(01-10-2008) Bono’s art initiative - DNA India*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy

ONE<br>love, blood, life
Lookin' for the face I had before the world was ma
Bono’s art initiative

By Riddhi Doshi

International vocalist Bono, UK artist Damien Hirst and Indian painter Subodh Gupta will raise funds to support the HIV/AIDS programme in South Africa

Valentine’s Day will be celebrated after a month but the biggies from the art and music fraternity across the world have already done their good deed.

Famed vocalist Bono from band U2 (Ireland) and world renowned artist Damien Hirst (UK) has planned a charity auction with Sotheby on February 14 (Valentine’s Day). The total proceeds from this will be donated to the United Nations’ foundation fund to support HIV/AIDS program in South Africa.

A hundred artists, including George Baselitz, Antony Gormley, Jeff Koons, Cecily Brown, Anish Kapoor and Richard Prince will donate their work for the same charity auction .

Interestingly, artist Subodh Gupta is the sole painter from India, who has been requested to donate his work for this charitable cause by Hirst. Subodh’s painting ‘Sunday Lunch’ is estimated to go under the hammer for approximately 9,82,186 lakhs. Subodh says, “The best part about this auction is that all the proceeds will go towards charity. None of the artists will keep anything of it.”

The auction is expected to collect around $40 million out of which Bono has already donated $ eight million. Hirst has offered eight paintings including his ‘All you need is love’ for the auction. Says Bono, “This is the best collection from the best artists in the world. The effort of the artists is considerable. The impact is immeasurable. I love art for art’s sake, but what we have here is a real moment in art history.”

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1144024

Very cool indeed. I wouldn't mind having something of Bono's or Annish Kapoor's to be honest. Mr. Hewson's ideas for raising awareness and money for charitable causes never ceases to amaze me.

Back
Top Bottom