Week 21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ehy guys,what is your prediction for this week in the Usa?
And do you think that the tv shows on vh-1 will help the sales of the album?

I would guess and hope the vh-1 show will help keep HTDAAB inside the top #40 on BB. But I'm not exactly sure when it airs or how much of an impact it would have in USA.

So I'll predict HTDAAB will be #45 on BB this week.

My prediction for UK is #52

Last edited:
U2 #52 in UK (last week #46)

i think its time to get next single COBL released for airplay. although 'sometimes' is still on national Radio1 all the time despite being removed from the A-List. All the DJs seem to be loving it.

when COBL starts getting played HTDAAB should start to get an increase, and the week its out to buy in the shops, HTDAAB will get a BIG jump up the charts.

:happy: So....not only is The Joshua Tree voted the 2nd best album of all time (sandwiched between OK Computer & Nervermind) but my earlier prediction of #52 proves to be spot on! Now, I think this is quite good because there were 6 new entries between #4 & #37. So surely it can't get much better than this....well yes, I'm afraid it does :

As I predicted a week ago, "Sometimes " re-enters the official top 75 singles chart at #60! (This is because download sales were counted for the 1st time)

It must be my lucky day :dance:

Magic Edge3!!!!
But i think that if the uk single chart were counted the download some weeks ago,Sometimes stays in top 40 for more weeks....

"The Joshua Tree voted the 2nd best album of all time (sandwiched between OK Computer & Nervermind)"

Ok Computer the best album of all time?!?!! LOL

Nothing better than a good laugh in the morning.

i think radiohead are crap, theres nothing to like about them. so boring and all of their music ive heard (which isnt a lot) all sounds the same.

anyone know how many copies has OK computer sold worldwide?
and how many Radiohead have sold altoghether?

ybird3k said:
i think radiohead are crap, theres nothing to like about them. so boring and all of their music ive heard (which isnt a lot) all sounds the same.

anyone know how many copies has OK computer sold worldwide?
and how many Radiohead have sold altoghether?

I love Radiohead because their music is brilliantly innovative. I think OK Computer has sold about 6M (2M in US, 1M in UK, 2xPlat IFPI Europe). Altogether I would say Radiohead have sold about 20-25M.

But U2 are my favourite band.

'the bomb' in Holland : #17 (#14).

Last edited:
I like Radiohead a lot too although I´m not sure what crossed their minds in 2000 that made them release Kid A and Amnesiac. It seems like they didn´t want to be competitors for the greatest band title.

But I think your numbers are a bit off. Ok computer is Radiohead´s most popular album so if it has sold "only" 6-7 million copies worldwide there´s no way Radiohead´s total sales are at 25 million. My guess is 15-18 million copies, not more.

edge3 said:

I love Radiohead because their music is brilliantly innovative. I think OK Computer has sold about 6M (2M in US, 1M in UK, 2xPlat IFPI Europe). Altogether I would say Radiohead have sold about 20-25M.

edge3 said:

Here are the latest figures for Radiohead album sales from RIAA(USA sales).

Pablo Honey 1,000,000
The Bends 1,000,000
Ok Computer 1,000,000
Kid A 1,000,000
Amnesiac 500,000
Hail To The Thief 500,000

USA total: 5 million

Here are the latest figures for Radiohead album sales in Europe from the IFPI.

The Bends 1,000,000
Ok Computer 2,000,000
Kid A 1,000,000

Europe total: 4 million

Based on this data I would estimate these are the total worldwide sales figures for each album:

Pablo Honey 3,000,000
The Bends 3,000,000
Ok Computer 5,000,000
Kid A 3,000,000
Amnesiac 1,500,000
Hail To the Thief 1,500,000

Total Global sales for Radiohead to date: 17 million.

fitz said:
Is here in the forum no member from Belgium? Does anybody know the platinum-level of Belgium?

I have contacted Ultratop (the Belgium Billboard) and in the meantime also asked for the sales of U2 albums in Belgium.
You have to sell 50.000 albums in Belgium to reach Platinum Status.
HTDAAB is now for weeks Platinum and still in the top 10 so I am guessing it should have sold at least somewhere between 70.000 and 80.000.
He could not give me the albums sales for U2, BUT he gave me an email adress from somebody from Universal Belgium and she could perhaps help me.
I will lett you know if i get an answer..

Cheers.
P

Thanks for the Belgium Info. Do you also know about France (400-500K?) & Holland (200-300K?)

I know OK Computer is only cerified Plat in US but according to soundscan OK Computer had actually sold 1.9M in US - as of 2004 (see Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums). So shall we agree on 18-20M overall for Radiohead?

BTW - JT has shot up to #30 at Amazon (UK). So hopefully it might re-enter the top 75 album chart next week.

Last edited:
Sorry to go on again about Radiohead but I just looked again at RS top 500 albums & according to soundscan -

The Bends had actually sold 1.5M in US. So I reckon 4M worldwide (3xPlat in UK, 1.5M in Europe, 1M ROW).

Kid A was at 1.3M in US.

Right, back to W.21 of HTDAAB.......

patske said:

I have contacted Ultratop (the Belgium Billboard) and in the meantime also asked for the sales of U2 albums in Belgium.
You have to sell 50.000 albums in Belgium to reach Platinum Status.
HTDAAB is now for weeks Platinum and still in the top 10 so I am guessing it should have sold at least somewhere between 70.000 and 80.000.
He could not give me the albums sales for U2, BUT he gave me an email adress from somebody from Universal Belgium and she could perhaps help me.
I will lett you know if i get an answer..

Cheers.
P

Thanks for the info!

Bonjour Fitz,
:hmm:....strange....I've just looked on the New Zealand chart website & they haven't updated yet :confused: :scratch:

JT #43 at Amazon.co.uk :happy: (HTDAAB #86 :sad:)

Last edited:
'La Bombe' en France : #41 (#37) - Il a vendu combien, s'il vous plait? (400-500K peut-etre?)

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
I agree Squire, I've tried and tried and tried again to like "OK Computer", yet I can't. It sounds like one of the most dreadful things I've ever heard. It wouldn't even make my top 500.

I can't believe you are saying this.

I'm a huge huge huge U2-fan.

But when I listen to Ok Computer or The Bends.......I think those albums belong in my all-time top 10!!!!

1. Ok Computer - Radiohead
2. Achtung Baby - U2
3. Ten - Pearl Jam
4. Born In The USA - Bruce Springsteen
5. Joshua tree - U2
6. The Bends - Radiohead
7. The Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
8. Blue Lines - Massive Attack
9. Nevermind - Nirvana
10. A Night At The opera - Queen

Sorry for this off topic intermezzo. You probably wasn't waiting dor that

edge3 said:
Bonjour Fitz,
:hmm:....strange....I've just looked on the New Zealand chart website & they haven't updated yet :confused: :scratch:

JT #43 at Amazon.co.uk :happy: (HTDAAB #86 :sad:)

Yes, you're right. But now they have updated the charts and U2 still out of the Top 40.

Back
Top Bottom