Which Tour Sold More Ticktes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many tickets sold the Guns 'n Roses' Use Your Illusion Tour?

*only has U2 chart/tour/sales info*

We know ZOO TV did around 5.4 million in ticket sales from 157 shows. I'm not sure precisely how the "Use Your Illusion Tour" did and how many shows their were. I do know that in North America, that tour was almost entirely in Arena's where ZOO TV had a small Arena tour in North America followed by a larger Stadium tour. I do not consider Guns N' Roses co-headlining tour with Metallica to be apart of the "Use Your Illusion Tour". That tour was in Stadiums and had the ticket price for a single band of around 25 dollars. Even then, many of the Stadium shows failed to sellout and the show in Denver was almost cancelled.

In North America Guns N' Roses was more of an Arena act than a stadium act. Outside North America, Guns N' Roses did play many of the largest stadiums around the world. I only have a couple of stats which show they played to 31,000 people in Stockholm which of course was not a sellout and less than what ZOO TV attracted. The same with Oslo which only had 29,000 in attendence at the Stadium there.

Unfortunately though, more statistics from the shows are needed before a real comparison can be made. While U2 could play Stadiums anywhere on ZOO TV, "Use Your Illusion Tour" was primarily restricted to Arena's in America, but was able to play stadiums more often outside North America.

The number of shows played will also have a big effect on total attendence. ZOO TV could have done more than 157 shows, but that is all U2 decided to do at the time.

STING2 said:
We know ZOO TV did around 5.4 million in ticket sales from 157 shows. I'm not sure precisely how the "Use Your Illusion Tour" did and how many shows their were.

The Use Your Illusion tour sold over 7 million tickets and Guns 'N Roses performed 192 shows in 27 countries from 1991-1993.

Originally posted by STING2 I do know that in North America, that tour was almost entirely in Arena's

Yes, but they played mutiple nights in arenas & amphitheaters and equaled or bettered U2's drawing power in these cities:

Minneapolis, MN - Target Center (32,000...2 shows)
Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area) - Compton Terrace (2 shows...46,000)
Tokyo, Japan - Tokyo Dome (3 shows in early 1992 and 3 shows in early 1993 to a total capacity of around 250,000)
Maryland Heights, MO (St. Louis area) - Riverport Amphitheater (2 shows...40,000)
Tacoma, WA (Seattle area) - Tacoma Dome (2 shows...35,000)
Miami, FL - Joe Robbie Stadium (40,000)
Dallas, TX - Starplex Amphitheater (2 shows... 40,000)
Toronto, ON - CNE Grandstand (2 shows...100,000)
Noblesville, IN (Indianapolis area) - Deer Creek Music Theater (2 shows...50,000)
Mountain View, CA (San Francisco area) - Shoreline Amphitheater (40,000)
Toldeo, OH - Speedway (30,000)
Dayton, OH - Erwin J. Nutter Center (2 shows... 25,000)
Cleveland, OH - Richfield Coliseum (2 shows... 30,000)
Houston, TX - The Summit (2 shows.. 25,000)

Most of these shows sold out and most of the figures are in reference to the total capacities of the shows.

...so as you can see, G N'R weren't just a arena sized draw in North America during this tour...

Originally posted by STING2 I do not consider Guns N' Roses co-headlining tour with Metallica to be apart of the "Use Your Illusion Tour". That tour was in Stadiums and had the ticket price for a single band of around 25 dollars. Even then, many of the Stadium shows failed to sellout and the show in Denver was almost cancelled.

The reason why most of the stadiums didn't sellout was because Metallica and GN'R had already played their own North American tours right before this joint tour. This double bll btw averaged 33,000 tickets per show.

Originally posted by STING2 The number of shows played will also have a big effect on total attendence. ZOO TV could have done more than 157 shows, but that is all U2 decided to do at the time.

I disagree. U2 saturated just about every concert market in the world on the Zoo TV tour.

NoControl said:

The Use Your Illusion tour sold over 7 million tickets and Guns 'N Roses performed 192 shows in 27 countries from 1991-1993.

Yes, but they played mutiple nights in arenas & amphitheaters and equaled or bettered U2's drawing power in these cities:

Minneapolis, MN - Target Center (32,000...2 shows)
Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area) - Compton Terrace (2 shows...46,000)
Tokyo, Japan - Tokyo Dome (3 shows in early 1992 and 3 shows in early 1993 to a total capacity of around 250,000)
Maryland Heights, MO (St. Louis area) - Riverport Amphitheater (2 shows...40,000)
Tacoma, WA (Seattle area) - Tacoma Dome (2 shows...35,000)
Miami, FL - Joe Robbie Stadium (40,000)
Dallas, TX - Starplex Amphitheater (2 shows... 40,000)
Toronto, ON - CNE Grandstand (2 shows...100,000)
Noblesville, IN (Indianapolis area) - Deer Creek Music Theater (2 shows...50,000)
Mountain View, CA (San Francisco area) - Shoreline Amphitheater (40,000)
Toldeo, OH - Speedway (30,000)
Dayton, OH - Erwin J. Nutter Center (2 shows... 25,000)
Cleveland, OH - Richfield Coliseum (2 shows... 30,000)
Houston, TX - The Summit (2 shows.. 25,000)

Most of these shows sold out and most of the figures are in reference to the total capacities of the shows.

...so as you can see, G N'R weren't just a arena sized draw in North America during this tour...

The reason why most of the stadiums didn't sellout was because Metallica and GN'R had already played their own North American tours right before this joint tour. This double bll btw averaged 33,000 tickets per show.

I disagree. U2 saturated just about every concert market in the world on the Zoo TV tour.

