Week 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fitz said:
Mediatraffic has updatd:
Bomb falls to #40 (#35).
It seems for me, that this is the last week for HTDAAB at this charts.

Good that Bomb just stayed on MT chart. I estimate sales of 33K - So total estimated MT sales now =

8,157,000 + 33K (w.41) = 8,190,000

Re: Re: Re: Re: Eurochart for Week 40

STING2 said:

What venues has U2 booked for next August? I've not heard of any venues booked for 2006 yet, can you shed some light on this?

STING2,

I get daily news updates and articles from all over the world from yahoo, which you can do by simply signing up for all news, stories, articles, etc. related to a given "key work", which for me is just U2. Unfortunately, I delete the e-mails, which usually have 10-12 links to a variety of U2 related info, every day.

However, the source for about 10% of the "rumors" does come from U2tours.com. They have a summary page regarding all the tour rumors for U2 in 2006, and here is the capsule at the top of the page:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
U2 Tour Rumors from U2tours.com

What Might Happen

A running collection of what we believe are at least somewhat reliable rumors.

Japan (early 2006)
Australia & New Zealand (Feb/March 2006)
S. America (March 2006)
Europe
Mexico
U.S. stadiums (Summer 2006)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the stories I've been getting come from newspapers, magazines, websites, etc. all around the world. The most reliable news, IMO, is that U2 will return to Europe in 2006 on what might be part of the 4th leg, the start of a 5th leg, or the 1st leg of some kind of Vertigo off-shoot, similar to the evolution of Zoo TV to include Zooropa.

A new album/EP/Best Of Live, etc., is a whole different subject. However, I just can't see U2 still touring nearly a year from now to support just HTDAAB, especially with the recent announcement that ABOY will be the last single released off of HTDAAB. None of this has been verified by U2 itself, except for apparent multiple announcements regarding the ABOY single. I haven't been to U2.com to see what, if anything, is being reported there.

Hope this helps.

Here's what's on U2.com

From U2.com:

It's Official!

All Because Of You will be the fourth single release from How To Dismantle
An Atomic Bomb.

The new single, released in the UK on October 10th, will be issued on 2 CDs and DVD.

B-sides include a new version of Miss Sarajevo, recorded live at Milan's San Siro stadium in the summer, as well as an acoustic version of the album track A Man And A Woman.

The DVD features the video for All Because Of You which was shot by Phil Joanou last winter on the back of a truck on Brooklyn Bridge - with a cast of thousands including New York cops, sirens and lots of barely believing fans. Also featured is the video for the last single City of Blinding Lights, shot live in Vancouver on the opening leg of the tour.

More news as we get it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's what U2.com is saying, and there's no mention of ABOY being the last single, but that news has turned up in several different sources in Europe, with at least 2 of them citing Interscope records as their source.

As for the single, this is one import I will be buying, as the live version of Miss Sarajevo from Milan II is AMAZING, with Bono singing and somehow nailing the operatic part sung by Pavarotti on the original studio version & live video version from B/O 1990-00 DVD.

As for North America, I can't believe that U2 will tour nearly 4 months here without a new single like OOTS or MD. Still no word on that at all, though, but COBL is history

hopefully this wont be the last single!! a 5th single for Europe would be awesome, and another guarenteed hit. and MD is far too good not to be a single.

cant believe theyre not going to release another single in US to support 3rd leg of tour.

Altough they say that it's the last single, I think it's possible that there will be another one. OOTS has been mentioned a few a times and if the DVD comes in November, there could be a single to support it. We will see...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Eurochart for Week 40

beLIEve said:

STING2,

I get daily news updates and articles from all over the world from yahoo, which you can do by simply signing up for all news, stories, articles, etc. related to a given "key work", which for me is just U2. Unfortunately, I delete the e-mails, which usually have 10-12 links to a variety of U2 related info, every day.

However, the source for about 10% of the "rumors" does come from U2tours.com. They have a summary page regarding all the tour rumors for U2 in 2006, and here is the capsule at the top of the page:

What Might Happen

Japan (early 2006)
S. America (March 2006)
Europe
Mexico

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the stories I've been getting come from newspapers, magazines, websites, etc. all around the world. The most reliable news, IMO, is that U2 will return to Europe in 2006 on what might be part of the 4th leg, the start of a 5th leg, or the 1st leg of some kind of Vertigo off-shoot, similar to the evolution of Zoo TV to include Zooropa.

A new album/EP/Best Of Live, etc., is a whole different subject. However, I just can't see U2 still touring nearly a year from now to support just HTDAAB, especially with the recent announcement that ABOY will be the last single released off of HTDAAB. None of this has been verified by U2 itself, except for apparent multiple announcements regarding the ABOY single. I haven't been to U2.com to see what, if anything, is being reported there.

Hope this helps.

Interesting information. We need to remember though that U2 has never done more than two legs in the United States on a single tour. ZOO TV did not return to the USA after it went to Europe in the summer of 93'. The band also mentioned they would never do a tour as long as ZOO TV again.

This leads me to believe that the band will be finished touring by the end of March 2006, although I would certainly love it if they went on tour in the summer. Then again, if by finishing the tour in March, they were able to get a new album out by November, I think I might prefer that.

The demand for more shows in the summer is definitely there, but that does not mean the band will take advantage of it as we clearly saw with Elevation.

I think one thing we've all learned about U2 is that they often wait until the last minute to release official information.

We will definitely not see an album in 2006. 2008 is waaaayyyyy more likely. They are soooooo slow.

So, if mediatraffic covers around 90% of total worldwide sales to consumers, it means the bomb has crossed the 9 million mark by now. I know they claim they cover 95% of total sales but as edge3 and others have pointed out, that percentage seems a bit too high.

Considering the third leg of the tour in the US and more important, the sales boost during the Christmas season, I´m pretty sure the album will hit the 9,5 million mark by year end.

edge3 said:

Good that Bomb just stayed on MT chart. I estimate sales of 33K - So total estimated MT sales now =

8,157,000 + 33K (w.41) = 8,190,000

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Eurochart for Week 40

ABOY will be indeed the fourth single off HTDAAB in Europe. Yet, I haven´t heard it would be the last one in Europe or that there was not going to be any more singles in the US.
I wouldn´t be suprised if that´s the case though, considering the awful marketing campaign this album has had in the US.

As a side note, it seems pretty sure to me the band will continue on tour in 2006. If anything, I can´t believe the fail to tour Mexico for the second time in a row, having extensively toured the US.

Mexicans really don´t deserve that treatment despite the fact that we all know how pissed off the band were by the incident with Zedillo´s bodyguards during Popmart.
U2 should remember the shows in Mexico were among the best (if not the best) ones of the whole tour.

beLIEve said:

STING2,

What Might Happen

Japan (early 2006)
S. America (March 2006)
Europe
Mexico

Hope this helps.

Finally got the UK week 40 results :

Albums -
Bomb : # 110 (# 80) - not so good, probably only sold about 1,800 so that's about 1,182,000 in total (not including this week - week 41)
BO 80-90 : # 159 (# 148)
BO 90-00 : # 193 (# 162)

Singles -
City : # 130 (# 104)
Vertigo : # 136 (# 131)
Sometimes : # 180 (# 133)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom