(01-25-2005) U2 Ticket Presale Inflames Fans -- groovevolt.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's not just the presale that's pissed me off. It's the price. £55 for a GA??? that's like US$110! And £85 for seats........

fucking ridiculous. And don't try to tell me that the boys themselves didn't have anything to do with the price level that's been set.....

:tsk:

at the moment, I have no interest in U2. They are not my friends.

:D

Come on now, U2 are control freaks per say. :wink:

They know the system, but I personally feel they can't do anything about it, because the people behind this are the big :censored: record company execs and concert promoters, they are the ones that get in to bed with TM & brokers!

U2 have been taking their money from concerts up front, since Pop I believe, and I think when you take your money first, you lose some of the control you would have had otherwise. I think they did what they thought was fair and right by letting the fan club have first crack at the tickets... but when all the good tickets are already gone before the presale even begins, then where does that leave the fans?
It leaves them feeling like they've been :censored: in the ass, but U2 may feel that way too, I think they just need to tell the execs to FUCK OFF!:mad:

Jamila said:
But DON'T DISGRACE U2! We do not even know if they knew all the fine details of this presales - they may not even be responsible for any of this.

So, until we know for sure if U2 had any complicity in this presales fraud, PLEASE LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Their credibility and living legacy are on the line here - and there is no reason to tarnish them.

I can't see anything to be ultimately gained by any of your proposed actions - except more pain for U2.

And I'm not comfortable with that.

that's funny 'cause i remember reading an interview in nme last month where bono was proudly reminding people how much control u2 have over everything to do with the band. but perhaps that control doesn't extend to involvement in the decision to charge their fans $40 for the chance to buy tickets and then $100s for the tickets themselves. are you really that naive that you think the band had no say whatsoever in those decisions?

no reason to tarnish u2's credibility? they've completely screwed over their fans - the very people who gave them that credibility to begin with.

and causing pain for u2? boo-fucking-hoo. poor little millionaire rockstars, wouldn't we hate for them to be upset that their fans are angry with them. no, my sympathy is with all the people who spent hours sitting at a computer screen getting progressively more angry, upset and frustrated as they saw their chance of seeing their favourite band slipping away. they're the people who have 'suffered' out of this - not u2, who are going to go out on tour and make their millions anyway. do you think u2 give a fuck if it's their biggest fans who get tickets, or just the ones who can offer the most money?

u2 would be nowhere without the fans who have supported them over the years. and this is how they repay people? i have no respect at all for this band anymore.

If I ask an organisation to handle an important part of my business and they fuck up, I have to take responsibility as it was me who chose them in the first place. Why do U2 get away with it.
Not witholding any family illness which obviously is more important, this has tio be addressed by U2. If not they literally are giving you the 'bend over and let me get the Ky gel'

Jamila said:
If people want to get together and get a lawyer and take legal action against Ticketmaster, the promoters or whoever regarding the preslales debacle - fine.

But DON'T DISGRACE U2! We do not even know if they knew all the fine details of this presales - they may not even be responsible for any of this.

So, until we know for sure if U2 had any complicity in this presales fraud, PLEASE LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Their credibility and living legacy are on the line here - and there is no reason to tarnish them.

I can't see anything to be ultimately gained by any of your proposed actions - except more pain for U2.

And I'm not comfortable with that.

Take good care. The Goal is Soul.

ONE, debbie :wink:

Well said, Jamila. I'm sick of people "rethinking their love" :huh: :lol: and bitching about the band. I think the only thing U2 have done wrong is to allow U2.com to be their official website and Ticketbastard to be their official distributor - both organisations are tarnishing the band's image and besmirching their name (that last bit was supposed to be ridiculously dramatic, I thought it would be appropriate for this topic).

So I wish people would quit hammering U2. As far as I'm concerned, anyway, the majority of the blame does not lie with the band members themselves, but with their managemeent, U2.com, and Ticketmaster. The band only made the mistake of choosing inefficient and useless organisations to represent them. Yes, they messed up on that score, but the way people are calling out for them to be hanged, drawn and quartered is just silly, in my opinion. Yes, I understand that everyone is extremely pissed off - I was gutted yesterday as well, just like hundreds of thousands of other people.

Let's hope U2 learn from this error of judgement - I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt - and not through blind loyalty, but out of fairness. I do think that the band ought to do something to placate their fans. If the same thing happens all over again, then it's time to giving U2 hell - not now.

Incidentally... it seems like 5 minutes ago that hundreds of people were whining about the tour announcement being postponed, and don't even get me started on some of the disgusting attitudes towards the "family illness". With fans like tat, they don't need enemies.

Just my opinion...

Last edited:
I have to think they know about the ticket situation. They always say how much control they have over the band. Second, it's their "official website" If your name, image, etc is going to be on a website, you have to have some accountability for that. Also, I have read about bands that know how much the tickets are selling for and have done something about it. I cant remember their name to save my life, but they made sure that the prices were cheap, so everyone could afford them.
Ive been a fan for 20 yrs and have seen them plenty of times. I think this time Im taking a pass.

I would not have joined to get the last seat in the upper balcony. Which is apparently what I got. It would not let me go for any better seats and this was after trying for 2 hours.

U2 had a choice to make: Propaganda and direct control of the best seats to fans or TM/ClearChannel and millions of extra dollars knowing those tickets will go into broker/promoter hands.

U2 must be held accountable.

An afterthought: with reference to law suits, etc, could someone please explain to me exactly what grounds there are for suing? I'm not being sarcastic - I genuinely don't see any legal basis for it - so you guys must know something about this whole affair that I don't. Please share!

sallycinnamon78 said:
So I wish people would quit hammering U2. As far as I'm concerned, anyway, the majority of the blame does not lie with the band members themselves, but with their managemeent, U2.com, and Ticketmaster. The band only made the mistake of choosing inefficient and useless organisations to represent them.

So you think U2 had nothing to do with the decision to charge $40 for site membership? Really? You think they had no control, no say over how many tickets were released for sale yesterday? You think they had no control over the ticket prices?

I don't believe for a second that all four band members were entirely ignorant of this and were never consulted on those decisions. They could have told their management, U2.com or whoever else that charging $40 for site membership was wrong, they could have told them that selling tickets for nearly $200 in some cases was wrong. Apparently they didn't and for that they need to take responsibility.

They've treated their fans incredibly badly and I say this as someone who wasn't even attempting to get tickets but has been annoyed to see how many others have been disappointed.

That is my point....I have reviewed the information from the subscribe page. They NEVER indicated until the email last week that there would be limited tickets in sections. The fans are not mad because they were looking for a reason get pissed. they are mad because we were misled. We would not have been there if their names were not associated with the band.

I am looking for phone numbers to call.
I still have hope the band will make it right.

otherwise, from where my 7 year old and I are sitting....Bono is going to look like a drop in the ocean.

Y'know, I'm getting on a bit, I've followed this band since War. I love the music, I love what they have stood for, they are and have been for a while the biggest band in the world. But please do not think they are not responsible for this. THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE! It seems times have changed. They have an opportunity to make this right, to offer something special to those expecting Propaganda style service. It's time to step up to the plate boys.

Yeah, I'm really pissed off about the whole thing. U2 themselves need to step up and do what they can to put this right.

Also, am I the only one, or is it odd that there was no official tour announcement that contained the spread of ticket prices? It's like they were trying to keep them secret till the sale date. I'm pretty sure that I knew what the Elevation tour ticket prices were well before they went on sale. Just seems a bit odd, ya know??

Pre-ticket Sale!? What a joke!!! The band needs to rectify this horrible situation!

I cannot agree more with all the angry U2.com members. The pre-sale was a farce and and insult to all of the many fans around the world who shelled out a whopping $40 for nothing! Does anyone have the number and the email address for Principal Management in Dublin. I know they are re-directing call, but I want to call even though I am in the USA. I want them to be so sick and tired of complaints by their long-time fans, that they do something about this unethical treatment to their fans.

Thank you.

I TOLD YOU ALL THAT THIS U2 PRESALE WAS A WASTE OF 40!!!

Sure, they promise you tickets...but they only release a few hundred tickets in each price section for people to purchase...so that means several thousand people get the shaft.

I don't think you should be complaining...Common sense tells you that the offer was too good to be true.

There certainly was NO WAY that ALL people who paid 40 dollars would get presale tickets...there would be no tickets left for the general public.

I contacted u2.com and Ticketmaster and after being blown off by them I called Principal Management's New York office ( 212-765-2330 ) this morning to get an email address.
They prefer any complaints to be faxed to their office at 212-765-2372.
So if any of you want to take action theres some info for you.:huh:... fax or ring away!

anyone else asking for a refund from u2.com? just curious..:tsk:

Last edited:
I just called PM b/c I wanted to know if there was a website, fax, phone, or any place I could direct fans to either file a complaint or be informed as to what measures U2 plans on taking (if any) as a result of the presale fiasco and how more tickets ended up in the hands of scaplers than fans (or so it would seem).

I explained that I ran a U2 fansite & just wanted to offer help.

She told me that she was very sorry, but she has not been given *any* information as to where or whom we should contact re: this situation. She suggested I tell ppl to keep an eye on u2.com's main page for any information or updates to be made to the public.

I also asked her 1) if U2 & PM knew of what happened & how more tickets are on eBay than in fans' hands and; 2) if U2 &/or PM were going to issue any kind of apology to the fans.

Her answers were: 1) Yes, U2 & PM are aware of what happend and; 2) I don't know.

:shrug:

wad2k said:
SPREAD THIS STORY EVERYONE>>>AND DO IT TONIGHT!!!!!.....I have the thread going at ZOOTOPIA:
http://www.u2.com/bbs/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/u2-general/page/0

It won't take you long at all!!!

Just goto to your local radio stations and tv stations websites and email the link!

SUBJECT: BREAKING NEWS:U2 TICKET PRESALE INFLAMES FANS

(just highlight, copy and paste the link in the email)

http://www.groovevolt.com/Newswires/newswire.asp?ID=1199

This is the only way we'll get answers!!!!

I'm not a member of u2.xom can't acess

Refund!!!

There is only one innocent party here, and that is Fanfire (responsible for administering the memberships). U2 et. al. knew all about what was going on, though they may have underestimated demand.

What I have done, and what I urge all of you to do, is call Fanfire and request a refund. They are very pleasant and will refund the entire $40 (or $20) - not prorated as stated in another post. Due to the large number of refund requests, they are asking that you wait a few days for the refund to be processed.

As I stated in my blog, U2 - Bono especially - forgot he was a musician in the midst of becoming a politician, and we all know politicians can't keep their promises.

Re: Refund!!!

redright said:

As I stated in my blog, U2 - Bono especially - forgot he was a musician in the midst of becoming a politician, and we all know politicians can't keep their promises.
Oh yeah, I know! Let's all bash Bono! It's ALL HIS FAULT ISN'T IT?

Absolute bullshit. The band's management fucked up. So did U2.com. So did Ticketmaster. MOAN AT THEM.

You lot will be blaming him for World War II next.:mad: :mad: :madspit: :angry: :scream: :scream:

Re: Re: Refund!!!

sallycinnamon78 said:

Oh yeah, I know! Let's all bash Bono! It's ALL HIS FAULT ISN'T IT?

Absolute bullshit. The band's management fucked up. So did U2.com. So did Ticketmaster. MOAN AT THEM.

You lot will be blaming him for World War II next.:mad: :mad: :madspit: :angry: :scream: :scream:

So U2 are absolved of all responsiblity? You really think the band were never consulted on the decision to charge $40 for site membership? Never consulted on ticket prices? Never consulted on how many tickets would be offered for presale?

..No tickets and its a full moon..no wonder we're all uptight..I've requested a refund through fanfare..here is the email address I used tickethelp@fanfire.com
..anyone have more updated/correct info. let me know. :crazy:

anyone else asking for a refund from u2.com? just curious..:tsk:

I called Fanfire demanding a refund and said they can't provide refunds as stated on the "terms" on U2.com

I filed complaints with Signatures Network (who owns Fanfire) with the State Attorney General's Office and the California Department of Consumer Affairs.

Re: Refund!!!

What I have done, and what I urge all of you to do, is call Fanfire and request a refund. They are very pleasant and will refund the entire $40 (or $20) - not prorated as stated in another post. Due to the large number of refund requests, they are asking that you wait a few days for the refund to be processed.

That is completely false. I called them this morning and they would not do that

Good for you MAcPhisto.

I agree that it is Clear Channel's fault more than anyone. They bought out SFX 2 yrs ago and now have a virtual strangehold on radio AND the concert biz. U2 have no choice but to do business with these people. They may have wanted to back out of the "up fromt cash" deal (MAYBE) but maybe now they can't, without a loss of tour support.

There are people on WIRE who are actually calling the complainers spoiled babies and telling us to grow up. To which I replied:

The fans who think they deserve tickets b/c they are longtime fans ARE spoiled in a sense. THe issue is not that longtime fans are left out in the cold, but that this hurts EVERYONE.

I said: I am amazed, shocked, and appalled that you would shrug this off to TM's past and call us spoiled complaining. How can you excuse such practices as flipping the seating chart? The issue is QUALITY OF SERVICE.

If you got this kind of "customer service" from a hospital, a department store, a car repair place, or a bank, would you brush it off and say "que sera, sera"? If you made a deposit in a bank, and suddenly an emergency came up and you had to withdraw money from the bank the next day, but the teller says to you, 'I'm sorry, the company vice president decided to throw a dinner for the Boardof Trustess, and we had to draw from your account"? Or you went to an ATM and found your account depleted? Would you sigh and say, "What can you do'?

NO you :censored: WELL WOULD NOT.

I can't understand how we do not hold TM up to the same stabdards of performance and accountability as other companies who provide us with public services. People these days sue for emotional distress. They sue at the drop of a hat. WHY should an entertainment comapny like TM be any different?? Why do we accept--AND ENDURE--corruption a the highest level from a campany that provides us a service as imprtant as any other? Why do we accept a state of corruption to exist in this company, and not in a store?

If there are serious rumblings against a class-action lawsuit against TM by U2 fans, I'm all for it. People have taken on WAL-MArt and won.

Before this, however, we can NOT let this die down. TM and Principle are probably hiding behind a wall of silence right now because they think that fans not getting tickets is the main issue. IT ISN'T. It's an issue of TRUST. It's an issue of a compant--TM--thinking it can lie, cheat, and betray its customers openly just becuase it has the sole monopoly of the biz.

What we need to do, AFTER public sale next week, is to keep this alive. We need to CALL, ON THE PHONE, (NOT email or fax), all the major media outlets. DON't send articles to websites--get fax numbers, fax articles, THEN contact all the biggies. IN the USA: Fox, CNN, all the networks, etc. One good TV segment on this on FOX, ABC, a special "60 Minutes" degment on corruption in the ticket biz, an E! special or segment, will do wonders. And make it clear that while we are U2 fans, this affects ANY type of fan who buys from TM, for ANY event.

Secondly: we must also get this on the papers as well. U2 have a few very high-profile "friends" in the print media whom they use to do write about them. Edna Gurdensen of USa Today, Jon Pareles of the NY TImes, and esp Robert Hilburn of the LA Times need to be contacted personally, and informed of the TM fiasco. They may be afraid to take on TM (they know where their bread is buttered) but at least they can make some behindthe scenes phone calls. itisn;t just the fans that are screaming.

The issue here is not necessarily that we didn't get tix (although that is a scandal), but that the corruption level at TM and CC has gotten to such a point that it will be self-destructive to both companies' business if it goes on. It would be good to point out that due to such TM tactics as flipping the seating chart around, it appears that the band's most rabid fans--and the ones who would normally snap even the nosebleeds up beucase they were desperate--and going unbought, and a day later, there are lots of tickets left. Nomatter if this is not entirely accurate--(used codes) but the importnat thing si that that we start a ball riolling. It could also be privately communicated to the media honchos that there are rumors that the fans will file a class-action lawsuit if some issues are not addressed by TM IN PUBLIC and in a subsantive way.

It is highly important that it be siad we are using this unfortunate event to try to get TM ti address issues that willlead to CONSTRUCTIVE changes in the biz.

Pearl Jam were naieve. They went o COngress, never dreaming that the gov't could be bought off. It got a lot of media attention but no change. Better to do Bono's way. Get the right people..and after a brief but intense media scare (the stick) go for private negotiation (the carrot.)

sallycinnamon78 said:
An afterthought: with reference to law suits, etc, could someone please explain to me exactly what grounds there are for suing? I'm not being sarcastic - I genuinely don't see any legal basis for it - so you guys must know something about this whole affair that I don't. Please share!

The Better Business Bureau could be contacted for fraudulent business tactics by Ticketmaster. By baiting and switching, of course. They showed some ticket purchasers that their seats were next to the stage and then changed the seating format, so after the tickets are purchased the seats are very from the stage. Most people would not have paid $300 and up for nosebleed seats. Ticketmaster used unethical business practices during the pre-sale. If the BBB would not give the consumer satisfaction on the issue, I do believe it would be possible to take it to court :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom