what can we expect this week?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KUEFC09U2 said:
in the U.S.? 20.000 possible?

The album sold 17,013 copies last week in the USA. I see no reason for it to increase this week unless good weather gets more people into the stores this week. Believe it or not, unusually good or bad weather can play a small role in album sales for the week.

I'd say at best were looking at 16,000 or 17,000 for the BOMB in the USA. 50,000 to 60,000 for the worldwide figure. The album is definitely slowing up a lot. The Summer time and the new single could increase sales though starting in June. I think Europe will definitely see BOMB's sales rise as the tour arrives in Europe.

Re: Re: what can we expect this week?

STING2 said:

Believe it or not, unusually good or bad weather can play a small role in album sales for the week.

Agreed, and it works both ways. For example, it rained all weekend here in New England. When it rains, people go shopping, and sales rise.

A long time ago when I worked in retail, I loved rainy weekends.

Of course, snowy weekends in the winter had the reverse effect, for obvious reasons.

The next few week's sales should be interesting.......it's going to sell like hotcakes in the Chicago area with four shows being played there....

doesnt seem much point having a HITS thread anymore, as it doesnt look like HTDAAB will be making the top50 for some time.

Wait until next week

ybird3k said:
doesnt seem much point having a HITS thread anymore, as it doesnt look like HTDAAB will be making the top50 for some time.

You may be right, but I really think that the album drop over the last two weeks in the U.S. is due in part to 1) U2 finishing up in Seattle & then heading to Canada, and 2) U2 taking about a 1-week break. The industry may be down across the board, but that may make it even easier for U2 to bounce back onto the charts once the tour starts hitting major markets. So here is what we have left on the 1st leg:

United States Of America (1 - 20) next
Thu, 05/12/05
07:30 PM U2
United Center
Chicago, IL Find Tickets

Sat, 05/14/05
Wachovia Center
Philadelphia, PA Find Tickets

Tue, 05/17/05
Continental Arena
East Rutherford, NJ Find Tickets

Wed, 05/18/05
Continental Arena
East Rutherford, NJ Find Tickets

Sat, 05/21/05
08:00 PM U2
Madison Square Garden
New York, NY Find Tickets

Sun, 05/22/05
Wachovia Center
Philadelphia, PA Find Tickets

Tue, 05/24/05
Fleetcenter
Boston, MA Find Tickets

Thu, 05/26/05
Fleetcenter
Boston, MA Find Tickets

Sat, 05/28/05
Fleetcenter
Boston, MA Find Tickets

When the Top 25 to 75 albums are separated by very few sales, it doesn't take much to push the album up a bit or down a lot. 4 shows in Chicago might result in U2 selling an additional 3000 albums this week in that market...which could be as many as 15 chart positions. Follow up Chicago with Philly, NY/NJ, and Boston, and I think we should see a similar bounce for the following two weeks. In short, I predict the album will be at 59 on BB tomorrow (for last week), but then I expect a run of 43-39-35-40 over the next 4 weeks.

After that, COBL will have to carry the album in the U.S., and I don't have a good feel for what it can do on radio. It sure seems to have that "magic" live, but that happens to many of U2's songs as they evolve through a tour. I think the R.O.W. sales over the summer will make up for the U.S. drop and the album should stay in the Top 40 on the Global chart for a while. I just hope that U2 somehow changes direction after the 1st leg and continues to release singles - for radio and download and for sale - in the U.S. If COBL is it until U2 returns to Chicago on September 20, then HTDAAB will indeed fall a lot on the BB Hot 200. For once I'd like Bono to follow through on one of his bold album predictions..."We've got 11 singles on this album" being one of his early statements about the Bomb. Well, then release OOTS & Miracle Drug (made for Pop radio IMO), A man and a woman (AC), & LPOE & Crumbs (Rock Format). Release Fast Cars on an EP, as it's a catchy, edgy song that would also do well on radio. Yeah, this is radical, but I agree with people who feel that the Bomb is more of a collection of great songs rather than a flowing album. So, I say get those songs on the radio.

P.S. With a tour set up to last another 12 months potentially, U2 may end up releasing 3 more singles after COBL, just not as fast as I would like and for different reasons, too. Either way, end of rant. I promise to try not to write any more posts about U2 singles, strategies, marketing (lack of), etc. Chart watching is fun and interesting, but I got to see them live last Friday, and that is what it's really all about.

what i dont understand is why do HTDAAB album sales increase after a show? i'd expect every person with a ticket to see U2//Vertigo to already own a copy of HTDAAB.

When U2 is coming to a city they get lots of publicity. Some of the people who have bought tickets have not bought the album yet. Others, who don't have tickets at all, read/hear more about U2 and the new album and decide to buy it.
While it didn't happen with U2 for me, I have been to several concerts when I didn't have the current album yet (or even an album of the artist at all). Only after the concert I decided to buy the album.
Touring IS promotion.

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom