(01-07-2005) U2 Tour Update -- Hot Press*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts are definitely with the family.

The reason I remain hopeful that the news is not as grave as people are assuming is because I work on cancer research and half of our lab actually works on blockers for pediatric leukemias, and this is not a matter that gets resolved in 3-4 weeks - it is a chronic, multifaceted illness, and I'm just not alltogether seeing at this point, what the extra month would buy them.

So I hope it is not as per the rumor. :(

Shade said:

But, why Edge's daughter, specifically? Bono has his own daughters to write songs about. And, look at a lyric like 'I kneel 'cause I want you some more'. All I'm saying is, if the rumors are true - and I'm not saying they are - it could certainly put a different light on the song, given that the song is about one of Edge's kids.

Bono is Hollie's godfather. That is why he wrote OOTS for her.

beli said:
seriously? why? lol

Its a lovely day today. Not too hot. I hope your sister knows February in Perth is hotter than hell :wink:

Sister is Irish, her hubby is from perth and she has lived in Perth for past 3 years.. she says the heat is as bad as a cold winters day in Ireland... us irish, we love the shade!

Party Boy said:
You know, I am sure this is going to come across wrong and no doubt I will get flamed but having watched 150000 people die over the last week, I find the outpouring of grief over an illness in edges family a little ott... for fs.. every family no matter what the status has to cope with some sort of illness.............. get over it

Party Boy, I understand what you're saying...and I do find myself a little confused when I realise that this news upset me (almost) as much as watching that tsunami. I know many many more people have died in Asia in the past weeks (and no one's even died here!)...and I'm sorry about your friend.:(

But then...still more people will die this year of AIDS, malaria, and a whole host of malnutrition-related diseases. What's a little natural disaster? Why should you care? Well, you care because it affected YOU, because you lost someone YOU cared about. Too many people die or fall ill everyday in this world to think about every one of them (and we're all gonna die anyway, right?). So you pray, grieve, feel upset generally when it affects you.

For most of the people on this board, this is one of their favorite bands, or is their favorite band. While they don't know them personally, they're generally going feel more attached to the members of the band than to some guy on the street. They feel like they know them...so when something like this (presumably) happens, they'll care about it and sympathize with that person more than the other millions of random people who fall ill or die everyday. Not as much as if it was someone they truly knew, friends, family, etc...and if they do then I suggest they re-examine their priorities!

I guess my point is, when it affects you, directly or indirectly, you care more. It's not maybe right...but it's human nature. And it's human nature for you not to give a shit since you are grieving for someone you really knew.

VertigoGal said:

Party Boy, I understand what you're saying...and I do find myself a little confused when I realise that this news upset me (almost) as much as watching that tsunami. I know many many more people have died in Asia in the past weeks (and no one's even died here!)...and I'm sorry about your friend.:(

But then...still more people will die this year of AIDS, malaria, and a whole host of malnutrition-related diseases. What's a little natural disaster? Why should you care? Well, you care because it affected YOU, because you lost someone YOU cared about. Too many people die or fall ill everyday in this world to think about every one of them (and we're all gonna die anyway, right?). So you pray, grieve, feel upset generally when it affects you.

For most of the people on this board, this is one of their favorite bands, or is their favorite band. While they don't know them personally, they're generally going feel more attached to the members of the band than to some guy on the street. They feel like they know them...so when something like this (presumably) happens, they'll care about it and sympathize with that person more than the other millions of random people who fall ill or die everyday. Not as much as if it was someone they truly knew, friends, family, etc...and if they do then I suggest they re-examine their priorities!

I guess my point is, when it affects you, directly or indirectly, you care more. It's not maybe right...but it's human nature. And it's human nature for you not to give a shit since you are grieving for someone you really knew.

Hey VertigoGal, many thanks for your kind words. I agree with everything you wrote and I guess in essence, I was questionning why people can be concerned so much about someone they know little or nothing about privately outside the remit of being a member of their fav. band.

I guess everything is relative and everyone personally stacks whats important to them in there own life.
I work with a guy from Malaysia and he reminded me that in 1970 (think that was the year, may have been '71) in Bangladesh, 300,000 people died in mass floods.
Twice as many as in Tsunami disaster yet it hardly registered compared to recent disater. I guess main reason was that there wasn't enough western folk involved by that disaster. Its a similar story repeated daily today, hundreds of thousands killed in Ivory coast. Guess I am going through some sort of crisis in terms of measuring up what is real and what is important to me in the whole scale of things - recent events have just highlighted the plight of those who have nothing compared to those who have something and I just thought that some of the posts in this thread were fairly inappropriate compared to what thousands of very very poor people are having to go through on a daily basis.

Anyway, lecture/speech over! Thanks for kind words!!

Party Boy said:

??? Shame on you. I lost a friend in Asia last week. You think I give a f**K about a U2 tour? No I don't. You think I give a f**k about an illness in Edges family? Am sorry to say no I don't. I come on here to chat to a few people (not you) about real life. We all got issues and family members not doing well to deal with. I just find the outpouring of sympathy slightly fales and incredulous.

Shame on me? You're the one criticizing people for extending compassion to Edge's family member, whoever it is, whatever the cause, cynically branding it 'fales (sic) and incredulous'. Shame on you, Mr. Compassion. Especially since you deemed it necessary to tell us all that you have a friend who died last week, when you simultaneously take the position that such things shouldn't matter or be talked about. Why tell us that, then? To make us feel bad, or just to make a point out of your friend's death? Why do you think we needed to know that? And, you DID commiserate about the tour being delayed, so it DOES matter to you. Read your posts before you click 'sumit reply' in the midst of another one of your hissyfits. And, before you tell us once again what a swell guy you usually are.

I know how you feel...I've been a little confused with that whole concept lately myself! In the end, I always come to one relatively simple thing: We're all gonna die. Rich, poor, rock star, farmer...no one is spared! Maybe in the west we live 10 more years on average, but what really is that in the scope of things?

So you've got one life, you gotta do what you should, right?:wink: Now I know Bono meant those words in sort of the opposite sense, but when I hear that I always think...you only have so much power, there's only so much you can do...you can't stop African tribes from warring with each other, epidemics have come and gone throughout history...help people when you can, but also you've just got to live your life, because you've only got one! I know that sounds cruel, but I guess I'm just being repetitive of what I said earlier...you care when it affects you, and there's nothin' you can do about it.

I hypothetically shouldn't care a bit about some Irish dude's daughter, but I do and it's human nature, and although I recognize the hypocrisy I can't change it.

(And rich or poor, having a child with cancer or any illness IS extremely difficult, I know you're not suggesting otherwise, of course.)

Anyway, I'm still confused too, but hey...:huh:

Guess I am going through some sort of crisis in terms of measuring up what is real and what is important to me in the whole scale of things - recent events have just highlighted the plight of those who have nothing compared to those who have something and I just thought that some of the posts in this thread were fairly inappropriate compared to what thousands of very very poor people are having to go through on a daily basis.[/B]

And then you say you're bummed about a concert delay.

Dude - if you can't feel compassion for a single human being that you don't know, how should we believe you care about 150,000 people you don't know? You can throw in all that class-division shit that you want, but when it comes down to it, you're saying we shouldn't feel compassion for individuals, and in particular, individuals who may live better than those in third world countries, because it's somehow morally wrong. You're politicizing something that shouldn't be politicized. EVERYBODY who suffers deserves a little compassion, no matter how small. The people in here saying they're sorry for whatever Edge is going through may even have gone so far as to donate money for the tsunami relief effort. You have no clue about that, because you didn't ask anybody - you simply waded and started judging peoples' comments, weighing them against your own brand of morality which seems to dictate that you not care about other people, flying into expletive-ridden rages over it when other people do. You are not merely 'going through a crisis' - you're melting down in spectacular fashion.

Last edited:
meditate.gif

I stopped reading about a page ago so I don't know if anyone said this....i'm not in the mood to read the long posts....but from what I've heard about Original of the Species was written for Hollie, Edge's oldest daughter, because she's the oldest U2 kid so she would be the first one of her kind. :shrug:

I've never heard any of his kids are sick. I would certainly hope not. His parents have got to be in their 70's so if anyone is sick I would probably assume it could be one of them. I think people really need to stop speculating because if Edge/U2 wanted us to know what's going on they'd tell us. It's a personal matter and we don't need to know every single detail of his life. If they want us to know they'll tell us.

arw9797 said:

I've never heard any of his kids are sick. I would certainly hope not. His parents have got to be in their 70's so if anyone is sick I would probably assume it could be one of them. I think people really need to stop speculating because if Edge/U2 wanted us to know what's going on they'd tell us. It's a personal matter and we don't need to know every single detail of his life. If they want us to know they'll tell us.

:applaud:

Exactly the way I feel. We, as fans, have no idea based on any sort of fact as to what the illness is, who is ill, etc. It's none of our business until if and when or the Edge and his family want U2 fans to know...and even than, it's still none of our business.

Having just gone through a serious illness with a family member, everything else can wait. Family comes first.

isabelle_guns said:
THANKS for the update, my BF thinks that they only reason that U2 are proposing is 'cause of low album sales but then again, he's one of those former fans who want to see u2 fail and want to believe that is the real reason U2 are prosponing dates.

I recommend dropping your BF for someone better.

First, sales have been astronomical! If you don't believe me, check the charts and sales forum. I have been tracking sales since AB (when SoundScan first came around) and sales for this album have outpaced this by some margin. I mean, the album's already certified as 3x Platinum in the U.S. after just 5 weeks! U2 are up there with Eminem!

Second, HTDAAB (and ATYCLB) have elements of older U2 material. If your BF didn't like the direction of the 90's work, he should like this. If he doesn't, then he's a bitter old fan who doesn't deserve any attention. For someone to be bitter about a rock group and hope they fail suggests strong personality problems. What else does he hope fails?

Lastly, too many sources now are stating an illness in Edge's family. No *serious* source has stated it is Edge's daughter - that's just speculation based on some token posts in other forums. I'm hoping it's an elderly more distant family member or a far less serious illness. After all, rumors state now that the tour will start at the end of March. If the illness is as serious as leukemia in Edge's daughter, then I'd imagine the tour would be set off indefinitely (maybe cancelled completely). Therefore, this suggests the illness is reversible or the family member is more distant.

Regardless, I think your BF needs a real adjustment in his life and a wake up call. His pessimism, denial of reality and lack of compassion are worrisome.

Last edited:
same

people always say god doesnt give ya more than you can handle.

so may god give them the emotional fortitude and the love and strength to get through this struggle

Last edited:
U2Fanatic4ever said:
:sad: :sad:

My prayers are with the family!!!!!!!!!! I really was hoping this wasn't the case.

As stated...Let's follow this recommendation!

TAKE THIS PRAYER...
January 07, 2005
posted by: m2

It's prayer time, please. Hot Press has confirmed what several Irish
newspapers reported today: that U2's tour has been delayed because a
member of Edge's family is ill. Out of respect for all involved, let's
leave it at that and keep Edge and his family in our thoughts and
prayers. The tour can wait....

I agree totally!

My prayers are with Edge and the entire Evans clan. I hope whomever is ill will have a recovery and will be back in health.

As for the tour, we've waited, we can wait some more. If it's put off indefinitely, then that's what happens.

Obviously their family should be the first priority. And I'm really sick of reading posts by people who say "Bono performed the night his dad died, the show goes on." Just because *Bono* did it, does mean anyone else will or should even have to. They are four different members who do things differently. It's just really insensitive to say those things.

As far as OOTS goes, Bono did write it for Hollie, in part. She is his goddaughter. But also, if any of you watched that segment with Bono on 60 minutes a few years ago, he said he wrote a new song for *his* daughters and one of the lines made it into OOTS. So I think while the song might be dedicated to Hollie and mainy for her, it's also a song for his kids and Edge's, Larry's.

I have just read this thread and my prayers are with Edge and his family. If it were me, I could never go on tour and would not be able to give a great show and that family comes first. It would be sad if U2 were not able to tour but things happen. God Bless the Evans family.

Not to pour more fuel on the fire in this "thread of unhappiness", but...

I read it as a little blip story today on page 22 or something of the New York Daily News..

but Nelson Mandela's son has just died of AIDS.

Now, just because it was AIDS, and we don't know how he caught it (and the paper didn't even give a name, shame on them! But I guess the lives of the sons of African--and world- heroes don't count?!?! Huh??) does this make this story any more "important"? No. The fact that that no other paper I've seen today has reported this makes me sick. Does a high-profile death of this sort make Bono's life cause, the ills of Africa, just as imprtant of a crisis as the tsunami? Or Edge's daughter?

I know about the Bangladesh cyclone. It was the inspiration for the concept of the benenfit show, Bob Dylan's "Concert for Bangladesh." in 1972.I also read at length about it in Dominique LaPierre's non-fiction classic "the City of Joy." You are right in a sense about the West being chronically indifferent to non-Western disasters or poverty, etc. Though I think that the sheer geographical scale of the disaster--10 countries on diff continents?--made this one a "bigger" story. I think in this case it would have gotten the attention it did even if Thailand hadn't been affected.

Party Boy, everybody, I don't know what to feel. This has just been such an incredibly crappy New Year so far. I can only hope we have plumbed the absolute low of collective human misery and there is nowhere to go but up from here, because I don't know how much worse it can get. I am a born-again Christian and do indeed pray, and I like to try and remain a cockeyed optimist, but sometimes it is hard. And poart of me feels that God is pulling a Job act right now and allowed Satan to test us, big time. (Read the opening chapter of the Book of Job if yu don't know what I mean.)

I guess the people who reply in this thread are ones who have experienced profound loss in some personal way and can identify with any victim or potential victim, of illness, disaster, etc. For me, it was my grandmother. For Party Boy it's his friend. ( PB--Give me a first name and the place were they were last seen..a town...just so I can add him/her/them to my prayer chain list for church tomorrow. IN addition to the tsunami victims and Christine, the high school girl I talked about, and Edge's kid, I may as well throw one in for your loss too. And there is a website you can refer to..www.p-h-u-k-e-t.com-to begin a search or get more info. )

I don't like dwelling on sad stuff. But like I said, you have to experience it personally to understand the full impact of this. I'm sure all feel sympathetic, but I don't want to be portrayed as "obsessed."

Being treated for cancer is not one month and you're out. My grandma went through almost 4 months of chemo hell (she had colon cancer) and they caught it in time. I can only hope it is treatment stage and not the terminal stage where there is little hope left.

In any case..it is going to be one strange tour, whenever it begins. We didn't know about Bono flying back and forth to Bob's bedside during the European leg last time; we found out about it after the fact. And it was his elderly parent. This will be different. Even if we never ve concrete confirmation, it will be an open secret. We'll all "know." And it is going to be strange going to a show and having a good time--even a great time, this is such a "live" CD--but the media circus surrounding this poor guy is going to be huge. It could change the whole tone of the tour. And having met Edge in Boston last time around, I will certainly try again now. (Four Seasons Hotel.) It was funny--he just walked out and didn't say a word. HE must have wanted to meet the fans; but he didn't talk. I asked for a pic. He is normally a quiet guy anyway. ....It will certainly change OOTS--even if it isn't Holly who is stricken. That song was a tear jerker to begin with...I know I'll burst inot tears if they stilkl decide to play it? I hope this won'y stop them from playing it...

Sorry. Just RAMBLING THOUGHTS. I guess "One" really does have the best advice for right now.

Last edited:
:sad:

Edge and his family are in my prayers... mega in my prayers...

OH EDGE AND FAMILY! :hug::hug::hug:

I don't care about the tour! I hope everything ends happy! He can postpone it however long it needs to be postponed!

There's been some bickering and odd tangents in this thread so I am going to close it down. There are other threads in the News forum and other areas of this site to discuss the postponement.

To the majority of people who posted in this thread, I am sure your well-wishes are appreciated by the Evans family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom