(01-22-2005) Boy Band Blue Tops U2 in French Music Awards - Reuters*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://wwwi.reuters.com/images/mdf832111.jpg[/SIMG]
Boy Band Blue Tops U2 in French Music Awards

CANNES, France (Reuters) - Brit boy band Blue edged Irish rock group U2 to a top honor at France's biggest music awards on Saturday night, with hip-hop group Black Eyed Peas and pop band Maroon 5 scooping awards of their own.

The award show, hosted by European radio group NRJ, featured performances from R&B star Usher and Jennifer Lopez, who performed her new song "Get Right" accompanied by dancers clad in schoolgirl outfits.

Blue won the award for best international group, beating U2 who received a special achievement award that was presented to lead singer Bono by supermodel Naomi Campbell.

"I'm not from this country but I'll make a little confession to you -- it's at the Cote d'Azure I feel at home," Bono said in French.

mdf832111.jpg

(Photo by Eric Gaillard/Reuters)

Several members of U2 own homes a stone's throw from the awards venue in Cannes.

Maroon 5 -- actually Maroon 2 for the night, with the rest of the band's members unable to attend -- won two awards, for best new international artist and best international song.

Guitarist Jesse Carmichael said the band, which has been without bassist Ryan Dusick due to a shoulder injury, hopes to be back at full strength soon.

"We've been touring so intensely ... hopefully he'll be back in the spring," Carmichael said.

Black Eyed Peas picked up the best international album gong for "Elephunk." French singer Jenifer also took home two awards, for best French female singer and best French album.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

For more photos of Bono from the event, visit: http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=U2&ei=UTF-8&c=news_photos

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=musicNews&storyID=7400556

Last edited:
Bono said :

"Merci! Merci! Merci! Thank You, thanks very much, thank you! Well... well...
Je ne suis pas un enfant du pays! Mais je vais vous faire une petite confidence : sur la côte, je me sens chez moi. Quand j'ai un peu de liberté, je viens ici pour en avoir encore plus. Le matin, je descends de ma maison pour nager dans le grand bleu. C'est très sain. Mais le soir, les dangers arrivent : les boîtes, les jolies filles, Naomi Campbell, les grands vins, c'est dur, c'est vraiment dur, mais vous voyez : j'ai survécu.
Merci pour la vie incroyable que vous nous avez donné avec moi Bono, Adam, Larry et ce soir en particulier The Edge... The Edge... The Edge.
Thank you NRJ.
We see you all... Paris, Stade de France, ninth of July, Nice, Parc des Sports, fifth of august. Vive la France!"

that means:

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you very much, thank you!Well...well...
I am not a Native French son! But I have to make you a confidence : in the Riviera, I'm at home. When I've got spare time, I come here to got more of it. In the Morning, I leave my home to go to swim in the "big blue" (N.B : the sea). It is healthy. But in the night, the dangers come : night clubs, beautiful women, Naomi Campbell, great wine, it is hard, it is really hard, but, you see, i've survived.
Thank you for the great life that you give us, to me Bono, Adam, Larry and in this special night The Edge...The Edge...The Edge.
Thank you NRJ (N.B. : NRJ is a french radio)
We see you all... Paris, Stade de France, ninth of July, Nice, Parc des Sports, fifth of august. Long live France!"

I am French so, sorry for my english

NRJ music award the most commercial stuff you can get. This radio station is the worst you can have.... I was really surprised Bono would show up and a little bit disappointed knowing that he appears now at "very bad" music awards.... It's good that U2 didn't win anything, because the winners are the worst kind of band that you can hear on the radio....... Anyway, it was good watching him and hearing his french :wink: which was actually not bad at all!!!

I suspect that something is really going on with Edge, because he thanked him 3 times.....

I can't wait for the tour!!!! I'll be in Nice the 8th of August for sure!!!! :drool:

Yahweh_OMG said:
I suspect that something is really going on with Edge, because he thanked him 3 times.....

This is so frustrating -- my heart just aches when I read stuff like this.... Yes, accuse me of being oversensitive but I just feel like this man has given us all so much. And something is terribly wrong and all we have to go on is rumors, innuendo and tabloid articles.

I truly understand their desire for privacy but if they would just issue a brief statement confirming the problem, the thoughts and prayers of fans worldwide could be focused on the situation. And I can't help but believe the results of that would more than overwhelm the negativity of media speculation.

Peace,

PopDaisy

To all who asked, Blue are a boyband.

Also, yes, it seems odd he mentioned Edge three times.

P'tit Praince said:
Bono said :

"Merci! Merci! Merci! Thank You, thanks very much, thank you! Well... well...
Je ne suis pas un enfant du pays! Mais je vais vous faire une petite confidence : sur la côte, je me sens chez moi. Quand j'ai un peu de liberté, je viens ici pour en avoir encore plus. Le matin, je descends de ma maison pour nager dans le grand bleu. C'est très sain. Mais le soir, les dangers arrivent : les boîtes, les jolies filles, Naomi Campbell, les grands vins, c'est dur, c'est vraiment dur, mais vous voyez : j'ai survécu.
Merci pour la vie incroyable que vous nous avez donné avec moi Bono, Adam, Larry et ce soir en particulier The Edge... The Edge... The Edge.
Thank you NRJ.
We see you all... Paris, Stade de France, ninth of July, Nice, Parc des Sports, fifth of august. Vive la France!"

I am French so, sorry for my english

He said that much in French?? Didn't know he could actually speak French....

And don't worry - your English is just fine!!!

Back
Top Bottom