U2 Rattle and Hum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silvermarlin

Babyface
Hello Everyone, Great messageboard,
At present, I am completing my degree in Commercial Music. For my dissertation (essay, I am completing a study of U2's Rattle and Hum.
A study of the sociological key issues that influenced the marketing campaign of the movie/album.
I'm looking for different peoples opinions about Rattle and Hum like: Was the movie a marketing gimmick so that the band could crack America? or do you think U2 could have went in a different musical direction than the music featured on the album and so on.
Any feedback would be great.
Cheers,
Pat from Scotland.

Hi and welcome Pat! :wave:

I don't think it was a gimmick so that U2 could crack America. They'd already been gaining popularity up until JT, and once JT came out, they were an undeniable hit.

Bonochick said:
I don't think it was a gimmick so that U2 could crack America. They'd already been gaining popularity up until JT, and once JT came out, they were an undeniable hit. [/B]

I totally agree with Bonochick. Even if they had not made the movie, U2 will still be as popular due to the sucess of the JT album.
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :wave:

Re:Rattle and Hum

Hello,

Thanks for your opinions - excellent. But don't you think that U2 could have wrote a different album other than Rattle and Hum (with its American influences) and produced an album that progressed from the Joshua Tree sound? What do you think?

I'm also studying the cultural aspects of the movie - any thoughts would be great.

Thanks again,
Pat.

Re: Re:Rattle and Hum

silvermarlin said:
But don't you think that U2 could have wrote a different album other than Rattle and Hum (with its American influences) and produced an album that progressed from the Joshua Tree sound? What do you think?

no, that would be boring. we'd have two joshua trees, and no one would be happy with that. and didn't more people get annoyed with the band for the whole american roots thing, rather than it helped them become more popular?

yikes, i forgot to say hi

:wave:

Re: Rattle and Hum

Hi, thanks for your thoughts,
I didn't mean producing an album that was exactly the same, a progression of their sound might have been better - not an album that had a lot of American influenced music - more like tracks such as Heartland and All I Want Is You.

I understand that American influences were very much present in The Joshua Tree. I do think they they produced the Rattle and Hum because they were very much into the music at the time and wanted to experiment with it but I do think it was over the top in the way they portrayed themselves during the movie and album.

Please keep all your opinions coming everyone,

Thanks again,
Pat.

hi silvermarlin :wave:

didn't i see this same post in ETYKIW?

i can tell you a bit about rattle and hum. i remember that some people were a little put off by the idea of the band putting out an album consisting of songs by jimi hendrix, a duet with bob dylan, a song with b.b. king, etc. i think at the time, they had just cracked america with josh, and it seemed a bit pretentious so soon after. i mean, bono naming a song "god part II?" with it's "i don't believe in" lyrics? that is a straight rip off of john lennon's "god," and whether bono intended it as an honor or not, it still came across as wrong.

i personally never felt this way about the album, hell, i loved it. i just remember that era very well, and that was what the "fans" were saying at that time.

welcome to interference.

Thanks for the reply - I loved the album too but I kind of cringe at some parts of it now and that's coming from someone who has been a fan since I was a teenager - I've seen U2 3 times in my life - the joshua tree, pop and elevation tours. All were great gigs. I don't mean to sound as if I'm degrading U2 Rattle and Hum - just constructive criticism for an essay I'm doing at University.

Keep the opinions coming in - I'd like to hear more thoughts on Rattle and Hum.

One thing I'd like to hear from is the introduction to Helter Skelter
"This is a song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles..." and so on.
I know the story behind the history of the song, but why did Bono say "We're stealing it back" - did he think that U2 were the only band that could be worthy of playing the song again since the 60's incident in reference to the bands status in America at that time (The biggest band since the Beatles?) What do you think? I have read that he said it was an off the cuff remark - but it doesn't add up to me - I think it was carefully thought of and intended to be controversial.

Cheers,
Pat.

"we're stealin' it back," meaning an end to associating the song helter skelter with the tate-labianca murders and the manson family, perhaps? that's how i always thought of it.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your opinions.
Just a quick question:
Can anyone tell me about the various promotional campaigns that happening in America for Rattle and Hum? What did you think? Was the band overexposed in the press, media etc?
Your thoughts are welcome.
Cheers,
Pat.

silvermarlin said:
Was the band overexposed in the press, media etc?
Your thoughts are welcome.

I don't know any specifics, but I would tend to think that's true. The overexposure and bad press really didn't help. They still did Ok at the boxoffice though I think... if you really want to know, there's a forum here about the finances of U2.

Back
Top Bottom