Week 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoovation

War Child
Ireland #10 (#5)

Finland #17 (#15)

Belgium #6 (#6)

Brazil #20 (#17)

Last edited:
In a few hours it's important to see what happens in the UK. The album needs to hold on now that Sometimes will be played a lot.

1 (2) HOT FUSS KILLERS LIZARD KING
2 (1) SCISSOR SISTERS SCISSOR SISTERS POLYDOR
3 (3) AMERICAN IDIOT GREEN DAY REPRISE
4 (17) KASABIAN KASABIAN RCA
5 (5) FRANZ FERDINAND FRANZ FERDINAND DOMINO RECORDINGS
6 (4) SONGS ABOUT JANE MAROON 5 J
7 (6) HOPES AND FEARS KEANE ISLAND
8 (7) ENCORE EMINEM INTERSCOPE
9 (9) WHO KILLED THE ZUTONS ZUTONS DELTASONIC
10 (12) HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB U2 ISLAND
11 (8) ULTIMATE KYLIE KYLIE MINOGUE PARLOPHONE
12 (11) IL DIVO IL DIVO SYCO MUSIC
13 (14) UNWRITTEN NATASHA BEDINGFIELD PHONOGENIC
14 (10) GREATEST HITS ROBBIE WILLIAMS CHRYSALIS
15 (22) FINAL STRAW SNOW PATROL FICTION/POLYDOR
16 (24) COLLISION COURSE JAY-Z & LINKIN PARK WEA
17 (13) SPEAKERBOXXX/THE LOVE BELOW OUTKAST ARISTA
18 (25) LOVE ANGEL MUSIC BABY GWEN STEFANI INTERSCOPE
19 (23) TIME TO GROW LEMAR SONY MUSIC
20 (26) OUT OF NOTHING EMBRACE INDEPENDIENTE

BigMacPhisto said:
Seems to be holding up strongly. :wink:

Holding up strongly? Look past those rosy tinted shades and see the world outside your window. U2 aren't holding up at all. They are dropping like a hot potato. The momentum has all but died and U2 won't be pulling anything up soon thanks to no Grammy push and the postponed tour.

But right now, promotions and touring aren't important for U2. They have more pressing family matters to deal with and I wish them well. It doesn't matter if HTDAAB will end up "tanking" like POP did. If it does, then at least U2 can market their next album as a "comeback" and then get the same exposure and marketing hype as ATYCLB.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Holding up strongly? Look past those rosy tinted shades and see the world outside your window. U2 aren't holding up at all. They are dropping like a hot potato. The momentum has all but died and U2 won't be pulling anything up soon thanks to no Grammy push and the postponed tour.

Cheers,

J

ok, let's compare first 7 weeks of ATYCLB and HTDAAB:

US

A 3-5-12-22-23-24-20
H 1-2-2- 5- 3- 14-12

UK

A 1-4-10-20-25-26-28
H 1-1-1- 3- 4- 14-12

Global

A 1-1-1-2-3-3-4
H 1-2-1-1-1-2-3

apparently if HTDAAB is a potato then ATYCLB was a rocket aiming at the center of earth...

LOL.

In Europe, the bomb has also much higher positions than ATYCLB after 7 weeks. It's still in the Top 10 in a lot of countries after 7 or 8 weeks and that wasn't the case for ATYCLB.

Your argument is really getting old Jick.
We all know you want U2 to fail miserably but it won´t happen. Better luck next time around dude.
Go listen to frigging Bon Jovi or Avril Bobigne in the meantime.

F.

jick said:

But right now, promotions and touring aren't important for U2. They have more pressing family matters to deal with and I wish them well. It doesn't matter if HTDAAB will end up "tanking" like POP did. If it does, then at least U2 can market their next album as a "comeback" and then get the same exposure and marketing hype as ATYCLB.

Cheers,

J

I think the album is doing just fine. Whether Vertigo wins any Grammys or not doesnt matter much because at least it was nominated, which will give the album a slight push either way. U2 have always held the mark of consistancy throughout the years and that has no sign of slowing down with this album.

A 21% drop in sales this week, despite the increased airplay and MTV play of ABOY. All indications show that my 10,000 to 20,000 average weekly sales for 2005 are realistic (as opposed to pessimistic). Moreover, Vertigo only nabbed Grammy nominations for non-televised categories and they will be hard-pressed to win with the strength of the competition (such as Green Day). So there will be no Grammy push.

Also, if a fast and upbeat rocker can't save the fast declining sales of HTDAAB - how would you expect a slow driving song like SYCMIOYO (which will be the 3rd single in the US) boost sales? By the time they release a fourth single, HTDAAB will no longer be the "in" album and it will be all but forgotten.

Sure it got to a great headstart but now I predict it will be hard-pressed to even match ATYCLB numbers.

Cheers,

J

Hmm, I don't see sales of the Green Day album suffering because they released a slow driving song (Boulevard Of Broken Dreams)...

jick said:
A 21% drop in sales this week, despite the increased airplay and MTV play of ABOY. All indications show that my 10,000 to 20,000 average weekly sales for 2005 are realistic (as opposed to pessimistic). Moreover, Vertigo only nabbed Grammy nominations for non-televised categories and they will be hard-pressed to win with the strength of the competition (such as Green Day). So there will be no Grammy push.

Also, if a fast and upbeat rocker can't save the fast declining sales of HTDAAB - how would you expect a slow driving song like SYCMIOYO (which will be the 3rd single in the US) boost sales? By the time they release a fourth single, HTDAAB will no longer be the "in" album and it will be all but forgotten.

Sure it got to a great headstart but now I predict it will be hard-pressed to even match ATYCLB numbers.

Cheers,

J

numbers don't say a damn thing (especially when you refer to Hits' numbers)...the market is weaker than 4 years ago (if HTDAAB sold what ATYCLB sold 4 yeras ago it would have remained in the top 5 from the beginning...while ATYCLB couldn't ever manage to remain in the top 20 for more than 3 weeks in a row even with the help of the Grammy and/or Superbowl and/or Tour) and as long as HTDAAD remain in the top 20 i don't see anything to worry about

Yeah, I know it. The guy is a troll. Sure not a blatant troll like Metfield but a troll all the same.
So, every now and then he has to be reminded of that!
After several years trolling the Wire forum he finally left for good. Maybe we are lucky enough and the same will happen here.

F.

xovonob now! said:
FYI: Jick's negative comments are usually not worth responding to.

fedeu2 said:
Yeah, I know it. The guy is a troll. Sure not a blatant troll like Metfield but a troll all the same.
After several years trolling the Wire forum he finally left for good. Maybe we are lucky enough and the same will happen here.

F.

don't be so rude! Jick has just a different point of view (ok, a negative point of view) but no question about the fact he's a true U2 fan...from what i've read he doesn't like HTDAAB and ATYCLB but again that's just a point of view...we can discuss: consider him as a sort of devil's lawyer ;)

fedeu2 said:

F.

If someone says my "negative" posts are not worth responding to, then that is fine. Some people actually feel uneasy when seemingly pessimistic (but actualy realistic) predictions about album sales are put forward about their favorite band. There is freedom to respond and not to respond in this forum. The guy read my points, and chose not to respond.

But to dismiss me as a "troll" and to say that my departing be considered as "lucky" for the group is a downright derogatory statement mean to diminish my good reputation in this forum for putting up well thought out posts backed by reason. Your dergatory statements towards me are usually not tolerated by the rules of this forum.

Cheers,

J

Believe me Dima. The guy IS a troll.
We have to cope with him for years on the Wire forum.
Doctorwho for instance can attest to this.

Anyway, you will soon realize this if he keeps posting here.

F.

Dima said:

don't be so rude! Jick has just a different point of view (ok, a negative point of view) but no question about the fact he's a true U2 fan...from what i've read he doesn't like HTDAAB and ATYCLB but again that's just a point of view...we can discuss: consider him as a sort of devil's lawyer ;)

Here in Portugal:

HTDAAB it's now in 9th position.

1-1-1-1-3-4-5-9

It's platinum here in Portugal. Wich means they sold (shipped) at least 40.000
Although i think they have sold 70.000 to be more accurate. Because HTDAAB went platinum at the first week of realease.

Vertigo is in 20th.

1-1-2-5-9-13-16-20

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom