will U2:18 make UK/USA #1?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ybird3k

War Child
just wondering what every1's thoughts are on whether 'U2:18 singles', will get to #1 on the charts, and also 1st week sales predictions?

there's some serious competion on Nov 21... it's the biggest release date of the year in terms of taking advantage of christmas sales. I'm betting on a top 3, but not #1.

Re: my earlier post: For the record, in my opinion U2 can do whatever they want to do. They've earned the right to put out 100 greatest hits albums at this stage, for all I care. I'll probably buy it for the Milan DVD.

Which other albums are coming out that day? I know there's the Oasis greatest hits album, right?

Number 3 in UK
Number 1 or 2 in USA

In the UK there is like 5 major arists releasing a album on the 20th.

USA will see increased sales for other artists. A U2 compilation just won't garner that much interest. It'll sell a strong amount that could be enough for #1 at other points in the year, but certainly not for the holiday season.

In the UK, it'll get slaughtered by the Oasis compilation.

vaz02 said:
Number 3 in UK
Number 1 or 2 in USA

In the UK there is like 5 major arists releasing a album on the 20th.

I think it'll open in the Top 5 in the UK and somewhere in the Top 10 in the US.

I never know with the US market.

I think it's got a better chance at #1 in the UK than the US. The UK's simply a better market for U2.

However, I agree with what LMP says - top 5 in the UK, top 10 in the US. There's too much other stuff coming out for a compilation to hit #1. A real album would have a much better chance.

its got no chance of No 1 in the UK as Oasis are releasing their greatest hits and its their first greatest hits package so i expect Oasis to out sell U2 by 2:1

Oasis will crush U2 in this, especially since they appeal to a (relatively) similar group.

I wonder whether U2 care more about having the #1 or the total sales figures? The answer seems obvious, but #1 albums remain extremely rare and they will surely be looking to rise up the "most #1 albums list"

thelaj said:
Oasis will crush U2 in this, especially since they appeal to a (relatively) similar group.

I wonder whether U2 care more about having the #1 or the total sales figures? The answer seems obvious, but #1 albums remain extremely rare and they will surely be looking to rise up the "most #1 albums list"

The only thing Oasis have going for them is that U2 already have two best of's out there already. Still, its unlikely Oasis will be able to beat the new U2 release anywhere except their tiny part of the world, the United Kingdom.

Axver said:
I think it's got a better chance at #1 in the UK than the US. The UK's simply a better market for U2.

However, I agree with what LMP says - top 5 in the UK, top 10 in the US. There's too much other stuff coming out for a compilation to hit #1. A real album would have a much better chance.

I agree with this completely. I would be shocked if it went top 3 in the US. But I would be more than happy to eat those words.

The u2 release will sell okay across the world, therefore likely to be number 1 on the global chart- sales around 1m first week

Mike

Agreed that Jay Z will take America and Oasis will take UK, but they should chart in the top 5 in both markets. They'll probably have some staying power too as a holiday gift.

Back
Top Bottom