What are U2's ticket sales in the US ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just because i was silly enough to doesn't mean everyone else is!

yeah. given they pulled that stunt when the third show in sydney wasn't played to maximum capacity (aka, wasn't sold out) i'd like to see how they swing it. it's awfully anal not calling a show a sellout when the only remaining seats are in the highest level with double letters as row numbers, but we'll see.

Psh, you're not a real U2 fan if you haven't destroyed your credit rating in order to see the band in Bumfuck, Alabama.

Oh man, claiming Sydney III as a sellout is a bad joke, the stadium had large sections visibly empty, sections that were full to capacity at the first two gigs.

The way I see it, if 10,000 seats you could've sold are sitting there empty, that's not a sellout, no matter how you spin it. Claiming a technical sellout just to look good is silly.

bkgmar

I can only add that for Atlanta if you check Ticketmaster you can get blocks of tix in upper, lower and mezz level. It does look like Tampa and Dallas are almost sellouts. I can't explain the consistency of why most of the Tour has been a sellout but for a southern cities. U2 plaed a lot of weeknights in Eurpeo and have played a few here and, at least according to U2'S website, sold out those shows.

After reading posts, I guess shouldn't care about empty seats, just enjoy the show. btw: also like NLOTH, don't think that explains lackluster ticket sales in some cites.

just like the Popmart shows I saw: who cares if 3/4 of my section was empty- I was having the time of my life and I loved the music...the band aren't complaining either, and we're constantly thanked for "giving them a great life, etc." From video I've seen of this tour the venues seem to be a HELL of a lot more full than Popmart (just an observation)

I can only add that for Atlanta if you check Ticketmaster you can get blocks of tix in upper, lower and mezz level. It does look like Tampa and Dallas are almost sellouts. I can't explain the consistency of why most of the Tour has been a sellout but for a southern cities. U2 plaed a lot of weeknights in Eurpeo and have played a few here and, at least according to U2'S website, sold out those shows.

After reading posts, I guess shouldn't care about empty seats, just enjoy the show. btw: also like NLOTH, don't think that explains lackluster ticket sales in some cites.

I personally wouldnt class any ticket sales this tour as being "lackluster", at least wait until show day to see how the crowd looks, you could buy tickets for cardiff pretty much right until showtime, yet from what i seen it looked pretty full (yes i was there).

I think many of these "southern" shows are intimating because of them being on weeknights and the commute it takes for a majority of the fans to get to the concert. Lot of people can't afford 3 hr travel time (6 hr. weeknight), $30 parking, and $$$ for tickets right now.

As for Atlanta, this is a city who doesn't even attend Braves, Falcons, or Hawks games. The Hawks made the playoffs the last 2 years for the 1st time in years and didn't even sell out those games. U2 not selling out the Georgia Dome is more of a reflection of the city and not U2 the band.

If U2 has 75% or more people in the stands for these string of shows I would think of it as a success.

PS
NLOTH is a great ALBUM.

Atlanta usually gets two shows during a tour, but since they are playing several cities in the Southeast, I think the demand is not as high to see them here. I also blame it on being a week night show. I am very curious to see how many empty seats I see in the dome while I am on the pitch.

No sell outs for the Hawks or Falcons? Really? I have been to several games that have sold out. U2 has played to sold out crowds here before.

Atlanta usually gets two shows during a tour [...] U2 has played to sold out crowds here before.

Those have been arenas, though. U2 have never done two stadium gigs in Atlanta ... and the capacity of two arena gigs like on Elevation or Vertigo wouldn't sell out the Georgia Dome once.

Atlanta usually gets two shows during a tour, but since they are playing several cities in the Southeast, I think the demand is not as high to see them here. I also blame it on being a week night show. I am very curious to see how many empty seats I see in the dome while I am on the pitch.

No sell outs for the Hawks or Falcons? Really? I have been to several games that have sold out. U2 has played to sold out crowds here before.

I'm a Falcon fan (live in San Antonio TX) and see on TV so many empty seats. And many of there fans talk about empty seats & the dome not filling up. Only time it was full or had consecutive sellouts was when Vick was playing. As for the Hawks, things might have changed in the past few years but I know they've had major issues putting people in the stands (NBA follower).

And, MissVelvetDress don't worry about the empty seats just enjoy the show :up:

I'm a Falcon fan (live in San Antonio TX) and see on TV so many empty seats. And many of there fans talk about empty seats & the dome not filling up. Only time it was full or had consecutive sellouts was when Vick was playing. As for the Hawks, things might have changed in the past few years but I know they've had major issues putting people in the stands (NBA follower).

And, MissVelvetDress don't worry about the empty seats just enjoy the show :up:

And I have season tickets to the Falcons and my family is originally from Corpus Christi, TX but I was born and raised in Atlanta, so pardon me for being a little protective of my home turf.

But I am not going to get into a pissing match over stats. :wink:

So basically what you're saying is that because you don't like the new album, U2 sucks.

No.

Now, now.... They're still the second greatest band of all time. But they're sucking right now.

this is what i meant when i didn't like people with very few posts since 2005 turning up telling me i like crap music.

I'll put my U2 record collection (vinyl and CDs and MP3s), memorabilia, books, posters, concert ticket stubs, etc. up against yours anytime. I've spent thousands (THOUSANDS) of US dollars on this band. Now, am I allowed to say I don't like NLOTH?

Number of posts does not certify one a U2 fan.

Although 31,000+ is pretty impressive, but don't you have a job, or a family?

I just checked on ticketmaster and tampa is sold out. Dallas, Atlanta, and Raleigh only have two sections that have multiple tickets and the rest are either sold out or have only single tickets left. An article said Charlottesville will have at least 50,000 in attendance, and DC has only multiple tickets in the $30 nose bleeds, so if you ask me sales are rather good up to that point.

I'll put my U2 record collection (vinyl and CDs and MP3s), memorabilia, books, posters, concert ticket stubs, etc. up against yours anytime. I've spent thousands (THOUSANDS) of US dollars on this band. Now, am I allowed to say I don't like NLOTH?

Number of posts does not certify one a U2 fan.

aw, why doesn't interference have a wank smiley?

I just checked on ticketmaster and tampa is sold out. Dallas, Atlanta, and Raleigh only have two sections that have multiple tickets and the rest are either sold out or have only single tickets left. An article said Charlottesville will have at least 50,000 in attendance, and DC has only multiple tickets in the $30 nose bleeds, so if you ask me sales are rather good up to that point.

Don't know why Tampa being sold out makes me happy...but it does. Can't wait for the show :)

No.

Now, now.... They're still the second greatest band of all time. But they're sucking right now.

Wow!

I'm not sure what you consider the first (nor do I really care), but that's minor.

However, NLOTH is hardly an album that "sucks". While I agree you are fully entitled to your views, sometimes views are just so "odd" that it's tough to agree with them. It's like claiming George W. Bush was an effective President.

I wonder- it seems kind of inconsistent (admittedly I haven't researched this stuff)...Some shows are breaking attendance records and others report that some shows have 5,000-10,000 empty seats???:shrug:

Not sure where you have read some shows having empty seats. The enitre european tour sold out (1.7 mill out of 1.7 mill)...all 24 shows. They grossed 188 million just from that leg. On this leg, Chicago 1, Boston 1, Toronto 1 & 2, NY 1 & 2 were all sellouts (NY 2 had the most people ever in attendance at 84k). I know Chicago 2 and Boston 2 were close to selling out. I have also heard that LA, Van, Las Vegas & DC all sold out. There will be shows that dont but this will still be the highest grossing tour in history. Additionally, one poster wrote that the tour has barley broken even. The fact is, it hasnt yet because the cost of building the stage and transporting it (750k per day) are going to be a couple of hundred million dollars. They will begin to break even halfway through this leg (per U2's management) and then they will be making some serious profit. Their average gross in europe was roughly 7.5 million per show or....10 days on the road :sexywink:

So I guess the US is the center of the universe?

Maybe you should go and see the show before you make your judgements. The new material is doing incredibly well in a live setting. U2 won't become a greatest hits band, just because some people are complaining about their less radio-friendly new stuff. If they did, that would be a reason for me not to go to more than one show any more.

NLOTH is a quality album, thank God the songs aren't played on commercial radio. I don't know how you can call it "recycled". It's more the opposite.

European audiences still embrace U2 and I'm glad they are coming back next year.

Well as a US fan, I agree with you about the new music live. I dont care for boots but damn if it isn't sick live. Also, Magnificent and Crazy are awesome live!! The NY 2 show was great and I thought Boots was one of the higher moments, surprisingly.

See, to me this is a cheap shot at Axver, who has 109k posts :lol:

However, I am convinced that Axver is actually Paul McGuinness. :shifty:

why are people complaining about US presidents and u2 playing red states? Has this thread crossed over to FYM?

Seriously people, lets not go there here please.

I'm pretty sure Chicago 2 was sold out. Unless there were 5,000 single empty seats sparatically spread throughout the stadium. There were no noticeable sections of empty seats. Believe me, I was looking for empties.

I'm pretty sure Chicago 2 was sold out. Unless there were 5,000 single empty seats sparatically spread throughout the stadium. There were no noticeable sections of empty seats. Believe me, I was looking for empties.
i had the absolute back row in the highest level, there were a number of empty seats around us.

but like i've said, when row BB in the highest tier isn't sold out...it may as well be sold out.

Very lucky to catch U2 opening night in Barcelona. Going next week to Atlanta show. However just wondering, U2 could not or least looks like they will not be selling out RaleigH, Atlanta, Charlottesville, Houston, maybe Dallas, Phoenix? Just wondering if fans in these cities could speculate or suggest reason. Don't believe ecomony is excuse as economy was doing much worse when tix first went on sale than at the present time. Every show, arguably has been sold out up until DC. Next sellout is in Vegas, LA, Vancouver. It's kind of disappointing to be bringing 2 first timers to u2 in Atlanta and from what I've heard from friend at Ticketmaster, see thousands of empty seats. Other than Miami, not sure why U2 would want to add any other southern city to next year's return to States.

The markets you mentioned are smaller markets than Chicago, Toronto, Boston, New York etc. Lets take a look at the largest attendance U2 has ever had in the cities or area's you mentioned prior to the U2 360 tour.

Anywhere in North Carolina including Raleigh - 23,000 1992
Atlanta - 53,000 1992
Charlottesville or southern Virginia - 15,000 1992
Houston - 31,000 1992
Dallas - 39,000 1992
Phoenix - 55,000 1987

As you can see, with the exception of Atlanta and Phoenix, U2 has never performed for 40,000 or more people in these area's, but on U2 360 they will!

U2 will likely set the attendance record for Raleigh, Atlanta, Charlottesville and Dallas being the largest non-festival ticketed concerts in the history of those cities.

The #1 reason U2 has not soldout in these cities is because of the 360 stage set up. Few people dare to play stadiums in these cities and no one has ever played them in a 360 set up before. The 360 set up free's up tens of thousands of more seats that would normally be blocked by the stage. This makes it incredibly difficult, or essentially impossible to sellout these venues in these cities given the size of the stadium, and the size of the market.

The key here is not selling out as its nearly impossible to do that given the market and size of the stadium. The key here is the total attendance at these shows which may be the largest in the history of each city.

So when your at the Atlanta concert, you can tell your friends that they may be at the largest non-festival ticketed concert in the history of the state of GEORGIA!

The official results should be published in Billboard boxscore the week following the concert.

I wonder- it seems kind of inconsistent (admittedly I haven't researched this stuff)...Some shows are breaking attendance records and others report that some shows have 5,000-10,000 empty seats???:shrug:

You do realize though that if you only have 10,000 empty seats at the show in Atlanta Georgia in a 360 set up, then you have set the record for attendance at a concert in Georgia's history by several thousand seats.

Personally, I'm just curious to see if any shows won't be counted as sellouts, or if they'll claim they all are sold out by not putting all possible tickets on sale and selling all tickets that do go on sale.

The way the industry has worked since at least 1977, is that all if all tickets that are released for sell are sold, then the concert is marked a "sellout" even if the maximum physical capacity of the venue has not been used.

Every U2 show since 2001 has sold all the tickets that were released. Even on POPMART where there were several shows that did not sellout. For example, Mile High Stadium in Denver, which had an attendance of 28,000 for POPMART was listed as not being soldout with the capacity at 45,000. But 45,000 is not the maximum physical capacity of the stadium, its only the number of tickets that were released to the public. If U2 had sold all 45,000 tickets, the show would have been marked as a sellout, even though on ZOO TV they played to a larger crowd of 55,000.

This is how the industry works, and is something that it is seen with all artist that tour.

The way I see it, if 10,000 seats you could've sold are sitting there empty, that's not a sellout, no matter how you spin it. Claiming a technical sellout just to look good is silly.

Its not a matter of looking good, its just the way the system has always worked. Some stage set ups prevent artist from using all the seats in a particular venue. Because of that fact, sellouts are based on the number of tickets released for the show, not the real maximum physical capacity of the venue. In fact, when you really think about the first time U2 literally sold every possible physical space within a stadium is on the U2 360 tour.

Back
Top Bottom