Week 16 Radio Play in the U.S.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
There are two mainstream sources for radio play in the U.S., and I’ve been using http://www.radioandrecords.com/ for the last two weeks. The 2nd source is http://www.mediaguide.com/solutions/charts/music.php. Each source breaks down radio play by format in exactly the same way. The big difference is that R&R updates their charts every Friday, and tabulate airplay for each week running from Saturday to Friday. Media Guide, however, tracks airplay from Monday’s to Sunday. So, I thought I’d provide the “tweener” update for airplay in the U.S. by format, and I’ll do it again this Friday when R&R updates.

Also, I think Media Guide gets sample data and extrapolates, while R&R seems to try to track every single play at every station. Media Guide is a bigger company that tracks more than music, too. These charts ONLY TRACK AIRPLAY, which is all U2 gets from singles in the U.S. unless they actually release a U.S. single for download. CD singles in the U.S. are history it seems.

Other than Vertigo, U2 gets little to no chart help from sales, as ABOY and Sometimes are available as imports at Amazon & a few other online stores, and you might find a few imports at your local record store. Anyway, you get the picture. So, for the week ending March 13, 2005, here is how U2 is doing on the radio waves in the U.S.:

Alternative Radio Top 50: Sometimes debuts at 36

College Radio Top 100: Sometimes debuts at 98

Hot AC Top 50: Sometimes climbs from 34 to 29
Vertigo falls from 28 to 37

Mainstream Rock Top 50: ABOY falls from 9 to 15
Vertigo falls from 29 to 35

Triple A Top 50: Sometimes rises from 4 to 3 (passing Green Day)
ABOY falls from 21 to 27
Vertigo RISES from 33 to 30

I don’t expect this data to correlate exactly with R&R, but it should verify trends provide another means to get more real time data. Also, Media Guide tracks overall “Album Play”, and HTDAAB is at #12 on the Top 50 on the NC (National Coverage) Chart. It was at #7 last week and peeked at #1 apparently. Triple A format plays lots of album cuts regardless of what’s released, and this “album tracking” covers Triple A.

U2 looks to be well represented on the various Airplay formats while staying out of the Hot 100 BB, or the Pop Music Format, which is the largest single format of radio. However, if you add up all the plays U2 is getting on these other formats, they are easily getting as much exposure as many artists are who dominate the Pop Music scene. Vertigo did make it to the Pop format, though, and Sometimes might, too. That is the perception of having a “hit single”, but that’s not really the case. Vertigo was the most played song in the U.S. at one time if you add up all the plays per format at its peak.

Sometimes is doing fairly well and should give the album a boost, although the market is just pathetic. The tour, the HOF, and Sometimes should all be enough to get HTDAAB back into the top 40 IMO, but that may only mean a couple thousand more sales per week. It really needs to jump all the way into the Top 15 or so if albums sales are going to see a significant benefit.

Are all of you getting sick of information overload from me? Yeah, I’m still down from the 2 back surgeries, so that’s why I’ve got so much time on my hands. Going stir crazy…thank God for U2’s music to get me through it!

Sales will go up and stabilize

Yes, I think HTDAAB will pass ATYCLB in sales, and yes, this is a good amount of airplay for Sometimes in the U.S., especially given the total lack of promotion. The video is getting more airplay on VH-1 than anything I've ever seen...it will be at #1 there in 2 or 3 weeks, I'm sure. Also, as Popmartjin first pointed out, U2 now has 3 songs getting decent airplay in the U.S., with Sometimes attracting a whole new audience (potentially) while Vertigo and ABOY have gotten the rock audience.

As for sales, again, ATYCLB had shipped, i.e. sold, 10M copies after Christmas of 2001. It got an additional bump of 2M in sales with the Grammy effect and 9/11 effect in 2002. So it took ATYCLB 13 months to get to 10M shipped, and then they got a 3rd wind in 2002. HTDAAB is already at 9M shipped, and we have a long way to go with the tour, singles, awards, etc.

Plus, while I like Sometimes, ABOY, and Vertigo, I also like MD, COBL, Crumbs, OOTS, etc., and our own Interference polls put MD and COBL neck and neck for top song off the album. I look for one or both of those songs to be worldwide hits.

U2 has never had an opening week of 840K in the U.S., or 1.8M+ in the world, for that matter. The sales rate HAD to decline, and compared against such an unbelievable start, it looks like the album is disappearing. I know I've said it over and over, but we are also looking at a VERY different market for CD sales in 2005 than we were in 2000. Sales are pathetic across the board! If HTDAAB never sold another copy, I would still classify it as a smashing success in today's industry with 9M sold...3M in U.S.

Last edited:
beLIEve said:
Are all of you getting sick of information overload from me? Yeah, I’m still down from the 2 back surgeries, so that’s why I’ve got so much time on my hands. Going stir crazy…thank God for U2’s music to get me through it!

Not sick of it at all. I love reading all the information you post. I don't often have that much to say, but your posts are great. Don't get well too fast - I'll miss your posts when you're up and about. :wink:

Video premiere

Here's a rare "official" announcement about Sometimes. Oddly enough, this comes from Much Music just as ABOY enters the Top 10 (#9) on their weekly countdown and #2 on "Much More Music's" weekly countdown. Video chart updates will come with radio airplay updates Friday.

http://www.muchmusic.com/news/story.asp?id=15734#Scene_1

P.S. MTV just updated their Top 20 countdown, and ABOY, which rose from 14 to 12 last week, has dropped out of the Top 20 and off the MTV & MTV2 playlist. These charts are manipulated, to be sure, but my guess is that the Sometimes video is a good one that's getting tons of airplay on the competition, and MTV will have it in their rotation soon. We'll see if that's the case, but if it is, it bodes well that a U2 song/video is seen as such a hot item. Both Vertigo and ABOY did well on video channels, which have never been U2's strong point. Sometimes should continue this trend, as it's the 3rd decent video off the same album.

Last edited:
Re: Video premiere

beLIEve said:
Both Vertigo and ABOY did well on video channels, which have never been U2's strong point.

They've actually always done quite well........."Elevation" and "Beautiful Day" were two of the most played videos ever on MTV2 and VH1 from what I saw.........as long as either of those networks were playing vids, those two seemed to show up. That's the interesting thing about the Billboard charts.......even though they now include downloads along with radio play, they're still incomplete due to video play......."Elevation" didn't make The Top 100, but every rock fan knows the song.

Yeah, you're right about the airplay. The BD video was pretty good, and the Vertigo video was OK. I hated the Elevation video and the Stuck Video, and Walk On was way too good of a song for the weak effort they put into it, IMO. I won't go into my thoughts about Discotheque.

For HTDAAB, though, the ABOY video was pretty good, if not simple, and the same can be said for Sometimes. All in all, I don't think U2 video's are their strong suit, except for AB cuts, when U2 was all about video...they were too cool back then. But even today, you're right, they do get a decent amount of airplay, especially on VH-1, where BD and Vertigo hit #1. ABOY charted all the way to #12 on MTV...just 3 spots lower than where it went on VH-1. Guess I was talking about the quality of their videos rather than the airplay.

I still think videos matter, as a great song + a good video = good exposure. A bad video (ala Stuck and Elevation) can ruin a song for me personally. Can't dismiss their importance, though, as U2 won a Grammy for the Vertigo video!

I like both "Stuck" videos........particularly the football one (as it is kinda funny and full of U2 references)........I agree that they have had some weak vids and such of recent memory.........I really have no idea what they were thinking with the "Vertigo" video.........."ABOY" was better, but the crowd noise in it is kind of distracting and takes away from the song........"Sometimes", luckily, is a very well done video........it's probably been picking up so much steam on VH1 just because they're glad that the band has finally delivered another great video....

Billboard Week 16 update:

Billboard Hot 200 albums

HTDAAB drops from 48 to 54*

*(#40 album sold 22K, #62 sold 16K, est HTDAAB sold 18K to 20K...albums 20-62 separated by an average of only 295 albums each!)

HTDAAB rise from 11 to 8 on Electronic Album sales

Pop Catalog Albums

Best of 1980-1990 re-enters the Top 50 at 44

Adult Rock Top 40

Sometimes rises one spot to 23 w/increased airplay
Vertigo drops on spot to 24

Modern Rock Top 40

Sometimes climbs from 39 to 31 w/increased airplay

Mainstream Rock Top 40

ABOY falls from 27 to 31

Hot 100 Single Recurrents

Vertigo drops one spot to 15

I am sure Vertigo is still on the Hot 100 Airplay only chart, but it's not updated. Another footnote...Joe Cocker is at 33 with a bullet on the Adult Contemporary chart with ONE. Haven't heard the studio version...but it can only be better than the live attempt on Leno.

Airplay charts for U.S. to follow tonight or tomorrow, along with video charts. The album is not on a freefall, and Sometimes is climbing the charts slowly - almost on purpose by U2 IMO. The R&R HOF effect probably won't help sales for another 2 weeks, although the publicity already has the back catalog rising fast, especially on Amazon.com. Like I said earlier, I expect HTDAAB back in the Top 40 by the end of March, and if we get a smash single to go along with the tour, it could rise into the Top 20, which is where the real sales are today (relatively speaking).

Overall, the industry trend continues...

Album units, current chart week: 10.80 million units

DOWN 11% from last issue's charts: 12.14 million units

DOWN 7% from same week, 2004: 11.62 million units

This week: The top two albums sell more than 100,000 copies.

This week last year on The Billboard 200: Norah Jones' "Feels Like Home" clung to No. 1 for its fourth week (204,000 units). The Hot Shot Debut was Cee-Lo's "Cee-Lo Green ... Is the Soul Machine" at No. 13 (56,000 units). The top four titles surpassed 100,000 units.

They should rerelease "Gloria" as a single.........I think that would help the album......

and even if it doesn't.......:drool:

A drop out of the top 50 is not alarming. U2 are just fulfilling their inescapable chart destiny.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
A drop out of the top 50 is not alarming. U2 are just fulfilling their inescapable chart destiny.

Cheers,

J
jick no more please, you are REALLY starting to get on my nerves now, why do you always have to be such a troll? almost 80% if your posts are negative

Soundscan Top 200 - Issue Date: March 26, 2005

tw artist album tw sales % lw sales total
54 U2 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOM 18,822 -19 23,367 2,534,292

US Summary to date:
from 15/11/2004 to 21/11/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 04/12/2004 - Week 00 - B200: -- / Sales: 3,206
from 22/11/2004 to 28/11/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 11/12/2004 - Week 01 - B200: 1 / Sales: 839,724
from 29/11/2004 to 05/12/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 18/12/2004 - Week 02 - B200: 2 / Sales: 288,466
from 06/12/2004 to 12/12/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 25/12/2004 - Week 03 - B200: 2 / Sales: 280,332
from 13/12/2004 to 19/12/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 01/01/2005 - Week 04 - B200: 5 / Sales: 299,645
from 20/12/2004 to 26/12/2004 - ISSUE DATE: 08/01/2005 - Week 05 - B200: 3 / Sales: 350,013
from 27/12/2004 to 02/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 15/01/2005 - Week 06 - B200: 14 / Sales: 94,815
from 03/01/2005 to 09/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 22/01/2005 - Week 07 - B200: 12 / Sales: 59,233
from 10/01/2005 to 16/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 29/01/2005 - Week 08 - B200: 13 / Sales: 48,557
from 17/01/2005 to 23/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 05/02/2005 - Week 09 - B200: 22 / Sales: 35,907
from 24/01/2005 to 30/01/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 12/02/2005 - Week 10 - B200: 28 / Sales: 34,370
from 31/01/2005 to 06/02/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 19/02/2005 - Week 11 - B200: 31 / Sales: 35,052
from 07/02/2005 to 13/02/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 26/02/2005 - Week 12 - B200: 34 / Sales: 39,648
from 14/02/2005 to 20/02/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 05/03/2005 - Week 13 - B200: 20 / Sales: 56,692
from 21/02/2005 to 27/02/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 12/03/2005 - Week 14 - B200: 41 / Sales: 26,532
from 28/02/2005 to 05/03/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 19/03/2005 - Week 15 - B200: 48 / Sales: 23,367
from 06/03/2005 to 12/03/2005 - ISSUE DATE: 26/03/2005 - Week 16 - B200: 54 / Sales: 18,882

