What are U2's ticket sales in the US ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
They were selling well with the arena shows on Elevation and Vertigo, but how are they doing with stadiums in the recession era in the States ?

They were selling well with the arena shows on Elevation and Vertigo, but how are they doing with stadiums in the recession era in the States ?

Well, the first post in the forum shows just how well. They have had 13 shows with 13 sell outs. In just those 13 shows, they have played to more than 1 million people and grossed 112 million dollars. From what I have read, most of the remaining european shows will be sell outs with the exception of a couple (maybe). As for the US, Im not sure yet but I know that they have sold out the following:

2 shows at Giants Stadium-160k
1 show in Chicago-75k
1 show in Boston- 72k
1 show in LA- 90k
1 show in Vegas- not sure but perhaps 40-50k

The remaining shows are hit or miss at the moment. I have heard that there are not many tickets for the Dallas or Houston shows but then I hear that ATL, Tampa & NC are not selling as well. Either way, the recession does not appear to have hurt U2 at all.

Well, the first post in the forum shows just how well. They have had 13 shows with 13 sell outs. In just those 13 shows, they have played to more than 1 million people and grossed 112 million dollars. From what I have read, most of the remaining european shows will be sell outs with the exception of a couple (maybe). As for the US, Im not sure yet but I know that they have sold out the following:

2 shows at Giants Stadium-160k
1 show in Chicago-75k
1 show in Boston- 72k
1 show in LA- 90k
1 show in Vegas- not sure but perhaps 40-50k

The remaining shows are hit or miss at the moment. I have heard that there are not many tickets for the Dallas or Houston shows but then I hear that ATL, Tampa & NC are not selling as well. Either way, the recession does not appear to have hurt U2 at all.

The `ooficiual' line is that they have sold 94% of all tickets put on sale Mike

I get the feeling the 2nd London show and the Glasgow show wont sell out, the £30 tickets are still up for sale in Glasgow.

I get the feeling the 2nd London show and the Glasgow show wont sell out, the £30 tickets are still up for sale in Glasgow.

THose were part of the "couple" of shows I was thinking about. However, after the 1st Wembely Show, they will be likely to sell more tickets to the 2ns show (people who like the 1st night might want to go again). Im not sure if that will be enough to sell it out but we will see :hmm:

I thought Tampa and Raleigh weren't doing too bad. I think I heard the only weak sellers are Oklahoma, Phoenix and Atlanta.

Phoenix surprises me... I kind of thought that show would sell pretty well, considering it is the only show in that time zone.

Doing some research...

Chicago 1: Sold out
Chicago 2: All pairs sold out, but there are good singles left even in the $250 section. I can see this one selling out.
Toronto 1: Sold out
Toronto 2: Sold out
Bawston 1: Some $250 tickets appear to be available... probably a new drop, because that show is considered to be "sold out" officially.
Bawston 2: Very good $250 seats left; the only pairs they have are $30. Could sell out.
New Yawk 1: Sold out
New Yawk 2: Sold out
Washington: Some $250 seats left, although not of the best quality; only pairs are $30. Could sell out.
Charlottesville: Very good $250 seats left; very good $250 pairs left, too. No way in hell this well sell out.
Raleigh: Decent $250 seats left; decent $250 pairs left, too. Probably won't sell out.
Atlanta Geowga: Mediocre $55 seats left; mediocre $55 pairs left, too. I can see this one selling out.
Tampa: Pretty awful overpriced $55 tickets left; just about the same left for pairs. I can see this one selling out.
HellArlington, Texass: The worst of the $250 seats are still there; about the same for pairs. Could *possibly* sell out, but I doubt it.
Chevronville, Texass: Excellent $250 seats still left; decent $250 pairs left. I'm not sure this stadium will be half full.
Oklahomer: Some of the best $250 seats still left; same with pairs. Epic fail.
Phoenix: Very good $250 seats left; same with pairs. Won't sell out.
Also HellLos Angeles, Kalifornia: Theoretically sold out, although it looks like there was a ticket drop that has some $250s open.
Vancouver, BC: Decent $250s still open; no pairs. Good chance of selling out by showtime.

This is just my unscientific survey of Ticketmaster availability.

Doing some research...

Chicago 1: Sold out
Chicago 2: All pairs sold out, but there are good singles left even in the $250 section. I can see this one selling out.
Toronto 1: Sold out
Toronto 2: Sold out
Bawston 1: Some $250 tickets appear to be available... probably a new drop, because that show is considered to be "sold out" officially.
Bawston 2: Very good $250 seats left; the only pairs they have are $30. Could sell out.
New Yawk 1: Sold out
New Yawk 2: Sold out
Washington: Some $250 seats left, although not of the best quality; only pairs are $30. Could sell out.
Charlottesville: Very good $250 seats left; very good $250 pairs left, too. No way in hell this well sell out.
Raleigh: Decent $250 seats left; decent $250 pairs left, too. Probably won't sell out.
Atlanta Geowga: Mediocre $55 seats left; mediocre $55 pairs left, too. I can see this one selling out.
Tampa: Pretty awful overpriced $55 tickets left; just about the same left for pairs. I can see this one selling out.
HellArlington, Texass: The worst of the $250 seats are still there; about the same for pairs. Could *possibly* sell out, but I doubt it.
Chevronville, Texass: Excellent $250 seats still left; decent $250 pairs left. I'm not sure this stadium will be half full.
Oklahomer: Some of the best $250 seats still left; same with pairs. Epic fail.
Phoenix: Very good $250 seats left; same with pairs. Won't sell out.
Also HellLos Angeles, Kalifornia: Theoretically sold out, although it looks like there was a ticket drop that has some $250s open.
Vancouver, BC: Decent $250s still open; no pairs. Good chance of selling out by showtime.

This is just my unscientific survey of Ticketmaster availability.

did you try any of the mid range tickets? because you would presume that the majority of the seated tickets are in the mid-range price brackets.
If you can still pull up 10 seats together in those brackets then the shows are possibly struggling...

The UK dates might still be classed as a sell out, lets wait until we have the offical attendances before writing them off (although i really cannot see glascow selling out, now that celtic are playing the same night)

they are close to selling out all of the uk dates now.
looks like this saturdays wembley show has shifted a load of tickets in the past few days

Yeah Glasgow is looking a bit dead in the water, with all Celtic/u2 fans being cut from the same cloth.

I still cannot get over them letting both the football match and the concert happen, normally the police will ask for the match to be rearranged.

For several months now since after the first day that tickets went on sale, the only tickets that have been available in pairs were $95 and $30 dollar tickets on the top level of the stadium. In fact, with top level having 30 rows, one usually could not get a ticket lower than the 20th row.

Then recently, a few weeks ago, there was a ticket drop for multiple price levels in the lower sections, including $250 tickets. Based on these facts this show should sellout or be at least 95% full.

Well, the initial batch of tickets for the floor and lower level, with the exception of $250 tickets soldout the first day. Thats at least half of the stadium capacity for the show right there. When you include tickets sold in the upper level, its more than half. I don't know if it will sellout, but it should definitely have more than 50,000 people in attendance which will be a record for U2 in Texas, only to be topped by the Dallas 360 show.

not in Europe!

it's really weird to me that they don't sell out all their UK-dates

Well, think of the size places their playing and the configeration their playing in. U2 has never played to capacities this large for single shows in the United Kingdom before. The 360 configeration allows for tens of thousands of extra seats to be sold, and that makes it harder to sellout.

Could the 2nd leg be a flop ?

:reject:

From what I have heard, they are only going to play one show in the UK next year on the 2nd leg. Maybe one in Ireland too. Countries like Norway, Finland, Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, and Portugal that did not get shows on the 1st leg will be getting shows on the second leg and should easily sellout. They will also return to Spain, France, Italy, and Germany. Perhaps a couple of Eastern European shows, and maybe even a U2 show in Greece, their first there since POPMART. It should do fantastic business.

In North America, the 2nd leg will probably consist of single shows in the following cities:

Montreal
Hartford
New York City
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Miami
Pittsburgh
Detroit
St. Louis
Madison
Minneapolis
Kansas City
Denver
Salt Lake City
Edmonton
Winnepeg
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego

Most shows should do really well, but the Kansas City, St Louis, Detroit, and Pittsburgh shows may be difficult to fill.

i think they could have played double the UK shows for vertigo tour, such was the demand. surprised to see them playing sheffield, would have thought manchester would have had a show or two, unless stadiums were unavailable.

From what I have heard, they are only going to play one show in the UK next year on the 2nd leg. Maybe one in Ireland too. Countries like Norway, Finland, Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, and Portugal that did not get shows on the 1st leg will be getting shows on the second leg and should easily sellout. They will also return to Spain, France, Italy, and Germany. Perhaps a couple of Eastern European shows, and maybe even a U2 show in Greece, their first there since POPMART. It should do fantastic business.

In North America, the 2nd leg will probably consist of single shows in the following cities:

Montreal
Hartford
New York City
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Miami
Pittsburgh
Detroit
St. Louis
Madison
Minneapolis
Kansas City
Denver
Salt Lake City
Edmonton
Winnepeg
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego

Most shows should do really well, but the Kansas City, St Louis, Detroit, and Pittsburgh shows may be difficult to fill.

Hopefully the hit up Australia, New Zealand, South America and Japan. If so, this tour could turn into a MONSTER!!!!!

i think they could have played double the UK shows for vertigo tour, such was the demand. surprised to see them playing sheffield, would have thought manchester would have had a show or two, unless stadiums were unavailable.

Well, the venues they are playing have more tickets than Vertigo because of the 360 set up, plus prior to Vertigo, the band only did arena's in the United Kingdom on the Elevation tour which probably did help increase demand for the Vertigo shows a little as many people were not able to get tickets for the Elevation arena shows in the UK.

Another factor is the economic recession which has hit the UK and Ireland pretty hard.

Hopefully the hit up Australia, New Zealand, South America and Japan. If so, this tour could turn into a MONSTER!!!!!

Those shows will not come until after the band completes the 2nd legs for Europe and North America. They should be going down under in October and November of 2010.

City of Manchester stadium isnt a concert venue any more. Even Manchester's son's Oasis were unable to play there.

I really cannot see them only playing one city here in the UK next year, if they did that could be a train wreck waiting to happen.

Infact its like saying they are only going to the US to play one state.

I really cannot see them only playing one city here in the UK next year, if they did that could be a train wreck waiting to happen.

Infact its like saying they are only going to the US to play one state.

that is poor analogy.
the 2 markets are competely different

I can assure you Wembley II did sell out. I was at the box office around 8 PM and was offered the very last 2 £30 tickets but they were so far apart we turned them down. We went back later and with only one person in front of us in the que they announced that there were no more tickets in any price cat. There were still some second hand tickets avaialble at that point. We didn't buy and stayed outside. Untill the very last moment people were asking for spare tickets more than tryijng to sell them.

On a sidenote: the sound outside was better than inside!

why no sellouts in atl, raleigh, etc

Very lucky to catch U2 opening night in Barcelona. Going next week to Atlanta show. However just wondering, U2 could not or least looks like they will not be selling out RaleigH, Atlanta, Charlottesville, Houston, maybe Dallas, Phoenix? Just wondering if fans in these cities could speculate or suggest reason. Don't believe ecomony is excuse as economy was doing much worse when tix first went on sale than at the present time. Every show, arguably has been sold out up until DC. Next sellout is in Vegas, LA, Vancouver. It's kind of disappointing to be bringing 2 first timers to u2 in Atlanta and from what I've heard from friend at Ticketmaster, see thousands of empty seats. Other than Miami, not sure why U2 would want to add any other southern city to next year's return to States.

Back
Top Bottom