Week 18 Various Radio charts, Video, and Billboard in U.S.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
Net music countdown has updated for 3/25/05

eTracks | 3/25/2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternative
1. The Killers | Mr. Brightside
2. Green Day | Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
3. My Chemical Romance | I'm...
4. Unwritten Law | Save Me
5. U2 | All Because Of You
FULL CHART

CHR
1. Gwen Stefani | Rich Girl
2. Kelly Clarkson | Since U Been Gone
3. Green Day | Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
4. Usher | Caught Up
5. Destiny's Child | Soldier
FULL CHART

Hot AC
1. The Killers | Mr. Brightside
2. Green Day | Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
3. Kelly Clarkson | Breakaway
4. U2 | Sometimes You Can't ...
5. John Mayer | Daughters
FULL CHART

Country
1. Reba McEntire | He Gets That From Me
2. Jamie O'Neal | Trying To Find Atlantis
3. Josh Gracin | Nothin' To Lose
4. Rascal Flatts | Bless The Broken Road
5. Martina McBride | God's Will
FULL CHART

Urban
1. 50 Cent | Candy Shop
2. Usher | Caught Up
3. Mario | Let Me Love You
4. Trillville | Some Cut
5. Lil' Jon & The East Side Boyz | Lovers & Friends
FULL CHART

Sales
1. Green Day | American Idiot
2. Maroon 5 | Songs About Jane
3. The Killers | Hot Fuss
4. U2 | How To Dismantle An Atomi...
5. Various Artists | Garden State
FULL CHART

Last edited:
1st look at the Airplay charts

MediaGuide has updated their airplay charts for last week:

Alternative format:

Sometimes drops one spot to 33

College radio format:

Sometimes rises 5 spots to 85

Hot AC format:

Sometimes rises from 25 to 23
Vertigo falls from 37 to 41

Mainstream Rock format:

ABOY falls six spots to 27
Vertigo RISES 5 spots to 29

Triple A format:

Sometimes stays at #2 w/drop in airplay
Vertigo stays at 33
ABOY falls from 32 to 38

Album Plays:

HTDAAB drops from 4 to 8

Well, Vertigo's rise on Billboard last week was not totally due to downloads after all. It may still be the most played song off of HTDAAB. Sometimes has stalled, but it's been a very slow mover for it's relatively short 4 week run. We'll see the latest trends in airplay on Friday when Records & Radio updates their charts.

If the band had released "Sometimes" and "ABOY" as CD singles here in the United States, the band's fanbase would've purchased enough copies to get both into the Top 80, at least..........but whatever, not like it would change the airplay much or help album sales......

Yeah, I don't get it. I think U2 has decided only to release CD singles in countries where it helps them get to #1 - just for the publicity that generates probably helps album sales. I can understand that releasing CD's in the U.S. to help songs chart somewhat higher but not make them #1 singles is not something the band would want to do...but there's no excuse for not making the singles with b-sides available for download - no real investment here and fans would like to have the b-sides.

I do think that the band needs to release a single EP CD here in the U.S. for at least one of the upcoming singles. The 25th anniversary single, which looks to be COBL, with the b-sides being the live R&R HoF performances, would be a smash hit and just might top the charts. They could scale back a bit and release 2 single CD's, with two songs each on both releases from the R&R Hof. The Boss singing with Bono on ISHFWILF, UTEOTW, Pride, Vertigo...and maybe some snippets from the induction speech and the band members speeches...just think of the possibilities! CD sales plus downloads plus airplay = smash hit worldwide.

I really think U2 to should fire their US marketing people and hire us. Oh well.

More radio play updates in U.S.

Records and Radio have just updated their charts, as has American Rock Radio. U2 numbers:

American Rock Radio Top 40:

Sometimes rises from 40 to 37 on American Rock Radio's Top 40. Definitely good news, as ABOY and Vertigo cracked this chart, but not for long and neither got very far; Vertigo stayed on the chart for 6 weeks.

HAC format:

Sometimes rises from 21 to 18 with a bullet and 1228 plays

Active Rock format:

Sometimes at #3 on "New and Active Adds" w/67 plays

Rock format:

ABOY falls 4 spots to 22 w/183 plays
Sometimes at #3 on "New and Active Adds" w/76 plays

Alternative format:

Sometimes falls from 28 to 33 but does increase to 528 plays

Pop radio format:

Sometimes at #2 for "Most Adds" with +42

Triple A format:

Sometimes remains at #2 but increases plays to 502 - close to #1
Sometimes #5 with most increased plays with +60
Vertigo #4 on most played recurrents with 146 plays

Summary - Sometimes is in it's 2nd to 5th week on the charts, depending on the format. It has stalled here and there but the general direction has been up. It is also already "crossed over" into every major format except Adult Contemporary. All in all, the data from Media Guide seemed to show the song could be peaking, and the Alternative Chart from R&R showed an even bigger 5 spot drop. However, the # of plays between songs on that chart are in the 5-10 spins range, and Sometimes did have an increase in Plays even though it slipped. I'm optimistic that Sometimes debuts on the BB Hot 100 tomorrow, too.

Request the song! U2's tour is going to be in the news constantly, and the opening night got glowing reviews save for one from a local paper...all the big circulations gave it top marks. Combine that with a hit song and U2 can pull a "Green Day", who is also on a Worldwide tour and has a 2nd top hit rock ballad.

BB results to be posted tomorrow. Here are the R&R radio play charts for Canada:

Rock format:

ABOY falls from #1 to #3 w/431 plays
Sometimes rises from 29 to 25 w/159 plays

HAC format:

Somtimes rise from 15 to 10 with a bullet and 443 plays
Sometimes at #2 w/most increase plays at +86, 2 plays from #1

ABOY did it's job in Canada, too, and within a week or two, Sometimes should top several airplay formats in North America, which is all you can ask for when there is no official release or CD for sale.

Last edited:
Canada's Album & Singles Charts just updated

Jam music has just updated Canada's Album, Single sales & airplay charts:

Singles Airplay Top 100:

Sometimes rises 1 spot to 17
ABOY falls from 19 to 28
Vertigo rises 7 spots to 85!

As for the other charts, I spoke too soon. This is the only one that is updated right now.

Billboard for U.S.

Billboard updated this morning:

HTDAAB continues its rise up the charts...this time up 5 spots to #34 with gold background. #36 album sold over 32,000 albums, so U2 saw well over a 50% increase in sales for HTDAAB!

BB Comprehensive Top 200 - HTDAAB same; Best of 1980-1990 rises 20 spots to 178 w/gold background

Top Internet Album sales - U2 slides from 5 to 7

Pop Catalog Chart

Best of 1980-1990 rises 5 spots to 16 w/bullet

Modern Rock Charts

Sometimes drops from 29 to 31 but w/a bullet (similar to airplay charts...Sometimes lost positions on this format but not airplay)

Adult Top 40

Sometimes rises into the Top 20 with a bullet at 19 (from 21)

Mainstream Rock Tracks

Vertigo stay at #40 after last weeks re-entry

Hot Digital Tracks

Vertigo rises from 47 to 38 with a bullet!!!!

Hot 100 (125 really)

Vertigo rises to 13 from 15 on recurrent single sales w/bullet
Sometimes spends another week at 109 w/o a bullet

Adult Top Top 20 Recurrents

Vertigo debuts at 19

Summary - Great news for HTDAAB and the back catalog. Vertigo is rising back up on the charts due to a slight increase in airplay but a SIGNIFICANT increase in sales (downloads). Sometimes is stalled on BB or slightly rising, even with increased airplay but no doubt due to NO SALES. HELLO, HELLO...ARE YOU LISTENING INTERSCOPE? Maybe they don't care about the downloads anymore, but it sure could've helped ABOY and Sometimes "sure could use them here right now." Oh well, airplay is good, which is all they really need to boost album sales.

I will post the Canada and R.O.W. BB in Week 18 thread.

Last edited:
so has 'sometimes' peaked then?
will it enter the Hot 100?

Great news with HTDAAB though:wink:

('sometimes' has just come on the radio here (UK) as im writing this, if only they'd play it as much in the US):(

I really don't think Sometimes has peaked...as it is rising on most radio AIRPLAY charts. It didn't rise on the Modern Rock/Alternative format this week...in fact it fell. However, that was due to songs passing it by or debuting higher...not a decrease in airplay. Overall, though, Sometimes is rising fairly slow on all formats, which is why a hiccup on one format can appear to be showing that Sometimes run is over. Far from it, I think, and this is how the song's run has been so far. Two steps forward, then one step back, but all in all, a slow but steady trend up the charts. The next few weeks will be critical for the song's success...MAKE A REQUEST...GO HERE http://forum.interference.com/t116900.html AND JUST FOLLOW A FEW SIMPLE STEPS TO HELP THIS SONG REACH A NEW AUDIENCE!

lparks41,

If you are really a U2 fan and still need info on your other favorite band, Linkin Park's Meteora was removed from the Top 200 album charts after it's 104th week (2 year limit) and has now charted on the Pop Catalog Chart, coming in at #10 as the "Hot shot debut" with an increase in sales. It should reach the 5M mark in sales next week. Please respond if you really need/want this info for further updates.

Vertigo still rising on the BB POP 100!

The song that never quits, Vertigo, rises two more spots on the Billboard PoP 100 to 58 after 1/2 years on the chart. It will get automatically removed after 30 weeks, but this chart position does mean that Vertigo is still in the Hot 100, even though it's been removed from that chart and is at #13 on the Hot 100 recurrents. Amazing run for a Lead Single that originally got trashed by some folks at Interference due to the I-Pod add and other "negatives" posted about the song.

Three grammies later, after 26 weeks on the charts, and as the title for the U2 world tour, Vertigo compares pretty well in the archive of U2 lead singles, topped only by With or Without You on the charts and probably by Beautiful Day for overall popularity.

Last edited:
Re: Vertigo still rising on the BB POP 100!

beLIEve said:
The song that never quits, Vertigo, rises two more spots on the Billboard PoP 100 to 58 after 1/2 years on the chart. It will get automatically removed after 30 weeks, but this chart position does mean that Vertigo is still in the Hot 100, even though it's been removed from that chart and is at #13 on the Hot 100 recurrents. Amazing run for a Lead Single that originally got trashed by some folks at Interference due to the I-Pod add and other "negatives" posted about the song.

Three grammies later, after 26 weeks on the charts, and as the title for the U2 world tour, Vertigo compares pretty well in the archive of U2 lead singles, topped only by With or Without You on the charts and probably by Beautiful Day for overall popularity.

As has been discussed before, Vertigo would have probably been a top 10 hit if Digital Sales had been counted at that point. Further proof just came today with the #31 debut of NIN's The Hand That Feeds. It reached that based on #5 on Modern Rock, #8 on Mainstream Rock and #8 on Digital Sales. Vertigo peaked at #31 while #1 on Modern Rock, #3 on Mainstream Rock and #9 on Adult Top 40. If the #1 on Digital Sales had been counted, it would have been incredile.

Good for Trent though.

1Wasnt Vertigo #1 in the USA download charts at 1 point?

I think if digital sales had been included at that time Vertigo would have been a definate top 10 hit.

I think that digital sales are also being added to the UK top 40 singles soon, which will hopefully stabilise sales and prevent songs which have high entries from dropping quickly
Vertigo would have been #1 for weeks in the UK top 40 if downloads had been included at that time, as it was #1 in the download chart for 10 non-consecutive weeks!! aswell as being #2 for 6 or 7 weeks.
In january, Vertigo had already been #1 in the download chart for several weeks, and sold more copies in 1 week to be #1 in the download chart than the Elvis re-release sold in physical sales which was #1 in the top 40 that same week! the first time that digital sales had overtaken physical sales.

ybird3k said:
1Wasnt Vertigo #1 in the USA download charts at 1 point?

That's what I said. If the #1 Digital Sales had been counted, it would have probably been Top 10 overall.

beLIEve said:
lparks41,

If you are really a U2 fan and still need info on your other favorite band, Linkin Park's Meteora was removed from the Top 200 album charts after it's 104th week (2 year limit) and has now charted on the Pop Catalog Chart, coming in at #10 as the "Hot shot debut" with an increase in sales. It should reach the 5M mark in sales next week. Please respond if you really need/want this info for further updates.

Thank you, yes I'm a U2 fan. I bought the achtung baby cd like you guys said and also the go home live dvd which was great! So is that city in Ireland their hometown or something? That made it more emotional on them huh? I like all three of the singles from "All that you can't leave behind" album that was great.

As for Meteora, I found from another source that it was at exactly 4,974,499 copies last week. So your prediction last week was suprisingly close, good job! It sold ~8,300 last week not this week, but I don't know the sales for this week. I suspect it is still selling a strong 7-8 thousand a week and it will hit 5 million at 2-3 weeks, do you agree?

Another question I have, when billboard certifies an album platinum that means that it has SHIPPED a million not sold a million right? Then why is Meteora still at 4 platinum? If it has sold atleast ~4.98 million, then for sure it has shipped 5 million copies wouldn't you think?

Last edited:
lparks41 said:

Thank you, yes I'm a U2 fan. I bought the achtung baby cd like you guys said and also the go home live dvd which was great! So is that city in Ireland their hometown or something? That made it more emotional on them huh? I like all three of the singles from "All that you can't leave behind" album that was great.

As for Meteora, I found from another source that it was at exactly 4,974,499 copies last week. It sold ~8,300 last week not this week, but I don't know the sales for this week. I suspect it is still selling a strong 7-8 thousand a week and it will hit 5 million at 2-3 weeks, do you agree?

Another question I have, when billboard certifies an album platinum that means that it has SHIPPED a million not sold a million right? Then why is Meteora still at 4 platinum? If it has sold atleast ~4.98 million, then for sure it has shipped 5 million copies wouldn't you think?

"That City in Ireland" :wink:

also there were 4 singles off ATYCLB
Beautifu Day
Walk On
Elevation
Stuck in a moment

I think billboard normally shows shipped numbers, as HTDAAB is shown as 3 million, though its actually bout 2.5

ybird3k said:

"That City in Ireland" :wink:

also there were 4 singles off ATYCLB
Beautifu Day
Walk On
Elevation
Stuck in a moment

I think billboard normally shows shipped numbers, as HTDAAB is shown as 3 million, though its actually bout 2.5

Oh cool. I didn't know Walk on was a single from that album. A lot of the albums billboard dosen't update to their apropriate platinum status I think because they are lazy.

Did you know Hybrid Theory is 10 platinum, but it really only sold ~ 8.7 million copies in US? I think the whole award by shipment thing is misleading to how many albums they sold.

lparks41 said:

As for Meteora, I found from another source that it was at exactly 4,974,499 copies last week. So your prediction last week was suprisingly close, good job! It sold ~8,300 last week not this week, but I don't know the sales for this week. I suspect it is still selling a strong 7-8 thousand a week and it will hit 5 million at 2-3 weeks, do you agree?

Yeah, Meteora should be certified 5 times. The RIAA certifications are very bad about that sometimes, they often take a while to recheck albums that have been out for awhile. Which is why every once in a while they will recertify like 5 Led Zeppelin albums at once. Clearly, they didn't all reach a new level at the same time.

By the way, what do you think of Achtung (the greatest album ever made:wink: )?

bsp77 said:

Yeah, Meteora should be certified 5 times. The RIAA certifications are very bad about that sometimes, they often take a while to recheck albums that have been out for awhile. Which is why every once in a while they will recertify like 5 Led Zeppelin albums at once. Clearly, they didn't all reach a new level at the same time.

By the way, what do you think of Achtung (the greatest album ever made:wink: )?

It's great! Defenetly one of their best. Iv'e always loved Mysterious ways, I knew that song for years and years. Who's gona ride your wild horses is good, of course "One" is one of their greatest songs. Even better than the real thing is also a plus! BTW Tryin' to thow your arms around the world is one of my favorites.

Last edited:
lparks41 said:

Oh cool. I didn't know Walk on was a single from that album. A lot of the albums billboard dosen't update to their apropriate platinum status I think because they are lazy.

Did you know Hybrid Theory is 10 platinum, but it really only sold ~ 8.7 million copies in US? I think the whole award by shipment thing is misleading to how many albums they sold.

A couple of things. To the artist, an album sold to a retailer(or as many say shipped) is considered and album sold by the artist and the record label.

Also, Soundscan does not track record club sales which occur a lot after an album has been out for two years. Of albums that are sold from normal retail outlets, Soundscan covers from 90% to 95% of them. So, 8.7 million copies sold by Hybrid theory is the Soundscan number which covers about 95% of the retail market. The total number of albums in the hands of consumers is higher.

After an album has been out for at least two years, the "shipment figure" or sales to retailers is the more accurate number to be used. Remember, even in its first week of release, Soundscan is not 100% when it comes to tracking every album that is bought by a consumer.

btw.. this is unrelated but, did you notice that number of interference members increased by 2000 in the last 2 weeks :huh:

STING2 said:

A couple of things. To the artist, an album sold to a retailer(or as many say shipped) is considered and album sold by the artist and the record label.

Also, Soundscan does not track record club sales which occur a lot after an album has been out for two years. Of albums that are sold from normal retail outlets, Soundscan covers from 90% to 95% of them. So, 8.7 million copies sold by Hybrid theory is the Soundscan number which covers about 95% of the retail market. The total number of albums in the hands of consumers is higher.

After an album has been out for at least two years, the "shipment figure" or sales to retailers is the more accurate number to be used. Remember, even in its first week of release, Soundscan is not 100% when it comes to tracking every album that is bought by a consumer.

But who gets to decide how many albums get shiped? I think thats just stupid to have Diamond awards for albums that only sold 7-8 million copies. For example Green Day's "Dookie" is also a Diamond album but it sold 7,385,800 copies in the US cumulatively. Do you honestly think it will reach 10 million units in the next 10 years or even at all? The industry can be so dumb sometimes. I know they count the albums that they sell to the retailers, but I think what people buy and are interested in is more important than shipment figures.

Last edited:
lparks41 said:

But who gets to decide how many albums get shiped? I think thats just stupid to have Diamond awards for albums that only sold 7-8 million copies. For example Green Day's "Dookie" is also a Diamond album but it sold 7,385,800 copies in the US cumulatively. Do you honestly think it will reach 10 million units in the next 10 years or even at all? The industry can be so dumb sometimes. I know they count the albums that they sell to the retailers, but I think what people buy and are interested in is more important than shipment figures.

A Diamond certification isn't done off the cuff. This contrasts early certifications. For example, HTDAAB is already 3x Platinum, but as we all know, it's sold 2.6M copies to consumers. Now, I have no doubt HTDAAB will eventually sell over 3M copies, but as of this moment, retailers have 400,000 copies of it on their shelves. These early certifications are done because retailers anticipate a big album and order lots of copies of it. In U2's case, they projected pretty well. Retailers ordered 3M copies and HTDAAB has come close to selling that amount. However, sometimes retailers order a large number of copies expecting a big hit album, and it doesn't happen. So there might be a Double Platinum album that's come nowhere near selling 2M copies to actual consumers. Analogously, some albums, like "Pop" are somewhat "under-certified". "Pop" has sold about 1.5M copies in the U.S., but is certified as only Platinum. It hasn't sold enough albums yet to reach Double Platinum, but its Platinum status really doesn't reflect how well it's sold either. So yes, there are some flaws.

However, a Diamond certification is an honor and isn't something an artist achieves in just a few months. To sell 10M copies of any album takes a long time. For "Dookie" to get that certification, I can guarantee that actual consumer sales are close to 10M copies (if not more). The number you reported is from SoundScan. SoundScan claims that about 7.4M copies were scanned at stores and bought by people. So it's very possible another 2.6M copies were sold through CD clubs - something SoundScan doesn't track. Given that "Dookie" is an older album, I venture this is the most likely scenario.

I think the certification process is fair......you have to remember that the label and artists make their money off of retailers buying their albums, so if it gets shipped to stores, it's a sale for them.

all_i_want said:
btw.. this is unrelated but, did you notice that number of interference members increased by 2000 in the last 2 weeks :huh:

That's because the Vertigo Tour Audio/Video forum requires a login.

Back
Top Bottom