What is everyone's prediction for how ABOY will fare on the UK Charts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I reckon # 4 , with a big drop out of the top 20 in week 2, ala walk on. However i dont know what other records are being released that week. It will not help ABOY that it has already reached #51 based on imports, therefore the people who bought the single last time will probably not this time.

What does everyone think?

#3 with 20'000+ sales, with big 2nd week drop out of top 10 for certain, but never the less a BIG hit (and better than Walk On #5)

not much else out on the 10th of Oct though which is good news for ABOY. also out that week is :-

Bob Sinclair featuring Gary Pine - Love Generation (top 10 at best)
Feeder - Shatter (lucky if it makes top 30)
M.I.A Galang 2005 (lucky to make top 40)

so unless a song appears from nowhere in the next few weeks ABOY WILL be the highest new entry.

the week before James Bluntt has a new song out, but #1 will probably go to Robbie Williams, he may even make two weeks at the top.

i don't think the fact that ABOY's already been #51 on imports will make much of a diffrence, im surprised it did that well, (anyone know how ANY other U2 songs have done on import sales?) i'd guess that #51 ABOY probly sold about 1000 copies.

hopefully a top 40 Re-Entry for bomb also

:wink:

ABOY will be a landmark hit for U2. Provided it makes the UK Top 10, which is a certainty, it will be U2's 30th UK Top 10. How many other artists have had as many top 10's. I know Madonna has had over 50, but there can't be too many more artists with more top 10's than U2.

I have one question though. How come U2's single are doing better in the UK charts now, than they were back in there hay days of 1987-1992.

Look at the difference in Chart positions.

1987-1992
WOWY #4
ISHFWILF #6
WTSHNN #4
Desire #1
AOH #9
WLCTT #6
AIWIY #4
The Fly #1
MW #13
One #7
EBTTRT #12
EBTTRT remix #8
WGRYWH #14

While from 1998-2005, there singles have peaked much higher on the charts.

ST #3
BD #1
SIAM #2
Elevation #3
New Years Dub #15
WO #5
ES #5
TMTTCA #1
Vertigo #1
SYCMIOYO #1
COBL #2

Is there any reason for this?

UK Airplay chart:

ABOY #36 (#64) with 286 plays this week
should be a big jump up again next week just outside the top 10 maybe.

doing well, and i havent heard it on the radio yet, though i havent been listening as much recently.

probably come in at no.2, then drop like a brick for 2 weeks, and spend total of 8 weeks on chart, don't think Bomb will re-chart though, unfortunately.

Someone's going to predict #1 so it might as well be me. :wink:

#4, and then out of the top 40 within 3 weeks.
To be honest, I was surprised that Sometimes and City of Blinding Lights faired as well as they did in terms of entry positions.

All Because Of You is still only on Radio One's B-List, which probably means it's getting somewhat less airtime on local stations (for the record, I haven't heard it once on any local station where I live). I'm not expecting great things :shrug:

i heard it 3 times on radio 1 today and 3 times on virgin too! everytime i turned on radio it was playing! and the radio1 playlist you see on the website was from last thursday! it will be a list this thursday!

i find it strange its only on the radio2 C-list, when other (mostly crap) artists have gone straight onto the A-list. infact that A-list is a disgrace. hopefully ABOY wil be on the A-list next wek, that'll give it a LOT more airplay

I dont think it will go that high - for one big reason. The huge first week sales of the last three singles has been attributed to HMV bundling the 2 CDs and the DVD into a cheap package - 6 pound for the lot. This time, HMV aren't offering the discount - thus there wont be as huge a rush to grab a bargain - thus maybe only the more hardcore fans will grab all formats.

i got an e-mail from u2.com saying that hmv were offering the bundle.

mmm... "from u2.com"... must be accurate then

ABOY now on radio1 A-list

what i find strange though is that Oasis are still on the A-list and Coldplay are not, despite the Oasis single being out first, and the amount of hype coldplay have recieved.

No bundle is available on hmv.co.uk - and they offered it for Vertigo, SYCMIOYO and COBL a good month or so before release - so maybe they are just having that promotion instore compared to online... which sucks. I mean its only 1.98 more if its not bundled, but still... meh... i like the bargain...

ybird3k said:
ABOY now on radio1 A-list

Good...now let's hope Bomb starts moving up. :wink:

thatsnotmypuppy said:
No bundle is available on hmv.co.uk - and they offered it for Vertigo, SYCMIOYO and COBL a good month or so before release - so maybe they are just having that promotion instore compared to online... which sucks. I mean its only 1.98 more if its not bundled, but still... meh... i like the bargain...

Well, they had the same deal at Woolworths for the first 3 singles so i expect the same for ABOY.

Last edited:
I really hope it does well after that damn :censored: :censored: Crazy Frog stopped COBL from getting to no1. Ergh, I hate that Frog SO much, so much it hurts :mad:

ABOY isnt listed on the bbc radio 1 website under new releases.
Strange considering it should be one of the highest new entries.

I have found a list of new entries

Black Watch - "Innercity Garden EP"
Bob Sinclar / Gary Pine - "Love Generation"

Bow Wow / Omarion - "Let Me Hold You"

Clor - "Good Stuff"

Cuban Heels - "Mr. Brannam"

Delirious - "Paint The Town Red"

El Presidente - "Rocket"

Feeder - "Shatter / Tender"

Fight - "Can't Be Bothered"

Friday Hill - "Baby Goodbye"

Hush - "If I Was"

InMe - "So You Know"

Jenn Cuneta - "Come Rain Come Shine"

Jynxt - "Electric Knives"

Lee Ryan - "Turn Your Car Around"

Lisa Scott-Lee - "Electric"

Louis XIV - "Finding Out True Love Is Blind"

Mia - "Galang '05"

Missy Higgins - "Scar"

My Morning Jacket - "Off The Record"

Protocol - "She Waits For Me"

Robbie Rivera / Jesus Jones - "Right Here"

Roll Deep - "Shake A Leg"

Route One / Jenny Frost - "Crash Landing"

Simply Red - "Perfect Love"

Spoon - "Sister Jack"

Stephen Fretwell - "New York"

Steve Mac / Steve Smith - "Lovin' You More (That Big Track)"

T-Total / Marc Almond - "Baby's On Fire / Take Me Away"

TQ - "Right On"

U2 - "All Because Of You"

Utada - "You Made Me Want To Be A Man"

Winterville - "Under My Skin"

04072511 said:
ABOY isnt listed on the bbc radio 1 website under new releases.
Strange considering it should be one of the highest new entries.

well it's on their playlist, # 7 on radio 2 playlist & # 1 on overall nationwide pre-release :wink:

ABOY is # 17 on this weeks Radio 1 playlist (# 37 last week)

also at Amazon.co.uk all 3 versions of ABOY are currently :

# 1
# 2
# 4

looks good :up:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom