When are U2 Going To Follow up COBL in USA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2mad25 said:
I am very worried about U2 airplay here in NY. After the new year, one of the major rock stations (K-Rock) will become all-talk. Then, we'll have just one classic rock station (Q104 that does play U2 but mostly the 80s/early 90s over the new stuff) and an adult hits station ('PLJ that has played COBL alot, I hear it often). But one station will not make an impact in NY - how does OOTS stand a chance in the biggest market in the US?

Does New York still have a top 40, adult top 40 and modern rock stations?

STING2 said:

Does New York still have a top 40, adult top 40 and modern rock stations?

There is rythmic top 40 (z100) - I think they played vertigo once, at the height of its popularity but it's heavily r&b/hip hop with some rock (and I use that word liberally). No modern rock. The adult top 40 is plj, which appears to be the only shot for OOTS to make any impact...

Yes

solar said:
Is OOTS getting any airplay in America, except the ipod commercial?

It's off to the fastest song on AAA rock for any of the U.S. singles. Here are the Top 10 songs on the "Jump" or fastest gainers list from today's midday update at mediabase.com. Also, there are two stations in NY that have just added it to their rotation. A few links beyond the Top 10 list, you can see the "Leaders" and the "Starters", which is simply the stations that have added the song two weeks ago versus the stations the have added the song maybe just two days ago.

AAA Rock
Mediabase - All Stations(U.S)
Past 7 Days

Jump! Menu | 7-Day Chart | Taking Off

LW: Nov 6 - Nov 12
TW: Nov 13 - Nov 19
Updated: Sun Nov 20 3:24 PM PST

Artist Title Move (Jump!) Stations Playing Format Reports

U2 Original of The Species +86 18 Leaders Starters
SANTANA I Don't Wanna Lose Your Love +62 10 Leaders Starters
RAY DAVIES Thanksgiving Day +62 14 Leaders Starters
DAVE MATTHEWS BAND Everybody Wake Up (Our...) +56 16 Leaders Starters
DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE Soul Meets Body +43 24 Leaders Starters
ROLLING STONES Rain Fall Down +36 12 Leaders Starters
JACK JOHNSON Breakdown +31 25 Leaders Starters
WALLFLOWERS God Says Nothing Back +24 17 Leaders Starters
BOB MARLEY Slogans (f/ Eric Clapton) +21 22 Leaders Starters
COLDPLAY Talk +21 5 Leaders Starters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Day Format Leaders Interscope U2 Original of The Species

by Spins This Week
Show Format Starters | 7-Day Chart | Taking Off | Jump!

LW: Nov 6 - Nov 12 TW: Nov 13 - Nov 19 Updated: Sun Nov 20 3:24 PM PST

Station Market Format Spins by daypart Aud/Mill TW lw +/- ovn am mid pm eve
KPRI-FM San Diego AAA Rock 21 15 6 7 1 1 6 6 0.073
WMMM-FM Madison, WI AAA Rock 14 4 10 6 1 2 2 3 0.016
WBOS-FM Boston AAA Rock 12 0 12 4 0 4 2 2 0.120
S018-FM *SiriusSatellite AAA Rock 12 0 12 3 2 2 3 2 0.000
KENZ-FM Salt Lake City AAA Rock 10 4 6 5 0 1 1 3 0.017
KTHX-FM Reno AAA Rock 10 0 10 2 2 2 1 3 0.016
WXRV-FM Portsmouth, NH AAA Rock 9 5 4 2 2 2 1 2 0.065
WRLT-FM Nashville AAA Rock 7 8 -1 3 0 0 2 2 0.008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Day Format Starters Interscope U2 Original of The Species

by Spins This Week
Show Format Leaders | 7-Day Chart | Taking Off | Jump!

