 and i have spent most of my life followirg u2 with every fiber of my being. HEre is my two bits, if we are fans of a band who has been around for 3 decades the HArdcore fans the ones who pay for the membership should get ALL THE FLOOR SEATS. This is a f'n disgrace and u2 needs to get their heads out of their ass. they put out an album that has alot of unfinsihed songs like : yahweh, llpoe, cobl, osc. I mean c'mon, i have to believe if bono spent more time with the band these songs would have sounded more complete rather than good b-sides. And to let the tour situation get this bad, the website is a friggin jojke. "ohh goody lets poay for videos that were free 6 months ago". Simply U2 should be ashamed of themselves for not caring at all for their fans. i ran into numerous code failures and ended up with 300 level seats , gimme a break i could have got these on the regular sale, a friggin joke they have become.

I'M SORRY BUT HOW IN THE F&%K DID SO MANY TICKETS SHOW UP ON EBAY, I'M GONNA MURDER SOMEONE. THIS IS SUCH BULLSHIT, DO U REALLY THINK THEY ARE U2 FANS, U2 F'N SUCKS THE BIG ONE. NICE SHITTY 13 CITY TOUR ASSHOLES. IF YOU KNEW ME YOU WOULD KNOW HOW MUCH THIS HURTS ME TO SAY THIS AS I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT U2 FOR 21 YEARS A DIEHARD FAN BORDERLINE PYSCHOPATHICALLY ADDICTED FAN

Excellent article!

It is a dirty shame what the concert ticket industry has become. Well actually the whole entertainment industry, it is very much out of control and the true fans are the ones paying the price.

I would have saved my code for the third leg, if I could have ever gotten a clear answer as to if that was an option. So instead I settle for nosebleeds or the back of the arena and they were all the most expensive tickets, because I was afraid that if I didn't use my code this time, I might not get another chance.

Now if they add second nights to some of these cities on Saturday, I will be so furious because they should have given the fan club members the first shot at any GA's period!

dont even get me started....anyone have Principal Managements email or fax number?:rant:

-ticketless teenie

Last edited:
This is what happened to me for the Elevation tour. I got an email, logged on ticketmaster, purchased 2 tickets, clicked to confirm my buy and got "Internal Server Error" - from that point on I could not reconnect to their website. I called them long distance (no 800 number) and after being on hold for 65 minutes, they told me the presale was closed! That was 4 years ago.

What is even more disappponting is that for the new tour they have no dates in the southern USA, I mean no Dallas dates, no Atlanta dates, no Charlotte dates, no Miami dates, no Houston dates - it seems that U2 does not play in red states any more.

Hopefully they come back in the fall, a little tighter after so many dates. If they don't, they will loose at least one 25 year fan.

Ian

You know what REALLY pisses me off (like I couldn't be enough, already..thank God I had decided not to do the presale at all)...

was that TM isn't even worried about fan reaction or anything. They could have kept the "musical chairs" secret and let the fans get a nasty surprise when they walked in the arena show night, and by then of course it would be too late to protest. But doing this so soon, making it public etc, it's like TM is deliberately taking great pleasure in giving a colossal "F YOU" to the fans. There might as well be a middle finger rising from the center of the GA oval, in that diagram. It's like they're saying, "Ha ha, you think you're so special, we'll show you." Fine logic if they hadn't gotten into a threesome with the local ticket brokers.

They don't think there will be a fan reaction? Or the media won't raise a stink? U2 can't rectify this, it's gone too far...that's the sick part. What's gone is gone.

It's crunch time for the band. Let's see what they do to pass this test. Fan reaction has never been like this before. I think this is a sobering U2 legacy first.

Last edited:
I am crushed by my attempt to buy tickets today. U2.com won't see a subscription from me again.
I have not been impressed with U2.com since day one
and always come to Interference for everything U2.

U2 tickets

I was one of thousands of U2 fans who tried to get tickets during the special fan presale Tuesday, only to come away utterly disappointed and $350 poorer for lousy seats. I enjoy Interference and have been a fan for a long time. I know it costs money to keep the site operating, and I can appreciate the time and effort put into it. That said, however, I find it incredibly offensive to see ads on the interference.com website from totaltickets.com as "your source for sold out U2 shows. These ads have been on the site for weeks, and a link has been included in all interference.com email updates. By the way, I signed up for totaltickets.com information just to see what they would offer. I got an email on Jan. 23 - two days before the U2.com fan presale - offering me tickets for sale, $300 for GAs, and up. I can't help but wonder how many real U2 fans missed out on tickets because of creeps like this. Yes, they will sell tickets to people willing to fork over those ridiculous prices, but the real fans miss out.

I'M SORRY! I KNOW WE ARE ALL FEELING THE SAME WAY..i am so digusted and frustrated and it sickens me that i paid 40.00
''''FOR NOTHING!!!!!!!""....I WANT MY MONEY BACK, IF I AM NOT ABLE TO GET TICKETS!!!...THOSE BASTARDS AT U2.COM LET US DOWN!!...I SAY WE BOYCOTT THE SITE!!!!:mad: :madspit:

If people want to get together and get a lawyer and take legal action against Ticketmaster, the promoters or whoever regarding the preslales debacle - fine.

But DON'T DISGRACE U2! We do not even know if they knew all the fine details of this presales - they may not even be responsible for any of this.

So, until we know for sure if U2 had any complicity in this presales fraud, PLEASE LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Their credibility and living legacy are on the line here - and there is no reason to tarnish them.

I can't see anything to be ultimately gained by any of your proposed actions - except more pain for U2.

And I'm not comfortable with that.

Take good care. The Goal is Soul.

ONE, debbie :wink:

Back
Top Bottom