Week 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: hitlist

mikeuk said:
Bomb falls out of the hitlist top 50 - meaning sales of less than 43400 on this chart. Will it hold on at mediatraffic this week ? Based on this performance the answer is clearly not.

Mike

i wouldnt worry about hitlist, it has no similarities to mediatraffic (which is obviously more reliable) how can X&Y have an increase this week?, it just isnt possible, and will be shown on mediatraffic on friday. though i do think that bomb may not be in the top40 this or next week, and seems to be falling quickly in europe now. :(

P.S., can somebody please email me 'Native Son' ? dieing to hear it, have asked several times in the "where the album has a name" but no one ever responds to anything i say in there.

ybird3K@hotmail.com

thanks

ChargedVT said:
Zoovation this is the link for sales in France...

http://fanofmusic.free.fr/Site-Charts.htm

The end of year chart links are listed in middle of the page.
To see the individual U2 albums and many artist ones too click on the link beginning with "Parcours de multiples albums..." also in the middle of the page.

This site also has 2004 sales for World (Bomb - 5.81m) and US (Bomb 2.156 m) - are these in line with previous reports ?

Mike

VALE69 said:
Bigg fall in France: HTDAAB from 30 to 51.

ouch! not good...i guess it might just stay on mediatraffic chart this week & from then on i think we're looking at average weekly sales below 35K...it should still get to 9M sales to consumers though (if it hasn't already), which is pretty damn good.

mikeuk said:

This site also has 2004 sales for World (Bomb - 5.81m) and US (Bomb 2.156 m) - are these in line with previous reports ?

Mike

It seems MJDangerous's 'fanofmusic' site's 5.81m figure comes from the 1st 8 weeks of Bombs run on mediatraffic top 40 :

w1 : 84K (Japan only)
w2 : 1.854M
w3 : 862K
w4 : 840K
w5 : 820K
w6 : 827K
w7 : 317K
w8 : 211K

total = 5.816 million

Beware though : the 2004 end of year top selling albums on mediatraffic's website only covers the 1st 6 weeks of Bomb's run with 5.289m.

I think the 2.156m US figure comes from Billboards end of year chart & covers the 1st 6 weeks of Bomb's sales in US. Nielson Soundcan should do it's chart (for end of Nov 2004 - end of Nov 2005) later on this year - Bomb should be higher on this chart with sales, hopefully, at 3M by then.

Last edited:
Very great and absolutely unexpected news from Italy: bomb grabs 8 (!) positions and get a good number 14.
COBL climbs 13 positions and is now at number 14.

This is the chart run for HTDAAB:
1-1-4-5-5-6-3-3-4-8-
6-10-9-8-8-9-15-14-21-17-
16-17-17-26-33-33-44-42-41-39-
41-33-29-17-10-10-18-22-14-

Last edited:
COBL still bubbling under...

Every time I think COBL is completely done in the U.S., it shows a tiny bit of life. Radio and Records just updated their charts for this week, with a few interesting twists for COBL:

On Triple A Radio, I mentioned about two weeks ago that it appeared COBL was actually making it's 3rd run up through the Top 10, and this week, it rises from 6 to 4 with a bullet. On this same format, Sometimes slips to #2 most played recurrents chart, and if it was still active, this would put it at #24 on the Triple A Top 30 current chart.

More importantly, COBL finally shows up on Adult Top 40, which is a much, much larger radio format. Now it just debuts at 43 out of 45 shown chart spots, but it is still steadily gaining airplay and station adds. The video was a flash in the pan, there is no promotion, so this song's success, however small, in the U.S. is totally through word of mouth between DJ's and maybe requests.

Now I do wonder if we will see a new single here shortly, or if U2 plans to push COBL in N.A. as the 3rd leg kicks off. I was ready for OOTS or MD or LPOE, but now I'm not so sure. Sometimes spent a long time at #15 on this chart, and given the size of this format, it did result in Sometimes being referred to as a modest hit. COBL has a long way to go to hit 15, but stranger things have happened.

Billboard update tomorrow. It's certainly possible for COBL to make the Top 40 on BB's Adult Top 40 chart next week. Tomorrow seems like a long shot, but the song is very close to breaking through.

The Bomb is out of the Billboard 200 after 39 weeks, the chart run so far:

The Billboard 200
Date: 11/12/2004 - Run: *1*-2-2- (3 wsf)
01/01/2005: 5-3-14-12-13-22-28-31-34-20-41-48-54-39-34-44-39-39-44-57-66-71-73-79-91-109-106-138-155-148-166-187-190-164-158-150 (39/5/1 wks)

Total sales are: 2,848,000 (aprox.)

Soldatti said:
The Bomb is out of the Billboard 200 after 39 weeks, the chart run so far:

The Billboard 200
Date: 11/12/2004 - Run: *1*-2-2- (3 wsf)
01/01/2005: 5-3-14-12-13-22-28-31-34-20-41-48-54-39-34-44-39-39-44-57-66-71-73-79-91-109-106-138-155-148-166-187-190-164-158-150 (39/5/1 wks)

Total sales are: 2,848,000 (aprox.)

Thanks SOLDATTI for the report. But are you sure about this? Its incredible to go from rising up the chart to #150 to being off the chart entirely, just in one week. What did the #200 album sell this week? I guess such a large drop is indeed possible, just unlikely. Once again, thanks for the figures.

:sad: a fall of over 50 places on the BB200!

must have had a 50% decrease in sales at least

i thought that there was more chance of it gettin back into the top 100 than dropping out of the 200.:(

Thtat's reall heavy in the US. A drop of at least 50 places after three weeks of rising in the charts.

yeah, i'm really surprised at that...i just hope that it can re-enter & hit 3M (offical soundscan sales)

ps - good result from Portugal though

well, the N.American trend is reversed in Canada this week with Bomb rising 8 spots. I guess this is 'cos of Toronto gigs :

Bomb : # 81 (# 89)
City - sales # 5 (# 5), airplay # 41 (# 36)

...but, overall, this week now really isn't looking too good : Germany down 28 spots (!!) :

Bomb : # 86 (# 58)
BO 80-90 : # 95 (# 80)

Last edited:
I think that the bomb won't be at mediatraffic this week. Maybe #39 or 40 but i don' think so, there are too many drops in countries with high importance.

edge3 said:
yeah, i'm really surprised at that...i just hope that it can re-enter & hit 3M (offical soundscan sales)

ps - good result from Portugal though
I was in Portugal last month when U2 are in Alvalade Stadium. I'm surprise to see that the Bomb go "only" at #11. Everywhere during 1 week every TV Channel and magazine speak about this, the Channel 4 (the biggest Portuguese Channel) had during 5 days put the entire clip of "Vertigo" at the end of each of their television news program. The day of the show every television news program spoke at least 10 minutes about U2. "The biggest band of the world is in Portugal", "The show of the year" was the title of all newspaper when they arrived in the country.
Queens Of The Stone Age, Oasis, Jamiroquai, Nick Cave, Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, The Pixies and many others was in Portugal this summer but no one receive 5% of the promotion that U2 receive, very impressive popularity by the band in Portugal, this place (#11) don't reflect this entirely.

Eurochart for Week 40

HTDAAB slips 8 spots on Billboards Top 100 Albums for Europe, coming in at 36 this week.

Already off the charts...........I'm sure it'll bounce back in once the tour rolls around to the US though...

When I used to get the SoundScan data, I've never seen an album drop 50 places in one week. Something sure seems odd about that!! To go from #150, after rising for several weeks, to plummeting out of the Top 200 isn't right. I can't believe it. I think it's a mistake. I'd accept this if U2's album had been dropping fast and hard. But it wasn't, so I don't believe it's right at all.

Re: Eurochart for Week 40

beLIEve said:
HTDAAB slips 8 spots on Billboards Top 100 Albums for Europe, coming in at 36 this week.

beLIEve,

Do you have the same information as SOLDATTI which shows that HTDAAB is out of the Billboard 200 albums chart in week 40?

Mediatraffic has updatd:
Bomb falls to #40 (#35).
It seems for me, that this is the last week for HTDAAB at this charts.

fitz said:
Mediatraffic has updatd:
Bomb falls to #40 (#35).
It seems for me, that this is the last week for HTDAAB at this charts.

I agree - and unlikely to return unless there is a large upturn in sales in NA, which would probably require a big hit single.

Also at mediatraffic COBL falls to 27 (25) in it's 12th week.

Mike

Re: Re: Eurochart for Week 40

STING2 said:

beLIEve,

Do you have the same information as SOLDATTI which shows that HTDAAB is out of the Billboard 200 albums chart in week 40?

Yes. I checked both the Top 200 and Top 200 Comprehensive charts. While it does seem odd, there are 23 new entries or re-entries on the chart this week. Some of it appears to be associated with the MTV thing, and although U2 was nominated, they were absent and barely mentioned. Also, in the bottom 50 of the chart, 500 to 1000 sales can be the difference between coming in at #160 or off the chart. It's even closer on the Pop Catalog Chart, where the B/O also disappears.

Guess I'm not too concerned, but if U2 is "done" releasing singles from HTDAAB, then I'm not sure the 3rd leg will do much, if anything, for the album. I'm still holding out for a flood of DVD releases this fall and maybe an EP or Zooropa type LP. Something has to be coming, as U2 has booked venues here and there through next August, which is more than just the "4th leg".

edge3 said:

It seems MJDangerous's 'fanofmusic' site's 5.81m figure comes from the 1st 8 weeks of Bombs run on mediatraffic top 40 :

w1 : 84K (Japan only)
w2 : 1.854M
w3 : 862K
w4 : 840K
w5 : 820K
w6 : 827K
w7 : 317K
w8 : 211K

total = 5.816 million

Beware though : the 2004 end of year top selling albums on mediatraffic's website only covers the 1st 6 weeks of Bomb's run with 5.289m.

I think the 2.156m US figure comes from Billboards end of year chart & covers the 1st 6 weeks of Bomb's sales in US. Nielson Soundcan should do it's chart (for end of Nov 2004 - end of Nov 2005) later on this year - Bomb should be higher on this chart with sales, hopefully, at 3M by then.
I have see this only now ! And yes, it's write in te bottom of the page, they are mediatraffic numbers.

Concerning Bomb in France, many of you have say that it's a bad week because the album fall 21 places to #51 but it's "normal", it's a national mid-price compaign, look to all biggest jumps in charts, they are all albums with a price at 50% ! In consequence, Bomb drop 21 places but it keep the same sales level, over 2.500 copies sold this week. Total of the Bomb is now over 400k in France, it's really great.

Re: Re: Re: Eurochart for Week 40

beLIEve said:

Yes. I checked both the Top 200 and Top 200 Comprehensive charts. While it does seem odd, there are 23 new entries or re-entries on the chart this week. Some of it appears to be associated with the MTV thing, and although U2 was nominated, they were absent and barely mentioned. Also, in the bottom 50 of the chart, 500 to 1000 sales can be the difference between coming in at #160 or off the chart. It's even closer on the Pop Catalog Chart, where the B/O also disappears.

Guess I'm not too concerned, but if U2 is "done" releasing singles from HTDAAB, then I'm not sure the 3rd leg will do much, if anything, for the album. I'm still holding out for a flood of DVD releases this fall and maybe an EP or Zooropa type LP. Something has to be coming, as U2 has booked venues here and there through next August, which is more than just the "4th leg".

What venues has U2 booked for next August? I've not heard of any venues booked for 2006 yet, can you shed some light on this?

VALE69 said:
Does anyone know what was the UK chart position for the bomb this week?

Good question. Last week Chartsplus told me they might have some delays with their top 200/250 weekly chart info from this week...so hopefully i will get the positions within the next few days.

But if anyone else already has the info then please could you post it here. Thx.

Back
Top Bottom