Week 37

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maoilbheannacht

Refugee
Best Selling Albums in 2009 WORLDWIDE as of WEEK 47

1. Lady Gaga The Fame 4,010,000
2. U2 No Line On The Horizon 3,295,000
3. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 3,187,000
4. The Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D. 3,160,000
5. Michael Jackson Thriller 3,144,000
6. Taylor Swift Fearless 3,063,000
7. Michael Jackson Number Ones 2,877,000
8. Eminem Relapse 2,638,000
9. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 2,577,000
10. soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 2,470,000
11. Michael Jackson The Essential 2,295,000
12. Green Day 21st Century Breakdown 2,223,000
13. Pink Funhouse 2,052,000
14. soundtrack Twilight 1,980,000
15. Nickleback Dark Horse 1,770,000

Denmark : 38 (re)
Belgium (Wal) : 59 (77)
France : 73 (71)
Holland : 75 (71)
Italy : 81 (83)
Belgium (Fl) : 83 (69)
Spain : 95 (80)
Germany : 103 (106)

Could Susan Boyle end up being in the top 3 for the end of year album sales ?

Reality TV shows really are killing the music industry along with itunes.

you are absolutely right, godawful reality tv shit like american idol has fucked up peoples' taste so much it makes previous disasters (rap metal, boy bands, spice girls, disco, etc. ) look somewhat useful.

These musical contest shows like AI that decide who will be the next biggest music star in the land show that people cannot think clearly or for themselves. Might as well just go ahead and put the chip in our foreheads and inscribe 666 for good measure. If this is our future, musically speaking, we are so fucked.

If you really look at some of these AI "winners", they are so fucking boring and completely unremarkable i have no idea what people see in them. But they "won" the show so their asshole must be lined with gold, now everybody wants to fuck them or eat up their latest shit. And then you have MTV, which used to be the place you could turn on to see a cool song with a 3 to 4 minute artsy video to go along with it. Well nevermind that one. But at least we have Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift!! Unbelieveable.

:angry:

you are absolutely right, godawful reality tv shit like american idol has fucked up peoples' taste so much it makes previous disasters (rap metal, boy bands, spice girls, disco, etc. ) look somewhat useful.

These musical contest shows like AI that decide who will be the next biggest music star in the land show that people cannot think clearly or for themselves. Might as well just go ahead and put the chip in our foreheads and inscribe 666 for good measure. If this is our future, musically speaking, we are so fucked.

If you really look at some of these AI "winners", they are so fucking boring and completely unremarkable i have no idea what people see in them. But they "won" the show so their asshole must be lined with gold, now everybody wants to fuck them or eat up their latest shit. And then you have MTV, which used to be the place you could turn on to see a cool song with a 3 to 4 minute artsy video to go along with it. Well nevermind that one. But at least we have Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift!! Unbelieveable.

:angry:

:up: It is really sad, people are now pretty much forced into what they like by all this reality TV, and the "new" MTV generation, i am hoping its just a phase but it looks like it could be around for some time to come.

:up: It is really sad, people are now pretty much forced into what they like by all this reality TV, and the "new" MTV generation, i am hoping its just a phase but it looks like it could be around for some time to come.

Yep. What's even more sad is we the people are the customer, and most people i know think the industry is bullshit. But nothing ever changes, we cater to the industry instead of vice versa. If you want good music then you really have to dig to find it, unlike 15 or 20 years ago when it was readily available.

Honestly i have no idea why anyone would even want to get into the music biz full time nowdays. Your career, should you be lucky enough to have one, is probably only going to last 5 or 6 years which is hardly enough time to make any real money. Then what? Imagine if you saw Taylor Swift working at McDonalds in 5 years? There will be a lucky few that survive, but in doing so they will have had to cross genre like Justin Timberlake :vomit: or Gwen Stefani (she used to be hot, but her new music is horrible) and then you give up any credibility you might have had (in Gwen's case that is, not really sure Justin had any) in order to keep your career.

Even u2 feels like they have to have big hits to stay alive, which is why on an album like NLOTH we still have songs like GOYB, CT, SUC. Although i would easily take those three songs over anything on the radio today, but still. FUCK RADIO! Ive said that before, and this as well, the days of the big bands like U2 are probably long gone. Once they are done, they are all done, unless this messed up industry changes. I have no idea what music will be like in the future. Maybe we will all be sitting around the fallout looking out over the ruins of the city, listening to new wave thinking about what once was. Thats fine with me, i guess.

KUEFC09U2 and Mrs. Garrison ......

You are both right. It is very sad for us ( true music-lover ).

Its unclear to me that Itunes is much of a culprit. After all it lowers the cost barrier for new acts and lowers the production costs for record companies.

It does move the industry to a song driven model though.

In the US a far bigger problem is that broadcast radio has been FUCKING WRECKED by consolidation in ownership and all stations moving to a very segmented format. It makes it very difficult for acts to cross over and get heard in anything besides the market that they've been categorized in.

Playlists are also determined by a few central powers and DJ's have VERY little discretion in what they can pick. And anyone who thinks payola isnt absolutely RIFE is not looking. The form has just changed. You now have to pay a few central people (indirectly of course - a form of soft dollars) rather than individual DJ's nation wide.

For instance GaGa gets a ton of airplay and her music is only part of the equation. A large portion of it is her willingness to promote the fuck out of every radio station she appears on. Also her management/record company is tied with several other major HOT artists (see Akon) . You play Gagas record - you're rewarded with access to other major artists in the portfolio etc. Radio promotion has changed a LOT in the last 10 years here and its a complicated game of favours, backscratching and cocksucking.

It has cost many artists a lot as they cant get exposure beyond their traditional fanbases any more and now music is really not part of popular culture in the US any more. Certainly not compared to the UK .

Its unclear to me that Itunes is much of a culprit. After all it lowers the cost barrier for new acts and lowers the production costs for record companies.

It does move the industry to a song driven model though.

In the US a far bigger problem is that broadcast radio has been FUCKING WRECKED by consolidation in ownership and all stations moving to a very segmented format. It makes it very difficult for acts to cross over and get heard in anything besides the market that they've been categorized in.

Playlists are also determined by a few central powers and DJ's have VERY little discretion in what they can pick. And anyone who thinks payola isnt absolutely RIFE is not looking. The form has just changed. You now have to pay a few central people (indirectly of course - a form of soft dollars) rather than individual DJ's nation wide.

For instance GaGa gets a ton of airplay and her music is only part of the equation. A large portion of it is her willingness to promote the fuck out of every radio station she appears on. Also her management/record company is tied with several other major HOT artists (see Akon) . You play Gagas record - you're rewarded with access to other major artists in the portfolio etc. Radio promotion has changed a LOT in the last 10 years here and its a complicated game of favours, backscratching and cocksucking.

It has cost many artists a lot as they cant get exposure beyond their traditional fanbases any more and now music is really not part of popular culture in the US any more. Certainly not compared to the UK .

hammer, meet nail. You hit the nail on the head with this post i think.

I'd like to know what a true music lover listens to, besides U2, obviously.

Not to sure what the definition of a "true music lover" is, however i tend to listen to snow patrol, Keane, stereophonics, Pink floyd, arcade fire,and maybe a little bit of feeder.

Back
Top Bottom