Week 44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also in the UK, ABOY hits the top 50 of the UK radio airplay chart this week :

Radio Airplay : # 36 (# 64)
TV airplay : # 11 (# 11)

ps : anyone have last weeks positions of U2's albums (esp. HTDAAB) & singles on UK top 200/250 ?

Last edited:
Italy: HTDAAB 41 (37).
Not too bad, considering that there are six new entries ahead bomb.

This is the complete italian chart run:

1-1-4-5-5-6-3-3-4-8-
6-10-9-8-8-9-15-14-21-17-
16-17-17-26-33-33-44-42-41-39-
41-33-29-17-10-10-18-22-14-22-
21-37-41

ps : anyone have last weeks positions of U2's albums (esp. HTDAAB) & singles on UK top 200/250 ? [/B][/QUOTE]

Week 43: HTDAAB drops out from top 200.

VALE69 said:
ps : anyone have last weeks positions of U2's albums (esp. HTDAAB) & singles on UK top 200/250 ?

Week 43: HTDAAB drops out from top 200. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ouch! that's terrible esp. with the airplay for ABOY. BUT there's been a big end of summer sale at HMV & Woolworths for certain old albums which is probably why Bomb did drop off & i think it still should come back.

Last edited:
HTDAAB disappears from Billboard completely

With 23 new entries on Billboards Top 100 Albums for Europe, HTDAAB falls off the chart this week.

No sign of the album here in the U.S. Billboard charts, either. COBL's brief 2-week run at #40 on the Adult Top 40 chart has ended as well.

U2 seems to be really focused on their tour, as they are playing very well and making a ton of money while doing it. The Edge has recently talked about new ideas for the next album, saying "it's time to move on". I'm beginning to wonder if there will be a 4th leg, too. While I doubt that touring South America, Australia, Asia, etc., would help album sales much, the band would really upset their fans in these regions if they ended the tour this December. I know nothing's been announced officially, but the Edge's recent comments make me wonder if U2 are ready to move on.

Re: HTDAAB disappears from Billboard completely

beLIEve said:
With 23 new entries on Billboards Top 100 Albums for Europe, HTDAAB falls off the chart this week.

No sign of the album here in the U.S. Billboard charts, either. COBL's brief 2-week run at #40 on the Adult Top 40 chart has ended as well.

U2 seems to be really focused on their tour, as they are playing very well and making a ton of money while doing it. The Edge has recently talked about new ideas for the next album, saying "it's time to move on". I'm beginning to wonder if there will be a 4th leg, too. While I doubt that touring South America, Australia, Asia, etc., would help album sales much, the band would really upset their fans in these regions if they ended the tour this December. I know nothing's been announced officially, but the Edge's recent comments make me wonder if U2 are ready to move on.

I would hope this is the case. It would be great to see a new album by late 2006 or late 2007, followed by another big tour the year after. The wait for the BOMB was the longest in the history of U2, 4 years and 3 weeks exactly.

I hope the band does tour Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South America and South Africa. I think they could do 30 shows in 3 months from January to March in 2006.

Still, the marketing department for U2 could at least release one more single in the USA. I'm hoping they release Miracle Drug. Another strategy may be a new single to follow any new exposure generated by Grammy Nominations or Grammy wins.

Its been a real hard time for U2 in terms of radio airplay in the United States. In fact, this is probably the least amount of radio airplay they have recieved for a single album in the United States since Zooropa and before that the Unforgettable Fire.

My coworker friend and I agree that if we weren't U2 fans, we wouldn't have any idea that there were other U2 songs released. He listens to the radio far more than I do, and he stated that barring the rare play of a non-Vertigo HTDAAB song here and there, he's heard almost nothing from this album. If I weren't a major U2 fan, at this point, I'd be thinking that "Vertigo" was now a few years old and U2 hasn't released anything in a while! As it is, "Vertigo" is over a year old.

It's really disappointing to see the absolute lack of any type of marketing in the U.S. whatsoever for HTDAAB and the subsequent singles after "Vertigo". ABoY didn't catch on big, but it was a hit on the Modern Rock charts. When U2 shifted to "Sometimes..." a major push marketing push was needed - even more so with CoBL. $$ is always tight - but why not capitalize on what U2 already have? Why not do another iTunes tie-in? U2 had their brand new color iPod, they had CoBL, they had iTunes - why not release a special iTunes only single, with a promotional b-side, for $0.99? I'm not saying U2 should do another commercial, but get some space on the front page of iTunes. Advertise that new song, advertise the new iPod and go from there.

Instead, NOTHING was done - NOTHING! And it's really sad.

HTDAAB was like a major blockbuster summer movie. It opened huge, sold well for a few weeks and then quickly fell. "Revenge of the Sith" has grossed slightly over $380M in the U.S., which will probably make it the highest-grossing movie of the year (unless we are surprised by a Nov. or Dec. release). But $300M of that was made in just 3 weeks!! It took another 16 weeks to make the rest. This is HTDAAB. It took mere months to sell over 2M, and then another 10 months to sell 800,000.

But an album doesn't have to be like a movie - it has other songs that can be promoted and become sucessful IF the world knows about them. Apparently U2's marketing team felt that this wasn't needed in the U.S.

So if they are happy with a triple Platinum album, then so be it. But if I were Paul McGuinness, I wouldn't be happy with the U.S. results right now. This was a major wasted opportunity. This album should have at least matched the sales for ATYCLB.

UK : Bomb stays out of the top 200 for a 2nd straight week :sad: Surely ABOY will push it back up :

Albums :
BO 80-90 # 174 (# 117)

Singles :
Vertigo # 145 (# 128)
COBL # 162 (# 175)
Sometimes # 229 (# 231)

I can finally tell you about the Dutch chart position of HTDAAB. There was a mistake on the website (http://www.megacharts.nl) earlier this week when they displayed the Top 100 singles and not albums. This did have the fortunate side effect that I saw the chart positions for COBL.

As for the album, unfortunately it slipped down to #48, which is its lowest position yet (it was #38 in week 28). Here's the full chart run for How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (27-11-2004):
1-1-2-3-4-4-5-6-7-8
6-1-1-3-6-4-8-10-11-14
17-17-24-28-23-30-32-38-34-28
16-14-9-5-4-6-8-11-14-20
21-27-34-48

As for COBL, it hasn't disappeared out of the Top 100 for singles yet, although it's out of the regular Top 50 part (the chart that gets publised publicly every week). This week the single drops one position to #72. Here's the full chart run for City Of Blinding Lights (25-6-2005):
2-3-5-8-11-16-21-30-31-47
?-?-?-71-72

Back
Top Bottom