What are U2's ticket sales in the US ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think U2 has done amazingly well, all things considered. It's not entirely a Southern thing, IMO. The Boston shows looked to have 5-10k in empty seats total, and the upper decks looked at least 1/2 empty for Monday night. The economy is still garbage, and yet they're filling stadiums, or close to it thus far, when looking at all dates in 2009.

edit: wow, I'm an Acrobat

I think U2 has done amazingly well, all things considered. It's not entirely a Southern thing, IMO. The Boston shows looked to have 5-10k in empty seats total, and the upper decks looked at least 1/2 empty for Monday night. The economy is still garbage, and yet they're filling stadiums, or close to it thus far, when looking at all dates in 2009.

edit: wow, I'm an Acrobat

after DC, they are mostly playing crap markets for concerts (regardless of what the populations may be)

They've already hit 3 of their biggest US markets (CHI/BOS/NY). DC will have a huge crowd, but may not be sold out due to the sheer size of the stadium

A few crap markets, then Vegas & LA will be sold out at the end

I think like 4 or 5 of those "crap markets" are also shows on 'school nights' -- can't say how much, but this could play a role -- the casual fan might show on a Friday night, but a Tuesday night with kids, soccer, class or whatever, it has to have some impact.

I think like 4 or 5 of those "crap markets" are also shows on 'school nights' -- can't say how much, but this could play a role -- the casual fan might show on a Friday night, but a Tuesday night with kids, soccer, class or whatever, it has to have some impact.

I'd be going to Dallas or Houston if either of them were on a Friday or Saturday night.

This is a valid point- PHX is on a Tuesday, which could pose a problem for someone with a jerky boss or someone who would have to fly or drive to the show...

Huge venues, relatively soft selling curent album, lots of people don't really like stadium shows, questionable markets = not at capacity.

Well, not to beat a dead horse, but I used to drop everything: family, job, etc. to fly or drive half way across the country to see a U2 concert. Paid premium broker prices if necessary. Not this time. Their power to draw, their ability to fill a stadium is not a reflection of the economy as much as it is a reflection of declining relevance. If they want to sell out stadiums, they need to go back to making the kind of music that turns radio on its head, that "effs the mainstream" (to quote Bono), and not do these concerts where a full 1/3 of the setlist consists of lackluster songs from a drab album that radio won't touch. Admit it, don't you long for the days when radio stations would play "Numb?" or even the much maligned "Discotheque?" Achtung Baby was the summit folks, but they still produced great work through the 90s and early 00s. NLOTH is just recycled U2. Most people, myself included, would MUCH rather hear the warhorses, or even the obscure gems ("So Cruel" or "The Hands That Built America") than these current yawners, which no amount of dressing up or stage extravagance can save.

^

Given the quality of commercial radio these days, I'd be more worried if their songs were all over the airwaves.

We all have our opinions...I for one love the new stuff and am content with the setlists as of late...they're not doing too bad anyway, breaking attendance records and all...Just goes to show that the band can't please everyone...I for one could care less if the show I go to is half-empty- I'll still be dancing my big fat ass off!!!

not sure if this is true but in NY i heard that the tour is barely breaking even and that a lot of the shows are not close to selling out.

not sure if this is true but in NY i heard that the tour is barely breaking even and that a lot of the shows are not close to selling out.

I wonder- it seems kind of inconsistent (admittedly I haven't researched this stuff)...Some shows are breaking attendance records and others report that some shows have 5,000-10,000 empty seats???:shrug:

in all honesty, they cant sell out in places like dallas and phoenix because people here could careless about U2. People here only care about football. Unfortunate but true. Its all the reasons mentioned above combined that make up for u2 not being able to sell out in some markets. having some shows on weekdays also is probably a big reason. but i do remember getting the GA tickets for the dallas show. i checked out of curiosity to see if was able to acquire some GA tickets by the time it was on sale for general public (i was in the last pre-sale group). i was relieved to find none were available, at least at 10 AM when it went on sale. Sorry to folks who wanted them but i paid 50 dollars for u2.com and i wanted my money's worth.

