Week 3 - Electrical Storm - NA Radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Week 3 Update

Song is continuing its move up the charts. No sign of it on Top 40 yet. That would be the major breakthrough.
Beautiful Day took two months to crack Top 40, so hopefully Electrical Storm will too.

Radio Format Charts - Week of Sept 20, 2002: (PWs in parenthesis)

United States

Alternative

Chart Position: 22 (29, 48)
Spins: 968 (779, 390)

Hot AC

Chart Position: 22 (25, - )
Spins: 976 (647, 281)
1st Most Increased Airplay

Active Rock

Chart Position: 44, (47, - )
Spins: 149 (107. unknown)

Rock

Chart Position: 17 (22, - )
Spins: 255 (208, 76)

Triple A

Chart Position: 5 (10, - )
Spins: 439 (343, 109)
3rd Most Increased Airplay

CHR/POP (Top 40)

Nothing Yet

Billboard Charts - Week of Sept 28, 2002:

Hot 100: 77 ( - , - )
(Website only shows top 50, report posted from another Interference poster)

Modern Rock: 14 (23, - )
(Modern Rock seems to include Alternative, Rock & Active Rock Radio Stations)

Adult Top 40: Nothing Yet
(Adult Top 40 seems to include AC & Hot AC)

Canada

Hasn?t been updated in two weeks (54 ? Week 1)

Hello,

If you go to the site of Billboard Radio (yep, you guessed it, http://www.billboardradio.com ) you can see all the positions of the Billboard Hot 100. And indeed, U2 debuts at #77, just behind Kelly Rowland and just before Norah Jones. U2 is also the fourth highest debut (the Hot Shot Debut is 'My Town' by Montgomery Gentry (never heard of him/her/it)), so ES does pretty well in the US.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Don't expect a report about ES on the Dutch charts before 28 October, as those charts are compiled (almost) exclusively based on sales.

Great news! I hope it continue's to climb in airplay! It would be great if this could be as successful as Beautiful Day was!

ok seriosuly what is up with the canadian airplay?! firs they didnt update it last week now they dont offer it at all!

and yet theyre bragging about it being new and improved!!! improved my ass!!!

anyone know somewhere else we can get canadian airplay chart info? for canada i mean.

Hello,

U2 is mentioned in this week's Chart Beat Bonus on Billboard. Here is the link (probably only available for this week): http://www.billboard.com/billboard/chartbeat/bonus.jsp

Here is the full mention:
U TURN: U2 extends its span of hits on Billboard's Hot 100 to 18 years and eight months, thanks to the debut of "Electrical Storm" (Interscope) at No. 77. The Irish band's first chart entry was "New Year's Day," which entered the chart the week of Jan. 28, 1984, at No. 90, ultimately peaking at No. 81. "Electrical Storm" is U2's 24th entry on the Hot 100.

"Electrical Storm" is tied with two other U2 songs as the group's lowest-debuting titles of the last 10 years. "Mysterious Ways" started at No. 77 in November 1991 and "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" began at No. 77 in November 1992. Of course, it's not where U start, it's where U finish. "Mysterious Ways" ended up peaking at No. 9.

On the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, "Electrical Storm" is the highest-debuting U2 song of the last five years. The new hit enters at No. 28. The last U2 song to debut higher on the Mainstream tally was "Staring at the Sun," which opened at No. 16.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Didn't NYD debut in 1983? If so, then the chart span of U2 on the Billboard 100 should be 19 years and 8 months. :scratch:

No, I Will Follow was released as a single in 1980. Why would it finally reach the charts four years later?

Actually, that Billboard info seems correct. While War was released in late '83, it probably took a while for the single to make it's way on to the charts. You have to remember that this band had only a minor MTV hit songs previously (I Will Follow and Gloria), so it's not like NYD was doing to debut in the top ten or anything.

BigMacPhisto said:
No, I Will Follow was released as a single in 1980. Why would it finally reach the charts four years later?

A live version of IWF (from UABRS) may have been released at the end of 1983, but I don't know for sure. If it indeed was IWF in 1984, then it would be that version, not the studio version.

Actually, that Billboard info seems correct. While War was released in late '83, it probably took a while for the single to make it's way on to the charts. You have to remember that this band had only a minor MTV hit songs previously (I Will Follow and Gloria), so it's not like NYD was doing to debut in the top ten or anything.

First a small correction, War was released in February 1983, so that's at the beginning of the year. As a single, NYD preceded the album as it was released in January. According to U2 Live, NYD was in heavy rotation on MTV when it was released and the single peaked at #53 in the Billboard singles chart. This makes me wonder. Did Billboard have a separate singles chart back then, or was this incorparated in the Hot 100 (or whatever it was called then). If so, U2 had a bigger hit then stated in Chart Beat Bonus, as the single would've peaked at #53 and not #81. If not, it still would be very probable that the single was on the Hot 100 around that time as it was #53 on a separate (singles) chart.

BTW, the album also reached #19 in its 5th week, before the War Tour had even started, so all the more reason to think that NYD might have charted on Billboard around that time.

C ya!

Marty

Man, it's so hard to get correct data when your main source (Billboard) doesn't even know what's up or down. Maybe the Doctor Who can straighten this matter up.

Mmmm

I Will Follow was re-released as a single around 1983-1984 and picked at #81 in January 1984, it's correct?

Nevertheless, the first U2 hit in US charts seems to be NYD, wich picked at #53 in 1983.

Vox

Well, thats on the HOT 100. On the mainstream or Album rock tracks chart, I WILL FOLLOW made it to #20 in 1981. Of course it was no where near being able to make the HOT 100, but it did get some good Rock radio airplay. Nothing from the October album charted on any chart.

The Billboard article is obviously a misprint. Its Jan 28, 1983 not Jan 28, 1984.

STING is correct that this is a misprint...however, I believe that the date - as in the month and day - itself might be incorrect. :shame:

Seeing that NYD peaked on the Mainstream Rock Charts at No. 2 on 12/March/1983, the highest player of U2 back then, then how did the single reach #81 (which WAS infact, I will follow) 6 weeks before hand?

NYD did reach #52 on the Hot 100 - or whatever it was called, AND a live Version of I WILL FOLLOW was released in 1984 - not the Under a Blood Red Sky Version though....

Yes! I know...confusing. But hey...this is me talking here....I'm confusing myself! :confused:

Bless ya!

WHYWHY.

According to the book "Rock Movers & Shakers" (1991, Billboard Books) U2's US single chart positions during the 80's are as follows:

May 4th 1983: New Year's day peaks at #53
(The book notes that this happens as "US dates draw superlative reviews and large crowds")

January 28th 1984: I will follow makes #81

December 15th 1984: Pride makes #33

October 1985: Wide Awake in America makes #37
(The book notes that it counted as an EP in the US and charted in the Singles Chart and not the Albums chart)

May 1th 1987: With Or Without You is their first US #1

August 8th 1987: ISHFWILF becomes their second and last US #1

November 7th 1987: Where The Streets Have No Name makes #13

January 23rd 1988: In God's Country makes US #44

November 26th 1988: Desire hits #3

February 11th 1989: Angel Of Harlem makes #14

April 29th 1989: When Love Comes To Town peaks at #68

July 15th 1989: All I Want Is You makes #83

I hope I was helpful!

;)

Kind of annoying to see that songs like "Two Hearts Beat As One" and "In God's Country" did well on the UK and US charts, but didn't make it onto the first Best Of album.

Back
Top Bottom