1. Playing multiple nights in Arena's is easier than playing a single stadium show because there are many fans that go to both shows. So selling 32,000 tickets for two shows does not mean one will sell 32,000 tickets for one stadium show, unless the two arena shows were fast sellouts that left a lot of demand untapped.

2. You've only provided estimated capacities of arena and venues listed above that GNR played. In order to make a real comparision, one most look at the actual statistics as reported by Amusement Business. In any event, based on the numbers you reported above, I can I ready see several cities where GNR did not based on the above equal or surpass U2's drawing power in the above cities.

Minneapolis- While it is true U2 only played on arena show there on ZOO TV, they played to a full house with 18,256 tickets sold. If the figures you reported for GNR are in fact correct, they played two shows of 16,000 which means they did not bother to try and sell seats behind the stage which is always difficult unless there is very strong demand. At best you might be able to make a case that they equaled U2 in demand in Minneapolis, but probably not.

Phoenix area- you provided 46,000 as the result of two GNR shows here, U2's total from one arena show at SU Assembly Center 13,302 and the Show at Sun Devil Stadium 35,177 is a combined 48,479, which is above the total you provided if it is correct.

Tokyo Japan- Its easier to play 6 shows at a place like the Tokyo Dome when they are divided into sets of 3 a year or more apart. In any event, I would say this is probably a city where GNR does draw more. Most Heavy Metal bands do very well in Tokyo, so its not a surprise.

St. Louis Area- You give a 40,000 for two shows. U2 played one show at Busch Memorial Stadium to 48,054 people.

Tacoma WA- you give figures of 35,000 for two GNR shows here. U2's figures for 2 shows here was 43,977!

Miami FL- one of the few Stadiums GNR played in the United States and I actually have the exact stats from Billboard reprinted from Amusement Business on this show and it was 39,000 plus a few hundred. I put it up if and when I find it. U2 played a Miami Arena show to 15,000 and a Joe Robbie Stadium show to 45,244 which is a combined 60,244 for Miami!

Dallas TX - you reported a combined 40,000 for two GNR shows here. U2 played a Reunion Arena show to 17,999 people and a Texas Stadium show to 39,154 people. Thats a combined 57,153!

Toronto- You give figures of 100,000 for two GNR shows. U2 played Maple Leaf Gardens to 16,015 people and two shows at the Canadian National Exhibition Stadium to a combined 108,043 people. U2's Toronto total is 124,058!

Indianapolis- U2 did not play here on ZOO TV, but did play a Stadium show there on the Joshua Tree. But, I do not believe it is one of U2's stronger markets so, I'd give GNR the edge here.

San Francisco Area- You gave a figure of 40,000 but did not specify if it was one or two shows. I assume it was two since it was at the Shoreline Amphitheater. U2 played to 14,431 at the Oakland Coliseum and 59,800 people at the Oakland Stadium. That is a combined 74,231 for the San Francisco area!

Toledo Ohio- you give a 30,000 figure for GNR. U2 did not play here.

Dayton Ohio- you give a 25,000 figure for GNR from two shows. U2 did not play here.

Cleveland Ohio- you give a figure of 30,000 for two shows. U2 played one show at Richfield Coliseum to 18,083 people.

Houston Tex- you give a figure for GNR from two shows of 25,000, a very small figure for the Summit I might add. U2 played one show at the Summit to 16,342 people and one show at the Astrodome to 31,884 people. Thats a combined 48,226 for U2!

My figures for the U2 shows come from Amusement Business which does the accounting and reporting for all concerts for the industry and has been doing this since 1977. Pollstar and Billboard often report and print the figures. From 1977 to 1994, Billboard only reported and printed the North American figures from Amusment Business. Starting in 1995 though, Billboard began printing International results as well.

Of the 14 cities you claimed that GNR equaled or bettered U2's drawing power in, in 8 of the cities, that is factually incorrect. Only in 6 of the cities can the claim even be given consideration. The only one where GNR was clearly ahead was in fact Tokyo.

It is a true that GNR played a 192 shows in 27 countries, but I have yet to see concert totals that would indeed add up to 7 million for the entire tour. Not saying that is not the case, but with so many shows played in the USA at the arena level, its difficult to see how they could arrive at a 192 show total with 7 million in attendence since that would mean a tour average of 36,458. Most Arena-Amphitheater tours in the USA will average anywhere from 16,000 to 18,000 if every show is sold out. The international part of the tour would of had to of averaged 55,000 per night or even higher to meet the total. Not impossible though, but definitely not what one would expect. Also, its not right to include the totals of the Metallica/GNR Faith No More tour in the 7,000,000 figure because potentialy half or more of the people there were only there because of Metallica, or because they thought seeing 3 bands for the price of 27 dollars was good deal. At best only 50% of the attendence of that tour should be included in GNR's total figures.

All the statistics point to the fact that GNR was primarily an Arena sized act in the United States. They had plenty of opportunities to play Stadium shows and they elected not to, despite doing it in many overseas markets.

The fact they played an Arena tour prior to doing the double Bill with Metallica is not really an excuse since U2 also did an Arena tour prior to their outdoor Stadium tour. U2 also charged more per ticket even though they were essentially the only act people came to see.

There were many area's that U2 could have played more Stadium shows in around the World on ZOO TV. U2 did not go to South America, but did on the next tour and had some of the largest ever recorded attendence figures for Brazil, Argentina, and Chile. There were other untapped markets for U2 in Eastern Europe, Israel, South Africa and other places. U2 had huge success in these places on the next tour. So indeed, the entire world was not saturated.