Total: 2.534,292

R&R Radio Play Update

Thanks again Soldatti!

Before going to U.S. Airplay, here are some International charts from Billboard that were updated today, March 26 edition, unless otherwise noted. It's very limited information as it looks at the Top 5 or 10 in the listed Country, or Europe (great #'s!!!), but since I pay $5/mo. for it, I might as well put the info out for you, too:

HITS OF THE WORLD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Argentina - HTDAAB falls one spot to 7 (March 19 BB issue)
Australia - Not in Top 10 (March 19 BB issue)
Austria - Not in Top 5 (March 19 BB issue)
Belgium - Not in Top 5 (March 19 BB issue)
Denmark - Sometimes debuts at #2 (March 19 BB issue)
France - Not in Top 10 (March 19 BB issue)
Germany - Not in Top 10 (March 19 BB issue)
Ireland - Not in Top 5 (March 19 BB issue)
Italy - Sometimes drops from 2 - 4, HTDAAB steady at 8
Japan - Not in Top 10 (March 19 BB issue)
Netherlands - Not in Top 5 (March 19 BB issue)
Norway - Not in Top 5 (March 19 BB issue)
Portugal - Not in Top 10 (March 19 BB issue)
Spain - Sometimes drops from 2 - 4
Sweden - Not in Top 5 (March 19 BB issue)
Switzerland - Not in Top 5 (March 19 BB issue)

EUROPEAN CHARTS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
European Top 100 Albums - HTDAAB rises from 7 to 4 on this updated chart!
Eurochart Hot 100 Singles - Sometimes goes from 26 to 24 on this updated chart

U.S. Airplay Charts by Format:

Billboard Pop 100 Airplay - Vertigo at 63 (March 19 issue)

Triple A Radio Format:

Sometimes rises from 6 to 5 with a bullet
ABOY falls from 15 to 20
Vertigo #3 on "Most Played Recurrents"

Alternative Radio Format:

Sometimes rises from 40 to 31 with a bullet

Active Rock Format:

ABOY drops from 36 to 41
Sometimes #5 on "AR New and Active"

Rock Format:

ABOY falls from 9 to 12

Hot Adult Cont/Rock Format:

Sometimes rises from 23 to 22 with a bullet

Video charts should update tomorrow...MTV update already posted

Last edited:
beLIEve, is the drop in the US a reason to worry do you think? is this the end of HTDAAB over in the states?

No, not really

No, I am not worried about the album in the U.S. These albums are separated by so little...HTDAAB could just as easily gone up 10 spots this week. If the tour and the single(s) can get sales to an average of 25K/week, and then looking ahead to the 2nd leg during the Christmas selling season, Grammy nominations, Awards, etc., that should put a 600K-750K premium over the 25K/week I'm looking for by April. That results in 100K/month for the next 12 months, plus the premium, which I think is conservative. The result...4.5M in sales this time next year in the U.S. alone.