I think Tampa might be sold out. I looked earlier today and no tickets came up on ticketmaster. (Yesterday they were selling the very top row of the upper deck.)

Maybe there will be a ticket drop tomorrow, but as of earlier today, Tampa was sold out.
:applaud:

in all honesty, they cant sell out in places like dallas and phoenix because people here could careless about U2.
The only reason Dallas isn't sold out yet is because they're trying to charge people $95 for Row 26 in the 400 level. If they were charging $55 or $30 for the top nosebleed rows like they do at other stadiums, Dallas would probably be sold out.

Well, not to beat a dead horse, but I used to drop everything: family, job, etc. to fly or drive half way across the country to see a U2 concert. Paid premium broker prices if necessary. Not this time. Their power to draw, their ability to fill a stadium is not a reflection of the economy as much as it is a reflection of declining relevance. If they want to sell out stadiums, they need to go back to making the kind of music that turns radio on its head, that "effs the mainstream" (to quote Bono), and not do these concerts where a full 1/3 of the setlist consists of lackluster songs from a drab album that radio won't touch. Admit it, don't you long for the days when radio stations would play "Numb?" or even the much maligned "Discotheque?" Achtung Baby was the summit folks, but they still produced great work through the 90s and early 00s. NLOTH is just recycled U2. Most people, myself included, would MUCH rather hear the warhorses, or even the obscure gems ("So Cruel" or "The Hands That Built America") than these current yawners, which no amount of dressing up or stage extravagance can save.

So I guess the US is the center of the universe?

Maybe you should go and see the show before you make your judgements. The new material is doing incredibly well in a live setting. U2 won't become a greatest hits band, just because some people are complaining about their less radio-friendly new stuff. If they did, that would be a reason for me not to go to more than one show any more.

NLOTH is a quality album, thank God the songs aren't played on commercial radio. I don't know how you can call it "recycled". It's more the opposite.

European audiences still embrace U2 and I'm glad they are coming back next year.

this is what i meant when i didn't like people with very few posts since 2005 turning up telling me i like crap music.

Considering U2 are putting very little in the way of $$ to the shows, i cannot understand this post, blackberry are paying for quite a bit of the production, every pic i have seen from the U.S. and i still cannot see these empty seats everyone is talking about, especially not 1/2 empty.

Considering U2 are putting very little in the way of $$ to the shows, i cannot understand this post, blackberry are paying for quite a bit of the production, every pic i have seen from the U.S. and i still cannot see these empty seats everyone is talking about, especially not 1/2 empty.
that's because they're not! it's been my understanding that they've been at or near capacity for every show. either those who are saying the stadiums are half-full are getting this confused with popmart (i did love that tour though! just saying), are misinformed, or are trying to rile everyone up.

So basically what you're saying is that because you don't like the new album, U2 sucks.

by the way, when you're getting down to the tickets remaining being the last few rows in the nosebleeds, for all intents and purposes it's sold out. has anyone looked around to see if there are more than nosebleeds available for these shows?

and i'm sure when live nation booked shows like norman they weren't really expecting a sellout. it would have been nice, but they don't live in a dream land like so many people here tend to.

given how badly the us has been hit by the economy, practically completely full stadiums is a good effort.

and i'm sure when live nation booked shows like norman they weren't really expecting a sellout. it would have been nice, but they don't live in a dream land like so many people here tend to.

But Ian, isn't it a moral imperative to love U2 and move heaven and earth and go into debt to see them live?

Personally, I'm just curious to see if any shows won't be counted as sellouts, or if they'll claim they all are sold out by not putting all possible tickets on sale and selling all tickets that do go on sale.

But Ian, isn't it a moral imperative to love U2 and move heaven and earth and go into debt to see them live?

Personally, I'm just curious to see if any shows won't be counted as sellouts, or if they'll claim they all are sold out by not putting all possible tickets on sale and selling all tickets that do go on sale.

just because i was silly enough to doesn't mean everyone else is!

yeah. given they pulled that stunt when the third show in sydney wasn't played to maximum capacity (aka, wasn't sold out) i'd like to see how they swing it. it's awfully anal not calling a show a sellout when the only remaining seats are in the highest level with double letters as row numbers, but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom