Week 15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
even madonas latest album has sold more than NLOTH, i would have expected NLOTH to sell double what she has

that's cool you're comparing those two albums, to bad you did not remember to note that one was released 15 months ago, the other 4 months ago.

Question for anyone out there;
Does it matter to you if the album sells millions, or the fact that it's an album that you enjoy?
Just asking.

To me, I could care less if they sold 1 million or 10 million. I am just glad that I am enjoying it so much.

Wrong. I'm taking 2 friends, neither of them have bought or downloaded the album. Same with 2 other friends who were interested but couldn't make the dates. Only one of them has been listening to the album on one of those online stations where it was streaming for free. One can hear 'as much U2 as I want when I visit you'. The third has borrowed one of my copies and may decide to buy or not ti buiy his own copy once he'se heard it. All want to go and see U2 just because it's something you should have done at least once in your life. Nothing to do with the new album.

Sorry, but what happens with you and your friends is not representitive of the vast majority of people attending this tour.

Every album is affected by illegal downloads. All the chart positions are affected by illegal downloads too because the entire industry is taking a HUGE hit. .

Saying chart positions aren't affected by illegal downloading was more saying that if an album drops from 1 to 30 in a week, that's not illegal downloading. Illegal downloading affects sales, it should not really affect relative sales though

Question for anyone out there;
Does it matter to you if the album sells millions, or the fact that it's an album that you enjoy?
Just asking.

To me, I could care less if they sold 1 million or 10 million. I am just glad that I am enjoying it so much.

To me the two things just don't even cross at all, I can like an album without it having any success or I can have an interest in how an album charts without liking it. I'd like NLOTH to sell more because I like the album, if it doesn't it doesn't, and it's just other peoples lose

even madonas latest album has sold more than NLOTH, i would have expected NLOTH to sell double what she has

Confessions on the Dancefloor matched Bomb's success worldwide I think, plus she had a huge hit single with her album so it's no surprise she outsold them so far

Except in the Uk the album has been a relative flop, since chart positions ARE NOT AFFECTED by illegal downloading the album should be doing better. Maybe people downloaded it and hated it? Maybe people want to see U2 for their past hits? How many people listen to the newest Rolling Stones album before seeing them in concert?

When was the last time the Rolling Stones had the biggest selling album worldwide or had sales or chart positions equal to No Line On The Horizon in the UK?

And the album can't be compared to Joshua Tree at all, the album has had no real competition worldwide at all so far, it's not even half the hit the Joshua Tree was

The Joshua Tree was the best selling album at this time in 1987, the mid-point of the year. No Line On The Horizon is the best selling album of 2009 at the mid-point of the year. The comparison is rather easy to make. In fact, you might even be able to argue that No Line On The Horizon is doing better than Joshua Tree when you compare it to how the rest of the top 10 is selling.

Madonna's latest album with 3.2 million in sales worldwide, was the 9th biggest selling album of 2008. The #9 position in 2009 though won't be able to sell that many copies do to continuing decline in the market.

Were almost at the 6 month mark now, and No Line On The Horizon is the biggest selling album of 2009 by a considerable margin.

When was the last time the Rolling Stones had the biggest selling album worldwide or had sales or chart positions equal to No Line On The Horizon in the UK?

The Joshua Tree was the best selling album at this time in 1987, the mid-point of the year. No Line On The Horizon is the best selling album of 2009 at the mid-point of the year. The comparison is rather easy to make. In fact, you might even be able to argue that No Line On The Horizon is doing better than Joshua Tree when you compare it to how the rest of the top 10 is selling.

You can't compare this album to Joshua Tree at all, Joshua Tree spent 30+ weeks in the US top ten, NLOTH is in freefall in the US right now. It spent over 35+ weeks in the European top ten. Joshua Tree was huge everywhere, NLOTH is a decent hit that's only the best selling albums worldwide because there has been no real competition so far, it's not even that big an album to most people

Actually, BOMB outsold Confessions by 2 million copies.

Did it really? I though Confessions was on at least 8 million, maybe closer to 9, which U2.com reported as Bomb's sales

Oh dear God.

Dave Matthews Band dropped from 420k in the US 38k second week. That's got to be one of the biggest drops in history. Looks like all the hardcore fans went out and bought it right away! :huh:

Oh dear God.

Dave Matthews Band dropped from 420k in the US 38k second week. That's got to be one of the biggest drops in history. Looks like all the hardcore fans went out and bought it right away! :huh:

hits is final, and DMB dropped about 70%, which is the norm for big first-week sellers

You can't compare this album to Joshua Tree at all, Joshua Tree spent 30+ weeks in the US top ten, NLOTH is in freefall in the US right now. It spent over 35+ weeks in the European top ten. Joshua Tree was huge everywhere, NLOTH is a decent hit that's only the best selling albums worldwide because there has been no real competition so far, it's not even that big an album to most people

No Line On The Horizon is the biggest selling album of 2009 to this point just as the Joshua Tree was in 1987. It does not matter how many weeks it spent in the top 10, top 40, in Europe or the USA. What matters is how well it SOLD in the CURRENT market environment VS other albums! That alone and nothing else determines the success of this or any album in 2009.

Plus what is this with "real competition"? How could you not consider M&M and Green Day to not be "real competition"? M&M by the way is the biggest album seller of the past 10 years. The idea is just as absurd as saying that the only reason that Joshua Tree was the biggest seller in 1987 was because it had no real competition.

Did it really? I though Confessions was on at least 8 million, maybe closer to 9, which U2.com reported as Bomb's sales

Confessions 7 million, BOMB 9 million.

No Line On The Horizon is the biggest selling album of 2009 to this point just as the Joshua Tree was in 1987. It does not matter how many weeks it spent in the top 10, top 40, in Europe or the USA. What matters is how well it SOLD in the CURRENT market environment VS other albums! That alone and nothing else determines the success of this or any album in 2009.

Plus what is this with "real competition"? How could you not consider M&M and Green Day to not be "real competition"? M&M by the way is the biggest album seller of the past 10 years. The idea is just as absurd as saying that the only reason that Joshua Tree was the biggest seller in 1987 was because it had no real competition.

Eminem has only just come out, if he was out in March maybe he would of outsold them you can't compare him. And it's no surprise Green Day flopped they had one big album and a flop single, they weren't consistently big for years

But Confessions did 6 million in just Europe and the US, it must of sold more than 7

lol yea joshua tree had no competition. in 1987. guns n roses, whitesnake, off the top of my head.

Actually, INXS and G&R didn't break out until '88, even '89.

The big competition in '87 was Bon Jovi and Michael Jackson. Per Billboard, both of those albums "sold better" (in terms of overall chart performance) than JT. In other words, JT was the #3 album of the year.

Confessions On A Dancefloor definitely sold over 8 million copies. But then again, U2's title may have sold more than 9 million (probably close to 10 million).

Actually, INXS and G&R didn't break out until '88, even '89.

The big competition in '87 was Bon Jovi and Michael Jackson. Per Billboard, both of those albums "sold better" (in terms of overall chart performance) than JT. In other words, JT was the #3 album of the year.

In the November to November Billboard chart, Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet sold more in the United States, but if your just looking at January 1, 1987 to December 31, 1987, Joshua Tree outsold Slippery When Wet in the USA. Michael Jackson did not beat Joshua Tree in 1987 especially on the Billboard chart since his album was released late in the year and had most of its impact felt in 1988.

Worldwide, Joshua Tree is the biggest seller of 1987.

