Will U2 ever again reach #1 on the BB Hot 100?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I've just been wondering have U2 got any chance of ever reaching Number 1 again on the Hot 100, and if so what ahs got to be done to achieve this? It would be great to see them reach #1 one more time before the end of their career (Whenever that may be). Aerosmith, achieved their only number 1 to date quite late in their career, so maybe there is still hope.

if downloads had ben included at the time of Vertigo, that would have almost definately been a #1! so i'd say the first single of their next album (3 years time:sad: ) has a fair chance at making it to #1!

I don't think it's likely. I think it's a surprise that "With or Without You" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", went to #1 back in 1987, so anything is possible.

Their style of music has rarely been "commerical" for the time period...so I doubt it's going to happen, but heaven knows they deserve the airplay.

I reckon that even if downloads had been included at the time of vertigo, it still wouldn't have made number 1. I think it would have peaked at around #7 or so and probably would have spent a good few weeks in the top 10.

but coldplay speed of sound peaked at #8 and its download sales that week were nowhere near vertigos.

It's possible "Vertigo" might have hit #1, but unfortunately, we'll never know. The song came out mere weeks too early to qualify for Billboard's new method of charting songs.

Of course, this is my biggest grievance against Billboard. They are constantly changing how they chart. That may sound like a good thing and it is - times change and so does the charting method. Decades ago, Billboard would actually track how many plays a song received on jukeboxes to help chart it! Now jukeboxes have no influence, but obviously iTunes does. So I get that. The trouble, though, is then comparing the eras. Is it fair to compare "Vertigo" to "Speed of Sound"? NO!!! Even though the two songs were released just months apart, "Speed of Sound" had the advantage of downloads added to its tally. Being the highly anticipated first single from a hot group, the downloads added up and the song charted in the top 10. The same definitely would have happened to "Vertigo", but Billboard didn't count downloads then. If one just does a quick glance at the charts, it appears that "Speed of Sound" was a far bigger hit - but was it? I would say it wasn't. I'd argue that had the same charting method been used for "Vertigo", we would have seen U2 score another top 10 hit - perhaps top 5 and maybe, just maybe, even #1!

In my mind, Billboard should break apart the eras. Every time they make a change to how they chart, that era should remain distinct from any other era. Comparing eras is always difficult, but when there are clear and obvious changes made between the eras, all the more reason to break them apart. Billboard may argue otherwise, but I'll never be convinced.

U2 get a number 1 single, unless it is a rap, they have no chance, the singles chart will never give U2 another number 1, unless some form of song to end all songs comes out.

"Vertigo" was really their only chance thanks to the advertisement.............I'm 100% positive that it would've hit #1 if downloads were being included......"Speed Of Sound" reached #8 with nowhere near as many downloads and relatively NO airplay at the time.........whereas "Vertigo" was seemingly setting download records AND getting massive radio airplay.

without any doubt, U2 have more of a chance of getting a #1 now with the inclusion of downloads than they've had since the late '80's.

Nope.

U2 are lucky enough to get a #1 album in the US...its always a battle just to get that it seems. Thats just where music is today....crappy.

If you write good music the less chance you have of getting to #1.

Only the first single, released a few months before the album, has a real chance to get #1. So we have to wait for the next album.

Hold the phone, COBL is now going for adds on Hot AC format (According to R&R). If it can get airplay anywhere near Sometimes....it may yet crack the Hot 100.

Personally, I think it could possibly get alot of airplay on Hot AC....which could lead to adds on CHR/POP.....lets hope!

It is very possible if they produce a great first single with heavy promotion as Vertigo got
with the download system, U2 could get another chance

But U2 has to write a GREAT song in order to get the chance
and we all now what U2 is capable of
So.........of course!

BUT the Hot 100 is enfected with hip hop, rap and "the featuring "
featuring, featuring im fucking tired of that featuring.....Billboard is infected with featuring

So another chance could be U2 featuring who?
Eminem, Pussycat dolls, Busta Rhymes, Ciara & Fat Man, Omarion, Ludacris, Missy Elliot, Bobby Valentino, Ciara, Fat Joe, Webbie, Ban B...........?

Its Infected! Billboard Hot 100 is infected

But U2 FEATURING Paul McCartney managed to get into the charts unlike "ABOY" and "COBL" ;)

Creeping up on Alternative, too

lov12113 said:
Hold the phone, COBL is now going for adds on Hot AC format (According to R&R). If it can get airplay anywhere near Sometimes....it may yet crack the Hot 100.

Personally, I think it could possibly get alot of airplay on Hot AC....which could lead to adds on CHR/POP.....lets hope!

Not only that, but COBL is now just outside the Top 50 on Alternative radio, which correlates closely with BB's Modern Rock Chart. From Radio & Records:

Alternative New & Active

Artist Title (Label) Plays Stations Adds

Velvet Revolver Come On, Come In (Wind-up) 234 15 0
U2 City Of Blinding Lights (Interscope) 229 19 0
Nine Inch Nails Only (Interscope) 219 19 12
Finch Bitemarks And Bloodstains (Geffen) 206 18 0
Our Lady Peace Where Are You (Columbia) 172 24 19

There is the outside chance that COBL could chart on both the Modern Rock and Hot AC formats at the same time, which would probably be enough to get the song onto the Hot 100 Airplay chart. The song needs to break out, soon, however.

BigMacPhisto said:
"Vertigo" was really their only chance thanks to the advertisement.............I'm 100% positive that it would've hit #1 if downloads were being included......"Speed Of Sound" reached #8 with nowhere near as many downloads and relatively NO airplay at the time.........whereas "Vertigo" was seemingly setting download records AND getting massive radio airplay.

This is not true. When Speed Of Sound was first released, it had the largest first week download sales ever, meaning it beat Vertigo. I don't know exact numbers, but it was widely publicized everywhere after it debuted on the Hot 100 at #8.

And in the U.S. anyway, Speed Of Sound was all over the radio when it first came out, just like Vertigo was. I think Vertigo would have made Top Ten at best. But considering that it's been eight years since U2 accomplished that, I think everyone would be ecstatic with that, especially in today's music scene.

As for whether U2 can hit #1 again, it will be difficult. Download sales will certainly help, but that only counts so much to the overall tally. If Speed Of Sound broke all previous download records, as was claimed, and only made it to #8, it would take a lot.

phanan said:

This is not true. When Speed Of Sound was first released, it had the largest first week download sales ever, meaning it beat Vertigo. I don't know exact numbers, but it was widely publicized everywhere after it debuted on the Hot 100 at #8.

And in the U.S. anyway, Speed Of Sound was all over the radio when it first came out, just like Vertigo was. I think Vertigo would have made Top Ten at best. But considering that it's been eight years since U2 accomplished that, I think everyone would be ecstatic with that, especially in today's music scene.

As for whether U2 can hit #1 again, it will be difficult. Download sales will certainly help, but that only counts so much to the overall tally. If Speed Of Sound broke all previous download records, as was claimed, and only made it to #8, it would take a lot.

No, Actually, Vertigo had more donwloads than Speed of sound, I don' t know the exact figures, anyone can post the info ?

Are you certain? I read somewhere that Vertigo had about 30,000 and Speed Of Sound had 44,000 (both numbers reflect first week sales), although to be quite honest I can't recall where I saw that and if it referred to only the U.S. or the entire world.

EDIT:

After some searching, I have found this article regarding music sales. The last paragraph is specific to Vertigo.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/10/11/biz_musicsales11.html

And then this article, from Billboard, states the 44,000 figure for Speed of Sound:

http://www.billboard.com/bb/search/article_display.jsp?schema=&vnu_content_id=1000901122

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
i actually thought vertigo was miles ahead, wasnt there 1/4 of a million downloads one week?

vertigo was also #1 in the US downloads for 4 weeks, i dunno how long coldplay were, im guessing 1 week.

ybird3k said:
i actually thought vertigo was miles ahead, wasnt there 1/4 of a million downloads one week?

vertigo was also #1 in the US downloads for 4 weeks, i dunno how long coldplay were, im guessing 1 week.

The article says it would enter at 2 - mif it did what was No 1 and how many did it sell ? I do know vertigo earned a gold or platinum award for the number of downloads.

Mike

ybird3k said:

I thought so too, until I started reading how Speed Of Sound had broken all kinds of digital download records. Then I wasn't so sure.

Right so, here are the correct facts:

Vertigo #1 for 4 Weeks - Certified 2xPlatinum
Entered at #1

SOS #2 - Not certified as yet

mikeuk said:

The article says it would enter at 2 - mif it did what was No 1 and how many did it sell ?

Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl was #1, and it has already been certified platinum in such a short time, so I can see why Speed Of Sound only made it to #2.

Vertigo is certified 2x platinum by the RIAA, yet Speed Of Sound does not have any certification as of yet.

Obviously, Vertigo clearly has sold more than Speed Of Sound, which is to be expected since it has been out longer. It's also a sure bet that Vertigo had very good longevity whereas Speed Of Sound seems to have fallen off very quickly, so there's no denying which song will sell more in the end.

But I'm still unsure about that first week.

Last edited:
2 Weeks ago SOS had sold 281,780 downloads. I reckon its now at about 300,000. Vertigo has been certified 2xPlatinum so its over 400,000 by now. So there isn't much in it.

Im pretty sure SOS only pearked at #2 but cant be 1005 sure.

phanan said:

I thought so too, until I started reading how Speed Of Sound had broken all kinds of digital download records. Then I wasn't so sure.

Apparently this must be a statement I misread or was reported wrong. How could Speed Of Sound have broken any download records when it only was #2?

Perhaps they were referring to a rock band.

Aren´t U2 a rock band too?

phanan said:

Apparently this must be a statement I misread or was reported wrong. How could Speed Of Sound have broken any download records when it only was #2?

Perhaps they were referring to a rock band.

Back
Top Bottom