LW: Nov 6 - Nov 12 TW: Nov 13 - Nov 19 Updated: Sun Nov 20 3:24 PM PST

Station Market Format Spins
by daypart Aud/Mill
TW lw +/- ovn am mid pm eve
WBOS-FM Boston AAA Rock 12 0 12 4 0 4 2 2 0.120
S018-FM *SiriusSatellite AAA Rock 12 0 12 3 2 2 3 2 0.000
KTHX-FM Reno AAA Rock 10 0 10 2 2 2 1 3 0.016
WRNR-FM Baltimore AAA Rock 5 0 5 2 1 1 1 0 0.010
KMTT-FM Seattle AAA Rock 4 0 4 2 0 2 0 0 0.043
KWMT-FM Tucson AAA Rock 4 0 4 2 0 1 0 1 0.005
WRNX-FM Springfield, MA AAA Rock 4 0 4 4 0 0 0 0 0.000
KBCO-FM Denver AAA Rock 2 0 2 1 1 0 0 0 0.017

solar said:
Do you think OOTS will get in the hot 100 on billboard? (Thanks for the info) :)

Hopefully, despite what I anticipate to be poor airplay here in NYC (the States' biggest radio market), it might be able to do it. Alot of country music songs enter the Billboard Hot 100 and there is no country station in NYC either. I don't think it will get too high though. It will need considerable airplay and/or sales points to do this. It has a better chance on the Adult stations since the song certainly appeals to their format.

Is the new version available on iTunes as a download yet (I don't have an iPOD so I don't check these things)? :reject:

Last edited:
i doubt it will make the hot 100.

and there isnt any new / single version available on iTunes, only the album version.

ybird3k said:
i doubt it will make the hot 100.

and there isnt any new / single version available on iTunes, only the album version.

Then I agree - Hot 100 is a longshot. It has better chance on the genre charts (Adult, Modern/Mainstream Rock). Hopefully, it will receive enough airplay to at least nudge sales of HTDAAB to the 3 million mark (Soundscan).

Video will help

Wow, U2 shocked me with the new OOTS video, which has been on MTV a lot today. Go to U2.com or Everything You Know is Wrong if you want to see it. This certainly changes what I've said about the chances for this song on the Hot 100. Also, the I-pod video commercial has been on during the T-day football games at least 5 times so far today.

I think that OOTS will make it onto a few Billboard charts in about 3 weeks, and if U2 took one more step and made the single version available for download with a good b-side (maybe the recent Wanderer performance or even Mercy?), then yes, the song could do very well on the Hot 100. In fact, it could easily top Vertigo's performance IF downloads could peak with rising or peaking airplay. A high debut from downloads, ala Speed of Sound, could garner enough of a buzz about the song to launch the it onto mainstream radio.

Even if there is no download scenario as described, I do think the video will be a staple on MTV and VH-1. This does not have the effect it used to, but I still think that OOTS is destined for the Hot 100 no matter what, as there is enough promotion already to get this great song onto U.S. radio. I'm glad that we finally get to see how a U2 single will do, anyway, with the right marketing and promotion behind it, since none of the singles after Vertigo have done anything in the U.S. and they certainly weren't given much of a chance, either.

Making predictions about U2 songs in the U.S. are pretty much a crapshoot, but I'll go on record and say that OOTS will crack the Top 50 on the BB Hot 100 before it's all said and done.

I hope you're right Believe! Now that song is officially out, I will start requesting it at NY stations (PLJ and Q104.3). Hopefully, they will start spinning it and it will take off - to my pleasant surprise, PLJ plays COBL quite a bit and it has been in their Top Ten songs for a few months. So, they are the biggest chance to break the song in NY - fingers crossed!

OOTS video

I love the new vid. It rocks:rockon:

They have played it a bunch on VH1's jump start that they play in the mornings. It hasn't cracked the VH1 top 20 countdown though. With a strong amount of airplay of both the ipod commercial and the vid getting airplay it may be on the hot 100 before long.

In the Utah radio scene they have a couple stations that play U2. The alternative station plays tonz of U2. I checked and OOTS has been played twice in the last 12 hours on 1019 the end.

Back
Top Bottom