Week 71 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2002, 01:54 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Hello,

The Dutch album charts are updated again. Sorry, but I don't have much time to discus everything, so I'll start directly. Here are the results of the Dutch jury (Numbers courtesy of Mega Top 100, http://web.planet.nl/music/charts/megatop100/ ).
ATYCLB rises one position to #50 in its 70th chart week. As I said last week, the Grammy awards did not have much influence on U2's record sales here. On the very quiet chart this week (only 5 debuts, of which 4 are a re-entry) U2 also held steady. Hopefully they can keep their position when there are more new entries in the coming weeks.
The total run of ATYCLB so far is:
1-1-1-1-1-3-3-3-6-7
6-5-7-6-6-6-5-6-1-2
8-12-16-25-30-36-38-40-45-48
49-43-39-39-45-42-36-27-15-7
6-6-14-25-29-39-37-43-55-47
38-65-60-66-69-80-81-65-57-61
44-41-44-41-56-58-52-45-51-50
(all information prior to week 40 with many thanks to Flying Padre Jr.)

The Best Of 1980-1990 drops a bit further as it falls 3 positions to #60. It's now on the charts for 116 weeks. These past weeks I was guessing that The Best Of... had its 4th chart run, but I was wrong. This week I got some information about the albums with the most entries in the chart and The Best Of... is one of them (full list below). The album has already entered the Dutch charts 10 times!
The Best Of 1980-1990's (10) chart run is:
86-46-37-45-62-57-61-56-63-45
47-64-63-65-74-73-53-57-60

As for the albums with the most entries in the Dutch charts, here is the list for those interested:
PAUL SIMON: "Graceland" 13 times
ANDRÉ HAZES: "Al 15 jaar gewoon André" (Dutch album) 12x
DIRE STRAITS: "Alchemy live" 12x
JEWEL: "Pieces of you" 11x
DE DIJK: "Het beste van" (Dutch album) 11x
ALANIS MORISSETTE: "Jagged little pill" 10x
U2: "The best of 1980 – 1990" 10x

The #1 album in the Netherlands is still the best of by the most popular Dutch singer of the last few years.

There are no U2 singles on the singles chart.

As for Doctorwho's request, I do not have any information about milestones for the album. All I know is that it was certified 2x platinum (more than) a year ago and has not been recertified since. However, as it was in the top 10 of best selling albums for 2 years in a row, I think it should be at least 4x platinum.

Here are the peak positions of the singles on the Dutch chart:
Beautiful Day: #1 (U2's first #1!)
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of #12
Elevation #1
Walk On #8

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Popmartijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:03 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the other country updates!

I think we should create a separate thread where one person is responsible for a given country. For example, PopMartijn, you've been doing the Dutch charts for so long now - you will just keep monitoring them.

In this one thread, one post will be Irish charts. The next post is the U.K. charts. The next post is the U.S. charts, and so on.
The person responsible for a given country will then just update that given chart for a given week. This way, we have one source where we can go to see current chart news for any country on a given week.

Now, that's not to say we should stop doing weekly updates. These weekly updates allow for discussion and other requests as well as chart news. However, in that thread for charts, ONLY chart information should be posted there. If someone posts a question there, I will ask a moderator to move it out of that thread.

Sound good?

doctorwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 09:22 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Hello,

I just got the new Soundscan information. Indeed, U2 does drop out of the top 10. Last week ATYCLB sold 56,202 copies, bringing the album to #16. Total Soundscan sales for ATYCLB are now 3,658,631.

For those who are dooming that the album is going down fast, please remember that this is the highest one week sales for the album in 10 weeks, excluding last week of course. So I don't think the album will be out of the top 100 soon, it's just that they will go to their normal levels of 20 - 25K per week.

As HITS predicted (correctly) the O Brother... soundtrack has its first #1, 63 weeks after its debut! Good for them!

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle
Popmartijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:13 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn:
Hello,

I just got the new Soundscan information. Indeed, U2 does drop out of the top 10. Last week ATYCLB sold 56,202 copies, bringing the album to #16. Total Soundscan sales for ATYCLB are now 3,658,631.

For those who are dooming that the album is going down fast, please remember that this is the highest one week sales for the album in 10 weeks, excluding last week of course. So I don't think the album will be out of the top 100 soon, it's just that they will go to their normal levels of 20 - 25K per week.

As HITS predicted (correctly) the O Brother... soundtrack has its first #1, 63 weeks after its debut! Good for them!

C ya!

Marty

I have now updated the U.S. info. above for Week 71 - however, the album charted at #17, not #16.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 03-13-2002).]
Old 03-13-2002, 11:17 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

If ATYCLB follows the same post-Grammy sales decline that it had last year, it will take 10 more weeks before it crosses the 4 million mark in sales.

Given that the album is no longer "new" as it was at last year's Grammies, I think it could take twice as long to reach this sales point. 20 weeks is approximately 5 months. If this holds, we should see the 4x Platinum before the summer ends.

Therefore, the quickest we should see 4x Platinum is by the beginning of June and the latest should be by the beginning of September.

Of course, this is assuming that there another single isn't released and that the album gradually declines down the charts as it has been doing in the past. A new single could boost sales significantly. Alternatively, if the album uncharacteristically plummets from the charts, it might take much longer for the 4x Platinum. My estimate is closer to 15 weeks from now - putting us in July. Maybe the album will be 4x Platinum certified just in time for my July birthday!
Old 03-13-2002, 04:54 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:16 AM
Only 341,369 copies to go before ATYCLB hits 4 million in sales in the USA! I wonder who will be the largest group of people buying this album in the next few weeks, Virgin U2 buyers or fans from a long time ago "born again"?
STING2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 05:02 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Dr. Who,
Popmartian said #16 for ATYCLB in his post while you have #17 on your list at the top. Which is it? Also, was the full soundscan data posted in the "Velvet Rope" forum on that site? I was not able to find it.
STING2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 05:52 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2:
Dr. Who,
Popmartian said #16 for ATYCLB in his post while you have #17 on your list at the top. Which is it? Also, was the full soundscan data posted in the "Velvet Rope" forum on that site? I was not able to find it.

It is definitely #17. The link for the full SoundScan report is here.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:01 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Only 341,369 copies to go before ATYCLB hits 4 million in sales in the USA! I wonder who will be the largest group of people buying this album in the next few weeks, Virgin U2 buyers or fans from a long time ago "born again"?

It seemed to take "forever" for ATYCLB to go from 2x to 3x Platinum. However, thanks to the holiday season, the Super Bowl performance and now the Grammy performance, the trip to 4x Platinum seems to be going much faster. Hopefully, the album sales will hold on strong enough to cross the 3.7 million copies sold barrier next week. Then it'll be under 300K before 4x Platinum!

I remember writing in this forum that I thought this album had a good chance for 4x Platinum when it was first released. Back then, a person "in the know" claimed that ATYCLB should reach 2x Platinum but then hit only 3x Platinum at best. How nice to prove him wrong!

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 03-13-2002).]
Old 03-13-2002, 06:43 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yeah, I remember thinking - definitely 2 times platinum, probably 3 after all was said and done, and in my highest hopes 4 times platinum. That seems to be about right. I really think that there will be 4 million shipped out there pretty soon. when they will actually do the audit and certify is a different story.

Looks like my highest hope will become a reality!
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 06:48 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by WHYWHY:
Hey,
I was wondering, has anyone been looking for movements by WALK ON on the US charts? I'd be very interested to see if it appears anywhere in the next 2-3 weeks, as it has SUPPOSEDLY been re-released to the US market. Fingers crossed!
Bless ya!
WHYWHY
If "Walk On" has been re-released, it's not making a dent on the U.S. charts. It is not in the Hot 100 for this week's chart (March 23rd issue) and was not in the Top 20 on the Modern Rock charts for last week (March 16th issue).

Some people are reporting signficant airplay for "In a Little While" - however, that song has also yet to chart anywhere on Billboard.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:50 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

U2 hangs in at number 3 on the Pop Catalog charts. Still under Creed and Bob Seger Greatest Hits (can someone explain that one to me??)

Stuck drops to number 20 on the Adult Top 40.

I heard the DJ here say, we have the new one from U2 coming up next, and they played IALW.

I may call the station today and ask them if it is an actual release from the record company or if they just played it by themselves, because I have heard them play it on there before.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 01:24 PM   #33
cm
The Fly

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish:
[B]I heard the DJ here say, we have the new one from U2 coming up next, and they played IALW.[B]
Cities 97 in the Twin Cities has been playing IALW everyday for weeks and always refers to it as their latest. I have yet to hear Walk On or even Stuck on this station which plays more U2 than anyone in this area.

Curt

cm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 10:24 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Dr. Who,
In this forum, all the info before Week 38 was deleted by Elvis, so you would have to find an update after week 38 to show all the weeks for the country in question. Billboard magazine would only show weeks in the top 10 and top 20 for various countries, but they could be obtained. Some countries might have the info stored on their respective chart websites but I'd have to check on that.
I was just thinking that if sales of ATYCLB are strong this week in the USA that we may say 4 times platinum very soon here in the USA. When the album has sold 3.6 million and 80,000 copies are leaving stores per week, music retailers are going to be ordering a lot of albums to make sure they fully stocked for the next month. ATYCLB could see 4 times platinum as early as April.
But I kept charts for Canada, U.K., Australia, Ireland and the U.S. going through Week 52. PopMartijn kept them for the Netherlands through that time.

Someone took the initiative and created an up-to-date tally for the U.K. I have the numbers for the U.S., and PopMartijn has kept the data going strong for the Netherlands.

Therefore, if someone is willing to go back to Week 52, then go through our weekly posts to get the updates for Canada and Ireland that would be great.

Also some people have totals for places like Italy.

As such, I would like to see one thread created where each country is presented. The only posts in this thread are data for each country. Now, if someone wants to discuss data, he/she must create another thread - as I will ask the moderator to boot any non-chart/sales information out of that particular thread.

Make sense?

Any takers willing to "fill in the blanks" for Canada and Ireland and any other country?