As for the R.O.W, nice rebound up to #4 on the European Top 100 albums this week! I think HTDAAB will again crack the top 10 on the Global chart tonight. So, worldwide, if the album simply averages 100K/week over the same period, we'll be at 13.5M in total sales this time next year as well.

Hell, even if I've over estimated by 50%, HTDAAB will sell as many or more than ATYCLB in an industry that has scene a 35% drop in ave CD sales since 2000. That's an amazing accomplishment. Jick seems thrilled about a minor drop in the U.S., but I wonder how he feels about U2 rising to #4 on the Eurocharts? That's a positive development, though, so I haven't seen anything from him yet. Also, he needs to come out of the closet and admit he's Henry Rollins trolling at Interference.com, and he secretly loves U2.

Now, do you understand what I meant a couple of months ago?
Don´t waste your time on such a loser.

KUEFC09U2 said:
jick no more please, you are REALLY starting to get on my nerves now, why do you always have to be such a troll? almost 80% if your posts are negative

Re: R&R Radio Play Update

beLIEve said:
HITS OF THE WORLD
Portugal - Not in Top 10 (March 19 BB issue)

That information isn't correct. In fact, HTDAAB climbed 3 spots to #9 position. And Sometimes is still #1 here in Portugal. Im talking about Week 16 of course. Unless we are talking about different things. :|

Last edited:
Re: Re: R&R Radio Play Update

Squire said:

That information isn't correct. In fact, HTDAAB climbed 3 spots to #9 position. And Sometimes is still #1 here in Portugal. Im talking about Week 16 of course. Unless we are talking about different things. :|

That info was straight from BB, which is not necessarily the right source outside the U.S. And it's not updated for this week. I just cut and pasted the info.

Last edited:
The staying power of Vertigo

Billboard's "Pop 100" is very similar to the "Hot 100", with the biggest difference being that the Pop 100 allows a song to chart for 30 weeks before removing it if it's dropped below the top 30.

We all know that had downloads been counted when Vertigo was at it's airplay peak, it would have been in the top 10 of the Hot 100. So, it joins a select group of songs that have broken through on the U.S. Hot 100 and actually cracked the top 10.

That alone makes it one of their most successful singles. However, it's longevity may make it U2's biggest U.S. single ever. As of today's BB update, Vertigo slides just 2 spots to #65!!! That's exactly six months after it hit the chart. Also, Vertigo spent 5 weeks at #2 on the Global Chart. That format has only been around for about 7 years, and U2's previous best was BD at #5. Sometimes is at # 13 and should rise this week.

Still, to this point, Vertigo is the most successful single for U2 since the AB days. I know that WOWY went to #1 as did ISHFWILF from JT, but that was only in the U.S. I'm sure both songs did well in the R.O.W., but I wonder...if the Global chart had existed back then if U2 would have had a better performing song on the charts than Vertigo?

I've come to really like the song, and I think because of the I-pod commercial and what seem like throwaway lyrics, it gets underestimated by us "die-hard" fans. I myself may have underestimated the song's popularity, which may have had a lot more to do with the amazing opening week than I ever realized. Anway, I'm sure Vertigo will get kicked off the chart after 30 weeks, but a 7 month run on this chart is no small feat!

BILLBOARD MARCH 26, 2004 POP 100
www. b i l l b o a rd . c o m • www. b i l l b o a r d . b i z 51

Songs with the greatest airplay and/or sales gains this week.  2005, VNU Business Media, Inc. and Nielsen SoundScan, Inc. All rights reserved. The top Pop singles & tracks, according to mainstream top 40 radio audience impressions measured by Nielsen Broadcast Data Systems, and sales data compiled by Nielsen SoundScan. Songs are removed from the Pop 100 if they have been on the chart for more than 30 weeks and rank below 30. Here is the chart through Vertigo.

THIS WEEK LAST WEEK WKS. ON CHART TITLE
ARTIST (IMPRINT/LABEL)

100 69 4 Be Still My Heart
THE POSTAL SERVICE (SUB POP)
99 88 6 Such Great Heights
THE POSTAL SERVICE (SUB POP)
98 — 1 Don't Cha
TORI ALAMAZE (ROCKHILL/UNIVERSAL/UMRG)
97 93 3 The Widow
THE MARS VOLTA (GOLDSTANDARDLABS/STRUMMER/UMRG)
96 97 24 Fall To Pieces
VELVET REVOLVER (RCA/RMG)
95 — 1 Baby I'm Back
BABY BASH FEAT. AKON (LATIUM/UNIVERSAL/UMRG)
94 — 1 Not That Kinda Girl
JOJO (DA FAMILY/BLACKGROUND/UMRG)
93 94 2 Still Tippin'
MIKE JONES (SWISHAHOUSE/ASYLUM/WARNER BROS.)
92 86 26 Oye Mi Canto
N.O.R.E. (ROC-A-FELLA/DEF JAM/IDJMG)
91 70 8 Over
LINDSAY LOHAN (CASABLANCA/UNIVERSAL/UMRG)
90 90 9 Mud On The Tires
BRAD PAISLEY (ARISTA NASHVILLE)
89 84 27 Baby It's You
JOJO FEAT. BOW WOW (DA FAMILY/BLACKGROUND/UMRG)
88 74 4 Dragostea Din Tei (Ma Ya Hi)
DAN BALAN FEAT. LUCAS PRATA (ULTRA)
87 96 2 Better Together
JACK JOHNSON (JACK JOHNSON/BRUSHFIRE/UMRG)
86 — 1 Just A Lil Bit
50 CENT (SHADY/AFTERMATH/INTERSCOPE)
85 83 6 Pieces
SUM 41 (ISLAND/IDJMG)
84 85 3 Do You Believe In Magic
ALY & A.J. (HOLLYWOOD)
83 78 5 Okay
NIVEA FEAT. LIL JON & YOUNGBLOODZ (JIVE/ZOMBA)
82 89 2 Chariot
GAVIN DEGRAW (J/RMG)
81 — 1 Why Do You Love Me
GARBAGE (ALMO SOUNDS/GEFFEN)
80 75 4 U Don't Know Me
T.I. (GRAND HUSTLE/ATLANTIC)
79 76 25 Just Lose It
EMINEM (SHADY/AFTERMATH/INTERSCOPE)
78 71 4 Do Somethin'
BRITNEY SPEARS (JIVE/ZOMBA)
77 — 1 Piggy Bank
50 CENT (SHADY/AFTERMATH/INTERSCOPE)
76 82 7 Nothin' To Lose
JOSH GRACIN (LYRIC STREET)
75 72 13 I'm Not Okay (I Promise)
MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE (REPRISE)
74 80 7 You And Me
LIFEHOUSE (GEFFEN)
73 — 6 Gasolina
DADDY YANKEE (EL CARTEL/VI)
72 54 6 Jerk It Out
CAESARS (ASTRALWERKS/EMC)
71 56 7 Shut Up
SIMPLE PLAN (LAVA)
70 — 2 E-Pro
BECK (INTERSCOPE)
69 68 24 What You Waiting For?
GWEN STEFANI (INTERSCOPE)
68 77 8 Baby Girl
SUGARLAND (MERCURY)
67 52 18 Only U
ASHANTI (THE INC./DEF JAM/IDJMG)
66 81 4 1 Thing
AMERIE (RISE/COLUMBIA)

65 63 24 Vertigo
U2 (INTERSCOPE)

Last edited:
Video update for week 16:

Sometimes rises from 18 to 14 on VH-1 Top 20
ABOY rises from 9 to 8 on Much Music's Top 20
ABOY stays at #2 on Much More Music's Top 20

ABOY goes from 12 to out of the Top 20 at MTV, and it's removed from MTV and MTV2 playlists. No mention of Sometimes. On Much Music, however, Sometimes premieres this week on March 17.

Back
Top Bottom