(01-12-2006) Rollins Talks Nice About Bono (Seriously) -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Rollins Talks Nice About Bono (Seriously)

Most every U2 fan has heard about it when punk rocker, poet and actor Henry Rollins disses the band so it's only fair to post when he says something nicer. In a recent web chat with readers of the Washington Post, Rollins had the following to say:

Kensington, Md.: I saw you doing a MTV video countdown years back and when you had to introduce a video from U2, you rolled your eyes in apparent sarcasm as you talked about the band. As a U2 fan, I always thought that was hilarious. Did you just never get them or their music?

Henry Rollins: While I applaud Bono's humanitarian efforts with great admiration, I think the music is for those who have lost their will to rock.

Click here to read Rollins's thoughts about the war in Iraq, freedom of speech, music on the internet and more.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion even if it is dead wrong. That's what's so great about America.

I agree with a LOT of Henry Rollins' political opinions, but he is dead wrong about U2 and their fans. He might be surprised how many fans of U2 are fans of his band's musical work and also how diversified U2 fans' musical tastes are. My musical roots are squarely rooted in punk and alternative rock and I will always consider U2 to be the ultimate Alternative rock band because that is exactly what they are.

dsmith2904 said:

Henry Rollins: While I applaud Bono's humanitarian efforts with great admiration, I think the music is for those who have lost their will to rock.

:madspit:
With all due respect, this isn't nice.. it condensending and just plain stupid.
He has such a desire to be Bono that he can't even say something nice without insulting millions of U2 fans..
He's a .. never mind .. like I said.. I could care less..

Actually, isn't this a complete turn around in opinion by Rollins about Bono's humanitarian efforts?

I remember some very vicious verbal attacks by him toward Bono.

It raises the question of either Rollins' sincere change or his possible disingenious statements.:ohmy:

Rollins is a smartass, he detests U2, and his "cleverness" is to talk about them to make selfish advertisement and nothing else.............
He's rusted, no one knows him, you hear of him only when he opens his mouth about U2, no one wants to know nothing about him, the only way for him to say something is to talk about U2. He hates them, bashes them down, but is ready to make comments over them to have is miserable piece of newspaper, he would be lost without U2.............................poor poor monkey

:tsk:

haha, "lost their will to rock?" I can only imagine what he thinks of Coldplay, and I'm a huge Coldplay fan ;)

Btw, Henry Rollins... isn't he the vegetarian? :wink:

guill said:
Who is Henry Rollins ?

Henry Rollins is the former singer of the (legendary in certain circles) 80's hardcore punk band Black Flag, and from time to time fronts a hard rock band called Rollins Band. He also does acting from time to time and also does spoken word. He's notorious for being extremely opinionated and a bit of a loud mouth. Often times he is quite funny and articulate.

And he hates U2. And that sucks. :madspit:

Wildhit said:

He's notorious for being extremely opinionated and a bit of a loud mouth. Often times he is quite funny and articulate.

I've noticed he's on all of those "I Love _____" VH1 specials as well. The perfect venue for him. :rolleyes:

His book "Get in the Van" is quite good as it's filled with journal entries of his chronicalling his career in Black Flag. He mentions U2 and Bono in the book a few times in journal entries written around 84 and 85, he said sort of nice things about the band then. I suppose as U2 got more popular Henry grew to dislike them. It seems that he probably admired their ernestness in the early 80's.

One of the mentions of Bono from the book that I can remember write now goes something like "I am not a selfless person like the singer of U2, I do not bring people together."

Catman said:

Btw, Henry Rollins... isn't he the vegetarian? :wink:

I remember when I read that line in "At The End Of The World". Classic.:D

I would also add Mr. Rollins has probably never seen U2 live. If he had he would have soiled his pants after hearing 'Streets'. I always hate it when he says The Edge plays the same riff in every song. I'd love to hear him play half of the stuff on Achtung Baby.

Last edited:
i happen to have henry rollins' e-mail address... it used to be posted online through his website... i believe he's since taken it down, but i still had it saved.

e-mailed him the other day after seeing this article... i've blackened out any information re: his e-mail addy or other personal information.

frankly he seems to be a very nice, down to earth guy... he just hates u2. :shrug: nothing wrong with that, imo. everyone's intitled to their own opinions.

henry.jpg

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i happen to have henry rollins' e-mail address... it used to be posted online through his website... i believe he's since taken it down, but i still had it saved.

e-mailed him the other day after seeing this article... i've blackened out any information re: his e-mail addy or other personal information.

frankly he seems to be a very nice, down to earth guy... he just hates u2. :shrug: nothing wrong with that, imo. everyone's intitled to their own opinions.

henry.jpg

Yeah, I could think of a lot of reasons why someone might not like U2, and I wouldn't kak on him for that. But after all these years of hating them, he should be able to come up with something better than, "The music is really silly". Excellent analysis there, Hank.

He is allowed not to like U2, as everyone is. There is no mandatory to like the music, and nobody should try to create one.
I think when he acts as a moderator of a TV show he should just be objective, as every other is, too.
But anywhere else I think everyone is allowed to say that he doesn't like someone's music. But he shouldn't say it in a way that hurts other people.

But, really, when someone doesn't like U2 or makes a comment about the music which is offending, let him. I don't care if he is well known, not so well known or totally unknown. I like U2's music, he not, but who cares?

And I also like Heat :)

Back
Top Bottom