What is U2 facing on October 14th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe people have had enough of U2, or the concept of albums in general.

We all know that U2 is an albums band not a singles band and if memory serves me correctly they haven't had a true Billboard hit in the US since Beautiful Day which was approximately 15 years ago.

Hopefully though it can have stable sales it doesnt take much to stay in the top 100 now.

Vertigo was a "hit". It reached top 35 and lingered for a while but your point stands true, it's been a while. People aren't sock of U2, they actually might have more fans than ever (U2 360 was a massive success).

They might have a chance with Every Breaking Wave but then again I would have said the same about Magnificent and that shit the bed on the charts.

They are a 50 year old Irish men, if they can conjure up a hit, it would truly be amazing. I hate using age as a disqualifier for hits but radio, more to the point Top 40 (the biggest format) radio, is all about younger artist. Perhaps that fits their target demo for all I know but it's too bad.

Heck, there are people on this board(a U2 fan site!) that think U2 are too old to write the songs that they do and should be changing their style. :(

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

It's not bad. We are just being unrealistic here. For interference 25k is very bad, while for billboard it is good.
The text is very balanced and objective

Sent from my LG-D855 using U2 Interference mobile app

It's not bad. We are just being unrealistic here. For interference 25k is very bad, while for billboard it is good.
The text is very balanced and objective

Sent from my LG-D855 using U2 Interference mobile app

What's absolutely crazy is the disparity between sales in Europe and the U.S. this time. I mean, almost 22k sold in FRANCE!! And that's in 3 days?? I'm going by the info in the other new thread.

I mean to think that France is outselling the entire US is just astonishing. I think the UK will have about equal numbers to the U.S. when usually they have about 1/3rd the sales.

So either their promo tour is REALLY working, or it shows the difference in buying habits and iTunes use in the different countries.

Hits daily double is starting to update their sales chart for last week, I really don't know how accurate they are compared to what billboard/sound scan report

Here it is (~68%):

HITS Daily Double: Building Album Sales Chart

-- 1 FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE REPUBLIC NASHVILLE 154,770
ANYTHING GOES
1 2 JASON ALDEAN BROKEN BOW 67,866
OLD BOOTS, NEW DIRT
-- 3 BOB SEGER CAPITOL 43,114
RIDE OUT
-- 4 YOU+ME RCA 36,110
ROSE AVE
9 5 SAM SMITH CAPITOL 29,170
IN THE LONELY HOUR
3 6 BARBRA STREISAND COLUMBIA 26,208
PARTNERS
-- 7 GAME EONE 23,725
BLOOD MOON: YEAR OF THE WOLF
-- 8 JESSIE J LAVA/REPUBLIC 21,573
SWEET TALKER
-- 9 MILKY CHANCE REPUBLIC 14,634
SADNECESSARY
2 10 HOZIER COLUMBIA 14,288
HOZIER
12 11 MAROON 5 222/INTERSCOPE 13,529
V
-- 12 U2 INTERSCOPE 12,625
SONGS OF INNOCENCE

13 13 KENNY CHESNEY BLUE CHAIR/COLUMBIA NASH 11,363
THE BIG REVIVAL
18 14 FROZEN WALT DISNEY 11,212
SOUNDTRACK
5 15 BLAKE SHELTON WARNER BROS. NASHVILLE 11,106
BRINGING BACK THE SUNSHINE
10 16 LADY ANTEBELLUM CAPITOL NASHVILLE 10,868

Going back to my prediction, it's no surprise that Florida Georgia Line is dominating. But wow, even Bob Seger is kicking their ass. :lol:
My prediction:

Florida Georgia Line
U2
Jessie J
The Game
Bob Seger
Of course, this doesn't matter because 80-100 million people have experienced Songs of Innocence.

Hits daily double is starting to update their sales chart for last week, I really don't know how accurate they are compared to what billboard/sound scan report

Here it is (~68%):

HITS Daily Double: Building Album Sales Chart

They are usually pretty close. Hard to tell what tomorrow will bring. with 70% reporting we may be looking more like 20-22k. But the only factor here is, who reports first. So maybe more digital are reported first, which would be good for them in this instance. either way. I would have loved a top 10, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that.

Would be kind of hilarious if Frozen eked out a victory after "stealing" U2's Oscar near the start of the year.

This thing is on track for under 20K, but we don't really know where the first batch of sales are coming from...U2 is obviously going to sell a lot more albums per capita in New Jersey and Boston than places like Mississippi or Louisiana.

Yeah hits daily double is usually accurate within a few thousand. What will be more interesting is how the album holds up over time.

Final numbers from HDD

-- 1 FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE REPUBLIC NASHVILLE 200,496 --
ANYTHING GOES
1 2 JASON ALDEAN BROKEN BOW 91,870 -67%
OLD BOOTS, NEW DIRT
-- 3 BOB SEGER CAPITOL 56,932 --
RIDE OUT
-- 4 YOU+ME RCA 49,170 --
ROSE AVE
3 5 BARBRA STREISAND COLUMBIA 41,030 -14%
PARTNERS
9 6 SAM SMITH CAPITOL 37,095 +52%
IN THE LONELY HOUR
-- 7 HOODIE ALLEN HOODIE ALLEN 32,849 --
PEOPLE KEEP TALKING
-- 8 GAME EONE 30,544 --
BLOOD MOON: YEAR OF THE WOLF
-- 9 JESSIE J LAVA/REPUBLIC 24,511 --
SWEET TALKER
4 10 TONY BENNETT & LADY GAGA COLUMBIA/INTERSCOPE 24,326 -34%
CHEEK TO CHEEK
-- 11 U2 INTERSCOPE 23,174 --
SONGS OF INNOCENCE
2 12 HOZIER COLUMBIA 20,411 -65%
HOZIER
-- 13 IDINA MENZEL WARNER BROS. 20,175 --
HOLIDAY WISHES
5 14 BLAKE SHELTON WARNER BROS. NASHVILLE 18,597 -47%

So we're looking at 25-30K in sales in the US. I was a little worried that they weren't going to pass the 20K mark.

Wow, not even top 10!

Womanfish......I was off....WAY off....embarrassingly off.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom