(01-05-2005) U2 Postpone World Tour - Rolling Stone*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Postpone World Tour

Family illness pushes back "Bomb" trek

U2 have postponed their much-anticipated tour behind How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, originally scheduled to kick off March 1st in Miami. "All of the plans are in total flux," a source close to the band told Rolling Stone, citing a family illness as the reason for the change. Tour dates were to be announced and go on sale this month, but those plans have been delayed.

The band, which is nominated for three Grammys for the single "Vertigo," still intends to play the February 13th awards ceremony in Los Angeles and to attend its induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on March 14th in New York. However, a new timeline for the tour has not been set.

According to longtime tour designer Willie Williams, the tour's stage and video screens are in the process of being built. "We are developing some new technologies to deliver visual content," he told Rolling Stone.

U2's last world tour, in support of All That You Can't Leave Behind, made them the top-grossing act of 2001.

--BRIAN HIATT

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6806934/u2?pageid=rs.NewsArchive&pageregion=mainRegion

This makes me really nervous...they played most of Elevation with Bono's dad dying. Naturally I'm a little disappointed with the delay but I'd rather know everyone is okay. :(

Well, at least they can do this since the tour hasn't started yet. Imagine if something like this happened in the middle of the tour. That would suck for us and U2! :(

apparently opening night has been moved from March 1st in Miami to March 28th in Los Angeles

:uhoh:

Didn't this happen last year at the Golden Globes when Bono didn't go to them because of a family illness? Remember, its was when Andrea Corr and Gavin Friday were up for an award?

I hope its nothing too serious!

Last edited:
My prayers and thoughts are with them.

It is better that they've been able to make a decision now, before the tour started.

I posted this on another thread here and I'll post it again.

Folks, this is looking suspicious.

- "A source close to the band"? They've fed us PLENTY of crap before.
- Rolling Stone? They haven't been accurate U2 reporters in the past.
- RS say U2 are performing at the Grammy's. Well, I was pretty sure they weren't. They aren't nominated for anything major ... or anything that will even be televised!
- All March dates postponed until the autumn leg? Not likely! March happens to include New York and Boston, two markets U2 would never skip.

Don't believe what you hear or see just yet.

Axver said:

- RS say U2 are performing at the Grammy's. Well, I was pretty sure they weren't. They aren't nominated for anything major ... or anything that will even be televised!
- All March dates postponed until the autumn leg? Not likely! March happens to include New York and Boston, two markets U2 would never skip.

There's been buzz going around some fan circles (although not here) for a couple of days about a mass rescheduling of dates. This doesn't mean U2 is skipping Boston or NYC in the Spring, word is that NYC will be in May (probably around when LA was originally supposed to be!).

Pop Artist said:

There's been buzz going around some fan circles (although not here) for a couple of days about a mass rescheduling of dates. This doesn't mean U2 is skipping Boston or NYC in the Spring, word is that NYC will be in May (probably around when LA was originally supposed to be!).

There was a story on the other thread that all March dates were being skipped, hence that comment. Sorry, should have provided context.

Never heard the rumours of a mass rescheduling, though.

This still seems completely suspicious.

Axver said:

There is definitely truth in what you wrote.

The three Grammy noms U2 received are great. However, this really looks like Green Day's year, and I'm sure Green Day will sweep all rock categories. Hence, U2 has a bit less motivation to perform. But the big reason for U2 not performing is that the three awards U2 are nominated for are NOT televised. So even if U2 were to win one, U2 have no need to perform for an award show where they get their award off-camera.

The only reason I see for U2 performing is to give HTDAAB a bit more exposure - which is perfect timing before the start of the tour. But given the success of the album to date and given how well the Elevation tour did, U2 hardly need to do this performance.

So the Grammy talk, while nice, seems doubtful.

Then there's the weak mysterious source and the total lack of information. Given all the info. we received about Bono's father and Edge's divorce, one would think this source would just say "this person is ill" and that's that. Why be cryptic now after being SO open before?

My guess is that if there's a delay, it's just that U2 aren't quite ready to play yet. It's already the 5th of January. Maybe they are still working out what they want the stage design to even be. Maybe they need more time to practice. Maybe set designs will take longer to build. Their world tour starts in less than 2 months and I'm sure a few extra weeks would be nice.

While someone may indeed be ill, given that U2 played while Bono's father was dying, and given that an illness can never be truly estimated (i.e., how can they cancel the tour for the 1st but know that everyone will be healthy later in the month? :scratch: ), I too am doubting this reason.

I have no problem with a tour delay. It is what it is. March 1st... April 1st... it's all good. And if someone is ill, I truly wish them a most speedy recovery. But I just have some difficulty believing this info. as it stands.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

While someone may indeed be ill, given that U2 played while Bono's father was dying, and given that an illness can never be truly estimated (i.e., how can they cancel the tour for the 1st but know that everyone will be healthy later in the month? :scratch: ), I too am doubting this reason.
:yes:

I am sure that what Rolling Stone reports is the truth because none of us have been informed about presale options yet and the dates would have been annouced probably this week if the tour was to be going ahead as scedualed.

Doesnt look at all to me suspicious.

atu2 is saying announcement will probably be the 24th or so, March dates moved to Oct, Nov

I was hoping for Charlotte and Atlanta in March, hopefully we'll get them both in Oct. + the new arena in Charlotte is opening up in Nov so maybe they'll play there, that would be unbelievable!

Axver said:

Yeah, well you basically crap all over just about everything until it's rubbed in your face and you are forced to admit it is the truth. In other words, who gives a crap what you think? You have zero credibility.

The fact that I am reading comments here about people believing this is part of hype and publicity for the tour makes me feel queasy.....U2 are people first, the band and whatever encompasses it is all secondary....

My prayers go out to the U2 family and to whomever is ill.

I had planned on attending Miami's shows but am able to relocate as needed - because the chances of u2 hitting STL on the first leg are next to zero
I hope everything turns out okay - thoughts and prayers to whomever is ill and to u2 - it must be pretty serious for them to postpone

Back
Top Bottom