(01-22-2005) U2.com Members Only Entitled to One Show -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
two points here:

1. How could you be confused by the language of the email?? It is written in plain English and clearly stated.

2. What did you expect? To be given prime access to every show on the tour? Can you imagine the logisgtics nightmare if that were so? How many fan club members would want to see U2 in Dublin, NY, London? Probably most. It just wouldn't work.

3. Why would you state "looks like most of us will be using general admission after all"? You get to go to a show without waiting in line for tickets! And if you're lucky enough to have the riches and freedom to travel the world going to U2 concerts then I'd say count your blessings as that would be enough for most people!!

Fine by me. I'm only going to one show, and with everyone trying to get San Diego or whatever, I shouldn't be worried about the GA Floor Seat tickets being sold out for my area.

I almost bought the subscription, but didn't. I'm thankful I didn't, because $40 would go a long way in my life right now.

Back during the Elevation Tour the ticket codes from U2.com were supplied before every ticket announcement, so this time around it was misleading to say that with the subscription you'd only get a code adaptable to ONE show. Last time around we paid nothing AND got codes that allowed us to potentiallly buy tickets in advance for any show we wanted.

THIS IS BULLSHIT. AND THE BAND IS RESPONSIBLE.

GREED.

I guess they really have sold out. Didn't they make enough money on the last 4 world tours?

I doubt think I'll be able to listen to U2 for a while.

Danospano said:

I doubt think I'll be able to listen to U2 for a while.

Good, if you're getting so pissed at the band for this I certainly don't want you at any of the shows I go see.

Propaganda Members.....

Didnt I recall a posting on U2.Com stating that were supposed to wait till you got your letter becuase when you enroled in U2.Com you were put to "the front of the line" before the pre-sale, before the general sale of tickets?

The way Im seeing this is old propaganda members who have been members for 10 plus years have just as much chance of getting good seats as anyone who signs up today? Am I presuming that correctly? I know I read the statement of 2 tickets to one show right, but as far as being a propaganda member entitling you to better tickets, I swear thats the way I read it. Any comments?

All they meant yby the Prop members is that they get to participate in the pre-sale. They aren't comparing them to those who subscribe to u2.com this year, they are comparing them to those who don't subscribe at all and have to wait until the general sale.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

From u2.com, 11-24-2004:
Q - How many tickets will I be able to buy under the priority booking arrangement as a member of U2.Com ?
A - You will be able to buy two tickets for any indoor U2 show or four tickets for any outdoor U2 show.

Exactly. We've been knowing this for weeks and months.

Not every, but any show. Not several shows, but a single show.

Last edited:
dsmith2904 said:
U2.com Members Only Entitled to One Show

Today, U2.com members were sent an e-mail with their Vertigo Tour presale code and learned the following...

As a Paid-up U2.Com Subscriber you will be able to purchase up to two (2) tickets for any one (1) indoor show (North America) or up to four (4) tickets for any one (1) outdoor show (Europe).

Somewhat confused by the language of this statement, a call was made to FanFire where Interference.com learned that a $20 or $40 U2.com subscription only entitles members to tickets for one show.

Looks like all of us will be trying our luck on the general sales after all.

A comparision of 2 fan clubs, both of which I am a member:

Pearl Jam fan club(Ten Club) = a $15 yearly subscription fee entitles members a GUARANTEE to purchase tickets to ANY number of shows, a free single vinyl album & booklet. PJ tix usually cost approximately $40-$50 per show.

U2 fan club = $40 yearly subscription fee which entitles members access to a pre-sale code that enables them the opportunity to purchase tix to just one show & access to video/audio clips on the bands web site. U2 tix usually cost $50-$160 per show.

Besides these obvious aforementioned clear benefits of the PJ club, they routinely change their playlists and play for over 2 1/2 hours per show whereas U2 generally play only about 2 hours per show & perform the same songs(on each specific tour, that is). U2 exaggerate the point of selling the 'best' seats at the least expensive price, while ignoring the fact that these seats are limited and most seats are of the exorbitant price of $90-$160.

I admittedly am a hypocritical sucker as I paid the $40 fee for U2.com in this touring year(I will definitely not re-new my subscription next year!).

Provided I get 2 quality seats, it will probably be worth it as I planned on paying big $ to see my favorite band(we all only have this opportunity once every 4-5 years). However, any rational, objective U2 fan must realize that they are money-hungry, greedy, capitalist's who's straddle the artisit vs. commercial/$ line of credibility way too often for my taste.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
As far as Bono and his "ethics"....he does more than any of us do to try and make this world a better place. Have you voluntarilly gone to Africa multiple times and dug wells there? Or had newspapers thrown in your face by a Congressman while trying to explain the situation of debt relieft, AIDS meds, and the like? Or set up your own NGO? The fact that he has a lot of money from his "day job" really isn't a factor. If you have ten dollars in your pocket now, you are rich in comparison to a lot of other countries where they are living on a dollar a day.

I think the wording at U2.com was pretty straightforward. And I appreciate the oppurtunity to be sure I have good tix for one show. I'd pay $20 extra per ticket to get good spots...I don't think U2 is sitting over at PM and plotting our financial ruin.

WELL SAID, stars.:applaud:

mhowells said:
two points here:

1. How could you be confused by the language of the email?? It is written in plain English and clearly stated.

2. What did you expect? To be given prime access to every show on the tour? Can you imagine the logisgtics nightmare if that were so? How many fan club members would want to see U2 in Dublin, NY, London? Probably most. It just wouldn't work.

3. Why would you state "looks like most of us will be using general admission after all"? You get to go to a show without waiting in line for tickets! And if you're lucky enough to have the riches and freedom to travel the world going to U2 concerts then I'd say count your blessings as that would be enough for most people!!

Couldn't have put it better myself !!! I only expected advance purchase of one show - and BTW 4 tickets for a 50-70,000 capacity show in Europe is , IMO, not an advantage (as some in the US have written) to 2 tickets to an indoor show in the US/Canada - typically 15-20k capacity. ANYWAY, THE SOONER WE START INVITING EACH OTHER TO SHOWS ACROSS THE GLOBE THE BETTER !

I just don't know yet whether my code allows me to go for a show in the US - say SD ?? I also have to say that- despite some saying the US gets more shows because of prices there- it looks as if the cheapest tickets will be in the US rather than Europe (intersting to see UK prices given the £'s strength compared to the $ - although probably comparing apples & pears as stadium shows ususally cost more)!

Of course it could be- for the first time in a while- that with a minimum (they will add shows as they sell out quickly) of 30 stadium shows then U2 will play to more fans in Europe than the US - which from recent sales of CDs is absolutely right ! But hey, that gives our friends from the US/canada a chance to see the boys over here - and hope the invite follows the other way ?

Mike (first concert 1982 - cost £3.50)

Well whoopdey-friggen doo for Pearl Jam fans. Personally any chance at getting tickets to any U2 show is better than missing it all together. I missed two Elevation shows because I couldn't get tickets in time. An extra 40 bucks to get two tickets to a U2 show? Sounds good to me.

I think 4 tickets at a 60 000 or so capacity about evens out 2 tickets at a 20 000 or so capacity. 3 times the bigger capacity, 3 times more people you get to bring along.

I also think that the number of US shows will even out, if not exceed, the amount of people seeing the band, compared to Europe.
(also don't forget Europe - apart from West and Scandinavian lands - won't get played and a huge country like France will only get 2 shows while a single city in US will get 2 or 3 shows)

Last edited:
SteveGed said:
Propaganda Members.....

Didnt I recall a posting on U2.Com stating that were supposed to wait till you got your letter becuase when you enroled in U2.Com you were put to "the front of the line" before the pre-sale, before the general sale of tickets?

The way Im seeing this is old propaganda members who have been members for 10 plus years have just as much chance of getting good seats as anyone who signs up today? Am I presuming that correctly? I know I read the statement of 2 tickets to one show right, but as far as being a propaganda member entitling you to better tickets, I swear thats the way I read it. Any comments?

I was a member of U2INFO before Prop (have all the mags from each BTW - any offers ?), been a fan since 81, seen them 48 times - so does that mean I deserve tickets more than new members of u2com ?

On one level I would say - given the £000's I have spent both buying products from this great band and following them to concerts across Europe - Yes.

But, that's not the position I (and many others no doubt) find themselves - so I instead smile that I will most probably get great tickets/seats to see them (the greatest band in the world today)at another great concert , and take my chances in respect of getting tickets for other concerts.

6 million albums sold in just 2 months = high demand for tickets, that's life when we love the `real deal'

Mike

I don't see how it's fair that poeple who've been seeing the band for 20 years should get priority tickets, while I shouldn't (this going to be my first U2 concert ever). I mean, just because certain people were born earlier than me, that makes them bigger or better fans? Bullshit. Anyone with that mindset deserves to be screwed out of tickets.

U2girl said:
I think 4 tickets at a 60 000 or so capacity about evens out 2 tickets at a 20 000 or so capacity. 3 times the bigger capacity, 3 times more people you get to bring along.

I also think that the number of US shows will even out, if not exceed, the amount of people seeing the band, compared to Europe.
(also don't forget Europe - apart from West and Scandinavian lands - won't get played and a huge country like France will only get 2 shows while a single city in US will get 2 or 3 shows)

U2 girl - so far better put then I could - although I hope the exception is not onlyu the UK. UK - Nearly half of US sales - so half number of concert tickets ? Europe - similar shipment but greater sales should mean more concerts ?

let's see what tomorrow brings - I expect single/double UK dates to start and then additional dates - maybe the same in parts of Europe .

BTW - how must friends in S America be feeling with the whinging here - U2, take note - our friends there deserve some concerts !!!!!

Mike

mikeuk said:

I was a member of U2INFO before Prop (have all the mags from each BTW - any offers ?), been a fan since 81, seen them 48 times - so does that mean I deserve tickets more than new members of u2com ?

On one level I would say - given the £000's I have spent both buying products from this great band and following them to concerts across Europe - Yes.

Mike

NO, thankyou! Fans are fans. I too am a longtime fan - that doesn't meanI would ask for more benefits than other people. I'm not accusing you of that - but I am saying that, if we start all the "I've been a fan longer than you and given the band x amount of support and xx amount of money", we're getting into some dangerous and pointless social strata. Stuff that. It's idiotic and dangerous.:huh:

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

NO, thankyou! Fans are fans. I too am a longtime fan - that doesn't meanI would ask for more benefits than other people. I'm not accusing you of that - but I am saying that, if we start all the "I've been a fan longer than you and given the band x amount of support and xx amount of money", we're getting into some dangerous and pointless social strata. Stuff that. It's idiotic and dangerous.:huh:

Shame you didn't quote all of my message - I thought the second part made it clear I am quite happy with the arrangements !?

That's why I said - on the part you quote- on one level, and then went onto explain why I WAS happy with `as is' - but would still like us all to (if possible) look at exchanging tickets etc.

Mike

Yeah, I do understand that. I'm a bit sensitive at the moment with loads of shit going on - didn't mean to sound like I was biting your head off. I just wanted to emphasise that I think we should all have a fair chance with the tickets. I said I wasn't accusing you and I meant it. :)I stick firmly by my point about the social categorisation thing - it wasn't a swipe at you though. HJust something I feel strongly about.

:blahblah:

Last edited:
Well all of you that are happy with the open worded 'tickets to any show' and getting an explanation 2 days before the presale will enjoy your $40 chance to get into one show, while playing with your keychain and plastic membership card that has no purpose but too flash to other people show how cool we are as U2 fans. I can't be that cool cus they haven't sent me mine and I truly expect problems with the ticket services come Tuesday morning.

And, as someone brought up earlier, using the plight of other people in the world to calm angry customers down is completely unfair. If you think that is fair, then you shouldn't be angry if anything didn't go your way, like the other day when someone sideswiped your car, or didn't call you back when you were supposed to go out, or when your friend didn't pay you back for the loan. Banks shouldn't go after company's when depositing checks written by people that bounce. Hell, The Edge shouldn't have been pissed when the CD was stolen and they shouldn't have reported it missing. When a phone line or internet service is interrupted for a while, don't get upset because you don't have problems. :|

Last edited:
"Tickets to any show" and "tickets to every show" are two completely different things. Sorry you didn't understand that two months ago.

Lancemc said:
"Tickets to any show" and "tickets to every show" are two completely different things. Sorry you didn't understand that two months ago.

No.

"Tickets to any show" and "Tickets to any one show" are two different things. Though I don't count myself as one of those who are really upset about this, I can respect those that are upset because there is unnecessary room for interpretation in their wording. Fanfare knows how the wording could be interpreted or misinterpreted (depending on which side you fall on) therefore they are guilty of purposely misleading people to make a sale, which is not only a not so nice thing to do, it is also bad business.

I think mkjc's post is a fine note to end on. It seems everyone's side has been aired--those who feel they understood from the beginning that subsrcibers were only getting tickets to one show and those who did not. If you'd like to continue on these ticket discussions, there are several open threads in the Tour Forum that you can check out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom