Week 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poland:

Week 16

NLOTH:
1-1-1-1-2-3-3-5-5-6-8-10-16-21-17 - 18

...and just to compare...
HTDAAB:
1-1-3-5-6-4-8-11-8-12-18-15-16-12-15-18-17-21-23-23-30-42-22-//-...(out of top50 for 9 weeks)

U2: Access all areas - Music, Entertainment - Independent.ie
very interesting read:

----------
"(...)
Tuesday afternoon in Barcelona and it is very much, as Bono calls it, "first day back at school". Bono, the Edge, Paul McGuinness and U2's longtime friend and creative consultant Gavin Friday are seeing what Bono calls "the giant cactus" for the first time. No doubt the enormous space invader that sits in the middle of the stadium will become a familiar sight over the next year or two, part of the culture. But nothing can quite prepare you for the first time you see it. It's extraordinary. Later on, in darkness, I will see it do things I'm not even allowed tell you about. But the consensus is also that placing a circular stage, with no backdrop, towards the middle of the stadium will create more intimacy. It's easy to see how this blend of the space age and the intimate will lend itself to new U2 songs like the new album's title track No Line On The Horizon or Fez (Being Born).

No Line on the Horizon has been hailed by some as U2's best album ever and it has already sold five million copies. It is a return to the kind of European, experimental mood the band mined so successfully on Achtung Baby and Zooropa. It is also, you could imagine, their most overtly religious album since October. Magnificent is Bonanza meets the bible, Moment of Surrender is about religious epiphany (the theme of surrender pervades the album and indeed the new show) and even the hard-bitten journalism song Cedars of Lebanon seems to culminate in a question to God. This is perhaps surprising, given that U2 have tended to play down their religion in recent years, perhaps for fear of being labelled Christian Rock. (...)"
----------

I understand that the 5mln copies sold, actualy means "left Universal factories", right?

I understand that the 5mln copies sold, actualy means "left Universal factories", right?

Even producing five million by now would seem like too much, I think we had reports of 3 million shipped around the time of release so they're still being sold. I can't imagine more than 3.5 have been shipped at this point but you never know

Even producing five million by now would seem like too much, I think we had reports of 3 million shipped around the time of release so they're still being sold. I can't imagine more than 3.5 have been shipped at this point but you never know

The album has sold over 3 million by now so if initial shipment was 3.5 million they should be shipping additional copies in short. By the end of the year NLOTH will sell at least 4 million copies.
I agree that an initial shipment of 5 million copies seems a bit too much.

The album has sold over 3 million by now so if initial shipment was 3.5 million they should be shipping additional copies in short. By the end of the year NLOTH will sell at least 4 million copies.
I agree that an initial shipment of 5 million copies seems a bit too much.

3 million was the intial shipment, although I think they screwed it up. I'm currently in Canada and every store I go to still has like 100 copies of the album around the place so they obviously expected more sales. But if that happened in some markets then obviously other markets were under supplied, so I think 3.5 million would be the shipped figure right now

Big fathers day increase in UK this week...up 16 to #76 with ~3.1k so ~68% increase on last week. Total is now 312,604 (still, just, 7th best selling artist album of year so far).

Men rool! On mother's day fucking Ronan Keating and Take That surge up the chart. For dad's it is U2. I remember when rock & roll used to be dance music... show me!

Big fathers day increase in UK this week...up 16 to #76 with ~3.1k so ~68% increase on last week. Total is now 312,604 (still, just, 7th best selling artist album of year so far).

A tad disappointing though compared to Coldplay, they were behind U2 last week and are now 62 in the chart. Oh well an increase is an increase let's hope it stays top 100 next week

3 million was the intial shipment, although I think they screwed it up. I'm currently in Canada and every store I go to still has like 100 copies of the album around the place so they obviously expected more sales. But if that happened in some markets then obviously other markets were under supplied, so I think 3.5 million would be the shipped figure right now

They are getting ready for the Avalanche of Demand staring June 30:applaud:

L:huh:L

NLOTH comes in at #25 in the world with 40,300 copies sold on the "other" world chart, which puts it over 3,300,000 in sales since it's release.

No1 selling album in the world though for 2009!

NLOTH again moved 3 places in the US!!!

63 66 U2 No Line On The Horizon
Island/Interscope | 012630* | IGA
Peak:1 Wks On:16

NLOTH again moved 3 places in the US!!!

63 66 U2 No Line On The Horizon
Island/Interscope | 012630* | IGA
Peak:1 Wks On:16

what's that like 3000 copies or something? ouch........ :hmm: a U2 album shouldn't be in the mid 60s by wk15...

what's that like 3000 copies or something? ouch........ :hmm: a U2 album shouldn't be in the mid 60s by wk15...

Actually, more like 8000 copies, and it's week 16. :sexywink: But really, the chart run isn't that different from past U2 albums - like "Pop". And since we are all hoping that NLOTH at least has "Pop" like sales numbers, this is a good comparison.

NLOTH has the following run in its first 16 weeks:

1-3-2-6-12-14-16-22-34-36
43-55-58-69-66-63

"Pop" had the following run in its first 20 weeks:

1-2-8-12-14-13-13-15-15-18
20-29-33-42-49-56-68-89-96-101

The two albums had a similar start. While "Pop" spent more time in the Top 20 (11 weeks) and even Top 50 (15 weeks) than NLOTH has, once "Pop" started to fall, it fell fast and hard. By week 20, "Pop" was already out of the Top 100.

"Pop" was #56 in its 16th week, while NLOTH is #63 - so both are still close. NLOTH's true chart success will be determined in the coming weeks.

The album seems to have leveled a bit the past few weeks. The start of the tour combined with the odd endurance of "Magnificent" (the single that's never heard is actually gaining notice on the few stations that do play it and because of the CD remix single) and the fact that this album is rather good ("Pop" seemed to alienate many) might allow the album to continue lingering in the Top 100. If it remains in the 60's to 70's, it could see sales of 5-8K each week. Those do slowly add up.

Still, I wish the album had a flat out hit. I see Kings of Leon's album up high. Even though they haven't had a super big Hot 100 hit, their success on alternative radio has kept the album going strong. I'd love to see this for NLOTH. It deserves it. :yes:

Still, I wish the album had a flat out hit. I see Kings of Leon's album up high. Even though they haven't had a bit Hot 100 hit, their success on alternative radio has kept the album going strong. I'd love to see this for NLOTH. It deserves it. :yes:

They got to number 19 on billboard with their second single as well as number one on Modern Rock

Up 5,000 sales and 3 positions on mediatraffic to 22 with 40,000 sold this week

DoctorWho it's 21 weeks on the chart at 23 in the top 100 this week. Mostly on sales its airplay is 58 this week

Up 5,000 sales and 3 positions on mediatraffic to 22 with 40,000 sold this week

DoctorWho it's 21 weeks on the chart at 23 in the top 100 this week. Mostly on sales its airplay is 58 this week

I'm guessing you are referring to Magnificent's chart performance in Ireland, right? If so, do you think it still has a chance to eclipse it's previous peak of #19 on the Top 100 chart?

I'm guessing you are referring to Magnificent's chart performance in Ireland, right? If so, do you think it still has a chance to eclipse it's previous peak of #19 on the Top 100 chart?

We were refering to Kings of Leon's latest single's performance and how it's keeping their album at the top of the billboard charts despite being out for a year

Best Selling Albums in 2009 WORLDWIDE as of WEEK 26

1. U2 No Line On The Horizon 2,979,000

2. Lady Gaga The Fame 2,500,000
3. Eminem Relapse 1,996,000
4. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 1,894,000
5. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 1,867,000
6. Taylor Swift Fearless 1,857,000
7. Soundtrack Twilight 1,785,000
8. Soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 1,650,000
9. Green Day 21st Century Breakdown 1,521,000
10. Pink Funhouse 1,495,000

nloth n.22 this week on mediatraffic with 40.000 copies sold. so far have sold 2.979.000 on german source +7,5& not coverage by them the total amount worldwide is 3.202.000 copies sold.

I think the combination of extra father's day sales last week and the likely flood of Michael Jackson albums into the top 100 Uk albums this week could see a big drop in the UK this week, maybe even push NLOTH out of the top 100.

I think overall it's looking relatively healthy though, could hit 4,000,000 by the year's end.

Back
Top Bottom