Eminem has only just come out, if he was out in March maybe he would of outsold them you can't compare him. And it's no surprise Green Day flopped they had one big album and a flop single, they weren't consistently big for years

Well, just look at No Line On The Horizon's first 3 weeks on chart, VS Eminem's Relapse's first 3 weeks on chart. No Line On The Horizon is the bigger seller worldwide. You say that now about Green Day, but that is not what people were predicting prior to its release. Plus, the sales of Green Day's album are not a flop at all. Its nearly in the top 10 worldwide.

Relapse 3 weeks after release: 1,670,000 sold worldwide

No Line On The Horizon 3 weeks after release: 1,965,000 sold worldwide

Also, Green Day's first single has recieved lots of airplay, enough to crack the Hot 100 Airplay ONLY chart in the USA.

In the November to November Billboard chart, Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet sold more in the United States, but if your just looking at January 1, 1987 to December 31, 1987, Joshua Tree outsold Slippery When Wet in the USA. Michael Jackson did not beat Joshua Tree in 1987 especially on the Billboard chart since his album was released late in the year and had most of its impact felt in 1988.

Why does it matter, 20 years after the fact, which album sold the most copies in some constrained 12 month period when they were all released at different times? At this point I would think total sales is more relevant...

Various-Dirty Dancing Soundtrack (1987) 42m
Andrew Lloyd Webber-The Phantom of the Opera (1986) 40m
Michael Jackson-Bad (1987) 30m
Bon Jovi-Slippery When Wet (1986) 28m
Guns N' Roses-Appetite for Destruction (1987) 28m
U2-The Joshua Tree (1987) 25m
Madonna-True Blue (1986) 24m
Def Leppard-Hysteria (1987) 20m
George Michael-Faith (1987) 20m

Why does it matter, 20 years after the fact, which album sold the most copies in some constrained 12 month period when they were all released at different times? At this point I would think total sales is more relevant...

Various-Dirty Dancing Soundtrack (1987) 42m
Andrew Lloyd Webber-The Phantom of the Opera (1986) 40m
Michael Jackson-Bad (1987) 30m
Bon Jovi-Slippery When Wet (1986) 28m
Guns N' Roses-Appetite for Destruction (1987) 28m
U2-The Joshua Tree (1987) 25m
Madonna-True Blue (1986) 24m
Def Leppard-Hysteria (1987) 20m
George Michael-Faith (1987) 20m

Are you certain about those 25 m for JT? It might have sold more than that.

Because were COMPARING the initial sales(1st year) of No Line On The Horizon in 2009 to that of Joshua Tree in 1987. Both albums were released in March of their respective years.

Remember, the topic here is No Line On The Horizon and how well it has done so far this year in sales. Just like the Joshua Tree at this point in 1987, it is the top selling album worldwide for the year 2009!

Are you certain about those 25 m for JT? It might have sold more than that.

Indeed, I've seen figures that show it past 30 million years ago. Plus there are less than 10 albums that have sold 40 million plus worldwide and Dirty Douncing Soundtrack and Phantom of the Opera are not among them.

I never have read that Dirty dancing soundtrack and Phantom had sold that huge numbers above 40 million mark, these albums clearly sold less records than the Joshua tree to date (I'm calculating 30 mill units sold for JT to date).

Billboard's 1987 end of year chart lists "Slippery..." as the #1 album of the year. "Bad" was #2. JT was #3. I'm not stating that one outsold the other, but rather, based on Billboard's system at the time, this was their order.

Until I see actual hard numbers, it's difficult to debate which album was really the biggest seller in the U.S. and worldwide for many of U2's releases. But there's that famous report of JT selling 14M worldwide in 1987. Is that enough to be #1 for the year? Don't know, but it is very possible.

up 3 places in U.S.A.

BBTOP 200

66 U2 NO LINE ON THE HORIZON 7,720 4 7,457 925,919

Even though it's only a few hundred sales difference, it's nice to see. :up:

I haven't updated the entire chart run, with sales and Billboard's numbers, in a few weeks. Can someone provide that info.? It can be posted here or in the "Complete Chart Run" thread.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom