(01-03-2005) U2 and Robbie Quake Concert - Daily Record*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 AND ROBBIE QUAKE CONCERT

By John Mceachran

A MASSIVE Live Aid-style concert for victims of the Asian tsunami is being planned.

Among the stars being approached to play at the 65,000 capacity Millennium Stadium in Cardiff are U2, Coldplay and Robbie Williams.

News of the concert came as ex-Radio 1 DJ Mike Read unveiled plans for a charity single, featuring Cliff Richard, Boy George and Ronan Keating.

It's hoped millions of pounds will be raised for aid to countries stricken by the Boxing Day disaster.

The move has been welcomed by the Disasters Emergency Committee, who are co-ordinating the British relief effort.

The two-day Cardiff concert aims to raise more than £1million.

Stadium general manager Paul Sergeant 'We hope to sell between 60,000 and 65,000 tickets. But time is going to be very tight.'

He hopes to announce the line-up tomorrow and start selling tickets on Friday for the gig over the weekend of January 22and 23.

Mr Sergeant added: 'As soon as the enormity of the disaster was known, we opened discussions with a number of musical agents to see if it would be possible to get a money-spinning event up and running.

'If we can get everything together this month then people will get the chance to make a major contribution to helping the people whose lives have been so devastated.'

Mike Read approached the Disasters Emergency Committee within hours of the tragedy.

He said: 'I was totally shocked at the enormity and suddenness of the disaster and I was in tears at seeing orphaned kids wandering aimlessly in search of their parents.'

Sir Cliff will record his part for the track Grief Never Grows Old in Barbados, while Boy George, who sang on the original Band Aid record, will do his bit in New York.

Others on the record included Bee Gees Barry and Robin Gibb and ex-Spandau Ballet singer Tony Hadley.

A spokesman for the Disasters Emergency Committee said: 'This will help us to give relief and rebuild lives devastated by the tsunami.'

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/t...ne=u2-and-robbie-quake-concert-name_page.html

iT'S NICE, OF COURSE... But I'm scared by the number of emercencies we have to face...

there is a running thread about this possibe concert in EYKIW.

I agree with lady luck.

Back
Top Bottom