U2 could have easily come back to the United States in 1993 and done a lengthy Arena/Stadium tour prior to their European Stadium tour and after it in 1993. The fact is, the longer one extends a tour over the years, the easier it is to return to places that had been played 12 months or 24 months earlier and repeat or come close to repeating the same business.

So lengthy 3 year tours are not necessarily the best guage of demand in all area's. An indicator indeed, but one that has to be looked at carefully. The best indicator obviously is how well you can do in a single city over a stringe of several nights in the same time frame, usually no more than a week. Stadiums will be able to truely show the level of demand, and there may only be enough demand to play one night. The numbers with arena's can often hide what the true demand is, because the total number of tickets sold on any given night is so much lower and diehards who go multiple nights scoop up a much higher percentage of all the tickets. The size of stadiums prevents this from happening and one will have to have strong appeal among casual fans and Joe Public in order to do well.

STING2 said:
1. Playing multiple nights in Arena's is easier than playing a single stadium show because there are many fans that go to both shows. So selling 32,000 tickets for two shows does not mean one will sell 32,000 tickets for one stadium show, unless the two arena shows were fast sellouts that left a lot of demand untapped.

I know that. But with the 5-10% returning to the second show, it would still be over 30,000.

Originally posted by STING2 2. You've only provided estimated capacities of arena and venues listed above that GNR played. In order to make a real comparision, one most look at the actual statistics as reported by Amusement Business. In any event, based on the numbers you reported above, I can I ready see several cities where GNR did not based on the above equal or surpass U2's drawing power in the above cities.

Well, since they sold 7 million tickets on this tour, it's pretty obvious that they sold out most of the shows and equaled U2 drawing power in many markets.

Originally posted by STING2 Minneapolis- While it is true U2 only played on arena show there on ZOO TV, they played to a full house with 18,256 tickets sold. If the figures you reported for GNR are in fact correct, they played two shows of 16,000 which means they did not bother to try and sell seats behind the stage which is always difficult unless there is very strong demand. At best you might be able to make a case that they equaled U2 in demand in Minneapolis, but probably not.

Huh? GNR has sold more tickets in Minneapolis then U2 ever has. And they didn't put tickets on sale in a 360 configuration because their stage set (like 95% of other arena drawing acts) had a back to it, hence if they sold behind the stage, fans wouldn't be able to see the show.

Originally posted by STING2 Phoenix area- you provided 46,000 as the result of two GNR shows here, U2's total from one arena show at SU Assembly Center 13,302 and the Show at Sun Devil Stadium 35,177 is a combined 48,479, which is above the total you provided if it is correct.

But since the Sun Devil Stadum show was return engagement eight months later, only 2/3 of the 13,303 would've returned, roughly, that's how it works. So the amount of U2 fans who saw them there were closer to 43-44,000.

Originally posted by STING2St. Louis Area- You give a 40,000 for two shows. U2 played one show at Busch Memorial Stadium to 48,054 people.

It wasn't that much more.

Originally posted by STING2 Tacoma WA- you give figures of 35,000 for two GNR shows here. U2's figures for 2 shows here was 43,977!

Yes but there was a show scheduled show for the Memorial Coliseum (10,000) in Portland, OR which was cancelled in favour of the second Tacoma show. It's safe to say that the 10,000 fans (or more) who would've seen the show there made there way up to Tacoma, close by.

Originally posted by STING2Miami FL- one of the few Stadiums GNR played in the United States and I actually have the exact stats from Billboard reprinted from Amusement Business on this show and it was 39,000 plus a few hundred. I put it up if and when I find it. U2 played a Miami Arena show to 15,000 and a Joe Robbie Stadium show to 45,244 which is a combined 60,244 for Miami!

You'd have to minus 2/3 of Miami Arena's 15,000 because of the return engagement (for reasons I've explained above) factor to Joe Robbie. So it would really be around 50,000 who saw them in Miami this tour. Again, not that much more than GNR.

Originally posted by STING2 Dallas TX - you reported a combined 40,000 for two GNR shows here. U2 played a Reunion Arena show to 17,999 people and a Texas Stadium show to 39,154 people. Thats a combined 57,153!

Nope, that's a total of around 49,000 who saw U2, with the return engagement factor.

Originally posted by STING2 Toronto- You give figures of 100,000 for two GNR shows. U2 played Maple Leaf Gardens to 16,015 people and two shows at the Canadian National Exhibition Stadium to a combined 108,043 people. U2's Toronto total is 124,058!

Nope, it's a total of around 116,000, with the return engagment factor.

Originally posted by STING2 Toledo Ohio- you give a 30,000 figure for GNR. U2 did not play here.

Dayton Ohio- you give a 25,000 figure for GNR from two shows. U2 did not play here.

And why do you think U2 hasn't played these markets? Because they wouldn't be able to draw that well there.

Originally posted by STING2Houston Tex- you give a figure for GNR from two shows of 25,000, a very small figure for the Summit I might add. U2 played one show at the Summit to 16,342 people and one show at the Astrodome to 31,884 people. Thats a combined 48,226 for U2!

Nope, you know where I'm going with this...

Originally posted by STING2 My figures for the U2 shows come from Amusement Business which does the accounting and reporting for all concerts for the industry and has been doing this since 1977. Pollstar and Billboard often report and print the figures. From 1977 to 1994, Billboard only reported and printed the North American figures from Amusment Business. Starting in 1995 though, Billboard began printing International results as well.

I know.

Originally posted by STING2 Of the 14 cities you claimed that GNR equaled or bettered U2's drawing power in, in 8 of the cities, that is factually incorrect. Only in 6 of the cities can the claim even be given consideration. The only one where GNR was clearly ahead was in fact Tokyo.

Wrong.

Originally posted by STING2 Also, its not right to include the totals of the Metallica/GNR Faith No More tour in the 7,000,000 figure because potentialy half or more of the people there were only there because of Metallica, or because they thought seeing 3 bands for the price of 27 dollars was good deal. At best only 50% of the attendence of that tour should be included in GNR's total figures.

Ok, fine. Then since the GNR/Metallica tour total attendance was 825,000, it would knock off 410,000. So it's still more than the Zoo TV tour with 6.6 Million tickets sold worldwide.

Originally posted by STING2 All the statistics point to the fact that GNR was primarily an Arena sized act in the United States. They had plenty of opportunities to play Stadium shows and they elected not to, despite doing it in many overseas markets.

Incorrect.

Originally posted by STING2There were many area's that U2 could have played more Stadium shows in around the World on ZOO TV. U2 did not go to South America, but did on the next tour and had some of the largest ever recorded attendence figures for Brazil, Argentina, and Chile. There were other untapped markets for U2 in Eastern Europe, Israel, South Africa and other places. U2 had huge success in these places on the next tour. So indeed, the entire world was not saturated.

I didn't say it was. I said most markets were.

Originally posted by STING2 U2 could have easily come back to the United States in 1993 and done a lengthy Arena/Stadium tour prior to their European Stadium tour and after it in 1993. The fact is, the longer one extends a tour over the years, the easier it is to return to places that had been played 12 months or 24 months earlier and repeat or come close to repeating the same business.

Not necessarily. That depends on a lot of factors.

Originally posted by STING2 So lengthy 3 year tours are not necessarily the best guage of demand in all area's. An indicator indeed, but one that has to be looked at carefully. The best indicator obviously is how well you can do in a single city over a stringe of several nights in the same time frame, usually no more than a week. Stadiums will be able to truely show the level of demand, and there may only be enough demand to play one night. The numbers with arena's can often hide what the true demand is, because the total number of tickets sold on any given night is so much lower and diehards who go multiple nights scoop up a much higher percentage of all the tickets. The size of stadiums prevents this from happening and one will have to have strong appeal among casual fans and Joe Public in order to do well. [/B]

I don't agree. And the Use Your Illusion tour wasn't three years if that's what you were implying, it was 26 months.

Also, many of the above markets, including Seattle, Toronto, Houston, Dallas, Minneapolis and Phoenix had addtional shows in Stadiums months later for the GNR/Metallica tour...

First I don't agree that GNR sold 7 million tickets on their tour. Its possible, but I'd have to see more evidence of that before I accepted it as a gospel fact. To often I have seen general listing in articles etc. that often factually incorrect.

The fact that GNR had a stage that was not fitted for 360 configeration is not an excuse. When artist have the opportunity to sell more tickets they do and go 360. Selling behind the stage seating is tough for some artist and no doubt from what I see, GNR decided to not deal with that.

St. Louis- you said GNR did equal and better and that is incorrect!

Tacoma Dome- sorry, but even so, U2 had a higher attendence level where you claimed it was equal or higher for GNR!

Phoenix- You have to remember GNR played two shows and you have fans going to both so their actual single stadium total would be smaller than 46,000 if in fact that is what it was. GNR definitely is not equal or higher in this market.

Miami- again you said this was a market where GNR equaled or surpassed U2, again that was NOT the case!

Dallas-again you claimed GNR equaled or drew more people and once again that is not the case.

Toronto- again, regardless of your formula for return engagement factor, you claimed this was a market where GNR equaled or drew more people and again that was not the case!

Ah yes the Toledo, Dayton Ohio shows. I don't doubt they decided not to play there because they felt demand would not be the strongest there, but U2 has played to over 40,000 people at a single show in Ohio, has GNR ever done that?

Houston- once again you claimed GNR was equal or drew more people in this market and once again it is U2 that drew more people even without the prior Arena show!

"Wrong" Please tell me where I'm wrong. You made the claim that GNR equalled or drew more people in ALL of the above cities. The facts show something much different!

"Ok, fine. Then since the GNR/Metallica tour total attendance was 825,000, it would knock off 410,000. So it's still more than the Zoo TV tour with 6.6 Million tickets sold worldwide."

I don't accept the 7 million figure for GNR as fact yet, so I disagree until I see more accurate individual figures for international dates on that tour. In addition, that is definitely not evidence that GNR's drawing power is stronger. In fact, in every market that both bands have played that I have compared, U2 has won out over 90% of the time. Simply staying on the road longer is not evidence of greater popularity. The most accurate comparison of who has greater drawing power is done by comparing the attendence in cities where both bands played. In that respect, U2 is far ahead in the number of cities I have seen where they outdraw GNR.

"incorrect"

Its a fact that GNR had the opportunity to play stadiums in all kinds of places across North America and the DIDN'T. The #1 reason for that is because they did not have the drawing power to do so.

U2 may have saturated the market in some area's for Stadiums, but any area could have return Arena shows months later, especially at 30 dollars a ticket in the early 1990s.

"Also, many of the above markets, including Seattle, Toronto, Houston, Dallas, Minneapolis and Phoenix had addtional shows in Stadiums months later for the GNR/Metallica tour..."

Lets make one thing clear, the GNR/Metallica/Faith No More tour was NOT a GNR Stadium tour!

STING2 said:
First I don't agree that GNR sold 7 million tickets on their tour. Its possible, but I'd have to see more evidence of that before I accepted it as a gospel fact. To often I have seen general listing in articles etc. that often factually incorrect.

Well, subtracting their attendances with the Metallica double bill in half, it's 6.6 million and that's a fact!

Originally posted by STING2 The fact that GNR had a stage that was not fitted for 360 configeration is not an excuse. When artist have the opportunity to sell more tickets they do and go 360. Selling behind the stage seating is tough for some artist and no doubt from what I see, GNR decided to not deal with that.

Ok, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You're nit-picking now. And you're getting ridiculous.

Originally posted by STING2 St. Louis- you said GNR did equal and better and that is incorrect!

Tacoma Dome- sorry, but even so, U2 had a higher attendence level where you claimed it was equal or higher for GNR!

Phoenix- You have to remember GNR played two shows and you have fans going to both so their actual single stadium total would be smaller than 46,000 if in fact that is what it was. GNR definitely is not equal or higher in this market.

Miami- again you said this was a market where GNR equaled or surpassed U2, again that was NOT the case!

Dallas-again you claimed GNR equaled or drew more people and once again that is not the case.

Toronto- again, regardless of your formula for return engagement factor, you claimed this was a market where GNR equaled or drew more people and again that was not the case!

Houston- once again you claimed GNR was equal or drew more people in this market and once again it is U2 that drew more people even without the prior Arena show!

Interesting that you ignore how I stated that GNR did another round of Stadiums in these markets with Metallica. You have to also keep in mind that GNR only had 2 albums out at the time they played these markets above (apart from Miami). UYI hadn't even come out yet. That's astonishing that they could have the highest attended tour in history with on the weight of two albums.

Originally posted by STING2 Ah yes the Toledo, Dayton Ohio shows. I don't doubt they decided not to play there because they felt demand would not be the strongest there, but U2 has played to over 40,000 people at a single show in Ohio, has GNR ever done that?

If GNR only did one show in Ohio on the UYI tour, they could've quite easily, probably even double that.

Originally posted by STING2 "Wrong" Please tell me where I'm wrong. You made the claim that GNR equalled or drew more people in ALL of the above cities. The facts show something much different!

Well look two posts above and you'll see.

Originally posted by STING2 I don't accept the 7 million figure for GNR as fact yet, so I disagree until I see more accurate individual figures for international dates on that tour. In addition, that is definitely not evidence that GNR's drawing power is stronger. In fact, in every market that both bands have played that I have compared, U2 has won out over 90% of the time. Simply staying on the road longer is not evidence of greater popularity. The most accurate comparison of who has greater drawing power is done by comparing the attendence in cities where both bands played. In that respect, U2 is far ahead in the number of cities I have seen where they outdraw GNR.

http://gnrontour.com/

Originally posted by STING2 Its a fact that GNR had the opportunity to play stadiums in all kinds of places across North America and the DIDN'T. The #1 reason for that is because they did not have the drawing power to do so.

Have a look at the above site wipe the egg off your face.

GNR sold well over 2 million tickets in the US on the UYI tour. With it's 6.6 - 7 million tickets sold worldwide, it's the highest attended tour in history. And even though they didn't play that many stadiums in the US on this tour, they certainly did multiple nights in arenas and amphitheaters.

Originally posted by STING2 Lets make one thing clear, the GNR/Metallica/Faith No More tour was NOT a GNR Stadium tour!

GNR could've played mostly stadiums if they only did one leg in North American on the UYI tour.

black album tour 91-93 eheh.not too shabby for metal band

Date Location Venue Media

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aug 1 Petaluma, CA Phoenix Theatre

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aug 2 Petaluma, CA Phoenix Theatre

Aug 10 Copenhagen, Denmark Gentofte Stadion

Aug 13 Katowice, Poland Slask Stadium

Aug 14 Modena, Italy Fester De L'Unita

Aug 17 Donington, United Kingdom Donington Park

Aug 22 Budapest, Hungary Nep Stadium

Aug 24 Munich, Germany Gallopprennbahn Riem

Aug 25 Basel, Switzerland St Jakob Football Stadium

Aug 27 Berlin, Germany Waldbughne Ampitheater

Aug 28 Berlin, Germany Waldbughne Ampitheater

Aug 30 Hasselt, Belgium Domein Kiewit

Aug 31 Hannover, Germany Nieder-Sachsen Stadium

Sep 1 Numegen, Netherlands Goffer Stadium

Sep 7 Mainz, Germany Air Base

Sep 11 Graz, Austria Liebenau

Sep 17 Dortmund, Germany Westfalenhalle

Sep 18 Dortmund, Germany Westfalenhalle

Sep 21 Paris, France Hippodrome deParis Vincennes

Sep 24 Barcelona, Spain Olympic Stadium

Sep 28 Moscow, Russian Federation Tushino Air Field

Oct 12 Oakland, CA Oakland Stadium

Oct 29 Peoria, IL Civic Center

Oct 30 Madison, WI Dane County Arena

Nov 1 Muskegon, MI L.C. Walker Arena

Nov 2 Detroit, MI The Palace of Auburn Hills

Nov 3 Detroit, MI The Palace of Auburn Hills

Nov 5 Milwaukee, WI Bradley Center

Nov 6 Des Moines, IA Veterans Memorial Auditorium

Nov 8 Minneapolis, MN Target Center

Nov 9 Duluth, MN Arena

Nov 10 Ceder Rapids, IA Five Seasons Center

Nov 12 Green Bay, WI Brown County Arena

Nov 14 Toronto, Canada Maple Leaf Gardens

Nov 15 Toronto, Canada Maple Leaf Gardens

Nov 17 Montreal, Canada Forum

Nov 18 Ottawa, Canada Civic Center

Nov 19 Quebec City, Canada Coliseum

Nov 21 Pittsburgh, PA Civic Arena

Nov 22 Indianapolis, IN Market Square Arena

Nov 24 St. Louis, MO Arena

Nov 25 Ft. Wayne, IN Coliseum

Nov 27 Omaha, NE Civic Center

Nov 28 Kansas City, MO Kemper Arena

Nov 30 Cleveland, OH Richfield Coliseum

Dec 1 Cleveland, OH Richfield Coliseum

Dec 3 Buffalo, NY Municipal Auditorium

Dec 5 Chicago, IL Rosemont Horizon

Dec 6 Chicago, IL Rosemont Horizon

Dec 7 Chicago, IL Rosemont Horizon

Dec 18 Uniondale, NY Nassau Coliseum

Dec 19 Uniondale, NY Nassau Coliseum

Dec 20 Uniondale, NY Nassau Coliseum

Dec 22 Worcester, MA Centrum

Dec 23 Worcester, MA Centrum

Dec 31 Tokyo, Japan Tokyo Dome

Jan 4 Las Vegas, NV Thomas & Mack Center

Jan 6 Los Angeles, CA Forum

Jan 7 Los Angeles, CA Forum

Jan 8 Los Angeles, CA Forum

Jan 10 Sacramento, CA Arco Arena

Jan 11 Sacramento, CA Arco Arena

Jan 13 San Diego, CA Sports Arena

Jan 14 San Diego, CA Sports Arena

Jan 17 Houston, TX Summit

Jan 18 New Orleans, LA Uno Lakefront Arena

Jan 20 Little Rock, AR Barton Coliseum

Jan 21 Dallas, TX Reunion Arena

Jan 22 San Antonio, TX Convention Center

Jan 24 Oklahoma City, OK Myriad Arena

Jan 25 Tulsa, OK Expo Square

Jan 27 Austin, TX Frank Erwin Center

Jan 28 Shreveport, LA Hirsch Memorial Coliseum

Jan 29 Memphis, TN Pyramid

Jan 31 El Paso, TX Utep Special Events Center

Feb 2 Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum

Feb 3 Lubbock, TX Municipal Coliseum

Feb 4 Odessa, TX Ector County Coliseum

Feb 6 Denver, CO McNichols Sports Arena

Feb 7 Denver, CO McNichols Sports Arena

Feb 8 Denver, CO McNichols Sports Arena

Feb 10 Salt Lake City, UT Delta Center

Feb 12 Los Angeles, CA Forum

Feb 13 Los Angeles, CA Forum

Feb 15 Fresno, CA Selland Arena

Feb 16 Reno, NV Lawlor Events Center

Feb 27 Portland, ME Cumberland County Civic Center

Feb 28 Albany, NY Knickerbocker Arena

Feb 29 Providence, RI Providence Civic Center

Mar 2 Cincinnati, OH Riverfront Coliseum

Mar 4 Carbondale, IL SIU Arena

Mar 5 Champaign, IL Assembly Hall

Mar 7 Knoxville, TN Thompson Boling Arena

Mar 8 Evansville, IN Roberts Stadium

Mar 9 Nashville, TN Muncipal Auditorium

Mar 11 Roanoke, VA Civic Center Coliseum

Mar 12 Chattanooga, TN UTC Arena

Mar 14 Miami, FL Arena

Mar 15 Jacksonville, FL Veterans Memorial Coliseum

Mar 16 Orlando, FL Arena

Mar 18 Huntsville, AL Von Braun Civic Center

Mar 19 Louisville, KY Freedom Hall

Mar 21 Charlotte, NC Coliseum

Mar 22 Charleston, WV Civic Center

Mar 24 Pensacola, FL Civic Center

Mar 25 Birmingham, AL Jefferson Civic Coliseum

Mar 26 Greensboro, NC Coliseum Complex

Mar 28 Atlanta, GA Omni

Mar 29 Atlanta, GA Omni

Mar 31 Richmond, VA Coliseum

Apr 1 Landover, MD Capitol Center

Apr 2 Landover, MD Capitol Center

Apr 4 East Rutherford, NJ Meadowlands

Apr 6 Philedelphia, PA Spectrum

Apr 7 Philedelphia, PA Spectrum

Apr 8 East Rutherford, NJ Meadowlands

Apr 10 Hampton, VA Coliseum

Apr 12 Binghamtom, NY Broome County Arena

Apr 13 Rochester, NY War Memorial

Apr 14 Hamilton, Canada Copps Coliseum

Apr 16 Hartford, CT Civic Center Arena

Apr 20 London, United Kingdom Wembley Stadium

May 6 Pullman, WA Coliseum

May 7 Boise, ID BSU Pavillion

May 9 San Francisco, CA Cow Palace

May 10 San Francisco, CA Cow Palace

May 13 Rapid City, SD Rushmore Plaza Civic Center

May 14 Sioux Falls, SD Arena

May 15 Fargo, ND Bison Sports Arena

May 17 Winnipeg, Canada Arena

May 18 Saskatoon, Canada Saskatchewan Place

May 19 Edmonton, Canada Northlands Coliseum

May 21 Calgary, Canada Olympic Saddledome

May 23 Vancouver, Canada PNE Coliseum

May 25 Vancouver, Canada PNE Coliseum

May 27 Seattle, WA Coliseum

May 28 Seattle, WA Coliseum

May 30 Anchorage, AK Sullivan Arena

Jun 1 Portland, OR Coliseum

Jun 2 Portland, OR Coliseum

Jun 4 Salt Lake City, UT Delta Center

Jun 5 Casper, WY Events Center

Jun 6 Billings, MT Metrapark Arena

Jun 9 Tucson, AZ Convention Center Arena

Jun 10 Phoenix, AZ America West Arena

Jun 11 Phoenix, AZ America West Arena

Jun 14 Mobile, AL Civic Center

Jun 15 Baton Rouge, LA LSU Assembly Center

Jun 16 Jackson, MS Mississipi Coliseum

Jun 19 Nashville, TN Starwood Ampitheatre

Jun 20 St. Louis, MO Riverport Ampitheatre

Jun 21 Kansas City, KS Sandstone Ampitheatre

Jun 23 Cincinnati, OH Riverbend Music Center

Jun 25 Raleigh, NC Walnut Creek Ampitheatre

Jun 27 Charlevoix, MI Castle Farms Music Theatre

Jun 28 Columbus, OH Buckeye Lake Music Center

Jun 30 Milwaukee, WI Summerfest

Jul 1 Chicago, IL World Music Theater

Jul 3 Cleveland, OH Blossom Music Center

Jul 4 Weedsport, NY Cayuga Fairgrounds

Jul 5 Allentown, PA Fairgrounds

Jul 17 Washington, DC RFK Stadium

Jul 18 East Rutherford, NJ Giants Stadium

Jul 21 Detroit, MI Pontiac Silverdome

Jul 22 Inianapolis, IN Hoosier Dome

Jul 25 Buffalo, NY Rich Stadium

Jul 26 Pittsburgh, PA Three Rivers Stadium

Jul 29 East Rutherford, NJ Giants Stadium

Aug 8 Montreal, Canada Olympic Stadium

Aug 25 Phoenix, AZ Phoenix International Raceway

Aug 27 Las Cruces, NM Aggie Memorial Stadium

Aug 29 New Orleans, LA Superdome

Aug 31 Atlanta, GA Lakewood Ampitheatre

Sep 2 Orlando, FL Citrus Bowl

Sep 4 Houston, TX Astrodome

Sep 5 Dallas, TX Texas Stadium

Sep 7 Columbia, SC Williams-Brice Stadium

Sep 11 Boston, MA Foxboro Stadium

Sep 13 Toronto, Canada Exhibition Stadium

Sep 15 Minneapolis, MN Metrodome

Sep 17 Kansas City, MO Arrowhead Stadium

Sep 19 Denver, CO Mile High Stadium

Sep 24 Oakland, PA Oakland Stadium

Sep 27 Los Angeles, CA Coliseum

Sep 30 San Diego, CA Jack Murphy Stadium

Oct 3 Los Angeles, CA Rose Bowl

Oct 6 Seattle, WA Kingdome

Oct 22 Gent, Belgium Flander's Expo

Oct 24 London, United Kingdom Wembley Arena

Oct 25 London, United Kingdom Wembley Arena

Oct 27 Glasgow, Scotland SECC

Oct 28 Newcastle, United Kingdom Whitley Bay Ice Rink

Oct 30 Dublin, Ireland The Point

Nov 1 Sheffield, United Kingdom Arena

Nov 3 Manchester, United Kingdom G-MEX

Nov 4 Birmingham, United Kingdom NEC

Nov 5 Birmingham, United Kingdom NEC

Nov 7 Rotterdam, Netherlands Ahoy

Nov 8 Rotterdam, Netherlands Ahoy

Nov 10 Paris, France Bercy

Nov 12 Barcelona, Spain Olympic Palau Sant Jordi

Nov 13 San Sebastian, Spain Velodrome

Nov 16 Rome, Italy Palamarino

Nov 17 Milan, Italy Palatrussardi

Nov 18 Zurich, Switzerland Hallenstadion

Nov 20 Vienna, Austria Stadthalle

Nov 22 Munich, Germany Olympiahalle

Nov 23 Stuttgart, Germany Schleyerhalle

Nov 24 Dortmund, Germany Westfalenhalle

Nov 26 Frankfurt, Germany Festhalle

Nov 27 Nuremberg, Germany Frankenhalle

Nov 29 Nuremberg, Germany Frankenhalle

Nov 30 Mannheim, Germany Maimarkthalle

Dec 1 Stuttgart, Germany Schleyerhalle

Dec 3 Kiel, Germany Ostseehalle

Dec 5 Berlin, Germany Deutchlandhalle

Dec 7 Den Bosch, Netherlands Brabanthall

Dec 9 Copenhagen, Denmark Forum

Dec 10 Copenhagen, Denmark Forum

Dec 12 Gothenburg, Sweden Scandinavium

Dec 14 Oslo, Norway Spektrum

Dec 16 Helsinki, Finland Ishall

Dec 18 Stockholm, Sweden Globen

Jan 22 Kalamazoo, MI Wings Stadium

Jan 23 Toledo, OH John F. Savage Hall

Jan 26 Hershey, PA Hersheypark Arena

Jan 28 Iowa City, IA Carver-Hawkeye Arena

Jan 29 La Crosse, WI Center Arena

Jan 31 Rockford, IL Metro Centre

Feb 1 Saginaw, MI Wendler Arena

Feb 2 Dayton, OH Irvin J. Nutter Center

Feb 4 Johnson City, TN Freedom Hall

Feb 5 Lexington, KY Rupp Arena

Feb 6 Greenvilee, SC Memeorial Auditorium

Feb 9 Moncton, Canada Coliseum

Feb 10 Halifax, Canada Metro Center

Feb 12 Montreal, Canada Forum

Feb 13 Montreal, Canada Forum

Feb 15 Amherst, MA Mullins Center

Feb 17 Charleston, SC North Charleston Coliseum

Feb 19 St. Petersburg, FL Bayfront Center Arena

Feb 20 Ft. Myers, FL Lee Civic Center

Feb 21 Tallahassee, FL Leon Co. Civic Center

Feb 25 Mexico City, Mexico Sports Palace

Feb 26 Mexico City, Mexico Sports Palace

Feb 27 Mexico City, Mexico Sports Palace

Mar 1 Mexico City, Mexico Sports Palace

Mar 2 Mexico City, Mexico Sports Palace

Mar 12 Honolulu, HI Blaisdell Center

Mar 13 Honolulu, HI Blaisdell Center

Mar 16 Tokyo, Japan Yoyogi Olympic Pool

Mar 17 Tokyo, Japan Yoyogi Olympic Pool

Mar 18 Yokohama, Japan Arena

Mar 21 Fukuoka, Japan Sun Palace

Mar 22 Osaka, Japan Castle Hall

Mar 23 Nagoya, Japan Century Hall

Mar 26 Auckland, New Zealand The Supertop

Mar 27 Sydney, Australia Entertainment Centre

Mar 29 Brisbane, Australia Entertainment Centre

Mar 31 Sydney, Australia Entertainment Centre

Apr 1 Sydney, Australia Entertainment Centre

Apr 3 Melbourne, Australia National Tennis Centre

Apr 4 Melbourne, Australia National Tennis Centre

Apr 5 Adelaide, Australia Entertainment Centre

Apr 7 Perth, Australia Entertainment Centre

Apr 8 Perth, Australia Entertainment Centre

Apr 10 Jakarta, Indonesia Lebak Bulus Stadium

Apr 11 Jakarta, Indonesia Lebak Bulus Stadium

Apr 13 Singapore, Singapore Indoor Stadium

Apr 15 Bangkok, Thailand Thai Japanese Youth Center

Apr 17 Manila, Philippines University Life Stadium

May 1 Sao Paulo, Brazil Palmeiras Stadium

May 2 Sao Paulo, Brazil Palmeiras Stadium

May 4 Santiago, Chile Velodromo

May 7 Buenos Aires, Argentina Valez Sarsfield Stadium

May 8 Buenos Aires, Argentina Valez Sarsfield Stadium

May 19 Hannover, Germany Niedersachsenstadion

May 20 Dusseldorf, Germany Rheinstadion

May 22 Mannheim, Germany Maimarktgelande

May 23 Nuremburg, Germany Zeppelinfeld

May 24 Brno, Czech Republic Bobby Stadium

May 26 Berlin, Germany Waldebuhne

May 28 Copenhagen, Denmark Gentofte Stadium

May 30 Stockholm, Sweden Olympic Stadium

Jun 1 Helsinki, Finland Aggelby Isbana

Jun 5 Milton Keynes, United Kingdom National Bowl

Jun 8 Bratislava, Slovakia Sloven Stadium

Jun 9 Budapest, Hungary MTK Stadium

Jun 13 Rotterdam, Netherlands Feijenoord Stadium

Jun 13 Paris, France Hippodrome De Vincennes

Jun 16 Lisbon, Portugal Alvalade Stadium

Jun 18 Madrid, Spain Rayo Vallecano

Jun 20 Basel, Switzerland National Bowl

Jun 22 Turin, Italy Stadio Delle Alpi

Jun 25 Istanbul, Turkey Inonu Stadium

Jun 26 Vienna, Austria Praterstadion

Jun 27 Athens, Greece Panionions Stadium

Jun 30 Tel Aviv, Israel Hayarkon Park

Jul 3 Torhout, Belgium Rock Tourhout

Jul 4 Werchter, Belgium Rock Werchter

they played more than 300 arena/stadium shows only one tour.metallica led zeppelin of this generation.don forget))

METFIELD said:
they played more than 300 arena/stadium shows only one tour.metallica led zeppelin of this generation.don forget))

Wrong. Metallica played 220-230 shows on the Black Album tour, which lasted from August 1991 to July 1993. And 50 of the shows roughly were festival bills with multiple acts. Also there's no way that they sold 12 million tickets on one tour because if you add up the capacities of each venue that they headlined it would be 3-4 million, and that's not even providing info on whether they all sold out or not. Your info is wrong.

NoControl said:

Wrong. Metallica played 220-230 shows on the Black Album tour, which lasted from August 1991 to July 1993. And 50 of the shows roughly were festival bills with multiple acts. Also there's no way that they sold 12 million tickets on one tour because if you add up the capacities of each venue that they headlined it would be 3-4 million, and that's not even providing info on whether they all sold out or not. Your info is wrong.

did you know metallica concert attendance figures of 88-93 us shows

no he just added up how many people all of those venues can fit at the maximum and found at most only 3-4 million people could be squeezed into those concerts.

One thing No Control.... you keep claiming the fact that GNR sold 6.6 million tickets (and that's a fact!), but please provide solid evidence for this. STING2 and Doctorwho in the past (and you can go check this yourself from the early posts of this forum and WHERE THE ALBUM HAS A NAME) have provided detailed information on a large number of U2 concerts, and if I remember correctly, Zoo Tv was also explained and accounted for in this way so STING2's figures are pretty solid.

If you can provide the same kind of information for each concert on GNR's tour then we'll have factual information to talk about. Rather than claims that GNR was bigger back then.

That website you provided doesn't have every concert accounted for, and all those figures have been rounded off in some way. I mean they may all be quite close to the actual figures, but there are sure to be occassions where mistakes occur there.. simply saying "20,000 for the Starplex Ampitheatre, Dallas" isn't really enough. I did notice that Charlotte had exact figures of 17,649. That's what we need, exact number of ticket sales.

So it's up to you (and well anyone else who feels compelled to) to post this information on this forum for us.
Thanks.
WHYWHY.

Back
Top Bottom