Not Quite as Old as U2, But Close

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beene

Babyface
An introduction of sorts...

Well, let's see...where to start. I've been a U2 fan since the mid-80's, and I'll see them live for the first time in October at Madison Square Garden. I'm a music geek, this is confirmed by pretty much everybody I know. Let's just say that I have most of the movie "High Fidelity" memorized.

U2 figures heavily in my own memories, especially when dealing with music. Everybody has their own personal music history. Here's my U2 highlights

- Hearing "New Year's Day" on the local classic rock station, for some reason. Usually they played a lot of Led Zep, AC/DC, Rush, etc. They must have had a DJ who was a little more adventurous. I was hooked immediately.

- Meeting my buddy Matt who turned me on to the burgeoning alternative scene in the 80's. Matt liked U2, REM, and introduced me to punk. He gave me a cassette copy of "War."

- Buying a copy of "The Unforgettable Fire" with Matt, then watching U2's set at Live Aid on TV.

- Senior year of high school, listening to "The Joshua Tree" and becoming immediately entranced. Prior to the full album release, the local college station played advance copies of "Trip Through Your Wires" and "With or Without You." Back then I used to tape the sets off of the radio, and I took a cassette and dubbed it so that it was a continuous loop of "With or Without You."

- Working a crappy job, travelling to St. Louis and listening to "Zooropa" while driving around in the rain.

There's more, but I won't bore y'all with details. (Yes, I live in the Southern US, Richmond VA to be exact.) Besides U2, a quick list of favorites:

REM, Yo La Tengo, Wilco, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Velvet Underground, Replacements, Hüsker Dü, Matthew Sweet, Belle & Sebastian, Bob Dylan, Chameleons UK, Cactus World News, Elvis Costello, Cowboy Junkies, Luna, Johnny Cash, The Smiths, Morrissey, Hank Williams Sr., the Jayhawks, the Alarm, The Shins, Roky Erickson, Snow Patrol, Sigur Ros, Robyn Hitchcock, Tori Amos, Neutral Milk Hotel, Magnetic Fields and Love & Rockets. There's much more, but I figure that's enough for now.

And in the interest of fun, I found a link to what may be the worst ever U2 "bootleg. " (I guess I'll have to post about 14 more posts before I can give everybody the link. Sorry.)

Look forward to visiting with everybody about U2 and comparing setlists on the Vertigo tour. Can't wait until October.

Hi Beene :wave: Exciting time to join! :wink:

I love The Smiths&Tori Amos! I'm going to see her a week before i see U2! What a great month June will be for me! :yes:

Thanks. Yeah, it does seem like an exciting time to join; I'm just kind of dumbfounded why it's taken me so long.

I'd love to see Tori as well, but my fiancee and I decided that instead of getting decent tickets at both concerts, we'd splurge and get good seats for U2. I think it's the right decision, and I'll know for sure on October 11th.

Beene said:

REM, Yo La Tengo, Wilco, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Velvet Underground, Replacements, Hüsker Dü, Matthew Sweet, Belle & Sebastian, Bob Dylan, Chameleons UK, Cactus World News, Elvis Costello, Cowboy Junkies, Luna, Johnny Cash, The Smiths, Morrissey, Hank Williams Sr., the Jayhawks, the Alarm, The Shins, Roky Erickson, Snow Patrol, Sigur Ros, Robyn Hitchcock, Tori Amos, Neutral Milk Hotel, Magnetic Fields and Love & Rockets. There's much more, but I figure that's enough for now.

Anyone who can list REM, Wilco, J&MC, Replacements, Chameleons, Cactus World News, Elvis, Smiths, Alarm AND Johnny Cash is fine by me!!!!!

Welcome!

(I'm seeing REM next week Woo hoo!!!! :hyper: )

Beene said:
I'm a music geek, this is confirmed by pretty much everybody I know. Let's just say that I have most of the movie "High Fidelity" memorized.

:love:

"We're no longer called Sonic Death Monkey. We're on the verge of becoming Kathleen Turner Overdrive, but just for tonight, we are Barry Jive and His Uptown Five."

Back
Top Bottom